Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

Just now, Sonictrainer said:

I'm still wondering how Mimic can breathe on land...

Maybe it's like how the aquatic mobians worked in Archie. 

3 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I'm wondering how they can breathe in space.

• Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, Petrifying Panda said:

https://previewsworld.com/Catalog/AUG190726

click the link at the bottom

Hide contents

oh god is Froggy a zombot?

I'm gonna assume what happened during Lost World is a particularly sore spot for Zavok. Gotta love how the artist actually had a handle on his design until he had to think about his face from above.

I'm also gonna assume that that's Vector showing up at the end.

1 hour ago, Marco9966 said:

I love how Ian Flynn makes good use of some "not much liked" modern elements like the Wisps and the Zetis.

What other game elements you'd like him to do (maybe Chao gardens)

Uh, are the Wisps really a case of  "not much liked?" 

33 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

I'm wondering how they can breathe in space.

Their bodies have evolved to store oxygen while they're in vacuum conditions. While they're underwater, there's plenty of oxygen, they just can't use it because they have lungs. 

39 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

I think Octopi are capable of surviving on land for at least a while.

16 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

I think Octopi are capable of surviving on land for at least a while.

Or he morphs into things that can indefinitely.

Either the masks are some extraordinarily advanced technology (I'd say that's fair given some of the stuff we've seen in the series over the years) or it's straight up magic. Part of me really wants to know how it works but the rest loves the mystery...

The part with Amy and Cream hugging is one of the most precious things in the comic so far. I've never been a huge Cream fan, but she's been used really well so far in IDW Sonic.

Also, I don't recall if I'd asked this before, but why do the digital versions of the comics not show the variant covers on the credits page?

Oh, I completely overlooked the one new Whisper page. It being the Cyan Wisp was nice.

Also, that's the saddest I've ever seen Zazz.

10 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

The part with Amy and Cream hugging is one of the most precious things in the comic so far. I've never been a huge Cream fan, but she's been used really well so far in IDW Sonic.

Probably because they can actually use her in interpersonal situations fairly often.

Record scratch

Oh wow they are just retconning forces

Shoutouts to shadow the hedgehog ( game references) . Also I guess that's how they do that, kind of a cop out but there's one more issue.

But uh retcons huh

2 hours ago, Dr Egg-Gin said:

Reveal hidden contents

Ah, it's surprising and nice to see Vector and Espio unified in their dumbassery.

You know, bad things happening to characters and things not going their way isn't dumbassery right?

55 minutes ago, shdowhunt60 said:

You know, bad things happening to characters and things not going their way isn't dumbassery right?

The way the sequence of events played out it's 50% their fault.

So, it's a pretty meh situation to be honest.

I really liked this chapter, though more so the Tangle and Whisper one. This chapter really went all out on casualties and drama. I really liked that. Yeesh it's bad. More heroes down, more to probably go.

So now we got the Whisper details and I think she shot up as best girl for me. I find her more interesting than Blaze though wonder where she will be going from here on out after the mini series climax. Sometimes once a mystery is revealed, suddenly a character loses part of their intrigue. Too soon to call, but I hope she doesn't go stagnant after this.

1 hour ago, shdowhunt60 said:

No it was dumb

I understand why they did it and makes sense for em. But it was dumb

Not all dumb is narratively bad. Sometimes people make mistakes

Sonic 22 plus Tangle & Whisper 3

Well, I know not every story needs a shocking surprise, but T&W was very predictable. I knew pretty much everything that's gonna happen save for small details. But hey, girls are still very likeable and art is good. Maybe that's enough.

Spoiler

Diamon Cutters are okay. Nothing great, but they are meant to be dead. Interesting that Cube belonged to Mimic.

Shadow Androids. Eh, makes sense, but didn't we had perfectly working Phantom Clone running around? It would make for more dramatic scene, watching those guys being wrecked by "real" Shadow. Assuming none of them knows about his kick-to-the-head weakness. Also, isn't yellow Android a little more 'default' then orange?

As for main book... decent enough, but last issue was better.

Art is pretty good, but  little tip : Cream looks better when her ears are naturally blended with rest of the head, not separate with line. Otherwise we have perfect ball shape and that's slightly funny looking.

Scene with Zeti is a little pointless, if fairly harmless. BTW, what zone are they now? I don't recall Castlevania Clock Tower in Lost World.

Also, page 7, Cream talking to Gemerl. Chick on the right looks like Sally going through some rebel phase.

Spoiler

Overall this issue is as good as all the "feels" get to you. And while Amy tried her best, with whole thing falling on her watch, loosing Vanilla and stuff, in the end it was Vector scene that got to me.

