Awoo.

The Nintendo Switch Thread

Brad

3 hours ago, Athena Cykes said:

Do you guys expect Breath of the Wild to crack that top 10?

With the Wii U version of Breath of the Wild, I'm not sure now. On one hand the game got a lot of preorders through out the years and could just squeeze through if people still claim them however on the other hand with people moving to the Switch especially the hardcore (and much of the target market), it might end up being a game with a low print run especially for PAL regions and be similar to the last few retail Wii U games e.g. FAST Racing Neo, Steamworld Collection, Paper Mario Color Splash. Hey, it might be like Twilight Princess on the Gamecube and ended up being a collectable.

Switch version getting about a million or more? It's possible that it might end up being in the Top 10.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nintendo is now officially partnering with a Smash tournament, that being Genesis 4

They've been supporting from the shadows, the fact they can now officially do it should lead to some interesting things.

Note they did spponsor it last year, they just decided to keep it quiet

should be interesting this year

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

Nintendo is now officially partnering with a Smash tournament, that being Genesis 4

They've been supporting from the shadows, the fact they can now officially do it should lead to some interesting things

U7tARIu.png

This isn't really anything new.

Ok then, how about this. Nintendo hasn't been afraid to stretch out their Swith game announcements. what would be a better place to announce any smash port (whether it be 4 or Melee HD or whatever) than at a core event, and then it bleeds over into advertising when the time comes. because these guys are the partial targets of said ports

Just thought I'd make things more clear regarding the console's online and the app. What's happening is that the Switch app on the Smartphones are for voice chat and lobbies, NOT matchmaking with random people at the very least. The app doesn't come out until Summer, yet we have Super Bomberman at launch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in April, both supporting online play without the app being out yet. The lobby system would also only require one person with it as you just invite friends. Now, it might be on the system itself as well and Reggie's just being stupid as usual, we won't know until launch with Bomberman. Is there any excuse or defense for putting lobbies and voice chat on an app instead of the system? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no, but people are getting confused about incomplete statements (rightfully so given who's saying it) of things that are on the official site itself.

• Thumbs Up 4

35 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

Just thought I'd make things more clear regarding the console's online and the app. What's happening is that the Switch app on the Smartphones are for voice chat and lobbies, NOT matchmaking with random people at the very least. The app doesn't come out until Summer, yet we have Super Bomberman at launch and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe in April, both supporting online play without the app being out yet. The lobby system would also only require one person with it as you just invite friends. Now, it might be on the system itself as well and Reggie's just being stupid as usual, we won't know until launch with Bomberman. Is there any excuse or defense for putting lobbies and voice chat on an app instead of the system? Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell no, but people are getting confused about incomplete statements (rightfully so given who's saying it) of things that are on the official site itself.

That Direct needs to come sooner rather than later. All of this confusion needs to be cleared up, once and for all.

5 minutes ago, Zippo said:

That Direct needs to come sooner rather than later. All of this confusion needs to be cleared up, once and for all.

I mean, to be fair, a lot of info on everything is on the official website. The thing about the NES and SNES games being a one month thing was on there as well.

18 minutes ago, PSI Wind said:

I mean, to be fair, a lot of info on everything is on the official website. The thing about the NES and SNES games being a one month thing was on there as well.

I think for the sake of the idiots who lack proper reading comprehension (Neogaf, Reddit, Youtube, etc.) A detailed, concise video completely breaking down the online system would help immensely with the misinformation and confusion going around.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-answers-and-avoids-our-switch-questions-1791402953?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Twitter&utm_source=Kotaku_Twitter&utm_medium=Socialflow

More news. Switch cards are read only.

Cave Story and 1001 Spikes are also confirmed for Switch.

Also, another look at the UI. Looks like you can also change user. Finally great to see Nintendo getting with the times when it comes to this thing.

C2jUJwDUAAAWAuw (1).jpg

"The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)"

A full transcript of the interview

http://gonintendo.com/stories/272313-nintendo-answers-random-switch-questions-mii-maker-included-ca#comments

Nintendo answers random Switch questions - Mii Maker included, capture button, streaming services & more

19 January, 2017 by rawmeatcowboy | Comments: 6

c6axctndnplsd81a6ici.jpg

The following responses come from Nintendo...

Backwards compatibility and VC on Switch:

The Nintendo Switch system is not backward compatible with games designed for other systems, and is not currently compatible with controllers designed for other systems. Support for certain controllers may be considered for a future update. We have nothing to announce regarding Virtual Console or other types of digital purchases at this time.

