Awoo.

DC Extended Universe Thread | Wonder Woman | June 2nd, 2017

Brad

If people can get over Rocket Racoon not having a Australian accent, I'm sure they can get used to this.  Doesn't feel so much lazy as it does a re-approach to the character.

I also don't think having tons of big names ruins a movie personally. Look at Avengers.

• 3 weeks later...

Batman finally gets to do his thing, in a scene that feels like it came straight out of the Arkham games, no less!

Apparently this is the final trailer we'll be getting of the movie, though

Also why are there a bunch of flying creatures in one shot? Thought this was gonna be about Doomsday, not an alien invasion.

• 1 month later...

So, i've seen BvS already, special screening last night. I really enjoyed it! The fan in me was quite satisfied. It takes a while to get going a bit and some pacing issues in the beginning, but it finds its footing though and its a wild ride when it gets going. I liked Cavil in MoS even if i felt he could've gotten more to work with, thankfully he does in this one, and he's good. Glad to see more of the classic traits here for him (i would actually watch a movie just about Clark Kent reporting around in glasses) I LOVE Batfleck, so he might be like my definitive live action Batman now? Super-great and nails all the aspects of Bruce and Batman down. I enjoy the balance between him being older, more cynical, and traumatized, while still feeling like he's in his prime and not out of shape at the same time.  There might be one thing that might come off as controversial though regarding him, but it's not necessarily a new thing though, it's been done before, i don't really have much of an issue with it though. Wonder Woman is AWESOME. Kicks so much ass, doesn't have that big of a role, but what she has is perfect. Everyone cheered when she showed up.  Jesse Eisenberg also did a surprisingly good job with this rendition of Lex i was really impressed! Deranged, twisted, creepy/cringey megalomaniac, who you really love to hate. Man he sure is a shitbag late in the film but he was real good at being a shitbag. Excited by some of the DC tie-ins and universe stuff in it too, lots of good surprises i'll say for now. Surprisingly........emotional movie too. Oh my Zod, the fight scenes too <3 They are so glorious and well done and  just, visceral, Zack Snyder always delivers when it comes to those. There's an action sequence done in one take that's quite insane, especially in the IMAX theatre i was sitting in.  Speaking of which, real nice to see they acknowledged the complaints about that movie, regarding the destruction and what not.  Overall, really dug the movie, not perfect,(i mentioned how the pacing feels a bit disjointed in the first half, as some scene transitions are done rather jarringly, and a few other minor plot holey stuff) but still quite good, and i really like how it expands the universe and cannot wait for the next few movies.  Will def try and see it again this weekend, and to see how much it holds up on a second viewing.

• Thumbs Up 3

12 minutes ago, Detective Hogfather said:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/batman_v_superman_dawn_of_justice/

When I last looked about 2 hours ago, it was at 40%.

It's now at 33% and it's still going down.

Yeah, and looking at the "Fresh" Reviews, over half them seem more like they fall on the Rotten side too. Seems like the bulk of it really doesn't work.

What's cracking me up is that people are accusing Disney of buying reviews when, even the primary TIME review, which is a subsidiary of WB is negative. Mind you some of the Time regional branches are positive, but they are the ones that actually seem off.

Also fun fact, it has a lower score than Batman Forever(at 41), and currently sits at the same average rating(5.1/10). You know you did something wrong when you are doing worse than the Batman movie that was the beginning of the end for Superhero Movies for a Decade. Still above Batman and Robin at 11% though. However it's lower than Affleck's last cowled movie Daredevil, which is at 44%... and oddly enough 5.1/10, that's an oddly common review average

I'm seeing it tonight. But if I do end up not liking it, I say it's time for WB/DC to kick Synder to the curb.

