Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Because it exists as a relatively direct companion to the games, unlike a lot of other Sonic media being weird offshoots. The series has suffered a lot due to a lack of a consistent identity, and having a new comic run off and blatantly contradict important parts of the setting just for the sake of it wouldn't help with that.

It’s hard to contradict stuff that has never been consistent to begin with.

4 minutes ago, Ernest the Panda said:

It’s hard to contradict stuff that has never been consistent to begin with.

This, though, that Knuckles is the last of his kind, has been consistent in the games (Chronicles doesn't count). It's not something that should be thrown out trivially.

Even if I were to make a fan comic of something, there are still things I'd personally adhere to for the sake of wanting to feel as authentic as possible. I wouldn't go against the last of the echidna's thing. Definitely not.

Especially since it's actually far more interesting that he's the last one. When you hear a concept like "he's the last of something" the easiest and most expected "twist" on that idea is to go "Psyche. Turns out he totally isn't the last one" which I also don't feel would lead to much other than an excuse to have a cheap surprise. Anything you wish to explore about Knuckles' past wouldn't necessarily need another echidna showing up. Unless they were already dead, like I assume Tikal is. 

I'm also not the kind of guy who likes mixing the "Classic" characters and the ones from the TV shows with the "3D Modern" ones. Despite liking Bocoe and Decoe the best, were I to make a comic, I wouldn't think of using anyone other than Orbot and Cubot as the lackeys. That's just kind of how I am, personally. This format is more up my alley.

I don't consider it a detriment to anything. There's already a lot you can do with just one version of Sonic. 

This is intriguing because Ian did answer a question about mixing the universes on the Bumbklekast recently. They went on for a long time about what concepts they could potentially make use of but did ultimately land on being fine with where they were.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wouldn't mind it being revealed that there are still a few echindas running around here and there tht are just unaware of their heritage. That's a relatively easy concession that wouldn't really break anything from the game canon. I wouldn't be put off as a game fan if they said she was one. 

But like...it's not a big deal. Especially in this instance where this character being an echinda wouldn't affect anything about a story that's focused on something completely different.

Actually I think the Archie reboot had a good approach -- just have Tikal's spirit hanging around the island.

• Thumbs Up 4

Wait a second

41 minutes ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

Screw the lore, I want to see other echidnas. I don't care what's "canon" BECAUSE THE BOOK IS FUCKING NON-CANON. Why not go a little more wild with the source material? Why keep treating as if it's canon when it's not? The book in general suffers from this. IDW Sonic should've been what it was first advertised: a fresh start. I was hoping that it would stray away from the previous comic, but also the games.e.

16 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

People are so fucking hyper-focused on THE MANDATES all the time that they can't conceive of all the shit that can be done even within those guidelines. 

1. It's not mandates so much as canon.

11/2. I don't get it--what species is she supposed to be per the fan?

2. Stop saying people when it's just one person.

2 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

2. Stop saying people when it's just one person.

Multiple people across multiple threads on multiple sites have brought up The Sega Mandates™ for years.

As for the species of that one character, uh, I dunno, a cat with funky dreadlocks?

8 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Actually I think the Archie reboot had a good approach -- just have Tikal's spirit hanging around the island.

I never really minded the whole "secret society of echinda that still exists" thing from the old canon to be honest. Or at least I didn't really mind the concept. The characters and stories were just boring even after ken left. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Even if I were to make a fan comic of something, there are still things I'd personally adhere to for the sake of wanting to feel as authentic as possible. 

I'm also not the kind of guy who likes mixing the "Classic" characters and the ones from the TV shows with the "3D Modern" ones. Despite liking Bocoe and Decoe the best, were I to make a comic, I wouldn't think of using anyone other than Orbot and Cubot as the lackeys. That's just kind of how I am, personally. This format is more up my alley.

Hm...I suppose that's fair.

For me, it depends.

11 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Yeah, that was great.

It helps that it's a little vague as to what exactly she is technically, to say nothing of the door being open for Chaos being inherently immortal.

6 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

I still don't know how Knuckles ended up being the last of his kind 

Echidnas got mostly wiped out after Chaos's rampage. The survivors carried on living on Angel Island, their population dwindling over the ages, until eventually we end up with Knuckles as the lone survivor of his tribe.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Heckboy said:

Multiple people across multiple threads on multiple sites have brought up The Sega Mandates™ for years.

As for the species of that one character, uh, I dunno, a cat with funky dreadlocks?

Well Kello 2, I can't say that's totally applicable here and now.

5 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Pachacamac couldn't open his hearteyes and see that he was telling his men to assault his own daughter as well as effectual babies, thereby leaving no one to stop Perfect Chaos from killing [almost] everyone in the city until it was too late.

8 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

His dad walked through a wall of fire. But, an actual wall of fire this time. He's dead.

I get not wanting to fill in details, but is it really just hard to assume that breeding season was less and less blooming over time.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

I get not wanting to fill in details, but is it really just hard to assume that breeding season was less and less blooming over time.

Maybe they were just dying faster than they could breed.

I know that The Knuckles clan was annihilated by Chaos, but that was thousands of years before knuckles was even born 

Unless if they have biological or resource limitations  they surely could have just reproduced enough to prevent this

Logically it doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's just something I take at face value.

I feel like if Sonic had more actual creatives that were interested in telling stories involved  someone would have tackled this by now. There's probably a story there 

3 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

I know that The Knuckles clan was annihilated by Chaos, but that was thousands of years before knuckles was even born 

Unless if they have biological or resource limitations  they surely could have just reproduced enough to prevent this

Maybe StC was on to something, and Knuckles is an immortal reincarnated through the ages.

Maybe Knuckles was abandoned on the island, and maybe grew up alone not knowing that there are more of him.

1 hour ago, StaticMania said:

That's a lot less likely.

One last son.

Not necessarily. 

If Pachacamac was already on some sort of war crusade, it's likely that the enemies they made seized an opportunity to keep swiping at them and dwindling their numbers even further down as some sort of cheap retribution once it was realized that they were on their last legs.

Then all of a sudden, "Whoops. There goes our last female."

Since Knack is a confirmed hybrid in the Japanese Canon meaning that species can mix, couldn't the girl just be a descendant of some Echidna who left the island and had kids with a cat?

Then Knuckles would still be the last "full blooded Echidna"

3 minutes ago, ComeAsYouAre said:

Since Knack is a confirmed hybrid in the Japanese Canon meaning that species can mix, couldn't the girl just be a descendant of some Echidna who left the island and had kids with a cat?

Then Knuckles would still be the last "full blooded Echidna"

I don't see why  not.

Although I sorta get the vibe that Fang may not be a little hybrid so much as a weird breed of Jerboa.