Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

12 minutes ago, -Robin- said:

I dunno, I prefer the emphasis of the OCs here over the Sonic company, in the context of Forces.

It helps provide that message of "Sonic and the others won't be around forever, so who's going to take up the mantle in the future?" kind of thing.

Having a wholly unique character would be suited for that, granted, but OCs still help carry that message better than "Amy got off the couch since Sonic went AWOL."

Yeah...not really agreeing here personally. Not really into the OC's being the main seller of Forces instead of a neat little side extra, and certainly not a fan of the extended cast being a glorified cheer squad again.

plus, given SEGA, I doubt they gave that much depth and and thought into the whole OC thing, regarding the "why" anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am hyped now. The character looks cute and the gameplay he/she is given seems very Sonic-ish and works very well with platforming. I expect to see a ShTH done right.

Sonic has had it rough these past few years

And by the looks of it, he's in for a few more, to boot

I mean you don't have to like, but it's pretty factual at this point... And, y'know, that's sorta a journalist's job... To report the state of affairs and give context to outsiders...

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

It's not spreading lies. It's nothing more than acknowledging the truth of this series' long-term struggles.

The likes of IGN with Unleashed, Destructoid with Sonic Colors, Gameinformer with Generations and Gamespot with Lost World, beg to highly differ.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, KHCast said:

plus, given SEGA, I doubt they have that much depth and and thought into the whole OC thing, regarding the "why" anyway.

Eh, kinda. Sonic Team already has experience with character creators since they worked on a few Phantasy Star games, IIRC.

Just now, Detective Kaito said:

Eh, kinda. Sonic Team already has experience with character creators since they worked on a few Phantasy Star games, IIRC.

I'm referring to the contextual "why", referring to the idea of "Sonic passing on the mantle to a new generation." I don't see ST actually attempting purposely to convey that message 

• Thumbs Up 1

The issue, @Diogenes, is that it's a deliberate collective effort on these journalist's part to drag the franchise's name through the mud because that's what gets views/clicks.

Whenever they talk about Zelda, you don't see them writing "OH HEY GUYS, REMEMBER THE CDI GAMES AND HOW THEY SUCKED? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LINK'S HAD IT ROUGH," do you? Nor when they're pouring lavish 10/10 praise on the latest Mario game do they casually insert "BUT AT LEAST IT'S NOT HOTEL MARIO OR MARIO IS MISSING, EH GUYS?"

The game journalism industry has a beef with Sonic and it's made exceedingly apparent through their articles and reviews.

• Thumbs Up 8

1 minute ago, Nepenthe said:

Because it's irrelevant to the current state of the franchise.

New games don't exist in a vacuum. The series is where it is now in large part due to the games that came before and the responses to those games. If they're going to say anything about a game as an entry in a long-running series, the troubled history of that series is immensely relevant.

• Thumbs Up 6

18 minutes ago, Pink Cat said:

Wait a minute..

EgsNy46.png      Wgi5EhH.jpg?1

Now I can finally make the Doomguy Sonic OC I've always wanted. This franchise might be headed in the right direction after all.

Spoiler

Just kidding. Seeing more and more news for this game is like watching someone on a go kart slam head-first into a concrete wall: entertaining, but sad.

Also not a fan of in-level vocals. Yuck.

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, RLS Legacy said:

The issue, @Diogenes, is that it's a deliberate collective effort on these journalist's part to drag the franchise's name through the mud because that's what gets views/clicks.

Whenever they talk about Zelda, you don't see them writing "OH HEY GUYS, REMEMBER THE CDI GAMES AND HOW THEY SUCKED? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA LINK'S HAD IT ROUGH," do you? Nor when they're pouring lavish 10/10 praise on the latest Mario game do they casually insert "BUT AT LEAST IT'S NOT HOTEL MARIO OR MARIO IS MISSING, EH GUYS?"

The game journalism industry has a beef with Sonic and it's made exceedingly apparent through their articles and reviews.

Wrath of Gamelon was released over 20 years ago.

Sonic Boom was released in 2014

• Thumbs Up 5

4 minutes ago, Diogenes said:

New games don't exist in a vacuum. The series is where it is now in large part due to the games that came before and the responses to those games. If they're going to say anything about a game as an entry in a long-running series, the troubled history of that series is immensely relevant.

Here's my friend. He's a recovered addict. His well-mannered demeanor and clothing that please you so are the result of his recognition of his physiologically-destructive drug habits and months of hard rehabilitation.

I figured you needed to know that.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Blue Blood said:

Boom was the last major Sonic game

No it wasn't, when are people going to grasp this? Rise of Lyric was a crappy licensed tie-in to a cartoon series outsourced to a third party and not developed by Sonic Team. It should be treated as such.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, RLS Legacy said:

That you have to dig for old, obscure third party spinoffs on a console basically no one played compared to relatively recent main series releases and well hyped spinoff continuities shows exactly why the responses are different.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, RLS Legacy said:

No it wasn't, when are people going to grasp this? Rise of Lyric was a crappy licensed tie-in to a cartoon series outsourced to a third party and not developed by Sonic Team. It should be treated as such.

It was a Sonic game. Being a TV show tie-in and a spin-off series makes no difference. It was a big Sonic game that SEGA pushed as a AAA title. The semantics don't matter to anyone. 

• Thumbs Up 8

3 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Boom was the last major Sonic game

A misconception. It's a spin-off title game. It's a grave misconception yes, but a misconception no less.

4 minutes ago, Blue Blood said:

Lost World got a mixed reception at best

With a higher ratio to positive, not to mention, even that game had classic BS journalism such as Gamespot faking "bad controls" akin to IGN's infamous Unleashed review.

10 minutes ago, KHCast said:

Yeah...not really agreeing here personally. Not really into the OC's being the main seller of Forces instead of a neat little side extra, and certainly not a fan of the extended cast being a glorified cheer squad again.

plus, given SEGA, I doubt they gave that much depth and and thought into the whole OC thing, regarding the "why" anyway.

That's fair. The choice between going for OCs and for using the crew was have some contention either way, but the thought of "Sonic has to go recruit fighters to bring down Future Eggman's empire" pretty much cemented the idea of original characters in hindsight. No sense in playing up this recruitment drive when "Oh shit, Knuckles is back!" would have sufficed from Day 1 if that was what was going to happen.

Just now, Blue Blood said:

It was a Sonic game. Being a TV show tie-in and a spin-off series makes no difference. It was a big Sonic game that SEGA pushed as a AAA title. The semantics don't matter to anyone. 

By this logic, the Sonic racing spinoffs and such should be held to the same standards as the main series. Which is just ridiculous.

• Thumbs Up 4

To bring the focus back onto the game for a hot minute. I now more than ever hope that Original The Character plays his part in this story and then tragically dies before/during/after the final boss of the game.

And unlike Shadow, I hope they stay dead.

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Nepenthe said:

Here's my friend. He's a recovered addict. His well-mannered demeanor and clothing that please you so are the result of his recognition of his physiologically-destructive drug habits and months of hard rehabilitation.

I figured you needed to know that.

I honestly don't know what kind of point you're trying to make with this.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, oh shite. I don't know what to think of our...eh, Buddy. Not only him/her, but the mess that this game seems to be. Not gonna judge this thing right here and now, I need to see more. I wish they went all 3D Sonic only but this could end up being decent after all. We'll see.

1 minute ago, Blue Blood said:

So Sonic and All-stars Racing series are also Sonic games. Okay :P

No, but yeah, even if Rise of Lyric is a spin-off, it was marketed as a big game, so there's no excuse in it being bad

• Thumbs Up 1