Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

3 minutes ago, blazefan519 said:

So how about we talk about wispons and how the different wisps could be used in Forces. We already know that Burst is basically more jumps while having an AOE radius, pretty similar to its original form, but more spontaneous and no charge time. Laser seems a bit obvious, just let's you shoot lasers, but what about the other wisps? Would Drill let you dig through the ground or will your arm cannon become a drill and we go full on Gurren Lagann?

I honestly like what I've seen of the wispons so far, since they seem to be instantaneous instead of stopping the pace like it did in Colors, Generations, and Lost World. Hopefully that continues with the other wisps. Also. we still have no idea if Modern and Classic will have access to the other wisps. We see Modern have to use Boost Wisps, but that's all. Classic used wisps in Generations, but that might have only been a one time thing as it was only limited to Planet Wisp. I'm personally hoping that Modern only has the Boost wisps,Classic remains with no wisps, and the Custom Character gets the other wisps.

It's... The Wisps?

I mean, there's not much you can talk about with them. They look the same, they're doing the same things, just via weapons, same announcer doing the POWER voice thing...

Wisps, they're back. They're the same. Just shot out of a gun. Not much to work with.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

It's... The Wisps?

I mean, there's not much you can talk about with them. They look the same, they're doing the same things, just via weapons, same announcer doing the POWER voice thing...

Wisps, they're back. They're the same. Just shot out of a gun. Not much to work with.

I mean, they're not the exact same tho. So... that was the point of the question.

Just now, blazefan519 said:

I mean, they're not the exact same tho. So... that was the point of the question.

True, but they're not all that different either.

Perhaps later on there will be more discussion to be had revolving them, but for the time being it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing, just with the surface tweaked very slightly in their implementation.

Essentially a fuel source for going fast/attacking/hazard avoidance and the companies counter-argument for no other characters.

1 minute ago, Chris Knopps said:

True, but they're not all that different either.

Perhaps later on there will be more discussion to be had revolving them, but for the time being it's a "been there, done that" kind of thing, just with the surface tweaked very slightly in their implementation.

Essentially a fuel source for going fast/attacking/hazard avoidance and the companies counter-argument for no other characters.

Good point, good point. E3's only 15 days away I think. More should be revealed then. Then there will be 50 pages of incoherent arguing for all to enjoy.

• Thumbs Up 5

I decided to review the official material to see if I could narrow down how the Wispons work, since there appears to be a lack of clarity.  Wispons appear to be Wisp-specific; that is, each Wispon will work with only a specific Wisp and no others.  So the Custom Hero basically has single-Wisp levels, but it doesn't have to be the same Wisp each time, they can play the level with different Wispons which will cause different Wisps to become active.  This is reinforced by the design of the Wispon seen so far being flame-themed in the close-up screenshots, and by the appearance in the Park Avenue gameplay video for the Custom Hero of unuseable shadow Wisp capsules, which are colours like green, yellow, and light blue, but which all seem to turn dark blue when the Custom Hero comes into contact with them.  (Without a visible HUD, it's difficult to tell if they have any effect at all.)  It seems that each Wispon has both a travel move and a weapon move; so, the Burst Wispon can use multiple jumps, or it can also become a flamethrower.  I'm guessing it stores up to one Wisp at a time, but again it's difficult to tell as the Park Avenue gameplay is weirdly inconsistent in when the announcer chooses to declare "Burst!" in the opening section (there are six Burst capsules, but the announcer only announces two of them, both near the end of the chain.)

The Wisps basically took the place of the Chaos Emeralds as the Sonic game's macguffin by now, and Forces isn't an exception. Some genius character (100% likely to be Tails) reversed engineered the Wisps into weapons, and that's it, let's fight.

Eggman was taking over the world and no one thought about gathering the Chaos Emeralds, probably the ONLY sort of lore carried over from game to game?! C'mon. Unless Eggman's got his hands on the Emeralds himself, I'm not buying that crap. Don't even get me started on the Master Emerald.

It seems like Sonic Team is focusing all their ideas around the existence of the Wisps...

I'm not saying replacing one plot solver element with another is the problem (and TBH, having a macguffin/deus ex machina element already is a sign of bad writing), but even if people were tired of "Chaos-Emeralds-solves-everything-plot", over the years the writers gave the Emeralds that importance, so why the fuck they're suddenly not important anymore?

IIRC, there was an UNUSED line in Sonic Colors where Eggman says the Wisps are MORE POWERFUL than the Emeralds... Probably shouldn't have had it cut?

55 minutes ago, Jango said:

I'm not saying replacing one plot solver element with another is the problem (and TBH, having a macguffin/deus ex machina element already is a sign of bad writing), but even if people were tired of "Chaos-Emeralds-solves-everything-plot", over the years the writers gave the Emeralds that importance, so why the fuck they're suddenly not important anymore?

