Awoo.

IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

36 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Wish Ian didn't say Amy was all over the place for her role and not something like "girlfriend" as that's her role. Makes me think he only wants butt kicking females in his book.

Sega Amy isn't a girlfriend anyway

Amy found a good balance of butt kicking and moral compass work toward the end of Ian's run at Archie, so I'm not particularly worried about it.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't like that he said that Sonic shouldn't be too serious. Outside of avoiding material that isn't appropriate for kids, the writers should tell what ever story they want. Handicapping yourself because of a narrow focus of the franchise or how you think people might react if you try is absolutely depressing.

23 minutes ago, Slashy said:

I don't like that he said that Sonic shouldn't be too serious. Outside of avoiding material that isn't appropriate for kids, the writers should tell what ever story they want. 

latest?cb=20090405110050

Charmy, Mighty, Vector and Espio overdose on LSD.

Some stories don't really work with Sonic characters...

Also, the bolded points in this quote are important.

IDW is brand new. There's no connection from before aside from the creators that are involved. All of us are approaching this as a blank slate. This is fresh, new, just-off-the-vine Sonic. You don't even have to be super familiar with the games to get into it. If you know that Sonic is fast, he fights robots, and Dr. Eggman is a villain? Boom. You're set. I'm going to jump in and treat this series how Sonic adventures should be. Fast-paced and fun. Takes itself seriously enough so that you're engaged, but not so serious that you're rolling your eyes and saying, "Come on, this is a blue hedgehog. Chill out." I would love for there to be an opportunity down the line to at least cover the notes of what I would've done with the old series, but we are in uncharted waters at this point. The IDW book hasn't even launched yet. It's brand new and so is our relationship with Sega. We're feeling out what everyone's comfortable with and what we can do with the future. So right now, I'm not focused so much on resolving the past as I am setting up a successful future. Whatever comes from that down the line should be interesting.

• Nice Smile 1

3 hours ago, Fire-N-Space said:

. Makes me think he (Flynn) only wants butt kicking females in his book.

Relic, Breezie, Coral, Undina, Cream (which actually annoyed one or two people).

You want Preboot? Hope, Mina, every 'mother' character, still Cream.

Amy has a large Piko Piko Hammer, NOT making her a fighter in a book focused on fighting, based on games about fighting, would be pretty dumb decision.

In THEORY it can be done, but in theory, you could I could write a good gritty Mario reboot, where he uses mushroom based drugs and flower based flamethrower.  Not impossible, but just really, really hard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

Relic, Breezie, Coral, Undina, Cream (which actually annoyed one or two people).

You want Preboot? Hope, Mina, every 'mother' character, still Cream.

Amy has a large Piko Piko Hammer, NOT making her a fighter in a book focused on fighting, based on games about fighting, would be pretty dumb decision.

In THEORY it can be done, but in theory, you could I could write a good gritty Mario reboot, where he uses mushroom based drugs and flower based flamethrower.  Not impossible, but just really, really hard.

Making Amy a fighter for having a weapon sounds very uncreative as most games have you fight something but there characters are not there just to kick butt. All the main Mario characters aren't just about action like the Sonic characters are under Flynn. 

36 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Making Amy a fighter for having a weapon sounds very uncreative as most games have you fight something but there characters are not there just to kick butt.

She has a hammer. It's for hitting things.

She's a main character in an action series, what else is she going to do? And the main recurring female to boot. Amy can do other things but fawn over Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 4

1 hour ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Making Amy a fighter for having a weapon sounds very uncreative as most games have you fight something but there characters are not there just to kick butt. All the main Mario characters aren't just about action like the Sonic characters are under Flynn. 

..."Main Mario characters"

So what do you want Amy to do? Get kidnapped a lot? Do the basic trivial thing and inform that Eggman is in another castle? Because that's what Peach and Toad do.

Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario are fighters. Rest are non-entities for tennis, karts, and party games.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Nice Smile 1

15 hours ago, JosepHenry said:

Tomorrow we might know if Rough and Tumble are two headed dragon/hippos/rhinos/fossas/gay couple

or none of above. I bet the latter.

Great!

Unleash the fan arts!!

• Nice Smile 1

Just now, MetalSkulkBane said:

..."Main Mario characters"

So what do you want Amy to do? Get kidnapped a lot? Do the basic trivial thing and inform that Eggman is in another castle? Because that's what Peach and Toad do.

Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, and Wario are fighters. Rest are non-entities for tennis, karts, and party games.

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and Wario doesn't go looking for a fight the way Sonic characters do where Sonic love's to fight Eggman, Knuckles fights to solve a problem and Shadow kicks a man when he was down. Yoshi really doesn't fight unless attack, Wario fights for gold and even makes games and Peach host all kinds of events its not like Mario games don't have action in them.

Sonic Characters just feel like they got to smash stuff and fight Eggman where it seems that Amy can't even fawn over Sonic as she has to fight Eggman, the games world is all about Eggman at the end of the day.

