Awoo.

The SSMB 100

Patticus

Yeah, my bad. It just hit me when I saw Unleashed up there that we haven't even seen half of the Sonic games yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Kirby Super Star's probably the only game of the series to make it on the list. Meh. It's a fantastic game but there are a number of other Kirby games I found much more enjoyable, and KSS's popularity astounds me.

Voted for Phoenix Wright and SMB3. From what I've heard from my friend by the way, who is an incredibly hyper AA fangirl, T&T wasn't nearly as impressive as the first game or Apollo Justice.

• Thumbs Up 1

From what I've heard from my friend by the way, who is an incredibly hyper AA fangirl, T&T wasn't nearly as impressive as the first game or Apollo Justice.

The story of the third game beats the hell out of the one from the first game. The only detriment is that T&T is a bit shorter and lacks the DS-only stuff from Rise From the Ashes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wow, this was probably the most surprising set so far. Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time? Sonic Unleashed and Brawl this high? SU isn't as surpising, considering this is a Sonic forum, but I was under the impression that most people on this board disliked Brawl. Apparantely I was wrong.

Anyway, my #1 and #2 games have been on the last 2 lists (Paper Mario at #27 and Chrono Trigger at #20), so I'm glad to see them get that high, although I was hoping CT might make the top 10. I can't remember my list exactly outside of the top 2, but I do know a lot of my games have made the list so far, including 6 of them in the current set. I guess my favorite games are more comparable to the rest of the board than I had previously thought.

Edited by Unknown
  • Thumbs Up 1

The story of the third game beats the hell out of the one from the first game. The only detriment is that T&T is a bit shorter and lacks the DS-only stuff from Rise From the Ashes.

I've spoiled myself of the events of AA3 - I am not so sure of that, myself!...

Then again, I spoiled everything.

• Thumbs Up 1

Majora's Mask over Ocarina of Time?

I'm surprised as well, but probably for a different reason. MM was highly underrated, it seems, mere months after it came out. Its like everyone forgot that it existed. Period reviews almost unanimously rated it above OoT, and it showed up on top games lists that came out soon after (it beat OoT on EGMs Top 100 games that they did in 2001); but as soon as the next game was announced it became sort of like a lost child. I personally think its the best Zelda game period, though I didn't vote for any Zelda games.

Edited by Tornado
  • Thumbs Up 1

How anyone can consider the first Ace attorney game better than the third baffles me, considering that the writing gets better over time. Then again, that's the thing with the public vote isn't it, nostalgia and popularity is key.
By that logic Twilight Princess is a better game then OoT.

I think personally T&T /is/ better then AA, but without the first game(s) to set it up, it would've been nowhere near as good. It's so great because it works as the closer to the series, as stand alone games, I think I would enjoy AA more.

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy shit what Unleashed this high? I didn't vote for it myself and I don't really agree (it's a damn good game but not best thing ever material) but at the same time that's a really nice surprise, I mean I know this forum is filled with Sonic fanboys but to actually have the most recent title in the list this high is a great, great sign of optimism and not just being stuck with the 2D fiffle.

Only one game I voted on this list, and that's the almighty Half-Life. Still the greatest FPS game ever made, unrivaled in pace, atmosphere and sense of place. It revolutionised the genre, playing it for the first time was a massive WOAH after another and the only thing time has done to null its power is the graphics (which are still very tolerable). Salute.

• Thumbs Up 1

I played half life for the first time shortly after Half Life 2 came out and it was still a whoa experience, even after the sequel. Compared to games of the era, it's totally in a class of it's own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Compared to games of the era, it's totally in a class of it's own.

Hell, compared to the FPS games of today it's still in a class of its own.

• Thumbs Up 1

By that logic Twilight Princess is a better game then OoT.
Yes. The nostalgia filter doesn't affect me as much as other people, due to me starting my console gaming with the gamecube. Personally, I think that TP IS better than OOT, by doing everything that OOT did much better. XD

It's the same reason why playing BioShock after Fallout 3 spoilt the game for me, because F3 is everything that I wanted from a FPS. While the story is great, everything else is a step back.