To be fair, Wisps were macguffins(story-wise) for 1 game, so I wouldn't say they replaced emeralds yet. And we don't know the story again, so I think it's still early to tell.

But yeah, existence of macguffin is a sign of bad writing, and looks like Forces will have that macguffin too, with Eggman's new power or w/e.

2 hours ago, Jango said:

The Wisps basically took the place of the Chaos Emeralds as the Sonic game's macguffin by now, and Forces isn't an exception. Some genius character (100% likely to be Tails) reversed engineered the Wisps into weapons, and that's it, let's fight.

Eggman was taking over the world and no one thought about gathering the Chaos Emeralds, probably the ONLY sort of lore carried over from game to game?! C'mon. Unless Eggman's got his hands on the Emeralds himself, I'm not buying that crap. Don't even get me started on the Master Emerald.

It seems like Sonic Team is focusing all their ideas around the existence of the Wisps...

IIRC, there was an UNUSED line in Sonic Colors where Eggman says the Wisps are MORE POWERFUL than the Emeralds... Probably shouldn't have had it cut?

I'd like to point out Sonic Team stated THEY like the Wisps, and consumer desires be d@$ned, if they like it, they will keep using it.

4 hours ago, Jango said:

Nah because if they ever decide to use shadow and knuckles again, it would be weird to uproot those characters entire stories for a new power up element. A lot of that type of stuff is " what if we use this again ". 

6 hours ago, Jango said:

I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't the scepter thingy in Rush Adventure more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds?

15 hours ago, blazefan519 said:

Good point, good point. E3's only 15 days away I think. More should be revealed then. Then there will be 50 pages of incoherent arguing for all to enjoy.

Lol

i actually find it funny how much more discussion there seems to be on this game than Sonic Mania when it seems this game has a less favorable impression among sonic fans by comparison.

i guess it just goes to show we all enjoy lambasting a game more than praising it

• Thumbs Up 3

It's more that there's not much to talk about with a game that's doing most everything "right" but not making any serious steps forward or bringing a whole lot new to the table. At that point it's either for you or it's not and there's not much discussion to be had beyond that.

Some people do take some glee in dumping on this game though.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd say the overall vibe surrounding this game is skepticism. Some people are "okay" with the character creator while others would rather avoid it and even for those who are into it, were not sure yet how in depth it will be or what variety it'll realistically add to the gameplay. 

Some people are also exasperated of Green Hill Zone so seeing it yet again just seems like an odd design choice for this game. 

With such sporadic information based on a game that was already questioned for being "Generations 2" I can certainly see why thered be more to discuss 

Does anybody else think that each character will fight their own death egg robot as a boss? There's been three of them shown in the trailer so far and there's 3 playable characters.

I think 3 is just a convenient number of things to show, and isn't meant to imply that there are only 3 robots.

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, I think Eggman already has an army of these things. If there were only 3 robots, then I don't see why only Sonic could take them down.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, PerfectChaos said:

I could be remembering wrong, but wasn't the scepter thingy in Rush Adventure more powerful than the Chaos Emeralds?

It's basically as powerful as the Master Emerald.

55 minutes ago, Acoolsonicfan said:

Does anybody else think that each character will fight their own death egg robot as a boss? There's been three of them shown in the trailer so far and there's 3 playable characters.

I hope we get to take it down in a Boss Battle or like the Egg Chasers/Interceptor minibosses.

I just hope they don't repeat the Generations Boss Battle exactly the same.

Sonic-Forces_2017_05-16-17_005.jpg&key=9

Speaking of which, I wonder how that Crab Boss is going to go down.

Will it be like the Egg Walker and you have to take down one of its legs before hitting the center?

41 minutes ago, Sonictrainer said:

It's basically as powerful as the Master Emerald.

I hope we get to take it down in a Boss Battle or like the Egg Chasers/Interceptor minibosses.

I just hope they don't repeat the Generations Boss Battle exactly the same.

Sonic-Forces_2017_05-16-17_005.jpg&key=9

Speaking of which, I wonder how that Crab Boss is going to go down.

Will it be like the Egg Walker and you have to take down one of its legs before hitting the center?

Is that crab robot an official confirmed boss? For some reason it looks like a fan render. I know original characters are in the game but something about the way it's designed doesn't look like it's actually in the game. I kinda hope it is and that Robotnik is piloting it because that would be pretty cool 

8 minutes ago, Sonicfan287 said:

Is that crab robot an official confirmed boss? For some reason it looks like a fan render. I know original characters are in the game but something about the way it's designed doesn't look like it's actually in the game. I kinda hope it is and that Robotnik is piloting it because that would be pretty cool 

It's official art by Sega. Wouldn't make much sense to tease it (especially as it was teased right before the CaC announcement), and then never follow up on it. It looks as bossy as a boss can get.

• Thumbs Up 5

I'm gonna call it mecha kingler until we actually see it in action.

Did anybody notice the World Map option in the Sonic Forces custom hero trailer, when they are showing the various custom hero options?