Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

"Will the stop the Zeti and make it home in time for Spaghetti?" Delightful. I wonder if Ian wrote that solicit because honestly that's sound a little bit like him.

Also I'm so pumped to see Spaz make a comeback. Makes sense it'd be for the big 30th Anniversary. 

11 hours ago, Dangerous Duck CC14 said:

Speaking of Archie, here's a treat: this press release for the Anniversary one-shot reveals that the two retail incentive variant covers will be done by Tyson Hesse...and Patrick Spaziante! Spaz is back!

Also solicits:

Hide contents

YoT74vx.jpg

StH #42

Ian Flynn (w) • Adam Bryce Thomas (a) • Priscilla Tramontano (c)

“Zeti Hunt,” part two! Now that Zavok has his pack, it’s time for them to make a big move. But Jewel the Beetle, newly appointed Restoration leader, has called on Sonic, Tails, and the Chaotix to run interference. Will they be able to stop the Zeti and make it home in time for spaghetti!?

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

GKeFMRz.jpg

StH 30th Anniversary 

Ian Flynn; Gale Galligan; Justin, Travis, and Griffin McElroy (w) •Aaron Hammerstrom & Reggie Graham, Mauro Fosenca, Thomas Rothlisberger (a) • Sonic Team (c)

After 30 years of going fast, it’s time for fans to celebrate the speediest hedgehog of all time! It’s an unbelievable birthday celebration for Sonic the Hedgehog with his first Classic Sonic special!

First, in “Seasons of Chaos” by longtime Sonic scribe Ian Flynn and artists Aaron Hammerstrom & Reggie Graham, Sonic goes on an adventure from pleasant spring valleys to wintry wonderlands in search of the Chaos Emeralds. But Sonic’s not alone, with a little help from his friends Miles “Tails” Prower, Knuckles the Echidna, Amy Rose, Mighty the Armadillo, and Ray the Flying Squirrel, they’ll race, fight, and fly their way to victory against the baddest of baddies!

Then, in “Dr. Eggman’s Birthday,” the vile, villainous Dr. Eggman takes center stage in a story written by New York Times bestseller Gale Galligan (The Babysitters Club)! And how does the bad doctor celebrate the occasion? Only his Badniks know for sure…

Finally, in “Sonic Learns to Drive,” Sonic’s up against a tough challenge: Driving! When the fastest thing alive can outrun any car, will Sonic have the patience to learn… or will he finally get left in the dust? Written by the hosts of My Brother, My Brother, and Me, The Adventure Zone, and New York Times bestsellers, the McElroy Brothers!

Grab a slice of chili dog cake and don’t get left in the dust on the most way past cool book of the year!

FC • 80 pages • $8.99

Spoiler

Hm...odd how a story about the Deadly Six and Chaotix have the IDW original heroines on the cover.

Who do we think are gonna be fighting the Classic heroes and teaching Sonic to drive, respectively?

FCBD solicitation. Judging by the writer, this is most likely the bonus story included in the one-shot's hardcover:

Seeing Spaz being back has got me so hyped. He is a freakin legend. Spaz and Yuji Uekawa are my two all time favorite Sonic artists.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, HywelAtTheMoon said:

Back to her fan-fiction. Sonic Boom did this.

Oh wait, you're right--that was a thing!

Recently I discovered Spaz is like 70 years old so seeing him STILL put his amazing talent on Sonic is amazing, super hyped 

56 minutes ago, Soniman said:

Recently I discovered Spaz is like 70 years old so seeing him STILL put his amazing talent on Sonic is amazing, super hyped 

Holy shit, you're right!

No wonder his artwork seems almost legendary.

1 hour ago, Soniman said:

Must be a different guy, because there's a video with Spaz from last year and he looks to be in his late 40s at the most.

7 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

Must be a different guy, because there's a video with Spaz from last year and he looks to be in his late 40s at the most.

The only source of his year of birth says 1950. That would make him about 70.

However, it's only the year, no specific dates. Could mean the info is wrong, but Spaz isn't exactly a publicly spoken guy, so it's difficult to find out.

Yeah I don't mind the story idea of Amy writing a fan fiction, it fits the character maybe. Liked that episode of Boom from what I remember.

It's the story of Sonic learning to drive that has me perplexed, not really interesting but maybe funny?

I just wish they had done "Seasons of Chaos" the whole story rather than lots of minor stories, I find the idea really cool and wanted a full comic of it. I guess they wanted more writers on board and hence the multiple (filler) stories?

As for the girls being on a cover, remember it's just one of the covers for one of the issues in the whole arc. The Zeti I think already got 1 and so will the Chaotix, don't worry.

52 minutes ago, Jack-ted said:

As for the girls being on a cover, remember it's just one of the covers for one of the issues in the whole arc. The Zeti I think already got 1 and so will the Chaotix, don't worry.

How many issues are in the arc though? For whatever reason, I'm under the impression that it's a two or three parter

12 hours ago, Soniman said:

That is crazy to me. I thought he was like in college or something when he first got the job not in his 40's.

It's the story of Sonic learning to drive that has me perplexed, not really interesting but maybe funny?

I just wish they had done "Seasons of Chaos" the whole story rather than lots of minor stories, I find the idea really cool and wanted a full comic of it. I guess they wanted more writers on board and hence the multiple (filler) stories?

