Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

Just now, Celestia said:

Well, I don't think it really devalues Forces when that sort of thing doesn't seem to be what Sonic Team is going for.

I didn't understand the "omg this is so edgy" reactions to the original teaser for Project '17 (especially with Classic's entrance lightening the mood, tho' I certainly wish they had something else in place to do that, but I digress), and nearly everything we've learned about the game since has made it clear it's not gonna be even remotely close to being like '06 in terms of tone.

It doesn't help when they promote seriousness gags and 06 simultaneously with Forces development and launch time-frame.

A game that's trying to be more serious comes out and the company does the exact same thing as trolls/consumers by instantaneously resorting to 06 because of it.

"Serious you say? Oh, you mean 06!"

It doesn't help to have the company adding onto the mess when it's already a pot boiling over.

That Sonic Official video that was just posted is getting some humorous reactions out of Aaron there at the very least.

The Chat: "Is Tails dead in Sonic Forces?"

Aaron: "...Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... .... DEFINITELY NOT... .... *Leans over to his partner* DEFINITELY NOT..."

Okay so he's not dead but... something's up with Tails...

Just now, Dr. Detective Mike said:

That Sonic Official video that was just posted is getting some humorous reactions out of Aaron there at the very least.

Chat: "Is Tails dead in Sonic Forces?"

Aaron: ...Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... .... DEFINITELY NOT... .... *Leans over to his partner* DEFINITELY NOT...

He got pi@$ed off that Sonic was joining up with a random OC made by the player and became the real villain.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The Chat: "Is Tails dead in Sonic Forces?"

Aaron: "...Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... .... DEFINITELY NOT... .... *Leans over to his partner* DEFINITELY NOT..."

Well, if Tails is just Sonic's jealous girlfriend again I'll be disappointed. Something has to happen to Tails now. I bet be got brainwashed by Eggman and is evil now.

1 hour ago, Joseph Mello said:

Well, if Tails is just Sonic's jealous girlfriend again I'll be disappointed. Something has to happen to Tails now. I bet be got brainwashed by Eggman and is evil now.

I still really like the idea of "Evil Tails" or a "Sonic against Tails" kind of thing.

Problem is, I'm worried about that idea in the hands of the current people in charge. And that sucks because Evil Villain Tails sounds so adorkable. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Joseph Mello said:

Is that really any better after playing the hypnotized schtick in BOTH the Colors title and in Lost World too?

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Is that really any better after playing the hypnotized schtick in BOTH the Colors title and in Lost World too?

Yes if finally works now.

Also, we never had a Sonic vs Tails fight!

Just now, Joseph Mello said:

Yes if finally works now.

Also, we never had a Sonic vs Tails fight!

...Archie already made me sick of it...

I mean, we did

It was just in the comics. And the cause of it, well the lead up to it was the 2nd worst thing sonic has ever produced as a franchise, and the stuff that came right after. 

However, the in the moment cause, was actually cool. Sonic under estimated tails and took him for granted, and tails was like " nah b i'm bout to give you that work" and he did, he infact gave sonic that work. I mean, the reasons outside of that were sexist and again apart of the 2nd worst storyline in all of sonic ever. But if you ignore all that, the idea of sonic taking dudes for granted and him getting bopped hard is great, and I would like to see it

House of Cards doesn't count. 

We never had a Sonic vs Tails battle in the main games... It could work so well.

And something that I can see the writers doing well is Sonic and Tails friendship. So Sonic is pretty much forced to battle Tails to defeat Eggman...

Assuming Tails is evil on Forces. Nothing is confirmed yet (Sadly)

Looking at the stream again, it seems like the voice the OC will be getting is just grunts I think.

OC will show up in cutscenes.

We can also customize the OC controls, like switching wispons before going to a level.

...Are they implying that the dialogue will be different depending on the customization/OC dialogue?

6 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

We never had a Sonic vs Tails battle in the main games... It could work so well.

Sonic-vs-Tails.jpg

You're welcome.

hqdefault.jpg

Also that.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

He said the main games.

I consider that as much as we need really...

Then you have the Olympic titles, the Racing titles, Rivals and Riders...

We have more than plenty Sonic vs Tails stuff going on. Perhaps not in the main games, but still.

It's like wanting more Green Hill to me.

22 minutes ago, Fusion Force said:

Looking at the stream again, it seems like the voice the OC will be getting is just grunts I think.

OC will show up in cutscenes.

We can also customize the OC controls, like switching wispons before going to a level.

...Are they implying that the dialogue will be different depending on the customization/OC dialogue?

Different dialogue is a distinct possibility. This probably won't have much of an impact on the main story but more like subtle little differences in how each scene plays out, while still heading towards roughly the same narrative.

