Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Rise of Lyric's plot was chopped up and had most of it left out, but the actual cutscene writing was fantastic, P&G or not. I'm not going to talk more about THAT game, but Pontac and Graff's writing is all over the place for me. In Colors it was good, in Generations it was meh, in Lost World it was okay excluding Tails' PMS scene. Shattered Crystal, however, had the worst plot and cheesiest writing of any of the recent games, barring Runners because pfffthaha

So in terms of what they could do here, while I'm disappointed that the plot is so unoriginal, it could still be well-written. And I mean, SC's "Amy is kidnapped. Save" is probably worse. This at least has the Ragnium mining and defections going for it that haven't been used, I guess.

I'm staying optimistic about this title. It's really not that hard.

Dude, not cool. There's no need to insult him.

They're already banned. There's no need to keep that incident alive by responding to him.

Not really.  The game's plot turned out to be a million times worse than Pontac and Graff as a result, in my opinion at least.  At least in pretty much everything they've written for the series, it's been coherent, albeit simple and lacking in consequence and sometimes a little misguided.  RoL suffers from complications and lacking in consequence as well as just being an incoherent mess of seemingly randomly strung together plot points that come and go without any buildup or resolution.  And for as much flack as we give Pontac and Graff flack for their brand of humor, their comedic timing (while not great) was just so much less frustrating than BRB's attempts at extremely dated humor that often stumbles all over itself.

The writing in RoL to me was one of the worst aspects of the game, personally.  So having Pontac and Graff, while not in any way guaranteed to redeem the project, will at least ensure I'll be able to sit through it.

With regards to R0L's plot.

I did some research on it a while ago as to who exactly wrote it, but I could never find anything conclusive, despite what was mentioned or murmured during the various PR and in the credits. BRB actually had people there who had some pretty decent games under their name in terms of written material.

Can't quite remember exactly who it was (this was way back in November 2014), but pretty sure that they had one guy who had worked on adventure games from... urm.. urm... christ I can't remember, but it was one of the big studios who used to make classic point and click/text based adventure games, stuff like Kings Quest (not that), but in that genre.

So it wasn't like they didn't know how to write, they clearly did.

I'd probably say the story was another thing affect by development hell since it's quite obvious the stories from the first-look trailer and the actual game are rather different.

So the lead writer is John Melchior and some additional story was done by Christan Cantamessa, according to RoL's credits.

Also some of the dialogue was written by the Boom TV writers like Bill Frieberger, Evan Bailey, Alan Denton and Greg Hahn.

The above explains why I enjoy some of the dialogues like Knux trash talks Amy's hammer and the like.

Edited by Puli Soni
  • Thumbs Up 2

Not really.  The game's plot turned out to be a million times worse than Pontac and Graff as a result, in my opinion at least.  At least in pretty much everything they've written for the series, it's been coherent, albeit simple and lacking in consequence and sometimes a little misguided.  RoL suffers from complications and lacking in consequence as well as just being an incoherent mess of seemingly randomly strung together plot points that come and go without any buildup or resolution.  And for as much flack as we give Pontac and Graff flack for their brand of humor, their comedic timing (while not great) was just so much less frustrating than BRB's attempts at extremely dated humor that often stumbles all over itself.

The writing in RoL to me was one of the worst aspects of the game, personally.  So having Pontac and Graff, while not in any way guaranteed to redeem the project, will at least ensure I'll be able to sit through it.

I can see why people say they don't like the writting, I just don't see why its "bad". My problem with colors and lost world was that it was trying to be funny but failed (most of the time). Here it actually succeeds, all while including minimal character interation and devopment. sure its basic "beevas and butthead" funny, but I don't see anything wrong with that, it anything its a nice change of pace, how would you include humor in an action packed story...huh?

• Thumbs Up 2

Tara please, RoL doesn't even come close to repeated jokes when Colors fucking tops it. Seriously, just count of all the repeated plot points and jokes used in that game's story.

Seriously, I don't see how anyone can find Colors' story better the SC's like at all. Colors' was atrocious but then Gens came and yeah......

You're joking right? Lost World was incoherent as all hell. Like, what even happened? Sonic and Tails went to a planet, there were some dudes there, Eggman controlled these dudes, but they rebel, everyone is blaming this on Sonic, Tails gets pissed off at Sonic for reasons that were never disclosed, Tails gets kidnapped, everyone dies apparently, the bad guys go away, and what in the hell did we learn from this? That Tails is better than Eggman apparently, and the whole thing was a waste of fucking time.

• Thumbs Up 8

Tara please, RoL doesn't even come close to repeated jokes when Colors fucking tops it. Seriously, just count of all the repeated plot points and jokes used in that game's story.

Seriously, I don't see how anyone can find Colors' story better the SC's like at all. Colors' was atrocious but then Gens came and yeah......

• Thumbs Up 1

... but at least it's not-

"There's no time like the present.  Wait, there are presents?!"

Wherein Knuckles somehow misunderstands the context of the words he was saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uhhhh, I'm pretty sure Sonic was the one who said "There's no time like the present" which is why he said no, when Knux misinterprets his words.

