Awoo.

Sonic Forces- Classic GHZ Gameplay

Tracker_TD

Just now, JezMM said:

And if it is, AGAIN it makes no fucking sense because the modern stage in the Direct looked the same.

I honestly think that Sega just recycled the modern footage from the earlier trailer and never bothered to give Nintendo any new modern footage. It happens more often then you think, since a Nintendo Direct is a pretty low key event compared to something like E3. I wouldn't be suprised if the modern graphics are again downgraded on the Switch.

What if the difference in lighting was just a glitch? I mean the developers can't even get Classic's physics completely right so for all we know they might not be able to keep the lighting from glitching either XD

And before anybody loses their collective shit I'm just making a joke. Despite not being 1:1 I enjoyed how Classic played in Generations and it looks like he's going to play pretty much the same here too.

I think it's inevatable that the graphics will be downgraded on the switch to a degree, lighting effects gone, some objects taken out etc so the game has no problems in handheld mode 

I also think it wont matter that much though because it's a boost game so the actual level design will be plain enough to be unaffected. haw

3 minutes ago, Strong Guy said:

The footage is not the same. This has been covered before.

Different editing but it still could have come from the same source, namely a PC or PS4 build. So, I don't think we can assume we've actually seen any modern stage Switch footage just yet. Don't forget that even official Nintendo magazines were publishing 360/PS3 screenshots of Sonic Unleashed in the lead up to release, instead of what the WiI version actually looked like.

Just now, Josh said:

I think it's inevatable that the graphics will be downgraded on the switch to a degree, lighting effects gone, some objects taken out etc so the game has no problems in handheld mode

I keep seeing it over and over again so can we pleeeease nip in the bud this idea that the Switch is less powerful in handheld mode?  Zelda runs smoother in handheld mode due to the reduced resolution.  Any downgrades that Forces has on Switch will be due to the general backend capabilities of the console, and if it does have any FPS issues they'll prolly be lesser in handheld mode too.  The console doesn't gain any extra computational power from being plugged into the dock, as far as I'm aware, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 7

4 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I keep seeing it over and over again so can we pleeeease nip in the bud this idea that the Switch is less powerful in handheld mode?  Zelda runs smoother in handheld mode due to the reduced resolution.  Any downgrades that Forces has on Switch will be due to the general backend capabilities of the console, and if it does have any FPS issues they'll prolly be lesser in handheld mode too.  The console doesn't gain any extra computational power from being plugged into the dock, as far as I'm aware, someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've had all of this told to me before and I still said that. Whoops

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess I've just figured out why Sonic bounce on enemies some times, and other times don't: Classic Sonic now has a "stomp" skill, which crushes enemies and stops the precious momentum. Perhaps it's the same skill we saw in action near the end of the level, which people are saying it's the drop dash. I guess if you use it on clear ground, it works just like the drop dash from Sonic Mania (you land on a spindash), but when used on enemies, it just smack them. Thoughts? Another skill to break the momentum? Do we know if you use the drop dash in Mania on an enemy you still land on a spindash?

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see any indication of Sonic doing a stomp or any other move beyond jumping into enemies, even going frame by frame.

Also it seems like really bad design to have a move that brings you to a stop if you hit an enemy but shoots you forward if you don't.

5 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

Also it seems like really bad design to have a move that brings you to a stop if you hit an enemy but shoots you forward if you don't.

666px-Sonic_Team_Logo.svg.png

3 minutes ago, JosepMelloZSM said:

Something to lighten up the mood

Brazilians will laugh hard at this

huehuehue

Nazaré! hahahaha

• Thumbs Up 1

At the very least it seems safe to say they removed the whole "Sonic bounces upwards regardless of what angle he hits the enemy at" thing, going by this footage. I don't think you're actually forced to a stop midair, since there's plenty of moments in that footage where that very clearly doesn't happen, but uh...I guess we'll find out for sure once we get more footage, and/or hands-on impressions, and/or play the game ourselves.