On 3/22/2016 at 4:15 PM, Jacky said:

(i would actually watch a movie just about Clark Kent reporting around in glasses)

That's me!! :D

For some reason, I actually want to watch this movie, despite initially having no interest in it due to what I perceived to be an overly dark-n-edgy, and that now coupled with its poor reception. it would be fun to see a movie starring Superman in a theater, which I've never done before, and Henry Cavill is really cute with those Clark Kent glasses :P Plus, of course I'd like to form my own opinion about the movie. I'm sure it will have some good moments. It's just...while I actually really enjoyed Man of Steel when I watched it, there were also several ideas in it that I hated, so another movie set in that universe doesn't thrill me (and also, I'm not sure whether or not I'd still like MoS if I rewatched it since I've been a Superman fan for longer now and have more defined opinions). Still, I feel like I should give it a chance, even given its poor reception. A part of me is really annoyed that yet another movie starring Superman gets bad reviews (his last well-received movie was released 36 freaking years ago!!), but another part hoping this will "wake up" DC and make them rethink this take on Superman and improve it (and stop trying THAT hard to be dark and serious, even if I do think that definitely has its place). Of course, maybe there's actually nothing wrong with it, for all I know, so I guess I'll have to see it for myself.

31 minutes ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

That's me!! :D

For some reason, I actually want to watch this movie, 

Well we all want to watch the movie, it's just that a lot of us now don't fancy paying £9.99 for two hours of potential disappointment. 

So, ironically, it seems one of the common complaints is the same as mine from Man of Steel. The movie tried far too hard to be a dark and gritty film is one I've seen thrown around a lot for example.

As a Batman fan myself, I honestly can't say I was too surprised at the reactions so far, I've been saying exactly this from the first trailer. That the film was trying far too hard to be a serious dark and gritty film and that seems to be exactly what has happened here. Man of Steel kind of made nervous this wasn't going to be very good, due to me not liking Man of Steel very much, but jeez, I was not expecting things to look this bad. If DC are seriously planning to have this guy direct the entirety of the DC movies, including Justice League, then I don't see this working very well. It doesn't help that the director doesn't even seem to have respect for these characters.

For example, a recent interview had Zack Synder saying he didn't understand why people hated the death toll in Man of Steel and tried to claim "I thought people would like that I was growing up Superman". Which seems like a double edged sword towards viewers, by saying Superman of previous years was childish. But he completely misses the point when he says that The Force Awakens had a death toll of like five planets. 

He doesn't seem to realize the problem wasn't the death toll in of itself. The problem was it was Superman who was causing the deaths. Think about it. Superman is commonly referred to as the boy scout of the DC Universe. He's the shining example of heroism in the universe. He doesn't kill, and he stands by that code to the end, same way Batman does. Zack Synder had this character, literally the one character who has the moral code of "Don't put any lives in danger" is smashing Zod through buildings in a populated area, with absolute disregard of who he might harm in the process. It's a very reckless and out of character way for Superman to act. There might have been entire planets in The Force Awakens that may have been destroyed, but that was the villains of the movie doing it. You know, the characters that the movie literally shows to be in the wrong, and needs to be stopped before they can cause any more harm to the galaxy.

I think this says it better than I ever could:

• Thumbs Up 9

Pretty much my thoughts as well, Ryan.  Snyder clearly is clueless on how these guys work (making me question his overall knowledge of the DC universe...).  I mean "Growing up" Superman by making him smash the villain through building after building, then snapping his neck is not so much as growing him up, but not thinking of the big picture and putting too much focus in the thought process of "How cool would it be to see them super punch each other?"  It's immature and completely misses the point.

Not to mention, him trying to shift some of the blame and hate towards Man of Steel by comparing the body count to Episode VII is a poor comparison.  When the Hosnian system was blown up, we weren't shown nearly two hours of explosions, death and annihilation, just a short shot of several planets getting torched.  It carried emotional power, unlike Man of Steel, because it didn't drone on and give you a headache, which funnily enough sounds exactly how to describe BvS as far as what I've heard.