How if at all does the Switch connect to Wii U and 3DS owners’ existing accounts?

We have nothing to announce at this time.

Will the Switch be compatible with existing Virtual Console purchases?

Will the Switch have its own library of Virtual Console games that starts from scratch, or will it bring over the Virtual Console library from 3DS and Wii U?

How will SNES online functionality work? Which games will it support?

For those concerned about the 32GB of storage, how will that work for playing downloadable games? How will it work for DLC and patches?

The Nintendo Switch system has 32GB of internal NAND memory, a portion of which is reserved for use by the system. The system’s internal memory can be easily expanded as needed using microSDXC cards.

The SDXC standard supports up to 2TB of storage. (Note that 2TB cards are not yet on the market, but Nintendo Switch will support them when they are.) External USB hard drives are not supported at launch, but we are researching the possibility of supporting them in the future.

If no microSDXC card is used, everything is stored in internal NAND memory. If a microSDXC card is used, game save data is stored in internal NAND memory while data that can be redownloaded, such as digital games, game updates, and DLC, is stored on the microSDXC card. Nintendo Switch game cards are non-writable; game save data is stored in internal NAND memory.

Is there a trophy or achievements system?

On Switch game bundles

There are no games being bundled with Nintendo Switch

Every launch is different, and with each one we try to make the best decision for the consumer, marketplace and our company. We believe the hardware configuration at the price point we’ve chosen is a great consumer value. The consumer will have their choice of great software for the system..

How does the Share button work? Does it allow you to capture video as well as screenshots? Will it allow you to stream on Twitch or YouTube?

The Capture Button is located on the Joy-Con (L) controller and the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller, and lets users grab screenshots from their games. They can then view, edit (add text of various sizes, colors and positions) and post them to social media. The original unedited screenshot is also saved. We are planning to add the ability to record video in the future.

Switch won’t have Miiverse - will there be Miis? Or any other equivalent?

While Miiverse will continue to be supported on the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems, our approach with the Nintendo Switch system is to make greater use of other established, broadly used social platforms. For example, captured gameplay screenshots can be shared on popular social networks, and social features such as voice chat are possible with smart devices through our app.

There is a Mii Maker on Nintendo Switch. The software to create Mii characters is now located in System Settings, and no longer resides on the HOME menu as a standalone application. You can also create a Mii character from the Profile screen. Making Mii characters is similar to the method used on past systems.

Mii characters can be used to represent a user profile, but are not required. Users also have the option to choose a profile picture from an included library of Nintendo character images. Mii characters can still be used in games if developers choose to include them.

You can send/receive Mii characters through local wireless communication between Nintendo Switch systems, or use an amiibo figure to transfer Mii Characters from Wii U and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Mii characters on the Nintendo Switch system are similar to past iterations, but they have some different options. More facial components and colors for hair and skin have been added, while the following attributes have been removed: creator’s name, favorites, birthday, copying, and “public.”

Will Switch support Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, HBO Go, or any other streaming services?

All of our efforts have gone toward making the Nintendo Switch system an amazing dedicated video game platform, so it will not support any video-streaming services at launch. However, support for video-streaming services is being considered for a future update.

Will online stores be region-free or just cartridges?

The Nintendo Switch system is not region locked, but we recommend that players buy games within their region to ensure full service and support. The user will access the Nintendo eShop that corresponds to the country identified in their Nintendo Account. (Up to eight user accounts can be created on a single Nintendo Switch system.)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Mando-Whirl-Wind said:

We are planning to add the ability to record video in the future.

godot-damage.gif

Follow through with that, and you'll have a good reason for me to get this system, Ninty.

• Thumbs Up 1

So Miis are coming back after all, and with more features? Sign me the HECK up boy I tell you what

Recording videos will be cool too!

13 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Joranvexeon said:

godot-damage.gif

Follow through with that, and you'll have a good reason for me to get this system, Ninty.

I wonder if this would make it easier to upload Nintendo game footage onto youtube since I've heard ninty especially are pretty hard on footage from their games.

• Thumbs Up 2

They are not hard on footage you just have to accept the terms of uploading basically letting them make money with ads

Yeah, the issue isn't putting up videos of gameplay. If you're not a partner, NCL doesn't want you monetizing the videos, while NoA wants to put ads in your videos.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think the fact there's no Miiverse yet and that they have a share buttons means they might want people to be uploading footage and screenshots to existing social media. I think they want to gather positive word of mouth with the Switch and how cool it and it's games are, from what their strategy has been so far.

