Awoo.

Why do/don't you like Mighty?

libertyernie

I don't care for Mighty much, mostly because his design isn't very interesting and he's basically a copy of Sonic. .-.

Yeah, that's true about "Team Chaotix". However I guess Mighty is a traveller.

What I don't understand is, sure Mighty was invented as a Sonic clone, but in looks, he doesn't look all that "cloney". It's not fair to call Mighty a clone when he's not had a chance to individualise, and when Knuckles looks more like Sonic than Mighty does. Mighty doesn't have spikes of any sort, and his ears are unique in the series.

I don't hate Mighty, but there's practically nothing to Might that another character doesn't already have aside from his species and name.

He's more of a Sonic clone than Shadow can come out to be. I don't know how they can bring him back with most characters already having any power you could think off that the series would allow for him.

Speed

Strength

Flight

Energy manipution

Time control

Teleportation

Telekinesis

Pyrokinesis

Spatial control

Mechanical genius

Ninja Skills

Swimming

The list goes on even further. I really don't see any position that Mighty could occupy for himself.

Good god I am so sorry everyone. Diogenes, I simply couldn't resist. XD

Yeah...nice try, but no dice buddy.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

but what about the other characters who were only in two or so old games that seem more popular than Mighty? Ex: Fang and Bean? Are they just cooler and more original, cos that's probably what it is.

Yes.

In Fang's case, he pretty much occupied a slot no one was in yet at the time. He was clearly established as a gunslinging rogue and an antagonist at a time where you only had Robotnik on the opposite side, not to mention they tried to establish him as a major character: constantly featuring in games (although all of them spinoffs), planned to be in X-Treme, heavily featured in the comics and so forth. If he'd make an appearance today he wouldn't seem so special - outside his cool as fuck looks - because we've already got Rouge on the rogue side of things and we get a new antagonistic force each game. At the time he stood out though. Add his sly coolness and his entirely new life that Archie's given him and boom, underdog fan favourite. If X-treme had come out, I think we'd be seeing Fang even now.

I think Bark's got a (tiny) following because he stands out. There's nothing even resembling bears in the Sonic character collection, and we've only got one big brute force character in general (Big). Bark's visually very different to the rest of the gang, as opposed to Mighty who gets lost in the sea of technicolour little critters.

Plus they both appeared in spin-offs where Sonic was still heavily involved. Mighty's existence is limited to an obscure arcade game and a slightly less obscure platformer with no trace of the usual Sonic gang outside Knuckles.

Edited by Flint

Honestly I think it has to do with how he hasn't been used rather than how he's been used. There is absolutely no denying how he was thrown in with Ray in the arcade game and replaced Sonic in Chaotix, but we know next to nothing about him and that's the whole point.

The thing is, he can be brought back, he can be developed, and he can be made one with the rest of the cast. As Sega DogTagz said the Archie comic's take on Mighty is full of character of hilarity. He can be given a personality, a small backstory, and a fill a small niche in the cast. It couldn't hurt to inject similar Archie Mighty into the crew over plot Hedgehog of the week, would it?

I guess that's where I come from on this. It's not so much what he has now but what he can be given. The "potential" I guess (I hate using that word since Sony butchered it with the PS3). Well...given in the right hands of course. When Shadow was given more of a back story he turned out being the lovechild of a meteor inhabiting alien from space and an elder Robotnik professor who wanted to create the perfect life form. Ewww.

Edited by Rauzaruke

Yeah, that's true about "Team Chaotix". However I guess Mighty is a traveller.

What I don't understand is, sure Mighty was invented as a Sonic clone, but in looks, he doesn't look all that "cloney". It's not fair to call Mighty a clone when he's not had a chance to individualise, and when Knuckles looks more like Sonic than Mighty does. Mighty doesn't have spikes of any sort, and his ears are unique in the series.

I partially agree with you here, but... you got to take something else into consideration. Characters shouldn't need to have "time" to develop good points. They should start OUT with all this and then develop them later. Mighty and Ray are the only characters who never did this. The only reason I don't bash on Ray for that is because, despite his actual abilities, his appearance and species warrants him being more of a Tails clone than anything else, which is just as bad, but also that he only appeared once and that's it. And he's not popular.

Bean and Bark are similar to Mighty and Ray in that they have no defined backstory or personality (except for their expressions in battle, which isn't much). They make up for it, though, with a fully unique moveset.

Except for these four characters (and MAYBE Fang), every other character in the series has had a defined backstory and personality in the debut game. And for Fang, Bean, and Bark, they are easier to design one for because they have the abilities to go with it; we know a few things about them, such as Bean being a bomb addict, with Fang the same for guns (though his is only a popgun for certain obvious reasons, I believe he was intended to use a real gun, and they could always implement that now).

Once again, Mighty and Ray don't have those things. And the only reason I hate Mighty and not Ray is because so many are obsessed with Mighty for no reason. One thing, I suppose, is that they may like him in the comics, but in the games, he's got nothing going for him. I don't like Ray, either, but Ray doesn't have nearly as much fan support as Mighty.

