Awoo.

What would you want to see differently in a season 2 of Sonic Boom?

SpongicX

Better pacing for one, like Hogfather said, episodes don't end, they just stop, abruptly at that. Writers seriously need to learn how to pace their episodes better, and no the 11 minute runtime is no excuse because there are about four other shows on CN that have the same format and do a much better job at handling it. 

Um, I'd probably give the show a bit more energy like it was said here too; everything just feels a little too down to earth, not to the point of being boring but enough for the formula to really were thin after a couple episodes. Have the characters explore different locations and meet new characters instead of just being stuck with the same backdrop in every episode. Also, there need to be better character introductions, every new character that comes is treated like they've always been there with no fanfare, it really destroys the impact.

Also, and this is just personal...better fight scenes plz; the Sonic vs. Shadow one from the last episode looked promising, so it shows you CAN have a budget to do that. 

So yea: better pacing, more lively atmosphere, and better choreography. 

• Thumbs Up 6

(Okay, gonna go super-extensive on this one, since I really do think this show does have the potential to be really good)

-More effort in areas besides writing/voice acting: While Sonic Boom does position itself as a sitcom, where writing and voice acting are the most important elements to get right, that does not excuse the poor physical timing for character animation, the practically non-existent soundtrack or the repetitive character interactions. Some of Only Fools and Horses' best moments stem from perfect comedic timing and reactions, Last of the Summer Wine proved how an incredible soundtrack could make itself much more memorable and enchanting (for lack of a better word) and Red Dwarf managed to get away with the same four characters for nearly 30 years by giving each of them enough personality; warts, unexpected traits and all; to bounce off of each other in several ways.

-A better script editor: I don't care what some folks say; 11 minutes is more than enough time to tell a compelling story with lots of humour, adventure, intrigue and all that jazz, as Adventure Time, Regular Show and Steven Universe have constantly proven. I believe the writers are capable of telling good stories that wrap up well within that time, but that they need a better editor to tell them when certain jokes are going on for too long and need to be either shortened or cut altogether in order to improve the pacing (the birthday cake gag in Eggheads could've done with that; seriously, it made that scene from Episode 24 of Evangelion feel as fast as Sonic himself).

-Actual sodding sound design: I'm not speaking specifically about the lack of soundtrack (which is also a serious problem in and of itself), but also how there's no background noise whatsoever. If there isn't any dialogue, and that can happen, all that's left is dead silence. There's no jungle ambience, seaside waves or chatting crowds to make the world feel more alive; a result that makes sense in the sterile halls of Eggman's base, but otherwise makes the show feel needlessly uncomfortable and awkward.

-Swap between adventure stories and comedic plots: Considering Boom's a French-American production, I'm surprised nobody tried to take inspiration from the plots of the Asterix comics to vary up what happens in the show. For newcomers, Asterix has two general plot outlines that swap every book or so: a story set in the main characters' village, where a new element is introduced to provoke interaction between the many villagers and are more character-driven, and a story where the main characters head off to a distant land, where they react to the many strange foreign things they encounter and deal in a little bit of satire. Boom has dealt with the former, practically to the point of overkill by never changing what happens, and would do itself some kind of favour by going on adventures outside the same four locations.

-Give Knuckles more to do: Dear writers of all things, having a one-note dumb character is an endlessly stupid thing to do, mainly because it makes them really unbearable whenever they speak and bores the viewers by never surprising them. If you want to know how to do a not-so-bright character right, go watch Ed Edd n Eddy and pay particular attention to Ed. He's not booksmart, and mostly speaks in non-sequiturs (buttertoast, anyone?), but that's not the extent to his character. He adores chickens and gravy, he has a ridiculous obsession with monster movies & comics that can lead him to confuse them with reality (he started what was ostensibly a death cult for one episode after reading about it in a comic), he's by far and away one of the strongest cartoon characters ever written, he gets on with everyone really quite well (when he's not with Eddy, at any rate) and his loyalty towards the other two Eds is very admirable. Give Knuckles that kind of depth, and I'll be happy to watch the show all day, every day.