When it comes to monetization.... I have no real opinion

• Thumbs Up 4

the fact that the first like....4 questions had the response of "We have nothing to announce at this time," just killed the system more for me honestly....

This thing is lagging behind on features that is standard for the Ps4/Xbone/Vita. I honestly just want this damn thing because I love Bomberman with the PASSION and some of the games look fun for the wifey and I to try together.

Where's our damn Smash for Switch too....come on Nintendo....stop messing with my heart

• Thumbs Up 1

Probably at some other event like G4. I mean, they actually talked about FE Warriors outside of the presentation rather than during it, which was pretty dumb.

It's odd to see Nintendo throwing Miiverse under the bus; I thought it was fairly popular.  Maybe they saw it as redundant, or didn't want the effort of moderating it any longer?

7 hours ago, Zippo said:

Cave Story and 1001 Spikes are also confirmed for Switch.

Also, another look at the UI. Looks like you can also change user. Finally great to see Nintendo getting with the times when it comes to this thing.

C2jUJwDUAAAWAuw (1).jpg

The cut-off thumbnail at the right has also been identified as Hydra Castle Labyrinth, a presently unannounced port of a freeware side-scrolling Zelda-Metroidvania sort of thing.  I have fond memories of playing the game, getting lost right off the bat, and acquiring an optional game-breaking tool before what was meant to be the very first item in the game, and I'm still not sure if that was just poor game design or me being blind.

4 hours ago, LunarEdge said:

the fact that the first like....4 questions had the response of "We have nothing to announce at this time," just killed the system more for me honestly....

This thing is lagging behind on features that is standard for the Ps4/Xbone/Vita. I honestly just want this damn thing because I love Bomberman with the PASSION and some of the games look fun for the wifey and I to try together.

Where's our damn Smash for Switch too....come on Nintendo....stop messing with my heart

Smash is definitely coming, its just something they wanted to save for later. Even ignoring the rumors, just with known information we know that Namco were hiring for "Smash 6" (internally Smash 3DS/Wii U are "Smash 4/5" respectively), the Corrin/Bayoneta/Cloud amiibo were confirmed and Bayoneta herself was reconfirmed a few months ago (they're definitely waiting for Smash Switch to release), and a Smash port with new content is a great early title for the Switch. It is a little surprising it hasn't been announced yet, but odds are very good its coming even without all the rumors saying its coming.

3 hours ago, FFWF said:

It's odd to see Nintendo throwing Miiverse under the bus; I thought it was fairly popular.  Maybe they saw it as redundant, or didn't want the effort of moderating it any longer?

The cut-off thumbnail at the right has also been identified as Hydra Castle Labyrinth, a presently unannounced port of a freeware side-scrolling Zelda-Metroidvania sort of thing.  I have fond memories of playing the game, getting lost right off the bat, and acquiring an optional game-breaking tool before what was meant to be the very first item in the game, and I'm still not sure if that was just poor game design or me being blind.

Miiverse is being abandoned because far more people use existing social media sites anyway. Makes more sense that way.

I think they may tie Miitomo into this as well. If you use the internal Mii Maker, you can more options than before, but you can also add more clothing options if you play Mitomo. (Or they just add Miitomo's clothing options onto the Switch Mii Maker or something. Or the Switch Mii Maker IS Miitomo lol.)

5 hours ago, LunarEdge said:

1 hour ago, JaidynReiman said:

Smash is definitely coming, its just something they wanted to save for later. Even ignoring the rumors, just with known information we know that Namco were hiring for "Smash 6" (internally Smash 3DS/Wii U are "Smash 4/5" respectively), the Corrin/Bayoneta/Cloud amiibo were confirmed and Bayoneta herself was reconfirmed a few months ago (they're definitely waiting for Smash Switch to release), and a Smash port with new content is a great early title for the Switch. It is a little surprising it hasn't been announced yet, but odds are very good its coming even without all the rumors saying its coming.

Yeab, I think it's pretty obvious at this point that they're saving Smash for E3. It's the big fan favorite, the crowd pleaser. While I think it would have been smarter to announce it here, I understand why they didn't. People would be endlessly complaining about them having "nothing new" at E3 if they  blew their load at the presentation. I do think reception of the event overall would have been much better if they shown it though.