Awoo.

Sonic Forces | PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC "The Next Generations"

Badnik Mechanic

6 minutes ago, Knuxchao said:

Sonic Unleashed says hey. It's more than an hour long and ignoring the critics, people regard it as a good game and the one that got us out of the dark ages.

Unleashed's length was still massively padded by the werehog, and if we're counting classic Sonic as separate from modern, I don't see why the werehog shouldn't be counted likewise.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just now, Diogenes said:

Unleashed's length was still massively padded by the werehog, and if we're counting classic Sonic as separate from modern, I don't see why the werehog shouldn't be counted likewise.

Even if we cut out the werehog, I'm guessing the game would have still been over 2.5 hours because they is so much to do in that game and so many missions to do. It's a pretty meaty game that got longer because of the werehog. 

I would bring up Sonic Colors but this is just an average time of people who have beaten the game, main story alone was about 5 hours. Don't know how long the actual game was but there's stuffs to do in Sonic Colors as well. And this was also regarded by the critics and fans as a good game.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, Blacklightning said:

This is another thing that bothers me too, just the fact that Iizuka immediately had to clarify that this isn't a Generations sequel when they could have billed it differently in the teaser to start with. If you don't want people to think it's a sequel to a completely different game then don't reveal it exactly the same fucking way, fffs. I really wanna just smack Sega's marketing team over the head with a broom right now.

I can see that being the case. Iizuka and company having to accommodate and trying to fix the mess of SEGA'S marketing head's incompetence and such sparking the fanbase with such unnecessary doubts. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Classic Sonic is in there because he sells T-shirts. It's archaic marketing logic from the 80s. 

1 hour ago, Dejimon11 said:

Unleashed is one of those games that people started saying it's a good game until the last couple of years. It's the reverse effect the Sonic Adventure games had. 

That's total bullshit I loved sonic unleashed the moment it came out and I remember when it was released most of what I heard was that the daytime was great and the night time was meh to bad. So I disagree that it's bad but people are just saying it's good years later.

Those guys already have Sonic Mania to enjoy. Why can't Sega work on a game that is purely just Modern Sonic?

Because just cause they have a classic game doesn't mean sega doesn't want them to enjoy playing as him in the new 3d game?

I'm surprised that people still think that Classic Sonic is going to play like he did in the Genesis Games in that 2.5D style from Sonic Generations when Sega made a huge deal about putting him right into Sonic Dash, a 3D Sonic endless runner. Chill, guys. It's extremely likely that Classic Sonic won't play too differently from Sonic. It would have been nice to see other characters join them side by side, but there's a good chance that multiple playable characters are making a comeback due to the success stories of Dash and Runners (yet another game that Classic Sonic has hopped into recently). They're just having to figure out how to make their abilities work in unique ways ala Sonic 3 and the Advance games but have them still complete the same objectives of a Sonic game. 

That trailer was extremely vague beyond telling us that ol' Eggman here has won for once (the fascist manchild finally did it, by jove). For all we know, this could be the Sonic Adventure 3 in all but name only that we've been secretly hoping for. For some people, seeing the other characters though? Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric has already left a bad taste in the public's mouths on top of Sonic Team experimenting and not quite nailing their idea in Lost World. They're going to hold off on showing Sonic's Expansive Cast of Friends (tm) for now. For all we know, this could be a 3D Sonic game that has better parkour implemented into the Sonic moveset ontop of the stuff Sonic already does in non Lost World games and Classic Sonic is a slower but still competent parkour artiste. That kid did run on ceilings back in Sonic 3 and Knuckles now. 

I'd say to wait and see what we get. This is the game that Sonic Retro's Endri had a beta testing experience with more than likely and that game sounded incredible

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, LongcrierCat said:

I'm surprised that people still think that Classic Sonic is going to play like he did in the Genesis Games in that 2.5D style from Sonic Generations when Sega made a huge deal about putting him right into Sonic Dash, a 3D Sonic endless runner. Chill, guys. It's extremely likely that Classic Sonic won't play too differently from Sonic. It would have been nice to see other characters join them side by side, but there's a good chance that multiple playable characters are making a comeback due to the success stories of Dash and Runners (yet another game that Classic Sonic has hopped into recently). They're just having to figure out how to make their abilities work in unique ways ala Sonic 3 and the Advance games but have them still complete the same objectives of a Sonic game. 

