Awoo.

The SSMB 100

Patticus

I'd played Sonic CD before I knew the "hype" even existed, but I think it was only really there because of how rare it was at one point.

I did think it was great, but I never thought it lived up to what people say about it. It doesn't touch Sonic 1-3 imo.

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't think it's a bad game, don't get me wrong, there are many very good concepts employed in the game, it's just the execution of most of them I find more than a little squiffy. However, in today's world, with titles like TimeShift, Braid and Singularity demonstrating ways in which the movement of time itself can be distorted to provide compelling games, I think a new Sonic The Hedgehog CD title in a similar style to SCD (or its intro/outro) could potentially be done really well.

Just imagine Sonic in his red sneakers running super fast, you press a button and they turn green and when he gets 50 rings or goes real fast or hits one of the treadmills/lampposts scattered about he shoots forward in time (and you see the landscape changing a lot like in the beginning of Walking With Dinosaurs). Make him don Yellow sneakers and he goes bacxk in time, and make him don grey ones to freeze it.

Just a few ideas there but I think the original SCD was flawed and overly complicated and I also think there's room for a lot of development of the ideas it brought forth.

[/Tangent]

• Thumbs Up 1

The music is indeed utterly superb, I can't fault it on those grounds.

Only if you play the US version though.

(FLAMEWAR FLAMEWAR)

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been confused about the music for quite a while actually. Both European versions I've played (on PC and on GC) had the same music. some people say that the west has a different soundtrack but some others have said the European soundtrack is the same as the Japanese one.

And I honestly have no idea.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've been confused about the music for quite a while actually. Both European versions I've played (on PC and on GC) had the same music. some people say that the west has a different soundtrack but some others have said the European soundtrack is the same as the Japanese one.

And I honestly have no idea.

Japan and Europe versions of the game have the same soundtrack, US version has its own, completely different one (excluding the past level themes which are the same as JapEur ones).

Many a-flamewar has been born out of the eternal battle of the fans over which one is the better one (which is silly because it's an universal fact that the atmospheric zone songs and animation-fitting intro/outro themes of the US version are better than the generic platformer jingles and completely unsuiting random rap-pop of the JapEur version. Except for Palmtree Panic US which is one of the worst Sonic zone songs and Stardust Speedway JapEur which is quite cool).

Edited by Flint
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ah OK. Well I prefer the EU/JP one because it's the only one I've heard and because it's the one I own.

:P

I'll have to give the US soundtrack a listen sometime.

• Thumbs Up 1

Only if you play the US version though.

(FLAMEWAR FLAMEWAR)

Them's fightin' words!

I grew up with the PAL copy, so I got the Japan soundtrack, so for many many years I just assumed that was the Sonic CD music. I loved that music, I hated the US version when I got Sonic Gems. I really disliked it....

Alas, the more I listen to it, the more I like it, even the Sonic Boom intro music.

I think, at least for me, the Sonic CD soundtrack (the US one) should have been used for a totally different game. The Sonic Boom introduction is a great song and a great tune, but after growing up with the fast paced Japan version, it doesn't seem to fit.

• Thumbs Up 1

Both of the PAL versions I've owned have the Sonic Boom intro :S

EDIT: Wow, just checked YouTube and turns out all the songs I'm used to are from the US version!

So I guess I owned a US version on PC? Or maybe a PAL version with the US music? I have no idea.

From what little I've heard I do like the JP music though. The Palmtree Panic music is very party-like :P

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've only played the Sonic CD that was on Gems Collection, so I guess it's the US music. Still really liked it though

• Thumbs Up 1

Both of the PAL versions I've owned have the Sonic Boom intro :S

EDIT: Wow, just checked YouTube and turns out all the songs I'm used to are from the US version!

So I guess I owned a US version on PC? Or maybe a PAL version with the US music? I have no idea.

That's because, from what I've heard, in Europe, only the Mega CD version of Sonic CD has the Japanese soundtrack. The PC version and the Sonic Gems Collection version both have the US soundtrack.

• Thumbs Up 1

The PC version of Sonic CD had the US soundtrack in all regions, even in Japan. All versions of Sonic Gems Collection contain both soundtracks, but they automatically switch depending on your systems' regions; only Japan gets the Japanese soundtrack.

