Awoo.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Klinsy

Okay, to be honest, I feel I may have been a bit too into the boat of just wanting a Paper Mario, not just a Mario and Luigi with a crossover at first.

However, I found this lovely reel of the demo from E3...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AE2xhfH907k

And I'll say, I'm sold. Especially that Paper Bowser is talking again, and it's perfect~

My only real disappointment from this comes from how Luigi was treated in Dream Team. I don't know. I feel like that would've been a nice end to this series.

I mean it's pretty typical with Luigi getting shat on all throughout. Business as usually.

As with the previous games, our main baddy Bowser barely knows who he is and only refers to him as "Green 'Stache", (I never played PiT. How does he treat Luigi there?) Starlow continues to treat him like dirt. (Seriously. Fuck Starlow sometimes.), and people barely even know his name.

But then you go into his dreams and get a small dose of his psyche. How even after the verbal abuse from Starlow and constant living in his brother's shadow, he still loves his big bro and promises to always help him.

Even though he's still scared, he helps Mario throughout the game (a fine change from Superstar Saga's intro), but then the Giant Boswser fight and he has the confident badass grin as he turns giant himself. And when the day is saved, Bowser finally remembers Luigi's name!

It almost felt like a nice end to the series. I just hope Bowser remembers his existence. Don't go back.

...Did I mention I really love Luigi?

• Thumbs Up 2

To be fair, that was the year of Luigi so of course he was getting more spotlight than normal.

I wonder how Bowser is going to react when he finds out Paper!Bowser has a crush on Peach and that's why he kidnaps her.

That intro scene was all kinds of glorious. As expected, the scene where Bowser and Paper Bowser interact had me laughing out loud. What a couple o' royal hams.

I liked it because when a bro fell off a ledge, you could switch to them and bring them back up instead of having to make Mario go all the way down and start the platforming segment over again. +_+

Yeah...you couldn't do that either.

So, random thought and I know it's way too early to say yet but... anyone think there'll be amiibo support for this game?

We've already seen with Mr Game & Watch that Nintendo are perfectly capable of making 2D amiibo figures - anyone else think we might even see a Paper Mario amiibo?

#PaperMario4Smash

Paper Mario is the one Amiibo where they would be totally justified in releasing it in card form only.

I think the best you'll see for Paper Mario Amiibo are cards based on the Paper Mario series, so not an actual Amiibo. Maybe they can have a stand to put the cards in, though, lol.

So, it's definitely not going to happen, but wouldn't it be cool if you were able to go to places visited in previous games? Or cameos of characters like Stuffwell in towns and stuff.

i just want dimentio back *sobs*

I'm hoping that at some point our heroes go to the Paper Mario world. Would be a cool mid-game twist, and I'd love it if, while in that world, the battle system becomes more Paper Mario-y in appearance / mechanics (for example, the battles would take place in a stage ala TTYD, that sort of thing).

• Thumbs Up 2

Is anyone else worried about the lack of Kammy Koopa? :( Or the fact that the paper enemies, like Koopas, don't have their rockin' shades? I don't think Kammy even appeared in SPM...

I'm hoping that at some point our heroes go to the Paper Mario world. Would be a cool mid-game twist, and I'd love it if, while in that world, the battle system becomes more Paper Mario-y in appearance / mechanics (for example, the battles would take place in a stage ala TTYD, that sort of thing).

Can this please happen? I would so love it if this happens.

Okay, to be honest, I feel I may have been a bit too into the boat of just wanting a Paper Mario, not just a Mario and Luigi with a crossover at first.

However, I found this lovely reel of the demo from E3...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/AE2xhfH907k

And I'll say, I'm sold. Especially that Paper Bowser is talking again, and it's perfect~

*watches intro video*

Now that has got me excited! :D

There's not an awful lot there, but what there is absolutely screams of the typical Mario & Luigi and Paper Mario charm. The wit and comedy is there in spades and just from these scenes alone I am very much confident that the rest of the game's writing will be up to par.

And Paper Bowser... he speaks! He has dialogue! Oh frabjous day, callooh callay! No more of that Sticker Star nonsense, hoorah!

• Thumbs Up 5

I am kind of hoping that older Paper Mario exclusive characters get to have a chance at a cameo in this game, like how Dream Team brought back Popple from Superstar Saga.

• Thumbs Up 2

New quest from the E3 demo, don't think we've seen this one anywhere else yet... it's Shy Guy Stealth!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rmvUtAjYIM

I must say, with all the paper visuals blended into the environment, I think this game is really going to pop with the 3D slider turned up. One benefit of it being on the 3DS rather than the Wii U, at least!

A little late to this, but I was very surprised when this came up in Nintendo's Digital Event. It's cool to see crossovers like this. Do we consider this a crossover despite being the same IP?

Anyway, I don't know if I'll be getting this game though. There are other things draining my wallet at the moment but maybe one day...

Oh my days, Paper Bowser SPEAKS! 8D This is great!

• Thumbs Up 1

really hope that this quest structure is confined to the demo, or at the very least does not dominate the game's structure. That'd be disappointing, though not a dealbreaker, to me.

• Thumbs Up 2

Oh my days, Bowser SPEAKS! 8D This is great!

I really hope this happens halfway or near the end of the game. Would be a pretty big surprise if we're suddenly thrust into the paper world for a mission or boss battle.

Looking at the stealth fly guy video Doctor MK posted alot of the environment look like paper like the bridge. So either than quest takes place in the paper world or the paper has blended with the real world

really hope that this quest structure is confined to the demo, or at the very least does not dominate the game's structure. That'd be disappointing, though not a dealbreaker, to me.

I wouldn't worry about it, the dream team demo was partially like this too so i'm guessing that these are just parts of the game cut into parts for the sake of the demo (or missions that you get from random NPC's since the shy guy quest kind of seems like one).

• Thumbs Up 1

• Thumbs Up 2

LTTP, and from what I read in this thread I'll be the one guy.

As one user joked, the game footage to me looked like a Mario & Luigi game featuring Paper Mario from the Paper Mario series. I'm not keen on the overworld gameplay, having 3 party members delegated to 2 Marios and 1 Luigi. Having each character mapped to a different jump button looks awkward to me, and especially during battle. It's nice that Paper Mario has returned to the traditional turn based battle system but the way it's implemented here looks very flashy and very drawn out for my tastes. There's seems to be a focus in adding minigames during battle, especially during bosses or certain sequences like the giant Paper Mario tank section.

I dunno, I'm not really feeling this game. I'll be cautiously watching this game, but I really just want a TTYD 2 already.

As one user joked, the game footage to me looked like a Mario & Luigi game featuring Paper Mario from the Paper Mario series.

That's exactly what this is.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Having each character mapped to a different jump button looks awkward to me, and especially during battle.

For what it's worth, all three characters can jump at the same time with the X button (and they seem to do the little flutter hover thing ala Yoshi or Luigi in SMB2, meaning there's enough time for all three to get over an obstacle), at least in the overworld. Not sure if this applies to battles too.

For what it's worth, all three characters can jump at the same time with the X button (and they seem to do the little flutter hover thing ala Yoshi or Luigi in SMB2, meaning there's enough time for all three to get over an obstacle), at least in the overworld. Not sure if this applies to battles too.

Pretty sure it won't apply to battles - as each character takes their turn separately anyway, there's no need for an "everyone at once!" button, you just have to use their respective button to input choices for them and pull off action commands, etc.

I agree that in an ideal world I too would much prefer a successor to The Thousand-Year Door, but if this is the best we're going to get for the time being then I think we could do an awful lot worse.