-Make it interesting!: Let me ask y'all this - is there any reason to watch any episode of Boom more than once or twice? I'd like to know, because I can't think of anything. All there is to each episode is simply the script presented, and little else. There aren't any background jokes or elements to catch on a second-time around, there's nothing that adds to the series or its characters in any way that doesn't involve desperately grasping for straws (which I frequently did to convince myself that there was more going on than was actually the case) and simply no real hook to watching more than ten episodes. Give me an interesting story arc, even a subtle bit in the background, some backstory on the characters to make them more compelling, or anything that won't have me changing the channel and wondering what the whole point of this was (besides making money, of course).

If you haven't picked up the common link between all of these points, allow me to sum this whole thing up:

THERE'S NOT ENOUGH EFFORT PUT INTO THIS SHOW; PUT MORE INTO IT! THEN IT'LL BE THE BEST SONIC TV SHOW OUT THERE! (At least for me, at any rate)

• Thumbs Up 1

Less original characters, more game characters like Rouge and Omega. And occasionally toss in a serious episode that's 22 minutes. But that won't happen.

Edited by Myst

The storylines are paced horrifically. They end up feeling too long and cut off at the same time. Honestly, I just stopped watching Late Night Wars about halfway through because it was stretching too long, and I don't really feel like finding out what happened after Knuckles became a talk show host.

Also, the lack of music is boring as hell. This is a series known for its action, and Robot Battle Royale's fight scenes legitimately had me yawning. (Also, what was with the poodle robot destroying Tails's robot so quickly? That was a horrendous cop-out.)

Also, what the fuck is up with the villagers? Why should we care about them? They're a bunch of jerks. A lot of people said this already, but... Yeah.

Honestly? My wish was that there would be no second season. Then again, this is asking too much, as SEGA likely wants to replace our canon with this piece of shit.

Edited by ZDozer
  • Thumbs Up 1

Honestly? My wish was that there would be no second season. Then again, this is asking too much, as SEGA likely wants to replace our canon with this piece of shit.

So what you're suggesting is that Sonic Boom is going to take over the main series even though SEGA has said countless times that it won't?

I don't know about you but I can see this show getting a second season, does it have flaws, yes absolutely, but I can trust the people behind Boom to work on those flaws and make a better show for its next season if it ever gets the clear.

Echoing the sentiments of a larger, connecting plot, without becoming overly convoluted in KH fashion.

I think they're doing it about right, though. The series started referring to previous episodes with more frequency in the second half. I hope they'll step it up by allowing for a bit more characterization and exposition here and there.

Maybe it could achieve what Rise of Lyric failed to do in actually building an alternate universe we can care about.

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing's for sure while I do think the comedy is top-notch, the writers can do a lot with the characters with a adventure plot, I mean I'm saying this after watching Be Cool, Scooby Doo. BCSD is still pretty comedic but it still follows the typical Scooby Doo formula, so it's pretty good for what it is. Sonic Boom is obviously trying to distance itself from the main series and follow a more basic and humane aspect of the Sonic characters, so making mundane tasks into comedic riots (obviously talking about Mayor Knuckles here) can work if done well but I guess that charm can begin to lose it luster, I would recommend the Boom team to try a different approach for the second season, heck it might even give a proper introduction to Shadow and Metal Sonic, for those who were disappointed on how they appeared. A proper pacing would be splendid, make the villagers more rational and sympathetic, animation could be more fluid and overall just make Sonic Boom better. 

So what you're suggesting is that Sonic Boom is going to take over the main series even though SEGA has said countless times that it won't?

I don't know about you but I can see this show getting a second season, does it have flaws, yes absolutely, but I can trust the people behind Boom to work on those flaws and make a better show for its next season if it ever gets the clear.

They're surely pushing Boom with full force above the entire original continuity.

They're surely pushing Boom with full force above the entire original continuity.

Because that's not what you do with something new right? Just push it off to the side and hope nobody gives you money for it? God Sonic would have been so much more successful if Tails was only unlocked through a cheat code you got by finishing the game with every emerald in under ten minutes, why the hell didn't they do that

Edited by Classic Spooky Shaddy

That's a pretty weak reason to think Boom is going to take over the main series, as Shaddy said. If you have a brand new side series, you advertise it and showcase it as much as you can. That's business 101.