I think the trick is that there is more emotion that just 'sadness'. Vector is surprisingly calm about everything. Espio is actually devastated, while being 'left in charge'. And on top of that Gemerl's "he's very strong" isn't a complement to fallen comrade, but sad reminder that there isn't even time for tears. It's kinda moving.

13 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Sonic 22 plus Tangle & Whisper 3

Well, I know not every story needs a shocking surprise, but T&W was very predictable. I knew pretty much everything that's gonna happen save for small details. But hey, girls are still very likeable and art is great. Maybe that's enough.

Hide contents

Diamon Cutters are okay. Nothing great, but they are meant to be dead. Interesting that Cube belonged to Mimic.

Shadow Androids. Eh, makes sense, but didn't we had perfectly working Phantom Clone running around? It would make for more dramatic scene, watching those guys being wrecked by Shadow himself. Assuming none of them knows about his kick-to-the-head weakness. Also, isn't yellow Android a little more 'default' then orange?

As for main book... decent enough, but last issue was better.

Art is pretty good, but  little tip : Cream looks better when her ears are naturally blended with rest of the head, not separate with line. Otherwise we have perfect ball shape and that's slightly funny looking.

Scene with Zeti is a little pointless, if fairly harmless. BTW, what zone are they now? I don't recall Castlevania Clock Tower in Lost World.

Also, page 7, Cream talking to Gemerl. Chick on the right looks like Sally going through some rebel phase.

Reveal hidden contents

Overall this issue is as good as all the "feels" get to you. And while Amy tried her best, with whole thing falling on her watch, loosing Vanilla and stuff, in the end it was Vector scene that got to me.

I think the trick is that there is more emotion that just 'sadness'. Vector is surprisingly calm about everything. Espio is actually devastated, while being 'left in charge'. And on top of that Gemerl's "he's very strong" isn't a complement to fallen comrade, but sad reminder that there isn't even time for tears. It's kinda moving.

That's the retcon

They aren't running around

Pay attention to the dialog

23 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the retcon

I have no idea what you're talking about. Which dialog?

This flashback takes place during Forces, right? So 'soulless fake' Shadow should be somewhere around.

20 minutes ago, Shadowlax said:

That's the retcon

Not a retcon in my opinion. Eggman might use the Shadow clones to conquer the world. But he decided to use his stock of Shadow robots as a backup (maybe Infinite decides to use shadow clones against him? maybe someone steals his original phantom ruby?)

I wonder whose idea it was to keep the metallic toddler inside an Sonic Adventure 1 capsule.

Those things are notoriously fragile.

Spoiler

Spoiler

47 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

I have no idea what you're talking about. Which dialog?

This flashback takes place during Forces, right? So 'soulless fake' Shadow should be somewhere around.

Spoiler

They said hedgehogs were Mia, the only two hedgehogs he could be referring to are sonic and shadow. Amy is around, so is silver and his existence in general is limited knowledge

And the leader knows who shadow is because hes about to say his name.

There are no shadow clones, as of currently at least. I dont think sega wants to associate shadow with that.

44 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

Not a retcon in my opinion. Eggman might use the Shadow clones to conquer the world. But he decided to use his stock of Shadow robots as a backup (maybe Infinite decides to use shadow clones against him? maybe someone steals his original phantom ruby?)

I dont think so , after the fight where all the villagers conveniently vanished.I think the intent is clear

"Shadow was gone. Where was he , dont ask. There were no clones shadow wasn't there"

Spoiler

I could be wrong and those shadow clones are the backup. But uh , I dont think so

1 minute ago, Shadowlax said:

They said hedgehogs were Mia, the only two hedgehogs he could be referring to are sonic and shadow. Amy is around, so is silver and his existence in general is limited knowledge

And the leader knows who shadow is because hes about to say his name.

There are no shadow clones, as of currently at least. I dont think sega wants to associate shadow with that.

I dont think so , after the fight where all the villagers conveniently vanished.I think the intent is clear

"Shadow was gone. Where was he , dont ask. There were no clones shadow wasn't there"

I could be wrong and those shadow clones are the backup. But uh , I dont think so

That's because Shadow also disappeared during 6 months before appearing again (when he saves Sonic from a Shadow clone in Sonic Forces).

In the Sonic forces prequel comic number 3 and Episode Shadow we can assume Infinite traps Shadow in a pocket dimension.

So the hedgehogs MIA are: Sonic trapped in the death Egg, Shadow trapped in the pocket dimension