41 minutes ago, Fire-N-Space said:

Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi and Wario doesn't go looking for a fight the way Sonic characters do where Sonic love's to fight Eggman, Knuckles fights to solve a problem and Shadow kicks a man when he was down. Yoshi really doesn't fight unless attack, Wario fights for gold and even makes games and Peach host all kinds of events its not like Mario games don't have action in them.

Sonic Characters just feel like they got to smash stuff and fight Eggman where it seems that Amy can't even fawn over Sonic as she has to fight Eggman, the games world is all about Eggman at the end of the day.

Different universe, dude.

Mario is a sweet fuzzy-wussy world, where Mario first beats up Bowser, then they go golfing together.

Sonic (Archie Sonic to be precise) is fighting evil cruel tyrant that roboticized people, destroys villages, once shattered a planet. Fighting him is kinda a serious business.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Cream (which actually annoyed one or two people).

Pretty sure she has way more fans that were annoyed by that. I hope she gets to do a lot more in the new comics.

9 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

And here it is.

ymtydmhixpwuits1x5cj.png

Tumble is the left dude, Rough on the right.

Instantly better designs than Infinite.

Rough and Tumble’s final approved designs are quite a bit different from the initial sketches IDW showed me. While I can’t share them here, I can say the eyes are more defined, there’s less clothing, and Tumble looks a lot less rabid.

Why do creators outside of SEGA so often want to dress the characters up in more clothes than the SEGA characters themselves have? I'm glad SEGA are putting this stipulation down firmly. These two are clearly skunks, and their designs are strong enough to convey their personalities and attributes without relying on tons of small details. They're great.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm...not sure how I feel about the designs. While not bad, they remind me more of Pokemons than Sonic characters.

And I don't think that's a good thing when Jackals IMO look more fitting to Sonic characters than these skunks

• Thumbs Up 2

“They’re independent agents, and more bullies than masterminds, but they’re tough enough to maybe become someone’s henchmen down the line.”

Collaboration with Eggman in a future story probably!

Can't say i'm too fond on Tumble, but Rough looks neat, i'll let issue 3 speak for itself to see them in action. (2 months to go...)

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

12 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

And here it is.

ymtydmhixpwuits1x5cj.png

EDIT:

They're freaking SKUNKS. Tumble kinda gave that away...

tudsgqnqwkflrutfsgn8.png

Rough's glove cuffs slightly remind me of Vector's.

pleklw7bicci3qf12zso.png

I don’t think those are gloves. And I like how these skunks finally don’t have that cliche black and white color schemes instead with one being cream color and the other a dark indigo. I also like the unique eye colors.

• Nice Smile 1

1 minute ago, Miragnarok said:

I don’t think those are gloves. And I like how these skunks finally don’t have that cliche black and white color schemes instead with one being cream color and the other a dark indigo. I also like the unique eye colors.

Wait what *looks back at the concept art*

Oh yeah he's not wearing gloves, it's spikey bracelets then. Though they do remind me of Vectors glove cuff to a degree...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

16 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

Rough's cuffs slightly remind me of Vector's.

That's all that reminds you of Vector? Because he's got pretty much exactly the same proportions and anatomy design too, just less hip definition and no crocodilian jaw.

As you may be able to tell, I'm "eh" on these designs. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Is this another leak on Gen 8 of Pokemon?... What a jump on design choices.

Tangle looked like a Sonic character, Rough and Tumble look like Wild Pokemon with gloves and shoes. Yeah, not feeling this one. Gimme the Jackal Squad (And Tangle) over them. :P

(Why the male characters have to always look more like wild animals than the females ?)

• Thumbs Up 2

6 minutes ago, Bobnik said:

I'm...not sure how I feel about the designs. While not bad, they remind me more of Pokemons than Sonic characters.

And I don't think that's a good thing when Jackals IMO look more fitting to Sonic characters than these skunks

4 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Is this another leak on Gen 8 of Pokemon?... What a jump on design choices.

Tangle looked like a Sonic character, Rough and Tumble look like Wild Pokemon with gloves and shoes. Yeah, not feeling this one. Gimme the Jackal Squad (And Tangle) over them. :P

(Why the male characters have to always look more like wild animals than the females ?)

ymtydmhixpwuits1x5cj.png

250px-434Stunky.png250px-435Skuntank.png

I'm not really seeing it.

If anything, they remind me more of the Werehog.

latest?cb=20130403163239

Also, I have to agree that they went more original instead easily going the same route as Geoffrey.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

33 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

And here it is.

ymtydmhixpwuits1x5cj.png

EDIT:

They're freaking SKUNKS. Tumble kinda gave that away...

tudsgqnqwkflrutfsgn8.png

Rough's glove cuffs slightly remind me of Vector's.

pleklw7bicci3qf12zso.png

Excuse me while I dance around the room at how awesome these designs are.

I love love love Rough!!!

Can't exactly say I'm in love with their designs, but I appreciate that they went with more unique proportions rather than generic "Sonic" bodies while still keeping them in line with Sonic's overall style.

• Thumbs Up 8
  • Nice Smile 1