Awoo.

Chao Chat!

The drunkard from space!

Also if you run around with them they get different faces! :L

Personally I LOVE chao. They are so cute, and actually the game mechanic of chao is really in depth than it looks on the surface, it's like breeding on a Pokemon game, you don't NEED to do it, but if you do it shows how much effort the development teams put into the game, all of the interactions and traits and types had to be programmed and such, everything you could possibly do with a chao has been programmed by someone, and if that doesn't say that SEGA don't care about their games then I don't know what does!

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just came across this over at Sonic Paradise.

http://www.forti3.com/

Sonic Adventure 2 Chao music playing on a random milk company's website. SONIC ADVENTURE 3 CONFIRMED!

Boy, someone's geting sued tonight.

• Thumbs Up 1

I miss the chao. Boy do I miss them. But I agree with the people saying they'd work best as their own game than as an extension of Sonic.

I've always been fascinated by virtual pets as a kid, and still today have a strong urge to look into the genre, it's just that they don't really make any kind of virtual pet game that appeals to me the way chao did. ( We got Nintendogs and the like, but I'd rather take care of something a little less worldly? )

I feel Sega could make a pretty good virtual pet series of games with the Chao. People recognizing them as a spinoff from Sonic would get them brand recognition right away, and without that pesky, Sonic portion of the game, there'd be more room to expand and add on to what the Chao gardens/karate/racing already were. 

That said, I'm not against the idea of them returning to Sonic games or anything. I just think they'd work best as their own thing... I wouldn't mind seeing them outside of chao gardens though. Sonic Adventure had chao as a part of the plot, and Shadow the Hedgehog showed wild chao. I'd like them to be more of a recurring thing in Sonic's world, like Toads or Yoshis in the Mario world. Till something like that happens, I guess I'll settle for billboards, and Cream's companion, Cheese.

I spent so much time in SA2:B's Chao Garden when I was younger. I had a bunch of Chao. I should go back to it one of these days.

God, Chao used to be it for me.  Best thing since Pokemon.

I don't play it much anymore, but I remember I had a two-tone blue Chao named Zeke; when I made him a Dark Run-Type, he was completely blue and had badass silver Shadow-stripes.

Hm.

May boot this up later...

Even though I've never had Chao, I love them. They give so much personality to Sonic as a franhise and as a character, since they make Sonic stand out in the universe like the flickies also do.

And the fact that they can have personalities themelves is too cool. I'd like them to absorb the flickies' function as well. If we had levels in which we save Chao that we can raise later, even badniks would give us interesting replay value and depth to both gameplay and story. I think they are the best heritage from the Adventure games.

• Thumbs Up 4

Even though I've never had Chao, I love them. They give so much personality to Sonic as a franhise and as a character, since they make Sonic stand out in the universe like the flickies also do.

And the fact that they can have personalities themelves is too cool. I'd like them to absorb the flickies' function as well. If we had levels in which we save Chao that we can raise later, even badniks would give us interesting replay value and depth to both gameplay and story. I think they are the best heritage from the Adventure games.

Palas...marry me.

• 1 month later...

Don't really spend much time raising Chao, but recently I named my Sonic Adventure DX Chao "Cookie" :3 

I liked Chao's appearance in SA2:B, as it gave me additional content to play with after the story mode was complete. It also added an RPG twist to the main game itself through the chao's level up system that made use of the chaos drives, and so on. My main motivation to continue on replaying old levels was to collect rings and drives to bring back to the garden, which I could in turn use to make my chao stronger, earning me more emblems in the racing and karate events.

I was very disappointed when I learned that Heroes didn't include a garden.

Chao remind me of miniature recoloured minions but without the goggles, hair, overals, gloves and boots. If you've seen Despicable Me, then you'll know what i'm on about

Chao remind me of miniature recoloured minions but without the goggles, hair, overals, gloves and boots. If you've seen Despicable Me, then you'll know what i'm on about

so basically like minions

but not at all

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a difficult time finding the image of a particular type of chao that happened to be my favorite. If anyone can help me find a picture of this variant of chao I'd be most grateful. I just want to draw the darn thing!

So anyway it was a neutral-swimming chao that I fed a lot of otters and whatever animal creates "ghost" chao. I think it was bats?

So it looked like a neutral swimming chao with whiskers and no legs. I thought it was the cutest thing ever. Does anybody on this forum have a picture of this kind of chao?  It may or may not have had otter hands as well. I can't remember exactly.