And yes, I also hate Shadow fanboys/girls, too.

On another note, I suppose I'll bring up something. I don't like Mighty, but if they can make him unique enough in a revamp, I might actually come to enjoy him. The problem is that the only way to bring him out of that hole is to completely write his past, which most fans of Mighty would probably hate, one big reason being "its not like the comics" (when its not supposed to be, anyway). Giving Mighty this stuff would mostlikely only make his fans then hate what Sonic Team did to him, when the only thing they did is give them what they wanted--bringing him back with true backstory and personality.

And speaking of which, there's even more to talk about Mighty. More than likely, Mighty is in fact the prototype Sonic given character. An armadillo and a rabbit were both considered before using a hedgehog, so Mighty was probably based off of Sonic's prototype, which makes him even more of a clone (though I suppose you could argue that Sonic is the clone, but that's only a prototype design). In all his appearances Mighty was a true full-fledged filler character, and you can't get much more than that out of him.

EDIT: Flint, I'm going to add onto your comments about Fang.

I personality quite disagree with what you're referencing here. Not so much what you said about everyone else, but mainly about the Rouge comment. Personality-wise, Fang could be similar to Rouge. However, Fang is still a lot different from her, as well, and he could always develop differently later. Plus, he doesn't have the same abilities that Rouge has. Fang is primarily unique in that he uses a gun, and yes, it is a pop gun, but the only reason it was is because they didn't want to use real guns at the time, as I recall.

Additionally, I see Fang as a more humorous character, and I do believe he was portrayed that way in all of his appearances. He is quite nuts in Sonic the Fighters, based on his moveset and all, and I've also heard that he -can- use his tail to bounce himself, but I don't know if that was something he had all along in the games or if it was in the comics. Regardless, the only real comparison Fang has to Rouge is that both have a lot for treasure and money. That's really about it, and I quite dislike how people keep trying to compare the two. Hell, I think Fang and Rouge could make great rivals, both being out for treasure.

Edited by UltimaHedgie

I have absolutely no emotion towards Mighty whatsoever. I think he looks cool in appearance, but since he's appeared in very few games, he's never really had much character to show. I can't really say anything about him unless they decide to bring him back. But I'd rather not for the time being since they've got enough characters on their plate.

What I don't understand is, sure Mighty was invented as a Sonic clone, but in looks, he doesn't look all that "cloney".
SonMig.gif

It doesn't get much more cloney than that. Replace the spikes with a shell, change the ears, change the color, and Sonic becomes Mighty in 3 easy steps.

'Eh, I kinda disagree on that remark. In my opinion, Mighty's only good point is that he's unique in appearance. That's really about it.

Make Sonic's spikes longer, give him knuckles, make him red, and he's Knuckles in 3 easy steps. It's not fair to hate Mighty for that sole reason when Knuckles looks almost just as cloney.

Sure Knuckles has a backstory, but even Mighty had more of a backstory than Vector or Espio or Charmy, they just LOOKED far more original, and were given the chance to develop a personality!

Huh?

Mighty's personality is summed up as being a traveler. That's it. Charmy was part of a hive of bees and was searching for flowers; Espio was living on Angel Island, as I recall, and saw the new island come up out of the ocean; Vector had great belief in God and saw the island as a miraculous sign. They were revamped later and not much of this was referenced in Sonic Heroes and beyond, but they all had a lot more to work with than Mighty. Mighty was just a traveler than came upon the island. Yeah, anyone can be described that way.

I still do give you the point about Mighty being original in appearance. Most of the characters in the series were based on the appearance of Sonic, anyway, so it makes sense that they look similar to him. But that's the only thing Mighty's got going for him.

I think Mighty's story checks in because it's consistent with his SEGASonic Arcade appearance too, so if you think about the old games as having a continuity, and maybe if they were slightly more modern, Mighty's story of bad luck and coincidence would have something going for it, no?

Make Sonic's spikes longer, give him knuckles, make him red, and he's Knuckles in 3 easy steps.
Knuckles' dreadlocks aren't just longer spines; they're attached to his head and hang off in a completely different way. He's also got no ears, a longer muzzle, a shorter nose, a different head shape, narrower eyes, different body markings, and different shoes. It isn't anywhere even close to the same thing.

If Mighty wasn't based on Sonic's sprite in ONE game, there would probably be more differences about them too. Come on, you're not really being fair here. Also, Mighty's shoes are different, just not by much.

MArmadillo.png

His skin is more yellow than Sonic's, he has unique ears, he's one of the only characters in the series without some sort of fuzz/spikes/hair, he doesn't have a tail, he has a pointier nose, and he's completely black underneath.

Sonic couldn't walljump back then. Cream is identical to Tails except she has Cheese to attack with.

In Sonic 2, Tails and Sonic has identical gameplay.

