Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice

Radiant Hero Ike

Thing that amazes me, is that they went through this bullshit before. Remember the Beta version of Metroid: Zero Mission?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RExHUXbFt5E

People FREAKED when Nintendo showed that at E3, so they changed it to what it is now.

So I guess Sega knew to avoid negative feedback at all costs after what happened at last year's E3. Wonder if they will even have a presence at Gamescom.

• Thumbs Up 3

They never said they wouldn't be at E3. They clearly said they'd be collaborating with business partners at E3. Based on what they've been doing that with Creative Assembly and maaaaybe Atlus. They just won't have a booth.

They have a permanent meeting room, they showed off Total War at the PC Gaming Show, they have Tembo the Badass Elephant on the show floor (found this out by TailsChannel), they showed off the demo to a Hatsune Miku VR game, and they were even on Twitch's E3 stream earlier today. The only thing not there is a Sonic and a booth (I wish they were though).

EDIT: Just found out the Miku tech demo is at Sony's booth.

I don't remember them saying M&S and F&I weren't at E3 though. I knew they wouldn't have a big presence at E3 but not that they wouldn't show off demos for those games at all.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the interview!

They never said they wouldn't be at E3. They clearly said they'd be collaborating with business partners at E3. Based on what they've been doing that with Creative Assembly and maaaaybe Atlus. They just won't have a booth.

They have a permanent meeting room, they showed off Total War at the PC Gaming Show, they have Tembo the Badass Elephant on the show floor (found this out by TailsChannel), they showed off the demo to a Hatsune Miku VR game, and they were even on Twitch's E3 stream earlier today. The only thing not there is a Sonic and a booth (I wish they were though).

EDIT: Just found out the Miku tech demo is at Sony's booth.

"The fans wanted a classic Sonic experience, a linear experience, so there is less exploration"

Wait... I don't get this, I thought many people considered the classics to be less linear and have exploration? Or am I wrong with that?

Also Fire & Ice's multiplayer is local only.

• Thumbs Up 5

"The fans wanted a classic Sonic experience, a linear experience, so there is less exploration"

Wait... I don't get this, I thought many people considered the classics to be less linear and have exploration? Or am I wrong with that?

Also Fire & Ice's multiplayer is local only.

A lot of people like the old games because they aren't linear and have multiple ways of completing levels which therefore adds replay value if you wish to replay new levels in old ways. Shattered Crystal is totally different in that you generally are forced to take the same route to complete levels but being forced to make detours for forced exploration to collect items, which forced the player into backtracking, rather than adding replay value and giving the player the option to replay levels.

In other worlds, Sanaru's reasoning is stupid and misguided.

• Thumbs Up 2

This is only further proof that most people in general outside of the really dedicated have NO IDEA what Sonic is or ever was about.

It's a matter of poorly defined terms.

The classic games are less linear and have exploration because they have a large number of paths, even though they all eventually converge towards a single goal. There are many ways to reach your goal, and becoming a better player involves seeking out new paths.

Shattered Crystal was less linear and had exploration in the sense that levels had a mazelike structure and progression required collecting certain items. Finding the exit was secondary to finding items.

They're very different kinds of games, but the difference can't be summed up by saying more or less linear or having more or less exploration. You could argue that the classics are more linear than SC, but that doesn't meaningfully capture the difference between them.

• Thumbs Up 5

I still don't think that's entirely right. Linearity implies that there's a clear beginning and an end. Even having multiple routes doesn't mean there's true non-linearity, it just means there's more ways to get from point A to point B. I don't think that the classics were truly any less linear than a more modern game, like Unleashed. They just had more routes. And routes weren't really ever presented in a way that would imply you had any choice between them either, you just simply took the one that was best for playing the game well. When I think of a truly non-linear gaming experience, I think Minecraft. Something that would make the game less "linear" would be something like Colors, where some levels had multiple goal rings.

I also don't like the linear argument for whether or not a game is "good" or not. Like I said, Minecraft is probably the epitome of non-linearity, and yet is it truly a better game than, say, Sonic 3&K? I don't think most people here would say so, it's just a different one.

I think the term more applicable is "complexity" when pertaining to Sonic level games. Sonic CD has more "complex" level design than say Sonic Adventure 2, which is very simple. And even then, complexity isn't something in and of itself that's good or necessarily better. I know many people are frustrated by Sonic CD's level design.

Where is Tembo? I really need to know.

The game is being developed by Game Freak so I'm not sure. I got no response from TailsChannel either, hence the belated reply (sorry about that), so I'm just at a loss as you are. I would assume maybe Sony or Microsoft's booths.

Unfortnately Matt wasn't allowed to record footage of the game anyway. That's why no video exists.

The game is being developed by Game Freak so I'm not sure. I got no response from TailsChannel either, hence the belated reply (sorry about that), so I'm just at a loss as you are. I would assume maybe Sony or Microsoft's booths.

Unfortnately Matt wasn't allowed to record footage of the game anyway. That's why no video exists.

It's okay. I found it at the Microsoft booth. Awesome game too.

Japanese trailer:

Well, this is a weird thing to see. Has the show even started airing over there yet? How many copies do they expect to sell with this, a sequel to a relatively obscure spinoff game to an already locally unpopular franchise?

It could be just a placeholder, but it's better than nothing - according to Amazon Germany, Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice will be released on November 27, 2015.

post-3074-0-21319300-1434890763_thumb.pn

Wait, the thing is due out in four months, and they don't even a Japanese dub ready to fit into a trailer?

Are they even going to be dubbing it?

Definitely abstaining from pre-ordering this, due both to the fact that I don't have high hopes for the game and because the last pre-order bonus turned out to be extremely disappointing.

I am definitely not pre ordering this, just like I didn't pre order Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal. Besides there will be better games out at the time that I would gladly take over this one.

I won't be getting this at launch unless it's good, and I won't be getting it at all if its anything less than decent. I really cannot bring myself to trust any Sonic Boom related product outside of the show and the comics, and Sanzaru don't really get what made the classics special. Linear isn't necessarily a bad thing though, the early Dimps games were linear and they were still great in my opinion.