If you rip the game and re-burn it, the soundtracks can be easily switchable by renaming their files, or so I've heard.

• Thumbs Up 1

Many a-flamewar has been born out of the eternal battle of the fans over which one is the better one (which is silly because it's an universal fact that the atmospheric zone songs and animation-fitting intro/outro themes of the US version are better than the generic platformer jingles and completely unsuiting random rap-pop of the JapEur version. Except for Palmtree Panic US which is one of the worst Sonic zone songs and Stardust Speedway JapEur which is quite cool).

Haha, good one right there!

I'd say I like them equally, but the American version has a sentimental value attached, because I first played it as the PC version where all of them use the US soundtrack. Spencer Nielsen is great.

Edited by Vasco
  • Thumbs Up 1

Walking around Tallon IV as the light fades (is it all that you remain?)

I'm thinking about each Chozo that they have ever killed

I know what they will never say, I know what they will never say

Century after century they remain

The SSMB 100

30TH THRU 21ST

• 30 | 20 pts | Metroid Prime
  • 29 | 21 pts | Super Smash Bros. Melee
  • 28 | 21 pts | The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • 27 | 21 pts | Paper Mario
  • 26 | 21 pts | Super Mario Bros.
  • 25 | 22 pts | Final Fantasy VII
  • 24 | 23 pts | Pokemon (Red/Blue/Yellow/FireRed/LeafGreen)
  • 23 | 24 pts | Kingdom Hearts
  • 22 | 24 pts | Resident Evil 4
  • 21 | 25 pts | Banjo-Kazooie

ssmb3021.jpg

Tomorrow: 20-11

• Thumbs Up 1

Quite underrated...

Joking, yes? Final Fantasy VII is one of the most highly rated games you're ever likely to encounter, a lot of people played it, loved it and still play it to this day. It's the Ocarina Of Time of non-Nintendo platforms.

• Thumbs Up 1

Joking, yes? Final Fantasy VII is one of the most highly rated games you're ever likely to encounter, a lot of people played it, loved it and still play it to this day. It's the Ocarina Of Time of non-Nintendo platforms.

I mean underrated here, specifically.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't understand how anyone can call it underrated when it spawned a legion of cringeworthy yaoi fanfics, cosplayers in tacky cosplay, and people who randomly stick japanese words into their sentences. Overrated would be a more apt phrase in my opinion, but I'd better stop now before I start ranting, or I'll be up all night typing it on my phone.

• Thumbs Up 1

I really don't understand how anyone can call it underrated when it spawned a legion of cringeworthy yaoi fanfics, cosplayers in tacky cosplay, and people who randomly stick japanese words into their sentences. Overrated would be a more apt phrase in my opinion, but I'd better stop now before I start ranting, or I'll be up all night typing it on my phone.

...lol I guess it wasn't specific enough I meant in the list (:

I'm aware of its popularity outsite it. Deservedly so, IMO.

• Thumbs Up 1

I mean underrated here, specifically.

Aha, I see... well in response to that I can only say that it's neither illegal nor unfair to hold a view that is different to that of the majority. In regards to videogames and other such things one can make lists out of, there are no right or wrong choices, one man's meat is another man's poison and every game out there is going to be the best or worst thing ever to somebody. It just so happens that around here there are a few less uberfans than usual. Nothing particularly wrong or unusual there I'm sure you'll agree.

• Thumbs Up 1

Aha, I see... well in response to that I can only say that it's neither illegal nor unfair to hold a view that is different to that of the majority. In regards to videogames and other such things one can make lists out of, there are no right or wrong choices, one man's meat is another man's poison and every game out there is going to be the best or worst thing ever to somebody. It just so happens that around here there are a few less uberfans than usual. Nothing particularly wrong or unusual there I'm sure you'll agree.

Exactly. I wasn't saying it's wrong. I respect my own opinion as much as I respect the opinion of those who think its score is already too high - and I believe there are quite a few.

• Thumbs Up 1

Played all of these games! RE4 very briefly, but still, all great games (MP to a lesser extent xP)!

I voted for Kingdom Hearts and FFVII (yes I love FFVII, but it's not my favourite FF, VI and V were higher). And what's this? 1st Gen Pok

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1