Here's the thing though this is about 80 pages long and has 3 stories in it. These will all most likely all be about an issue's length. And anyway I'm personally all here for some fun lighthearted fluff.

5 hours ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

The only source of his year of birth says 1950. That would make him about 70.

However, it's only the year, no specific dates. Could mean the info is wrong, but Spaz isn't exactly a publicly spoken guy, so it's difficult to find out.

The guy in that video was clearly in his late 40s at the most, so the only way Spaz could be 70 is if that interview was conducted 20+ years ago, and the person conducting the interview didn't even look 20.

8 hours ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

The guy in that video was clearly in his late 40s at the most, so the only way Spaz could be 70 is if that interview was conducted 20+ years ago, and the person conducting the interview didn't even look 20.

I'n not saying I disagree, even I find it hard to believe he'd really be 70. All I'm saying is that the only source we have for Spaz's birthday would make him 70 years old, even though it doesn't seem right in any way, especially since the source only says the year but no month or day.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:55 PM, PC the Hedgehog said:

The interview in that video was not conducted by the creator of that video. It's a clip from an interview conducted in 2010 at NYCC. I'm going to go out on a limb and say Spaziante isn't 60 at the time that interview was conducted. If he is, he's found the fountain of youth and I need to track him down to learn where it is. Here's a Sonic Stadium article about the interview when it was posted.

Wow, was it really issue #151 where Nicole gets her Lynx body? I actually really like Nicole, they do some cool stuff with her, and like I say I haven't even got past #220 yet.

But yeah, #150 is a real trainwreck. The implications it has are very troubling, but to be honest I do try to look at it rather humourously as well. I mean, the plot literally is "Sonic's evil doppleganger pretends to be Sonic so he can get laid, for the landmark 150th issue." It's awful but also amazingly absurd.

If we had to rank the worst singular issues of Archie Sonic, I think #150 has to be at the bottom, for both stories it contains. Just 7 more issues of Penders left.

3 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

Wow, was it really issue #151 where Nicole gets her Lynx body? I actually really like Nicole, they do some cool stuff with her, and like I say I haven't even got past #220 yet.

But yeah, #150 is a real trainwreck. The implications it has are very troubling, but to be honest I do try to look at it rather humourously as well. I mean, the plot literally is "Sonic's evil doppleganger pretends to be Sonic so he can get laid, for the landmark 150th issue." It's awful but also amazingly absurd.

If we had to rank the worst singular issues of Archie Sonic, I think #150 has to be at the bottom, for both stories it contains. Just 7 more issues of Penders left.

Knowing what his mindset and priorities were at the time, one can't help but wonder if Penders missed the memo of when the nearest milestone was while trying to reset what Bollers had done.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Knowing what his mindset and priorities were at the time, one can't help but wonder if Penders missed the memo of when the nearest milestone was while trying to reset what Bollers had done.

Penders was never one for consulting the others writers on staff.

• Thumbs Up 2

Art for this arc is fantastic and reminds me of some of the more experimental levels from the ps2 era. Thinking of the " shadow goes into the internet after chopping a computer " level. It makes me wish the games did that these days, forces seemed like it was possibly going in that direction, but it ends up being normal in the end

On 3/17/2021 at 4:48 AM, Jack-ted said:

A couple of things I want to get off my mind:

Archie characters and canon immigrants in general I feel are the perfect fit for the comics, because there is more time here to deal with the extended cast. So yeah it would not be a problem.

I don't want IDW to become Archie. 2.0. either, I feel like it should be games focused which it is, it is strictly Modern Sonic here. Abd honestly they are vastly different from Archie so far. Just look at the less world building and cast size differences.

Eggman is 100% game Eggman, an asshole, immature and doesn't care about anything, pretty egoistical. Besides he has done plans on par with zombie apocalypse in recent games.

The thing is, I'm pretty sure Archie stuff is off limits because Ian said it, Ian obviously wanted the Freedom Fighters back and he said that. Imo they can only be brought back in a reboot fashion.

I think post reboot archie characters could return. But I figure IDW wants to focus on their own cast and they weren't really defined anyway. Though I do have a question....can they still do fish? Reboot archie had a whole under water world. Is fish world still allowed in sonic?

1 hour ago, Cadence said:

Art for this arc is fantastic and reminds me of some of the more experimental levels from the ps2 era. Thinking of the " shadow goes into the internet after chopping a computer " level. It makes me wish the games did that these days, forces seemed like it was possibly going in that direction, but it ends up being normal in the end

That's a fair way to look at it. Now it's making me think of the Nicole arc incidentally.

1 hour ago, Cadence said:

I think post reboot archie characters could return. But I figure IDW wants to focus on their own cast and they weren't really defined anyway. Though I do have a question....can they still do fish? Reboot archie had a whole under water world. Is fish world still allowed in sonic?

Yes and his name is Mimic.

2 hours ago, Cadence said:

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

Yes and his name is Mimic.

I don't think we have confirmation about fish in general. Octopus feels like a special case since they can look humanoid enough without adding additional limbs. If they're gonna do fish again, I hope they're more weird and underwater-y instead of "regular mobian with fish theme". 

I think a fish's body plan is closer to a human's than an octopus' is...

• Fist Bump 1