Awoo.

DC Extended Universe Thread | Wonder Woman | June 2nd, 2017

Brad

Wonder Woman 2017 was indeed the best film that Dc gets to create. I love the story, the actors, and the spectacular effects. It's jam pack, looking forward to seeing the next installment. I hope that they will Patty Jenkins again to direct this one. For now, I am excited to watch Unite the League a few months from now, hoping that I won't be disappointed. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, dwibs93 said:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/shazam-zachary-levi-dc-1202601422/

The New Line/DCEU Shazam film has cast Zachary Levi in the title role.

So it's going to be Flynn Rider VS Maui?  I can dig that.  As long as it keeps a tone that's not aiming for anything too serious (I mean look at the material they're dealing with here) then I think it can work out in the end.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

Reviews have begun releasing for Justice League and the reviews don't seem to be indicating that the movie is going to be very good. At this point, it's probably not that surprising. Justice League had far too much going against it. Only having Batman, Superman and WW set up beforehand, having to try establish Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman in one movie, not to mention characters like Barry Allen already having a established and seemingly more likeable version set up with Grant Austin on CW's Flash. There's also the risk of using Steppenwolf, a lesser known villain as opposed to say Darkseid for example. 

That's not even going into the mismanagements, the reshooting, the forced different direction of comedy/action due to BVS' reception, the actors having fallings out with Zack Snyder and more. It all felt like a film going through development hell but desperately being revived by the studio to get it out on time, and in the end, it all came out as a mess according to reviews.

I'll probably still give it a watch, hoping as a DC fan, maybe I can look past issues, but yeesh, I'm worried now.

13 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Reviews have begun releasing for Justice League and the reviews don't seem to be indicating that the movie is going to be very good. At this point, it's probably not that surprising. Justice League had far too much going against it. Only having Batman, Superman and WW set up beforehand, having to try establish Flash, Cyborg, Aquaman in one movie, not to mention characters like Barry Allen already having a established and seemingly more likeable version set up with Grant Austin on CW's Flash. There's also the risk of using Steppenwolf, a lesser known villain as opposed to say Darkseid for example. 

That's not even going into the mismanagements, the reshooting, the forced different direction of comedy/action due to BVS' reception, the actors having fallings out with Zack Snyder and more. It all felt like a film going through development hell but desperately being revived by the studio to get it out on time, and in the end, it all came out as a mess according to reviews.

I'll probably still give it a watch, hoping as a DC fan, maybe I can look past issues, but yeesh, I'm worried now.

I don't think going with Snyder's vision in the first place was a good idea, but WB were desperate for their universe to be different to Marvel's. Speaking of him, which actors did he fall out with? I can't find anything about it.

11 minutes ago, Pawn said:

I don't think going with Snyder's vision in the first place was a good idea, but WB were desperate for their universe to be different to Marvel's. Speaking of him, which actors did he fall out with? I can't find anything about it.

Wasn't there a whole argument that caused some of the movies in the DCCU to get cut because of cast disagreements with Snyder? Don't take it as fact because I could be misremembering something. This entire cinematic universe has been that much of a mess with the amount of stupid decisions and scandals that's occurred with it.

Edit: I can't seem to find any posts about it in this topic, so it does indeed appear I've misremembered something, apologies. 

So yeah Justice League was....ok. It's an unnofensively average superhero movie. It was meant to be a 2 parter originally and you can tell, the plot is very rushed. The introductions of Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg were too rushed to make any impact and the baggage of BvS still weighs it down. But it was still entertaining for what it was. My major problem is that the first Justice League movie should have been more than just ok.

I love Justice League so much. Flash, Aquaman, and especially Cyborg were highlights of this film. Screw solo movies. These were guys were developed enough. They didn't feel rushed out at all and I got to know them enough. Superman was amazing as well. His development from MOS and BvS came full circle here and he is now the Superman I grew up with.

The members of the Justice League definitely play off each other very well in in the movie, and that's by far its best strength.  The rest of the the movie is comparatively dull; there are many moments where the CG is completely off, Steppenwolf isn't that interesting of villain (though his CG was better than most of the effects in the film, so there's something), the build up to assembling the Justice League takes far too long and could've been better handled if they didn't try to do this kind of movie so early in the DCU's life.

But it's worth it for the characters alone I feel.  Their banter with each other is just so incredibly charming and fun to behold.  Even if I wasn't on board with the rest of the film, they certainly had me hooked and I'm at least interested to see where they go from here.

One thing I didn't like in Justice League was how the League got their asses handed to them by Steppenwolf until Superman showed up. Wonder Woman should be able to hang her own, screw you movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm just wondering when DC and Warner Bros. are going to learn that we like these characters for their character and personality and values. 

Cyborg is more of a plot device here alongside the big one that you'd know if you've read The Death of Superman story, Aquaman is a big dudebro, the Flash comes off as the young guy who's clearly the millennial stand in like Spider-Man is in the MCU, Batman is an even bigger and more clueless dick than he was in Batman V. Superman, and Wonder Woman is now obsessing over Steve Trevor. I see Joss Whedon got to put his Wonder Woman to film after all. 

Boy. I sure do hope Warner Bros. does well with this 1-dimensional take on their material. This shouldn't piss any fan off. /s 

The casting is fine enough. I just would have liked them to have a better script to be able to work with, but the focus for Warner Bros. from what I see is to get in on the Marvel slice of pie. Which hey, that's fair. Movies are an industry. But the movie barely does anything to hide that fact. I know that Mother Boxes came first in comics, but what matters is that this should have been a fun movie. You know? I should feel something. 

Well, I guess I did feel something. I'm still disgusted with what they keep doing to these characters. Man, Patty Jenkins. Your team's work on Wonder Woman is so appreciated. If only there'd be another one of these movies as good as yours. 

Highlight for me: Danny Elfman's score. It's so nice to hear leitmotifs in the score for this movie even if they're harkening back to films outside of the DCEU that I liked better save for Wonder Woman. He did a great interpretation of the DCEU theme which isn't hard to do I feel since that theme was immediately iconic back in March 2016 and still is. 

I mean, I guess the film is alright? I don't know. It's not very good nor is it actually terrible. It's more unimpressive and average if I'm going to be fair on its merits. Better than uh.... Wow, three of these movies out of the total five? Geez, Warner Bros. This isn't looking good for you. You can have Batman tell me that "Superman is human" but these movies certainly don't make me feel that. He doesn't feel like a person at all. He seems to be just angry or disinterested with everyone until he's happy when he's around Lois or Ma Kent. 

Also, having most of the guys perv out on Wonder Woman was a big mistake. Keep it in your pants. 

• Thumbs Up 2

• 10 months later...

Well, according to reports, Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck have left the DCEU.

With that, I think it's fair to say that the DCEU is pretty close to death, having lost the two major actors for their two major characters. If I had to guess what'll happen next, Flashpoint will be bumped up to reboot the whole thing, which to be frank at this point wouldn't be such a bad thing.

• Thumbs Up 1