Again there was some really good jokes, like the moment where Knux slapped Sonic so hard, he lost a ring or Knux trashtalking Amy that there's a hammer bigger than her's.

Trying to find the "there are presents" scene standalone on YouTube and not having much luck.  In any case, I don't think any of the moments listed made me laugh.  They felt equally dated and hammered in, if not more so.

Shadow's random, pointless appearance was far more nonsense than the entirety of Lost World. How do you have so much bile for a story as straightforward as Lost World's, but excuse this as just "weird"?

it wasn't random, just unexpected. he clearly knew that sonic released lyric in the first place, so he wanted to prevent sonic from doing anymore harm by going in the past!

First off, Tails' beef was stated clearly: he was mad because he felt Sonic trusting Eggman to cooperate meant that he didn't trust Tails' skills. If you want to argue that it happened too quick or something, do so. But if you're going to say there was no given reason, either you didn't pay attention or you're lying.

Second, yeah, that's more or less what happened. It's basically as straightforward as it gets, what part of that did you think was "incoherent"?

Shadow's random, pointless appearance was far more nonsense than the entirety of Lost World. How do you have so much bile for a story as straightforward as Lost World's, but excuse this as just "weird"?

And how does Tails reach this conclusion? Why does he believe Sonic doesn't trust him?

And I say it's incoherent, because subplots get brought up and dropped all the time, and nothing is ever explained. Who are the Deadly Six? What is the Cocophonous Conch and where does it come from? Why is Eggman on the Lost Hex in the first place? Why are Amy and Knuckles even there? Why isn't Knuckles guarding the Master Emerald?

How are any of those moments forced and dated? I don't understand....

How is a joke about Knux slapping Sonic in the back so hard, he lost a ring counts as dated? Because of rings?

While I found those 2 moments to be pretty funny, I can sort of see why you didn't find them as such but I don't understand your reasoning......

it wasn't random, just unexpected. he clearly knew that sonic released lyric in the first place, so he wanted to prevent sonic from doing anymore harm by going in the past!

It's random because it has no impact or meaning in the story. He shows up for a fight, he gets thrown into a time hole, then he shows up at the end after everything's been done. Nothing would be different if he hadn't been in the game at all.

We also end up knowing basically nothing about him as a character, aside from what we fans assume is the same as with main series Shadow. Granted that's kind of true of every character, they just act as if we already know everyone, but it's especially bad with Shadow because he's barely in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's random because it has no impact or meaning in the story. He shows up for a fight, he gets thrown into a time hole, then he shows up at the end after everything's been done. Nothing would be different if he hadn't been in the game at all.

We also end up knowing basically nothing about him as a character, aside from what we fans assume is the same as with main series Shadow. Granted that's kind of true of every character, they just act as if we already know everyone, but it's especially bad with Shadow because he's barely in the game.

I see your point, perhaps the only thing that could explain it is that "its a mystery" which is always okay, shadow's own game considered. It honestly would have felt more fitting if the entire game was filled with random stuff happaning, then it would blend more. I guess they expected you to just take a step back and look at the story as it really is!

And how does Tails reach this conclusion? Why does he believe Sonic doesn't trust him?

Because machines are his thing. Early cutscenes reinforce that he's a mechanical genius. Why would Sonic trust a guy who tries to kill them on a weekly basis to disable a machine, when he's already got a genius sidekick?

And I say it's incoherent, because subplots get brought up and dropped all the time, and nothing is ever explained. Who are the Deadly Six?

Demons, more or less. Power-hungry jerks from a microplanet.

What is the Cocophonous Conch and where does it come from?

Doesn't matter. Whether it's an ancient artifact, Eggman's creation, or something else, it's busted by the end of the second zone.

Why is Eggman on the Lost Hex in the first place?

The same reason he's anywhere, to take advantage of some outside power to help him take over.

Why are Amy and Knuckles even there?

They were helping to save the animals that Eggman was kidnapping.

Why isn't Knuckles guarding the Master Emerald?

See above. And buddy, if this is a serious sticking point for you, you've got way more games to complain about than just Lost World.

These really aren't difficult questions. It really makes it feel like you aren't coming into the discussion honestly.

• Thumbs Up 4

I think it's surprisingly hard to fully judge Pontac and Graff as there's been a lot about the past few games that have been out of their hands.  With Colours and Generations, it seems they were asked to write the dialogue, but the actual plot was given to them.  I'd wager that there's a certain amount of Lost World that was set in stone beforehand too even if they were given more of a free hand, and I believe they've also admitted that they were rushed on writing it.  Shattered Crystal we again don't know exactly how much responsibility they had, but I imagine that packing the script full of gags about versions of the characters that nobody understood was something they were told to do rather than deciding on their own.

Ultimately I don't think they suit Sonic very well, but they also haven't exactly had amazing material to work with.

Pretty sure Sonic had something resembling a spin dash in the original. Not so sure if it was that powerful in movement, though.