I mean, that's why people are so frustrated with CN for not advertising the Boom show, it won't do as well as it should if you don't advertise it. 

So SEGA decides to promote Boom for 2 years back-to-back, we all know that the main series ain't dead so I'd suggest wait until next year and stop being a Sticks.

• Thumbs Up 1

Being a what? You're watching that shit too much.

Again, that's all subjective and yes, I did watch all the episodes and I enjoy them. But if you didn't understand what I'm saying at the end, I'm saying is don't just say baseless assumptions and act all paranoid and stuff.

I would like to see:

- More connections to the games in terms of setting.

- More use of the Enerbeam by characters that aren't Tails.

- Lyric returning.

- Percy and Salty being better established.

- Some sort of origin for Sticks.

i'd wish Sonic's running animation was improved.. sometimes it just looked really bad.. :D haha

i would like they prepare a good opening... its not necesary a long one.. but a sticky and cool one.. with cool music please >w<

also... i want to see Cliff ! if Amy has something to do with archeology... an important conector would be just him!  :)

i'd wish Sonic's running animation was improved.. sometimes it just looked really bad.. :D haha

i would like they prepare a good opening... its not necesary a long one.. but a sticky and cool one.. with cool music please >w<

also... i want to see Cliff ! if Amy has something to do with archeology... an important conector would be just him!  :)

His running animation usually looks fine, I'm sure they'll have it fully figured out by Season 2.

A different opening is a bit unlikely due to Cartoon Network's short time limit on theme songs.

Cliff would be a good additon along with Amy's archaeological aspect, but they would need a good story reason for it as he lives across the ocean from Bygone Island.

• Thumbs Up 1

His running animation usually looks fine, I'm sure they'll have it fully figured out by Season 2.

well its acutally just me.. but sometimes  i noticed that Sonic only moved his feet like this

but its ok .. i know the most of the times looks pretty fine .. so.. sorry °//u//° my bad

What's weird to me is the blue swooshes between his legs as he runs. That's no in the first episode, but it is in every other episode and it looks bad. He doesn't generate electricity as he runs.

Edited by Classic Spooky Shaddy

I would like to see:

- More connections to the games in terms of setting.

- More use of the Enerbeam by characters that aren't Tails.

- Lyric returning.

- Percy and Salty being better established.

- Some sort of origin for Sticks.

I guess it would be nice to see more references to RoL and SC in the show but I really don't think it will be the make or break for the show personally, along with those other points.

But I do think Sticks' origin would be really cool to see, it would be awesome that it goes in the same way as Fire in a Crowded Workshop, all the characters give thier version of the story but Sticks tells the real truth and it's actually very heart-warming and sweet.

No show is perfect, that's for sure. And regardless of whether you like the show or not there is some flaws you may notice. I don't think my thoughts on the matter are as great as others but eh I may as well offer what I think. This comes from all my experience watching the show, reporting on it, and following it since the show was first teased in October 2013 and formally revealed in February 2014.

1. The mean-spirited behavior isn't necessary - I really hate the villagers. Especially when they act like this. "Just a Guy" and "That Wasn't Me, It Was The One-Armed Hedgehog" were episodes that stood out to me the most where they just behaved like insensitive jerks. Especially the former. That was absolutely brutal and I sympathized with Sonic a lot in that episode. Sadly they're not the only ones to pull this stunt. Sonic and Amy have both had moments of this. Especially Amy. Whenever she becomes a jerk it shows. At least with Sonic it's not as bad. He's not in your face with that behavior as Amy is. That said I understand that Sonic has an ego. But he still gives credit where credit is due even in the Boom universe. If Tails or Knuckles helped him save the day he shouldn't turn to the villagers and brag about how he did everything. He shouldn't be getting selfish in a race for survival like in "Into The Wilderness" and should've helped the girls out of the pit they were in. It's not all bad though. I mean the joking around they did towards Tails at the beginning of "Robot Battle Royale" came off mean-spirited to some but that wasn't serious like in other cases. And to be honest the jerkish nature of the heroes is actually kind of minimal compared to the villagers. But it's certainly not something that can be ignored either.

