Awoo.

Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam

Klinsy

I'm up to this dungeon in the tropics. Surprised at the difficulty of the Pokey boss actually, generally these games are super easy for me (barring SS starting at Joke's End). I didn't game over at least!

I'm trying really hard to enjoy this game as much as the rest of you, but eh...

At Doop Doop Dunes. Feels like the game thus far has been little more than Toad fetchquests, which I find really doesn't bode well for the rest of the game if we're just getting started with them. Not much in the way of story or fun characters, either.

Glad everyone else seems to be enjoying it, though. Maybe I will when I get farther along.

10 minutes ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

At Doop Doop Dunes. Feels like the game thus far has been little more than Toad fetchquests, which I find really doesn't bode well for the rest of the game if we're just getting started with them. Not much in the way of story or fun characters, either.

Glad everyone else seems to be enjoying it, though. Maybe I will when I get farther along.

They start to ease up on them a little later on (and start getting a little more varied too).

1 hour ago, PC the Hedgehog said:

I wasn't particular enjoying it either at that point, it felt like the game was dragging. The upturn for me started with Twinsy Tropics after the Toad quests there. 

Yeah, the toad fetch quests start to lighten up. They still show up later, but I didn't find them to be as annoying. Well... save for the last few missions, but as a whole the missions didn't take up a whole lot of time for me. If anything, it was the Papercraft missions that tended to bore me the most.

Oh right.. So I beat Paper Jam a couple days ago. It was a good game. That's.. honestly all I can say, haha. The gameplay is solid, the boss fights are intense and fun, but the game definitely plays it safe with everything else, and just didn't woo me over with its level design or OST (save for the Themesong and Mount Brr, but that's kinda it). Overall the game's inoffensive, but nothing super special, and definitely not favorite installment in the series. 

But am I glad I played it? heck yes. And the content it did have was pretty great at times. It might've lacked wacky original characters, but we got to see characters like Toadette, Bowser Jr and the Koopalings have some GREAT moments. I still wish they diversified their NPC cast beyond just y'now, toads, but even the toads weren't all that awful and had some cute dialogue.

So yeah... as a one-off crossover, I think this game does well enough. But I do hope the next potential M&L goes back to its usual zany self again.

• Thumbs Up 1

48 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

I wasn't particular enjoying it either at that point, it felt like the game was dragging. The upturn for me started with Twinsy Tropics after the Toad quests there. 

Yeah, the game's excitement level kind of ratchets up toward the end of Doop Doop Dunes. One thing is for sure, get ready for a pretty hard boss fight.

Well I've been playing Paper Jam and I agree that the Paper Toad quests are very tedious and can be very groan inducing. As for my thoughts on the Papercraft battles, personally I tend to find them to be meh, they're not bad but they're not really all the exciting either, all it is dash and jump, dash and jump, dash and jump, rinse and repeat. At least the Giant battles were more engaging.

• Thumbs Up 2

The papercraft battles never quite clicked for me.  The only one that felt at all natural was the, which was it... the, no spoilers, fourth one, but that one had much less of an emphasis on the actual combat aspect, so.  I think they were a great idea, in concept, but the execution needed some work.

I think just about everyone agrees that the Paper Toad quests get to be a bit much, though, and at the risk of implicit spoilers, it is compulsory for the plot that you do all of them.  (But you can ignore Hard Mode.)

I experienced my first glitch if you want to call it that. I was in Doop Doop Dunes Grotto and I dodged a paper spiny doing a spin attack then it hit the corner and remained stuck in an invisible wall in it's shell spinning. It didn't stop till I left that side then came back to it.

I sometimes question the graphics direction in that at some points the land looks barren and plain. That goes for some portions of the dunes main land. The grotto looks a little more lively.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Tails spin said:

I experienced my first glitch if you want to call it that. I was in Doop Doop Dunes Grotto and I dodged a paper spiny doing a spin attack then it hit the corner and remained stuck in an invisible wall in it's shell spinning. It didn't stop till I left that side then came back to it.

I sometimes question the graphics direction in that at some points the land looks barren and plain. That goes for some portions of the dunes main land. The grotto looks a little more lively.

I think they compensated for the dash being able to cover vast tracks of land quicker by making the areas...well, more vast.

Which kind of defeats the purpose of being able to move faster, but eh.

I will say that Mega Pokey and Paper Tower Pokey was a spike up in difficulty compared to petey, which was great. Papercraft Kamek was also a more interesting fight. I'm loving the Koopalings dialogue and Twinsy Tropics Dungeon is great as well. and without spoiling anything I love the fourth wall breaking that goes on here.

The papercraft battles are my least favourite aspect of the game. I can do them fine, but they're all just a matter of "dodge, maybe charge if they're certain bosses, then attack". The last one in particular was just a grind to get through. 

Yeah they are kind of my least favorite as well. Honestly Giant Luigi Battles >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Papercraft battles, but like I said Papercraft Kamek was more enjoyable. 

23 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Here, have a 25 minute long video filled to the brim with glitches you can try!

Yeah, thanks but no thanks. I'm not one to go out of my way to break a game. 

The game is still very much play so who cares it it has glitch. 

Show me a game that has less than 5 glitch or none at all

Just now, Tails spin said:

Dude,what's your problem?

I'm not giving the game shit for having glitches. That's absurd. It'd be plain silly to think any game can be glitch free.

If you don't like breaking games, good for you, but a lot of other people like trying out glitches in order to do things the game never intended, for example like how in Sonic Adventure, people enjoy glitching Tails into Emerald Coast, or glitching Knuckles into Twinkle Park. I don't know why you're trying to be confrontational or trying to claim the game is unplayable, because I've never said any of that. The video is for those who want to simply see what fun glitches are in the game so they can try it out. For example, there's a way to glitch a JP help screen into the English version that is impossible to see without glitches.

• Thumbs Up 7

1 hour ago, Tails spin said:

Gee whiz, calm down man. No one's trying to break the game. Glitches are fun!

I'll give the vid a watch in a bit and post my thoughts on which I'd like to try.

• Thumbs Up 3

I don't really have much of an interest in watching twenty-five minutes of glitches, but I'll mention that I did get one: Whilst running around in the desert (i.e. actually running), I managed to get Mario and Luigi stuck on top of a hill with Paper Mario at the bottom and with a piece of scenery on the cliff edge between them.  They wouldn't stop running even when I wasn't pressing anything, but they also wouldn't move any farther away from each other either, so I was stuck there.  I eventually managed to wriggle my way out of it somehow, though.

So I beat the game and I have to say, the Final Boss was very easy and I just breezed through it. I don't know if it was because of my strategy or if it was legitimately that easy. I was also confused because my brother who had beaten the game before me had recommended that I grind up to level 46 because he said he had that much trouble with the final boss, yet I was able to breeze through at level 41 and I did no grinding whatsoever. Though I do admit I gave the Mario the ability that healing items he uses do 200% more healing and had him in charge of healing while Luigi and Paper Mario were in charge of attacks.

• 2 months later...

CgV-nG1W4AADtoE.jpg:large

Hey yo, Mario and Luigi fans (Well, the ones in America at least), if you head to Sonic this May, you can pick up some toys based on the game.

And, yes the joke about Mario toys being given out by a place called Sonic have been made.

• Thumbs Up 2

Seems a lil' late to have a tie-in kids meal for Paper Jam. Why wouldn't they have done this back in January or February? I mean, surely Sonic didn't have any OTHER big kids meal promotions going on. :P

I think the real irony is the M&L versions of the characters being rendered in 2D, the exact joke they kept making in the game with the 2D Paper characters being in a 3D world.