Awoo.

Chao Chat!

The drunkard from space!

On topic, is there anyway to change Chao personalities?

One of mine was born a crybaby (or atleast turned really early on it). He doesnt cry at all, he just doesnt give a fuck about anything. He ignores my other Chao, doesnt plant the seeds i give him...

According to this in depth site it requires a strict method of raising to change it's personality.

Pretty sure he meant having Chao Gardens be themed like actual levels in-game, so have like a Green Hill- or City Escape-themed garden.

I've never played any of the games with Chao Gardens (except whichever GBA game had one, and I don't think there was much going on there), and... it sounds really complex, which is nice I guess, but it also sounds like nothing to do with Sonic and the rest of the game. I think if they're ever going to bring this back they should integrate it much better with the regular gameplay, or make it its own game, as suggested above. Otherwise I don't see the point. I mean, yeah, I know, fun, I'm up for that, but why in a Sonic game? What's the connection?

I still have fond memories of intentionally tanking my Chao's flight stats so he could free fall and hit the water faster in most of the longer races.

In a series where the main hero can't swim, I always found it a tad silly that the Chao could basically turn into little torpedoes.

The fact they've included the chao at least as cameos and merchandise mean Sega hasn't forgotten about them completely. I'd love for them to include them as a minigame in newer titles; it would extend the life greatly of each title. I used to spend hours with those things.

I never really named them much, but I remember I killed all mine in SA. Turns out Gamma's "pet" function is actually "kill them all mercilessly." Just... what, man.

I used to replay levels all the time and would make sure to collect only certain colors of drives so I could force feed the Chao them until they could own the living crap out of all the other blue fatties.

The Chao will always be quite special to me...On my SA2B file I've had for about 8 years has a playtime for over 425+ hours, and more than half has been spent on raising different Chao.(My favorite Chao are two-toned ones) I'm going to start raising Chao again in SA2HD, but I doubt it's going to be over 200 hours this time... Quite disappointed the HD version doesn't have the DC gardens though. I loved them way more than the GC ones. (but I'm sure there's a reason for this)

I'm a new fan of the Chao. I never cared about it before but the HD version of SA2 has made me become interested in it.

Mainly because I'm going for all the emblems.

I never had a dreamcast so my experience with the chao have only been very recent.

I didn't care much for them in SA1, never really bothered with them seeing as there was no actual need to visit the garden and no explanation that it was even there.

SA2 was a lot better as you were warped to the garden at the end of the level as long as you had the key. I actually enjoyed playing about with them even if i was only leveling them up to get the trophy.

The main problem I have about the chao and the garden is how little help the game gives you. I know you can make Sonic/Nights/Chaos chaos as well as other things but I've no idea how to do it.

The game seems to offer little in the way of tutorials and even the simplest of tasks is hidden from you.

I was told my chao liked triangle fruit so I bought a seed for a triangle tree and took it back to the garden, spent a good twenty minutes trying to plant it, throwing it around, putting it in the water, trying to get knuckles to dig into it.

Went to the Chao Principal for advice he says "You can plant seeds, but don't ask how its a secret"

*screams*

I never had a dreamcast so my experience with the chao have only been very recent.

I didn't care much for them in SA1, never really bothered with them seeing as there was no actual need to visit the garden and no explanation that it was even there.

SA2 was a lot better as you were warped to the garden at the end of the level as long as you had the key. I actually enjoyed playing about with them even if i was only leveling them up to get the trophy.

The main problem I have about the chao and the garden is how little help the game gives you. I know you can make Sonic/Nights/Chaos chaos as well as other things but I've no idea how to do it.

The game seems to offer little in the way of tutorials and even the simplest of tasks is hidden from you.

I was told my chao liked triangle fruit so I bought a seed for a triangle tree and took it back to the garden, spent a good twenty minutes trying to plant it, throwing it around, putting it in the water, trying to get knuckles to dig into it.

Went to the Chao Principal for advice he says "You can plant seeds, but don't ask how its a secret"

*screams*

Ask me anything.

Literally...anything.

Also you plant trees by having a Chao win the shovel (and, optionally, the water pail) in the beginner races, giving them some Skel. Dogs or Raccoons or some shit to raise their intelligence, and then give them the seed.

Also you plant trees by having a Chao win the shovel (and, optionally, the water pail) in the beginner races, giving them some Skel. Dogs or Raccoons or some shit to raise their intelligence, and then give them the seed.

Ha ha, without any in game instructions that's bordering on lucasarts levels of requirements :P

Ha ha, without any in game instructions that's bordering on lucasarts levels of requirements tongue.png

XP

1. Beat all beginner races with one Chao.

2. Give Chao lots of animals with blue backgrounds on their little portraits when you collect them.

3. Give Chao the seed. He will plant it after a while.

Better?

XP

1. Beat all beginner races with one Chao.

2. Give Chao lots of animals with blue backgrounds on their little portraits when you collect them.

3. Give Chao the seed. He will plant it after a while.

Better?

Thanks man I'll give it a try :)

• Thumbs Up 1

*screams*

SEGA had a Chao Website that's called the "Chao Laboratory". It had information for all those questions and some cool downloads.

heh, that reminds me to the A-Life system in Nights. God, I keep killing by mistake those poor nightopians....