2. Some characters need more lines. - For a universe that has basically turned Sticks into the "mascot" of Boom by SEGA and others you really don't hear much of her. Same with Tails. Oh god Tails is even worse with this. They will go through many episodes having said only one line. Don't get me wrong. I love the interaction that has happened and I am glad the writers don't force characters into plots they don't belong or wouldn't contribute much in. But I'm sure Tails and Sticks could do more than just say one line in every episode. And considering they have made Sticks and Tails more than just paranoid and nerdy, respectfully, there's plenty to work with. This is definitely the main problem the show quality has, in my opinion. However I'm hoping that season two will fix that now that there's less of a need to set the scene.

3. Establish Shadow, Metal Sonic, Percy, and Salty more - All of these characters showed up late and it shows. That said I'm hoping the next season will establish these characters more than just being in the background or making sudden random appearances in an episode. Percy less so than the others considering "Fire in a Crowded Workshop" was basically a Percy episode and it established her in the universe well. I think that now that everything else is out of the way these characters can now get more time in the spotlight.

4. Some CGI animation is awkward - A very nitpicky one but eh. There have been times where liquids on the show are weird or you might see a clipping occur with a limb. They seem to be happening more often lately but like I said: eh. It's very minor and only those with the sharpest of eyes will notice.

There's two aspects of this show that needs to be explored. Not just the show quality itself but its treatment. That's a story on its own.

5. One episode a week doesn't work - Seriously. I do not like waking up at 7 in the morning to catch 11 minutes of new episode material that will either be online hours later or likely spoiled from it airing in a region beforehand. There's no excuse for this. I don't understand the need by television channels to stretch out a show like this for so long. It doesn't work. And as I said it's even worse considering how early it is. You have a 30 minute timeslot for a show, not a 15 minute one, Cartoon Network.

6. A later time slot - God this is needed. The 7:00am time slot is brutal. Kids tend to sleep in at that time now and 20-somethings do too. Noon was actually really good for the show when it had that time slot for premieres in July. This is part of the reason I'm really shocked at how well the show has done with ratings.

7. Promotion. PLEASE! - No question the biggest problem I have with Cartoon Network on this show and honestly the show as a whole. No ifs, ands, or buts about it this is the reason why the show gets roughly half the ratings it used to. Changing the time slot back to 7am like Cartoon Network did in July/August is one thing. But to not say anything about this? No commercials, promos, bumpers, nothing? Inexcusable. The ratings shifted significantly once this happened. It has gotten more promotion on Boomerang USA (it recently began airing episodes there) in just this very week than in the past 3 months on Cartoon Network combined. Absolutely pitiful. SEGA's just as guilty about this too. You don't really hear anything about this show anymore on social media, their blog, anywhere. Why was there not a press release about the show being renewed for a second season? That's huge! There has been nothing on the time slots, nothing on the episodes, it's like neither SEGA or Cartoon Network care. I hope this gets fixed in season two. ASAP.

8. Premiere consistency - I'm going to make this clear: I understand the show was made in France. I get it. But that should mean absolutely nothing. No region should be getting special treatment. Certain regions shouldn't be shuffling the episode order compared to others. Certain regions shouldn't be airing scenes deleted in other regions. Why are countries like the USA and especially France (god France in particular has been brutal with this) getting such a high treatment of episodes while others such as the UK, Germany, and more barely aired any episodes if at all? I shouldn't be watching today's "Fuzzy Puppy Buddies" episode knowing what happens in it along with the rest of season one's episodes! We shouldn't know what happens in episode 52 yet. There's no reason for this now. Almost 100 territories are airing Boom. So for season two, can we please get episodes premiering more consistently worldwide? It has been an absolute mess. I hate the spoilers.

9. Less hiatuses - Another problem. Cartoon Network has a love for hiatuses. The winter hiatus was one thing. That was the holiday season. The spring hiatus was another story. That was where I felt red flags went up in my mind and I felt Cartoon Network were milking this show in the worst ways possible. September to roughly May/June. Episodes each week. Why is that a problem? The season would've been done in the US roughly two months ago if the hiatuses never happened. And of course they weren't announced because of Cartoon Network's lack of promotion so no one knew a hiatus began until it began. In fact Cartoon Network has been so careless with this show that "Chez Amy" and "Blue With Envy" are still listed in episode guides and TV listings as having originally premiered in May when, in fact, that was when the spring hiatus began! They really premiered in July! I'm all for a break but this is not how you do it. Looking at this from a business standpoint, the most important perspective, this does. Not. Work.