People don't need to chill just because you think them sticking him into sonic dash means anything about how he is going to play in this game. There is no reason to be surpirsed that people think that he is going to play the same because they have given us no real reason to think otherwise. If Iizuka was trying to indicate that by saying it's not a sequel then he did a terrible job and should have been clearer. It's "extremely likely" How could you possibly know that when all we have to go on is 10 seconds of him running around in the trailer? 

6 hours ago, Sonictrainer said:

How does everyone feel about the name, "Sonic Resistance"?

Gonna agree with others that it sounds rather dull.

If Eggman has indeed conquered the world here, I think a more appropriate title would be Sonic the Hedgehog: Empire Rising, or Global Crisis, or maybe Eggman's Wrath.

Could be something else entirely, but I think Sonic Team's is a little more creative, or at least clever, when it comes to titles than we give them credit (baring ShTH and Sonic 06)

Maybe Classic Sonic will play like 3D Blast. 

...I say that jokingly but now I kind of want to see that.

Y'know what. I'm placing my bets on Modern Sonic's gameplay (at least) being based on the boost style, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was very different from when we saw it last. For example, both Sonic's running for a bit and then suddenly blasting away reminds me a lot of the Advance-style boost mode. In fact, that would be way more fitting for Classic Sonic in particular, compared to the press X = instant full speed boost. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but if not...I called it, I guess? Though I'm sure plenty of other fans have had the same thought. XP

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Because they don't know how to make a modern game that's good and more than an hour long.

While this is true, the classics aren't what you'd describe as long games. Most people can complete them in 2/3 hours (each) no problem.

Just now, Scar said:

While this is true, the classics aren't what you'd describe as long games. Most people can complete them in 2/3 hours (each) no problem.

The same can be said about a lot of old-school games, where they only ever took so long due to difficulty/bad design and were otherwise pretty short games.

24 minutes ago, Celestia said:

Maybe Classic Sonic will play like 3D Blast. 

...I say that jokingly but now I kind of want to see that.

Y'know what. I'm placing my bets on Modern Sonic's gameplay (at least) being based on the boost style, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was very different from what we saw last. For example, both Sonic's running for a bit and then suddenly blasting away reminds me a lot of the Advance-style boost mode. In fact, that would be way more fitting for Classic Sonic in particular, compared to the press X = instant full speed boost. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but if not...I called it, I guess? Though I'm sure plenty of other fans have had the same thought. XP

Isn't this technically what classic is doing in Mania when he preforms his tier two running animation or does that function more like it does in CD? Anyway I think you're on to something with that and that would change up the boost formula and bring back the speed as a reward gameplay in 3D. 

Perhaps Classic Sonic is a sidekick in this new game, a la Tails in Sonic 2, and maybe two players can play together with classic and modern Sonic.

I think it makes sense that Classic Sonic is there for the 25th anniversary game. I'm totally happy with Sonic Mania, but I like that I'll be able to play with Classic Sonic in a 3D (or 2.5D) game.

It's funny how many Sonic fans see Sonic Mania will be successful, but Sonic "Resistance" as a "let's see...". 

25 minutes ago, JezMM said:

I will say I am disappointed that right now it's very likely that the next 3D Sonic will again be two thirds 2D again.  I really hope this game surprises us by making Classic playable in a 2D/3D mix (perhaps with stages similar to Sonic Adventure gameplay for the latter) OR makes Modern Sonic ENTIRELY 3D with all 2D gameplay reserved for Classic.

Either way I'd like a 50/50 ratio for once.

Agreed. Give Modern Sonic room to breathe in the 3D space.

On the subject of length, I think a shorter game with little in the way of fluff suits Sonic perfectly. Generations almost got it right, though I feel all those missioms could have been substituted for another Zone or two.

6 hours ago, Diogenes said:

Because they don't know how to make a modern game that's good and more than an hour long.

Why does a game have to be 20+ hours long in the first place? Given the choice between stupid padding, like the Werehog or forcing each campaign to be the same length in 06, and a shorter end-to-end experience that has replay value like Colours or Generations, I'd choose the latter every time. 