The best comparison for this might actually be Fallout 4's dialogue. Many of that game's conversations have different dialogue options but the flow of the conversation still ends up at more or less the same point eventually.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

We have more than plenty Sonic vs Tails stuff going on. Perhaps not in the main games, but still.

Nah, is really not the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, Joseph Mello said:

Nah, is really not the same.

We get different/better writers then I'll be more willing.

4 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

All of these examples are friendly competitions (unless something happened in Battle that I forget, or Rivals which I never played). Not exactly actual fights.

I kind of doubt Tails will switch sides because of Sonic going missing, so if it happens it'll be brainwashing. As long as we actually got a boss fight out of it I'd personally be cool with that, but I'm sure for most people it would feel kinda "too little too late" after the fake outs in Colours and Lost World. Unless it was a really cool boss or something (I liked the rival battles in Gens so I think they could pull it off if they actually tried).

• Thumbs Up 7

The stream also confirmed that there will be some new art for Forces (and Mania) at E3 so I'll be looking forward to that!

• Thumbs Up 3

8 hours ago, Diogenes said:

What? When has DK been "cool and edgy"?

I imagine if the first couple of Donkey Kong countries were released nowadays you would see the word edgy be thrown around but quite a bit due to their rather somber atmosphere and comparatively grittier art style with other Nintendo platformers, especially because of the innocent nature of the Mario series. Now whether or not they mean that as a bad thing depends on the person, because the definition is pretty messy especially when it comes to Sonic. Personally I think people are way too sensitive and quick to write things off edgy nowadays. I saw the first Sonic Forces trailer being called edgy even though it's very tame.

I don't think heavier themes should be strictly off limits for Sonic just because 'it wouldn't fit', because not only is it hard to tell what exactly fits in Sonic anymore but it creates a very narrow view of what the franchise can do with its premises. Other games which I would say are similar to Sonic like Ratchet and Clank have done plots of mass destruction or other stuff while keeping it appropriate. Or hell, even other Sonic stuff like Satam, the comics and even the adventures and classic games did some heavier themes fairly well. It's all a matter of presentation on Sonic Team's part, and they haven't done it well in the past but I don't want them to start playing it even safer than they are now because of some silly stigma. A long running problem with this franchise is that they shut everything down before it gets a chance to develop, and I think it's been harming Sonics potential to do better things with its story and atmosphere 

also I would totally eat up a Sonic game with a similar mood to Donkey Kong Country but also mixed with Sonic CD that'd be super good

2 hours ago, Celestia said:

All of these examples are friendly competitions (unless something happened in Battle that I forget, or Rivals which I never played). Not exactly actual fights.

Sonic and Tails never fight in Battle or Rivals 2, so they're saved from the concept of fighting friendship.

I was thinking the other day about the question raised in this thread of how the Custom Character would be handled in CG cutscenes, if indeed there were any - and it occurred to me that, since your character is strictly speaking "you," they could just present them from your character's first-person perspective.  But of course, there may not be any CG cutscenes at all.

Being able to equip different Wispons outside of levels to change how you play in-level sounds similar to an idea a few people have brought up before now, of having Sonic's friends function something like equippable Wisps with the ability to bring one friend into a level with you who can perform various passive or active moves on Sonic's behalf.  But of course, that would involve Sonic's friends doing something useful and being even semi-playable, so we can't even have that.

CG cutscenes are for action...so there would be some First-person thrill-ride spectacle if your character gets to move around a lot.

10 hours ago, Chris Knopps said:

The thing's hotter than the Wii was.

Liiiiiiiiiiiittle soon to make that call, methinks, considering it isn't even a year old.

Remember that the Wii sold as well as it did because grandmas and fitness nuts bought it for Wii Sports and then never touched it again after a couple of months or so. I don't see that happening with the Switch - no similar casual appeal.

Also, y'know, the Wii U was a sales hit in its first bracket too, and, well, we all know how that ended.

9 hours ago, Celestia said:

Most of what I prefer about SA1's gameplay is level design. Like, to address the most obvious issue, it definitely feels like SA2 was when they decided to start giving up entirely on the series' mechanics (for one thing I don't seem to recall a single instance of natural ramps, versus SA1 which at least had a few here and there). SA1 wasn't perfect about it either to be fair (the few ramps mentioned previously use dash panels as far as I can recall), but the next game should have been at least a small step forward at worst. Instead it was one step forward, two steps back.

I don't know about that. While enjoyable, many of the small amount of ramps had little bearing on the experience beyond spectacle, while SA2 has a few ramps and genuinely satisfying instances of wall-running that both lead somewhere and require you to maintain momentum. Both games felt satisfying to me in different ways and now feel severely lacking in other ways.

But of course, it's always a big case of YMMV with those games.

• Thumbs Up 2