IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog - Megathread

Dejimon11

13 hours ago, Sgt Nate V said:

Ever seen a David Cronenberg Film?

Not that I know of.

42 minutes ago, Fusionwatch said:

And here it is.

ymtydmhixpwuits1x5cj.png

Tumble is the left dude, Rough on the right.

EDIT:

They're freaking SKUNKS. Tumble kinda gave that away...

tudsgqnqwkflrutfsgn8.png

Rough's glove cuffs slightly remind me of Vector's.

pleklw7bicci3qf12zso.png

What the shit--Skunks?! How random.

I assume Rough is probably some lesser known breed of skunk. His design confuses me either way.

And yes, they do look like Pokemon. Oh ZAVOK!

26 minutes ago, JosepHenry said:

Is this another leak on Gen 8 of Pokemon?... What a jump on design choices.

Tangle looked like a Sonic character, Rough and Tumble look like Wild Pokemon with gloves and shoes. Yeah, not feeling this one. Gimme the Jackal Squad (And Tangle) over them. :P

(Why the male characters have to always look more like wild animals than the females ?)

Cause that's just the way it's almost always been. Nephthys was the biggest outlier.

I also think they have a slightly Pokemon-like vibe - but considering how hard it is for fanartists to actually design something that looks convincingly like a Pokemon, I'd say that's kind of a compliment.  Would be interesting to see them teaming up with some of the other anthro villains eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm indifferent towards Tumble, but right of the bat, Rough looks like a more agressive, wilder, Bark the Polar Bear. He is a villain that is obviously agressive and a bully, which is already way less interesting than a mute anti villain polar bear.

My opinions should change but right now, not interested in them. Hope they don't replace the Hooligans.

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, Rough HAS NO GLOVES!? Better get Tyson to fix that up quickly, cuz that's indecent exposure right there!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4

Count me in for the team that prefers Rough, both are okay and I did not expect them to be like this, but Rough seems like the superior design, not just because of proportions, I don't know though.

However I like how they don't look too much like Sonic characters, because not all of them should, Tangle works for that reason but I like variety in design and personality.

10 bucks they are revealed to be working for the surprise "big bad".

Edit: Wait, is it confirmed they're brothers? It's not in the article.

Great. More edg lords. At least the designs are a bit more creative. At least they look better than Tangle. But you guys are right they remind me also lot more as Pokémon rather than Sonic characters.  Rough especially reminds me a lot of the Pokémon Lycanroc (Night form).

I wouldn't even be surprised if they stole the design from that Pokémon. Wouldn't be the first time the Sonic seris did that. 

7 minutes ago, Jack of Tangles said:

Edit: Wait, is it confirmed they're brothers? It's not in the article.

First paragraph, second sentence. 

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Swing said:

I wouldn't even be surprised if they stole the design from that Pokémon. Wouldn't be the first time the Sonic se did that. 

It wouldn't?

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It wouldn't?

Blaze comes to mind, oh, and Cosmo I think. I can see some similarities.

6 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

It wouldn't?

Sure. Sonic stoled a lot from DBZ in the past. Silver is pretty much Trunks just more horrible written and less interesting. 

13 minutes ago, Swing said:

Sure. Sonic stoled a lot from DBZ in the past. Silver is pretty much Trunks just more horrible written and less interesting. 

Oh, you meant in general. Okay.

• Nice Smile 1

4 minutes ago, Slashy said:

I get that he wants to play the comic safe, but I feel that storytelling-wise risks are precisely what the series needs right now.

It might get to be more storytelling-esque in the future. It's just not starting off that way.

• Nice Smile 1

Yeah, the proportion and style is pretty different from Sonic. Mainly the body, and maybe the patterns on the body. It looks more like the western cartoon but rebooted.

Here’s Tangle next to them.

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.d171a632ebaf9034ea754975761d05cc.jpg

I won’t be surprised if the new trend of “creative design” going to be taking advantage of the natural pattern the animals have.

Given the property of western comics, wonder if we’ll see them in a more Sonic-y style? (I’m excited to see fanartists drawing them in the correct style)

• Thumbs Up 5
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

1 minute ago, VEDJ-F said:

Just noticed that between these three characters there's not that much colour variety. 

Yeah, I had a hunch there'd be some sort of correlation amongst them for a while, but this isn't what I had in mind.

• Nice Smile 1

24 minutes ago, KoDaiko said:

Yeah, the proportion and style is pretty different from Sonic. Mainly the body, and maybe the patterns on the body. It looks more like the western cartoon but rebooted.

Here’s Tangle next to them.

imageproxy.thumb.jpg.d171a632ebaf9034ea754975761d05cc.jpg

I won’t be surprised if the new trend of “creative design” going to be taking advantage of the natural pattern the animals have.

Given the property of western comics, wonder if we’ll see them in a more Sonic-y style? (I’m excited to see fanartists drawing them in the correct style)

We need more character variety, we have 90% of characters in Sonic style, and 10% characters that look different (Big, Storm).

When will they reveal Jen Hernandez's cover for issue 3 though?

These guys look very interesting. Their names remind me of something you’d hear in one of the 90s Sonic cartoons XD

9 minutes ago, -Justin- said:

These guys look very interesting. Their names remind me of something you’d hear in one of the 90s Sonic cartoons XD

In fact they look a lot like Sleet and Dingo from Underground, as pointed out in the facebook group.

• Thumbs Up 1

They should play it safe story wise for a bit. Take it slow and expand as needed. We don't want more Archie issues to early

19 minutes ago, Marco9966 said:

We need more character variety, we have 90% of characters in Sonic style, and 10% characters that look different (Big, Storm).

When will they reveal Jen Hernandez's cover for issue 3 though?

??? I'm not talking about body types. When I say "Sonic Style", I mean the artstyle Sonic Team draw/design their character in.Both skunks looks different than how SEGA designs their characters. The big guy looks different from Big or Storm (or Bark & Vector). The little guy looks different from the normal style. WHich is odd since Tangle is more close to the Sonic-y style.