Edit: Yet I wouldn't be very suprised if BioShock made the bloody top ten. XD

Edited by Gerkuman
  • Thumbs Up 1

Fallout 3 isn't really an FPS like Bioshock isn't really an RPG. Those games are only comparable in that each really half assed the other genre they tried to shoehorn in.

System Shock 2, now there's an RPG!

Yes. The nostalgia filter doesn't affect me as much as other people, due to me starting my console gaming with the gamecube.
that's your problem right there.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Surprised to see Unleashed and Brawl this high. Still, good to see SM3, Sonic 16-bit and Phoenix Wright here

• Thumbs Up 1

that's your problem right there.

I'd say that's a good thing, the less nostalgia people get the clearer their real view is.

TP is a fantastic game, but it has a few big flaws that perhaps make OoT better than it:

- The overworld is HUGE, but barren and empty with very few fun little secrets that we've come to expect from Zelda

- It was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY EASY (seriously, I hadn't died once on my first playthrough, embarassing for a Zelda game)

- Link is a pointless character. You play as him, he's the "legendary" hero, but that's about it. What else does he do to serve the plot? Nothing really, he hardly fits properly into any big clich

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'd say that's a good thing, the less nostalgia people get the clearer their real view is.
Not having played gaming's greats at the time of their release is a horrible thing. You can only look back at them, tinted with the shades of the future then.

Games which seem comparitively bad now (ie. FFVII) were amazing at release. I don't see how that impact should be lessened because something prettier came out later.

• Thumbs Up 1

Not having played gaming's greats at the time of their release is a horrible thing. You can only look back at them, tinted with the shades of the future then.

Games which seem comparitively bad now (ie. FFVII) were amazing at release. I don't see how that impact should be lessened because something prettier came out later.

If a game is truly great, it'll be appreciated no matter when you play it. It won't be appreciated as much, but you'll be able to appreciate it for what it is (age makes a difference here I guess, the older you are the less foggy your view of that game will become). Like I said before, I played FFVII for the very first time late last year, and it's now one of my favourite games. The same goes for Chrono Trigger, which I played for the first time when it came out on DS.

It's the games that have been undeniably improved upon in every way (yet people still prefer the old ones somehow) that I have a problem with.

Nostalgia is one of the main reasons people think "gaming isn't as good as it used to be!", and you have people who say that 6th gen and 7th gen are totally lacking in the fantastic games department, which couldn't be any further from the truth.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nostalgia is one of the main reasons people think "gaming isn't as good as it used to be!", and you have people who say that 6th gen and 7th gen are totally lacking in the fantastic games department, which couldn't be any further from the truth.
The reason people don't like 6th or 7th gen gaming is because they own nintendo consoles. :P
  • Thumbs Up 1

The reason people don't like 6th or 7th gen gaming is because they own nintendo consoles. :P

The Wii was so disappointing that I went multiconsole (even though it still has games like Galaxy), I've never made a better gaming decision in my life. Also the DS is the very peak of portable gameplay, there's a fantastic selection there.

The only thing making 6th and 7th gen boring is how many generic FPS there are. Before 5th gen they never really existed on consoles. ;)

EDIT: Figured I'll make my top 10 predictions... xP Assuming that's alright?

Mario Galaxy

Pok

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

The only thing making 6th and 7th gen boring is how many generic FPS there are. Before 5th gen they never really existed on consoles
Putting aside the fact there has been console FPSes since the SNES, the only reason for that is that didn't know how. :P It was only after halo liad down the easy peasy FPS template we saw an infestation.

Not necessarily a bad thing either- for every bad FPS, there's an awesome one

• Thumbs Up 1

The current gens are bloody boring because everything tries to be like everything else in regards to gameplay, stylistic design and settings while all the attention towards graphics has been given to the technical quality e-penis rather than how much the game's look would stand out from other games. The FPS genre in particular is terribly suffering from this at the moment, even if there's a good game cropping out here and there they all still look and play the same.