On topic, is there anyway to change Chao personalities?

One of mine was born a crybaby (or atleast turned really early on it). He doesnt cry at all, he just doesnt give a fuck about anything. He ignores my other Chao, doesnt plant the seeds i give him...

Your chao needs some anti depressants.

• Thumbs Up 2

I've loved Chao raising since I was little. I remember the heartbreak I had when my very first chao I had raised, a penguin chao, passed away.

On my SA2 and SA2B files, I can't remember what I was going to do with certain chao or whatever, so I've just got a fresh start on all my chao raising, which is something I needed.

• 1 month later...

Man, Chao's took hours of my life away back in the day! Most addictive thing I've found in a Sonic game yet! 

Chao Gardens, in my opinion, were the most innovative thing SEGA have come up with, as far as extra content is concerned. And, was a great start in the right direction of the 3D Sonic era. It's just too bad SEGA decided to ditch them sad.png They have the potential to do so much with them, and is the extra content modern Sonic games so desperately need (in my opinion). 

Yeah, I'd still love to see a game where you could actually make use of the chao; e.g. Sonic could raise a flying chao to hit switches or retrieve items that are out of his reach. whereas Tails or Knuckles might be able to fly or climb to them, but they'd need a speed chao to collect moving targets that Sonic could nab on his own.  Or just have some low passages that only chao could get through.  It could be designed so that the game could be played without the chao, just using them gives extra bonus items or optional shortcuts.  But either way people who didn't like chao could complain either that they didn't like the whole game (if they were mandatory) or that they were being 'forced' to use the chao to see everything (if they were optional).  Of course, some people seem to enjoy complaining so that would make them happy too, I guess.

What I'd really like to see is a chao-centric game either as an e-shop or 3DS title, that could link with main Sonic games (say, to copy ring numbers, maybe provide items back and forth) but stand completely apart.  You wouldn't need it to play the other games fully, and you could play it by itself as well, they just interact.  (Oh, alright, you can have it on Live/PSN and Vita too.  And . . . I guess the smartglass thing for 360?)

• 1 month later...

Bumpity bump. I just remembered this little story and I had to share.

When I was little, I took my VMU with Chao Adventure with me everywhere. I remember I would choose the "scold" option all the time for some reason, because I didn't know what it meant. My older brother saw me doing that once and yelled at me. A lot. I was so scared and I cried out of pity for my poor virbally-abused chao. I never played Chao Adventure again.

Anyways, my Crybaby Chao is a strange one, he never cried and doesnt looks like spoiled. He just doesnt give a damn about me really lol He is very lazy though. Guess Ill keep it how it is. Too bad because I wanted my 2 Chaos to be friends, never saw the interactions between them.

I have a chao that was born a cry baby, but after a while randomly changed into a carefree personality type. I didn't abuse it at all. (In fact, I think I pet my chao too much. I really can't resist the little critters.blush.png) But I've had several of my chao change personality over the course of their lives, so you might be lucky without forcing it.

As for chao being friends... it's fricking hard to get them to be really good friends. Getting them to tolerate each other is easy, but really hanging out and doing stuff together is tough. I found it works best if you hatch two chao at the same time, sit them close to each other often so you can pet them together, then when you had them take lessons in the kindergarden when one chao starts doing something it learned, pick up the other one and place it close to the chao doing the stuff it learned.  If you place the second chao in the exactly right place, it'll join in on the others activity, or if it hasn't learned it yet, it'll sometimes sit down and watch, and clap when the other chao finishes. The watching and clapping only works with playing musical instruments and singing, though. Putting chao together to play instruments is really nice, you can have a small band of chao. It's cute. happy.png

Another thing that helps bonding your chao is sitting them in front of the TV together. Unfortunately, like the kindergarden activities, you have to wait for one chao to start doing it, and only then you can have another chao join in. You need a bit of patience, but I found letting them do stuff together works well in order to make chao bond and become friends eventually. I have two running chao that are friends, they run around the garden together, occassionally holding hands, they do something that looks like playing tag and they lie down next to each other to sleep. It's endearing. But also for those two I've only ever managed to make them play instruments together if one of them starts doing it and I'm quick enough to pick up the other one and put it down close it the chao already playing.

Edited by Speedy

I have three Chao.

Chacha

potential hero type

crybaby

Likes Sonic.

Cham

future dark type

?

Likes Shadow and Eggman. Looks at Rouge weird.

(I forgot this one's name)

Neutral

crybaby

I had tons of chao on SADXPC. But my laptop's hard drive died, so they're all gone. ;A;

I might like chao a little more if the game actually told what you're supposed to do with them, and how. I have 2 eggs sitting in the garden and not a clue how to hatch them.

I always hatch mine by picking them up and rocking them for a moment. Then put them back down and watch your baby chao hatch. I pick them out of the shells when they hatch, they look happy about this. happy.png

Of course, you can also just wait for the eggs to hatch on their own, but that takes a lot of time. Or you can throw them at a wall, I've seen people do that in youtube videos and it apparently works. I wouldn't do it, though. It's not nice to start a chao's life with such abuse, right? So, better gently rock the eggs and pet the newly hatched chao. This way, they quickly grow to like you.