Also, Mighty's shoes are different, just not by much.

Not here they aren't.

gens_chaotix.gif

He's even doing the foot-tap thing. They could've edited that out.

Also, yellow skin still puts him under the "recolor" category.

Anyone who wants a really uniquely designed character should take a look at the Great Battle Kukku the 15th. Even if he only had one appearance, he's much more distinguished from the rest of the cast, and more defined than Mighty.

Sonic couldn't walljump back then. Cream is identical to Tails except she has Cheese to attack with.

In Sonic 2, Tails and Sonic has identical gameplay.

Sonic was going to have the walljump in Sonic Crackers, but his sprites were edited over once they changed him to Mighty.

And Tails had more to work with, even when his gameplay was identical. His design had greatly differed from Sonics, and he had other powers like the ability to fly, which even if you couldn't use it, gave designers something to work with in distinguishing him from Sonic.

Also, Cream sucks, and she's highly unoriginal, but there's still more to Tails that separates him from her.

Even though Might just seems like a copy of a Sonic sprite, if they bring him back they definately can work with him to make him more original and give him a back story and fix all those other problems everyone has been complaining about so far. :P

I personally love Mighty's design. An armadillo? Kickass. I would love to see him brought back.

Ugh, I like Cream. :( She had an original design, and it's thanks to her that there are any Chao left in the series at all.

Also, Mighty's shoes ARE different there. Sonic's shoes have white straps going to the bottom of both sides of the shoe, but Mighty's is a oval like shape that doesn't go to the bottom. I know they're hardly different, but they're still different.

If Mighty wasn't based on Sonic's sprite in ONE game, there would probably be more differences about them too.
Maybe, but it is what it is. '06 may have been a good game had they spent more time on it, but they didn't and it isn't, so I'm not going to act like it is.

Hell, considering they created a bunch of new characters with very original designs for Chaotix, and even gave Knuckles a complete respriting, but didn't do shit for Mighty, I'm not so sure they would've.

Maybe it´s just the design or because he only appeared in one game and we don´t know anything about his personality.

Actually, he's a traveling pacifist according to the Japanese manual for Chaotix.

That being said, to me he just doesn't seem that appealing compared to Fang. He has the same abilities as Sonic (the wall jump was something the crackers sprites for Sonic had), is, contrary to popular belief, not a power character (as if we need more of those, anyway), and his design, while somewhat different from Sonic's, still is incredibly similar. He even has the same shoes.

I think Espio was the better choice for Heroes because he's a reptile, as is Vector, and Charmy is an insect, while most characters are mammals. It was a nice twist. And, again, Mighty is a traveler; he was never part of the 'team', IIRC.

EDIT: For the record, I also hate speed/fly/power dynamics.

Edited by Mega

^ Oh yeah, forgot about the pacifist part. That's the only lick of personality he's said to have.

Hell, I don't even know why they included Mighty in Knuckles' Chaotix... maybe they just wanted to keep Sonic out of it. Really, does Mighty even play much of a role in the game at all? Other than being playable extensively (Bomb and Heavy, as I recall, are playable only in a very limited form)? Espio, from what I've heard, is essentially the real star of Knuckles' Chaotix, though he and Knuckles are on about the same level.

I'm sick of Mighty and I've never even played Chaotix lol. It's not that I've got anything against the guy, it's just that he doesn't really add anything. The only thing about him that feels unique is the fact that he's not in any games, so if they put him in a game...then what would happen, exactly?

No offense, but the "Mighty has no personality" argument is pretty stupid, considering the fact that the two games he appeared in had no dialogue whatsoever (as well as what was stated in the manual about him being a pacifist).

No, its not stupid. I've already explained it before. All Sonic characters, when they are created, are given at least a PARAGRAPH describing details about their personality, even if they can't express their personality well in-game. Not all the characters in the classics have this, but other parts of the personality of characters is shown in how they act based on their abilities.

The only thing mentioned about Mighty is he's a pacifist. That's it. That doesn't really describe much, does it? Everything else he does is exactly like Sonic. I don't know if Charmy's original personality was explained in Knuckles' Chaotix or not, but I know Espio's was and I think even Vector's. Regardless, Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and Eggman all had in-depth details about themselves in the past games, and even so, they still had the interactions with the player. Bean and Bark didn't have their personalities explained, but they still show how they act in gameplay. The same goes for Fang and Espio.

I don't know how Mighty acts in Knuckles' Chaotix, but I do know that he was essentially just reshuffled out of Sonic. Pretty much everything he does in Knuckles' Chaotix, Sonic was PLANNED to do originally, anyway, and later he re-inherited some of these prototype abilities (such as walljumping, which returns in Sonic Heroes). The sole thing that differentiates him from Sonic is that "he's a pacifist" personality-wise, and that's not saying much. Sonic doesn't like to fight, either; he chooses to do so to protect those in need. And Mighty sure as hell fights in Knuckles' Chaotix, too, doesn't he?