10. Announce things - Sort of like #7 since this is pretty much promoting the show just as much but it deserves some more elaboration. This is another key issue. When the only way you find out about the renewal of a show for season two, very significant news, is on a seemingly obscure French website that gets picked up by a Sonic fan site you've done something wrong. Why isn't SEGA or Cartoon Network announcing these things? Why haven't the hiatuses been announced? Or the change of timeslots? Or the July daily premieres? I could go on. We would not know anything we currently know about Sonic Boom were it not for the community. They have been the real source of info for this show and that's saying a lot. From the commentaries to the articles, from tweets to interviews with the writers this is bar none the thing that stood out to me the most. If you don't seem excited to announce something for your project why are you even doing the project in the first place?

Well that was more typing than I expected. lol

Despite all these issues season two looks to be even more promising than season one. Why? Because it seems things are established now. The characters are there, the personalities are there, places are there, the pieces have been put into place. Now the writers have pretty much everything they want to work with and then some. It's time to get things truly underway. The fun really begins. It has really showed in the latter half of season one just how much merely establishing the universe changes things. The show has hit its stride and now, with only establishing a few more characters remaining, it has plenty of episodes to work with. I'm already looking forward to season two. But still...it'll be nice to take a break from Boom commentaries after season one finishes next month. lol

Edited by SSF1991
  • Thumbs Up 3

But I do think Sticks' origin would be really cool to see, it would be awesome that it goes in the same way as Fire in a Crowded Workshop, all the characters give thier version of the story but Sticks tells the real truth and it's actually very heart-warming and sweet.

For some reason I always imagined that Sticks was a huge deal, like royalty because her mind contained the entire multiverse of the whole franchise, and that the reset of Sonic 06 and Generations as well as the Genesis wave fucked her up and broke her brain and made her run away and that's why she's the way she is now.

actually thinking now, what would really be something is if they had this be a 22-minute episode, chose from a bunch of fan-submitted origins, had the story-telling take place over multiple nights, have her change it each time, and then tell the real story of what happened by Eggman or Tails scanning her brain.

No show is perfect, that's for sure. And regardless of whether you like the show or not there is some flaws you may notice. I don't think my thoughts on the matter are as great as others but eh I may as well offer what I think.

1. The mean-spirited behavior isn't necessary - I really hate the villagers. Especially when they act like this. "Just a Guy" and "That Wasn't Me, It Was The One-Armed Hedgehog" were episodes that stood out to me the most where they just behaved like insensitive jerks. Especially the former. That was absolutely brutal and I sympathized with Sonic a lot in that episode. Sadly they're not the only ones to pull this stunt. Sonic and Amy have both had moments of this. Especially Amy. Whenever she becomes a jerk it shows. At least with Sonic it's not as bad. He's not in your face with that behavior as Amy is. That said I understand that Sonic has an ego. But he still gives credit where credit is due even in the Boom universe. If Tails or Knuckles helped him save the day he shouldn't turn to the villagers and brag about how he did everything. He shouldn't be getting selfish in a race for survival like in "Into The Wilderness" and should've helped the girls out of the pit they were in. It's not all bad though. I mean the joking around they did towards Tails at the beginning of "Robot Battle Royale" came off mean-spirited to some but that wasn't serious like in other cases. And to be honest the jerkish nature of the heroes is actually kind of minimal compared to the villagers. But it's certainly not something that can be ignored either.

2. Some characters need more lines. - For a universe that has basically turned Sticks into the "mascot" of Boom by SEGA and others you really don't hear much of her. Same with Tails. Oh god Tails is even worse with this. They will go through many episodes having said only one line. Don't get me wrong. I love the interaction that has happened and I am glad the writers don't force characters into plots they don't belong or wouldn't contribute much in. But I'm sure Tails and Sticks could do more than just say one line in every episode. And considering they have made Sticks and Tails more than just paranoid and nerdy, respectfully, there's plenty to work with. This is definitely the main problem the show has, in my opinion. However I'm hoping that season two will fix that now that there's less of a need to set the scene.