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Sam Sanderson Sandleberger said:

Because just cause they have a classic game doesn't mean sega doesn't want them to enjoy playing as him in the new 3d game?

It's not entirely the fact that Classic fans already have a full-fledged Classic Sonic game. It's also the fact that we've already seen the concept of "Sonic teams up with Classic Sonic", which was supposed to be a one time thing, and really SHOULD'VE been a one-time thing. 

I have decidedly mixed feelings about the trailer, chiefly because it didn't really suggest a lot beyond a more epic Generations sequel. If it really isn't that, then I guess the trailer was meant to simply remind people of the goodwill earned by Gens and perhaps Classic will be less significant than he appears to be right now. I like the more serious stakes and the suggestion that Eggman has come out on top for once. There's not really a lot else to go on. This feels a lot like your typical uninformative triple-AAA teaser, with phrases like 'Join the Resistance' meaning very little when it could simply be a weird marketing thing. I hope we get more information soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

Right. Just heard about this. Give basic, quick thoughts.

- Eggman has either won or at least gain a lot of strength? Good. Very good. If true, anyway. We've only seen giant Death Egg Robot-esque. While they do hint to Eggman (Please, Modern Eggman), based on history, wouldn't be surprised if Monster of the Week show up. But if true, excellent way to build villan credit

- If Eggman, I want his strength to not come from Sonic being gone or time traveling, but rather through military force, robotic upgrades, and staying always one step ahead of Sonic - - like he's come to know him so well, he's able to use it to his advantage. More villain credit. Sonic being unable to defend from absence just weakens the victory. Unlikely to be force due to Classic - time travel is hinted. Sick of time travel, used too much.

- Tone. Excellent. Very action adventure. Sonic seems to be struggling a little.

- Classic Sonic. Boo. That just brought the mood down.

- No Green Hill? Good.

- "Not Generations 2?" Not convinced. Classic Sonic and appears to have boosting. That's Generations. Might just be different interpretation of what constitutes a sequel.

- "Join the resistance." Implies Eggman winning/having the upper hand and building up a counterforce to fight him. Probably just chosen to sound more of a big deal - "Rise against the Deadly Six." Expecting just Sonic and Sonic. What an underwhelming resistance.

- Cyclops Death Egg Robots. May mmean something with design changes? May just be chosen to separate from actual Death Egg Robot. May be chosen for intimidation. Personally, I want to call them Egg Reapers:

Priority_rannoch_-_el_reaper.png

tumblr_oar5lubMjp1uxmqkuo5_1280.jpg

One thing I desperately hope this game does is explain where these games actually take place! If they want us to take this story seriously then they need to be consistent with this world that the characters live in, because they never really have taken these worlds seriously. So far I feel as though this game is a step backwards aesthetically from Lost World, and it's a shame because with Lost World I was thinking that they'd finally actually established a world for where these characters live.

I don't get how something like this:

Spoiler

F6pVouh.png

Can just exist in the same lore as something like this:

Spoiler

BpQMu1r.png

It's just really inconsistent. What happened to the flickies? That's what I wanna know...

(EDIT: I fixed it, sorry about that! New to this...)

Edited by JingleBoy
It was stupid before

3 minutes ago, JingleBoy said:

One thing I desperately hope this game does is explain where these games actually take place! If they want us to take this story seriously then they need to be consistent with this world that the characters live in, because they never really have taken these worlds seriously. So far I feel as though this game is a step backwards aesthetically from Lost World, and it's a shame because with Lost World I was thinking that they'd finally actually established a world for where these characters live.

I don't get how something like this:

http://imgur.com/BpQMu1r

Can just exist in the same lore as something like this:

http://imgur.com/F6pVouh

It's just really inconsistent. What happened to the flickies? That's what I wanna know...

poopootwopoo.png

They can't really show flickies in such a serious trailer, now can they. There is also a problem of this being a destroyed city with nothing alive insight besides Sonic and Classic, in the Lost World trailer it was a grassy cylinder, thus it made more sense for different life to be there. I think its possible for this two elements to be in the same world. Just like something like Love and Hate exist in this one.