• Thumbs Up 3

Pretty sure the momentum killing going on for some baddies, is just an Artifact of them using the SLW movement engine. Meaning, when you let go of the control stick, you stop and drop like a rock.

Could've sworn it came from another game as well, tbh. Forget which one, though...

6a00d83452033569e20120a56059c2970b-600wi

1 minute ago, The Deleter said:

Pretty sure the momentum killing going on for some baddies, is just an Artifact of them using the SLW movement engine. Meaning, when you let go of the control stick, you stop and drop like a rock.

Could've sworn it came from another game as well, tbh. Forget which one, though...

Hide contents

It's been a while, but I'm fairly certain this was a characteristic of the boost games as well.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Why has the Forces thread been split like this? O.o

It's not, we just like to have new side-threads for new news.

1 minute ago, Celestia said:

It's not, we just like to have new side-threads for new news.

Ah, was a bit confused. Kept seeing comments appearing and disappearing and winding up between threads. lol

Alrighty then.

12 minutes ago, The Deleter said:

Hide contents

Pikachu in a sombrero had the worst damn physics.

Danny DeVito was good tho

• Thumbs Up 7

15 minutes ago, Mayor D said:

Youtube trailer...

aAE3WLh.jpg

Bullshot...

AMRhBOI.jpg

Where the rings?

I brought that up before, the squares are also more detailed on the screenshot.

Or maybe is the lightning. Why is it blue though?

The level design seems unusually simple even for a first act or zone (which is otherwise rather disappointing!)  So here is a complete guess about why that might be, that is not meant to defend anything so don't worry ^_^:)  However I do see this footage very differently after having considered this.  

I don't think they would advertise/describe it as such very often, or at all, but rather just allow players with younger family members and friends to intuitively realize they could switch off between 2D and 3D stages (if that is how the game is set up to make that possible). 

Modern Sonic involves much more complicated and fast paced hand eye coordination.  And, Sonic Mania seems to be being designed to be as challenging as the original Genesis games!   

Maybe that would have been a logical realization by Sonic Team this time around, to almost oversimplify Classic Sonic in this specific game at least for some of the zones, making a Sonic experience that is still very creative and inspiring, to be clearly/obviously accessible to many more people.  I suppose it really isn't just younger but also much older and any out of practice and overall newer players too. ^_^  

32 minutes ago, expansivelovestories said:

The level design seems unusually simple even for a first act or zone (which is otherwise rather disappointing!)  So here is a complete guess about why that might be, that is not meant to defend anything so don't worry ^_^:)  However I do see this footage very differently after having considered this.  

I don't think they would advertise/describe it as such very often, or at all, but rather just allow players with younger family members and friends to intuitively realize they could switch off between 2D and 3D stages (if that is how the game is set up to make that possible). 

Modern Sonic involves much more complicated and fast paced hand eye coordination.  And, Sonic Mania seems to be being designed to be as challenging as the original Genesis games!   

Maybe that would have been a logical realization by Sonic Team this time around, to almost oversimplify Classic Sonic in this specific game at least for some of the zones, making a Sonic experience that is still very creative and inspiring, to be clearly/obviously accessible to many more people.  I suppose it really isn't just younger but also much older and any out of practice and overall newer players too. ^_^  

I'd say it's mainly budget and numbers of folks working on the game.

Especially if they're going so far out with Modern Sonic stages I guess they don't have a choice but to leave some places stripped, though it will make the game a bit awkward in the end to be so cinematic in some places and fairly standard in others...

Not going to lie, I'm normally really optimistic for these games but my god this level looked so...plain. I'm not going to bother pointing out everything that I disliked about this level (since others have already pointed them out in good detail) but the one thing that bothers me the most are those springs that shoot you up near the ledges of higher path ways. Like, why were these needed, do they not think people have the basic capacity to jump and if not why not just teach it to the player naturally through gameplay mechanics rather than relying on such an automated method? It really feels like the team isn't even trying anymore at this point and you'd think with all those years working on this, the design of this level would actually be good but its just so by the numbers and uninteresting that I'm actually seriously worrying about the rest of the game now.

• Thumbs Up 1