The chao were fun to play with for awhile, but after awhile it just would get rather old while building them up. I was often doing the chao stuff in SA1 and SA2 to get the emblems that went along with it. I had to spend so much time getting more drives, animals and other such things to build them up and it would take quite a long time to do so. I didn't mind the chao so much, but alot of the time, the chao were the last thing I would do in the game. With this, that meant tons of backtracking in older levels so that I can get more animals or drive, but you had to do it over and over and over again. Just wish there was a slightly easier or quicker way of getting the stuff without having to do so many older levels over again so often.

Still, raising them was rather fun, just collecting the the drives and animals was the slightly annoying part.

Currently replaying SA for the Dreamcast...I started working on a Super Sonic Chao. (Gold Chao, Running/Power) I am pretty pumped about it since I've actually never made one before. Even went and got some fresh vmu batteries. Yep, I am going all out on the nostalgia factor!

• 2 years later...

Here's my chao from Sonic Adventure 2

28C8A8980F74A4C33D9A79B363D224B4A58E4B4E

Diogenes! As you can see I woke him up to take a picture. 

E80B3E29D026FEC862518DFAE07A11E4EF9B339B

Miku! Yeah I had to wake her up as well. Also judging by the pink halos, I guess they are both the same type.

A7E9E4ED3B1E2715B2377694DED43A6C314D66A8

Ayaka! She's pretty much a power type but has won me a few races.

238EAC3CD2078D7437641CD4D4C81B1658875EA8

The black one is Kirby and the green one is Aoi. I really like this one because it's like they are bot staring into the sunset

E7105887967960916DDC26173C19054C0561ECD2

last but not least, here's Sonic!

• Thumbs Up 3

The black one, Kirby, is my favorite one. And not because my name is Kirb, although I suppose that does help XD. I like your chao! It's funny/cute how your chao, Dio, is always sleeping lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I love the chao Garden in SA2, I really do, but I think its about time that we either get a new chao garden in the next main Sonic game or they just get dropped all together cause nobody likes Chao side missions.

If only Chaclon could return...

chaclon_render_by_nibroc_rock-da9xas0.pn

He was the best chao before Cheese and Chocola came into the mix. I can do without Omochao, though.

Choopaloo, Ferox, and Spartoi were the most memorable chao (to me, anyway) in Sonic Chronicles. ^_^

2 hours ago, Lord Raptor said:

I love the chao Garden in SA2, I really do, but I think its about time that we either get a new chao garden in the next main Sonic game or they just get dropped all together cause nobody likes Chao side missions.

What are you talking about? Dropping the chao garden all together? The last time we got chao gardens was in SA2. Do you mean just drop chao all together and not even have them as little cameos or what?

2 hours ago, Apple Kid said:

What are you talking about? Dropping the chao garden all together? The last time we got chao gardens was in SA2. Do you mean just drop chao all together and not even have them as little cameos or what?

What I mean is that We should get a new Chao garden in the next Sonic game or they should go away, cause they never have any bearing on the plot, and if they aren't going to have another Chao garden I don't see the point of them being around.

I mean... do you want Sonic Team to go back and patch out the chao gardens from SA1 and 2 or what? The only place the chao gardens exist is those old games. You say if they're not in a new game they should go away. Thing is chao gardens have already gone away since 2001.

The way I see it, Chao Gardens are pretty symptomatic of the design processes the rest of SA1 and 2 went through - rather than a consistent and polished experience, it feels like execs wanted a game that appealed to literally fucking everyone and excelled in not one specific area at a time. The cast of both games were dissonant to the point of being obnoxious, but at least they still had basic platforming in common - the Chao mechanics represent genre roulette in its most pure, literal form, in that they practically packaged an entire separate game in there and only tied it into the main one as loosely as they could feasibly get away with.

I want to like Chao to be honest, but that shit would never fly these days. If I may spitball for a minute here, why not make the Chao playable? Have a multiplayer mode with a Chao as your avatar, then tap into the Kid Icarus hook of mixing specific perks and stats together for gameplay preference and advantages? At least, that's how I'd do it. Personally I'd settle for your involvement in actual gameplay events not being reduced down to a single button press and not forcing you to be a spectator to pretty much everything.

I like the idea of raising Chao to have them follow you into regular levels and modifying abilities or giving special bonuses based on typing and other stats.

• Thumbs Up 4