SuperLink is right in the fact that a great game should be a great game even years after its release, instead of just being nostalgia-driven corpse mercilessly outplayed by every single game of its genre after its release. However, rose-tinted glasses and nostalgia are not necessarily bad. Whether or not a game is great is a matter of an opinion, a subjective thing, and the only measure of greatness that should matter is how you yourself feel about it. So what if you wear rose-tinted glasses while playing the game you fell in love a decade ago and that now feels horribly clunky in both graphics and execution. It still remains special for you, which is what most matters. Hell, objectively it's terribly sad if an old member of a thriving genre still remains special because of its gameplay only rather than just the impact and revolutionary status it had.

But fuck objectivity. We are talking about a top list here. We are talking about opinions. Fuck objectivity.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

The current gens are bloody boring because everything tries to be like everything else in regards to gameplay, stylistic design and settings while all the attention towards graphics has been given to the technical quality e-penis rather than how much the game's look would stand out from other games. The FPS genre in particular is terribly suffering from this at the moment, even if there's a good game cropping out here and there they all still look and play the same.

But then we have the dramatic increase in indie games in the last 2 gens, and those have been great for the industry (who seem a bit stuck until someone gives them a creative shove). Far more user generated content, and some devs (as muc as it pains me to admit, Nintendo) just don't care about visuals and would rather do something different even if it meant avoiding improvement >.<

Also, having a game that's special to you is something, I think everyone feels that about atleast one game, but being deluded into thinking it's still superior to all new games of the genre just because you enjoyed it as a kid (when kids enjoy pretty much anything) is what really annoys me about nostalgia.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some Top Games That Missed The Top 100

• Castle Crashers
  • Tales Of Symphonia
  • Sonic & Knuckles (on its own)
  • Plants Vs. Zombies
  • ICO

ssmbunranking.jpg

wtfs.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

But then we have the dramatic increase in indie games in the last 2 gens, and those have been great for the industry. Far more user generated content, and some devs (as muc as it pains me to admit, Nintendo) just don't care about visuals and would rather do something different even if it meant avoiding improvement >.<

Indie scene's been strong in the PC side of things for ages, Counter-Strike (the world's most popular online FPS at least until recently) started out as a one-man mod and many other examples, not to mention there's always been small studios around creating intriguing things. The current console-brought indie thing, ie XBL offerings and such, gets my proper attention once they stop being overglorified flash games.

Regarding visuals, paying attention to them isn't bad. If something looks great, it's all the better. But for a while now the graphical attention has been primarily thrusted on getting big technical numbers rather than finding a way to make your game look different from the other games of its genre out there at the moment. And this doesn't necessarily mean stylized extremeties like cel-shading.

Also, having a game that's special to you is something, but being deluded into thinking it's still superior to all new games of the genre just because you enjoyed it as a kid (when kids enjoy pretty much anything) is what really annoys me about nostalgia.

Who cares if you're deluded by nostalgia or not, if you still enjoy it rather than rely solely on memories then it's still great for you. Enjoyment comes first, there's no wrong or right reasons for that.

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice to see that ToS atleast made it kinda close :(

Who cares if you're deluded by nostalgia or not, if you still enjoy it rather than rely solely on memories then it's still great for you. Enjoyment comes first, there's no wrong or right reasons for that.

I get that, but when people just aren't willing to give some newer games a chance because they're so hung up on "those days" (or more specifically, insulting the opinions of those who DO like the newer games), it's really quite depressing, and they're missing out on a possibly even bigger amount of enjoyment.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Nice to see that ToS atleast made it kinda close :(

It sits in joint 132nd position with a few other games. One vote could've brought it in under 100th.

Top ten at midnight tonight guys n girls, be there.

• Thumbs Up 1