3. Establish Shadow, Metal Sonic, Percy, and Salty More - All of these characters showed up late and it shows. That said I'm hoping the next season will establish these characters more than just being in the background or making sudden random appearances in an episode. Percy less so than the others considering "Fire in a Crowded Workshop" was basically a Percy episode and it established her in the universe well. I think that now that everything else is out of the way these characters can now get more time in the spotlight.

Season two looks to be even more promising than season one. Why? Because it seems things are established now. The characters are there, the personalities are there, places are there, the pieces have been put into place. Now the writers have pretty much everything they want to work with and then some. It's time to get things truly underway. The fun really begins. It has really showed in the latter half of season one just how much merely establishing the universe changes things. The show has hit its stride and now, with only establishing a few more characters remaining, it has plenty of episodes to work with. I'm already looking forward to season two. But still...it'll be nice to take a break from Boom commentaries after season one finishes next month. lol

I personally feel most of the villagers' arrogance is mostly played for laughs and is mostly satire since in Just as Guy, it's quite obvious the episode was social commentary on how people can take the most simple of words to be the most offensive things but I guess Hahnton ( Yes, I'm calling them that now, we have Pontaff already so screw it) just didn't wrote it as well as they could, I guess Just a Guy would've benefited a 22 minute episode.  Though you got me with It's Not Me, It's the One-Armed Hedgehog though. I didn't felt any sort of satire on the villagers' anger though I guess some parts like Old Lady Wolf actively wanting to kill Sonic with poisoned cookies (wow, a Sonic cartoon doing dark humor; color me impressed!)

As for Sonic and Amy, again I don't take too offensively since it's obviously played for laughs like in Bro Down Showdown, Amy being nominated for the Most Selfless Person and being pretty inconsiderate, I found pretty humorous but I guess if you overdo it a bit, it's going to irk some people. As for Sonic, he was always kind of arrogant, like he does care for his friends but as we see many of Sonic's amazingly humorous expressions, he can be fed up real quick and can be pretty blunt when he's annoyed, so I feel it's kind of in-character for Sonic to act like the way he did. But I guess to balance the meanspiritedness show the team being actual friends, caring for each other and stuff. So I guess it's another issue of balance/contrast.

But yeah, I totally agree with Sticks and Tails needing more dialogue to work with, can't disagree with you there Donnie. XD

While I do agree that Perci, Metal and Shadow should have more appearances in the second season but I don't see any strong reason why to put Salty at the same level as those 3 personally, I guess it could be a nice idea to have Salty and Pepper have a sibling feud and Sonic and friends resolving it (it was said that Pepper is going to be in the show too, I think?) But as for Perci, yeah she should be a more prominent character in the show but of course, only when she can add to the episode. Same goes for Metal and Shadow, I can definitely see the writers have lots of fun writing those two.

And silly Donnie, even though you might be done with the Boom Commentaries (for now), you will still have to get ass whopped in the Opinion Zone (which I might appear in a future segment, so watch out Donnie!)

That feeling when you make a post, go back to edit it, and end up with a post twice as long as it was before. lol

Anyway yeah, season two will be interesting.

• Thumbs Up 1

That feeling when you make a post, go back to edit it, and end up with a post twice as long as it was before. lol

Anyway yeah, season two will be interesting.

Well damn Donnie, that sure was a mouthful to reid?

I know, bad pun, sorry.

But with those added posts, I full agree with you. This show could've had much more viewings if SEGA and Cartoon Network actively advertise it, like making the fans do the work for them is a terrible way to market the show. Like I really doubt it would take much time to do so, heck Aaron could've made a tweet saying "HEY GUYS! SONIC BOOM SEASON 2 IS A THING!" or something like that but nope, nada.

But yeah, I've already ranted this before and I'm not gonna do a essay on it like you did but I agree with ya.

No show is perfect, that's for sure.

Oh really ? Then what about Steven Universe ? Isn't it the Citizen Kane of cartoons ?