• Thumbs Up 4

So I have no intention on seeing this movie and had a substantial amount of it spoiled for me, but there was one thing I just couldn't believe. For anyone that's seen it is it true that Batman

Spoiler

Actually kills people, and with guns no less? Then there was something about him crushing people to death with the Bat-mobile 

I will admit, it was very disappointing to see BvS take such a hit with critics. In fact, I'd go so far as to say it's even heartbreaking to see it hover around 30% on RT. I'm still going to see BvS. I've waited years to see it, and I'd rather come to my own conclusion on its overall quality. As somebody who does like Man of Steel, it's a shame that to see the burgeoning DCEU in such disarray. I know that MoS is a flawed film, and I won't deny that its detractors have ammunition to back up their criticism. But at the same time, I just don't see it as a cinematic abomination. I just can't see from that perspective. I'm still going to see this film while it's still in theaters, but I don't expect much.

In the end, I want to give this film a chance regardless of its bad press.

I don't want it to bomb at the box office either. Not only would that hurt the DCEU, but it may taint the market for movies in this genre to see BvS crash and burn. I want it to make enough money to give the Warner Brothers the chance to change course and drop Zack Snyder. Snyder isn't incapable of making good movies, but his presence is not instilling any faith in this shared universe. I'd rather have George Miller take those reins than somebody with a spotty record like Zack Snyder.

I don't want the DCEU to fall apart. There's still hope in Suicide Squad this coming August. I want both Marvel and DC to create good movies that make money hand over fist, but a change must be made. We can't have Zack Snyder direct any other DCEU titles. As much as I've defended him in the past, it's time to find some fresh blood.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I just realized what my biggest problem with Man of Steel(and this universe) is all along. They haven't made Superman Grown up, They've made him an Anti-Villain. Someone who does only what benefits him. In MOS he defeated Zod more because of a grudge than any real feeling for the world or humanity. He was a Bully pushing another Bully out of his pad. Things do not need to be dark and gritty all the time, in fact the point of humor is to provide levity. Some people say Marvel relies on it too much, but that really does not keep their good movie story tellers from telling a good story. In fact, do you know what Soldiers and warriors in tense situations do? They joke they laugh it off, when they face impossible odds they act as if it's nothing but one big joke. In the time of greatest darkness they have levity, and you know why? So they don't break. That's why the Flash is always so light hearted, it's not because he's immature, it's to protect his humanity. Same goes for Spiderman and his quips, he knows he could face his end at any time, but he uses his jokes to keep himself from giving into despair, and to keep his enemies off balance. That's a thing Snyder doesn't get, and that's part of the reason his universe is going to fail. That and seems that he doesn't believe in Honest heroes, just deeply flawed ones, not that both can live side by side.

• Thumbs Up 4

If Zach Snyder was directing a Spiderman movie it would come out looking like Death Wish.

• Thumbs Up 1

DC Comics and WB should of let Zack Snyder make a Batman movie on his own, instead of making him waste billions of money making Batman vs Superman since it is a huge boring mess, and doesn't deserve to be a movie with horrible actors, horrible story, and cheap CGI action.

*only read reviews, haven't seen the movie*

I've only read reviews as well, but even I have to say that's a flimsy way to judge a film you haven't seen. 

• Thumbs Up 2

So, according to what was picked up by a movie news site, if the film doesn't do well financially, Snyder is out. http://www.moovienews.com/20160323-major-shakeup-for-warnerbros-and-dc.html

So far, it's made $197.3 million against a $250 million budget, but I don't know if it's going to make it by the end of the weekend. We'll see. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2015.htm

Well, I just came back from Batman v. Superman, and I did like it. But truthfully speaking, I did not love it. I don't think I can rate this film higher than a 6.75/10.

My biggest issue is that Zack Synder cast everything in deep shadow. Every scene is rendered gloomy, and it can often make it hard to see what's happening during an action sequence. I'm not sure why Snyder doesn't try his hand at film noir. It's apparent that it's what he must want to do given the cinematography. The whole movie is clad in dreary, overcast skies even when there's sunlight. But when you can see clearly, the film is gorgeous. Snyder does know how to line up a shot when push comes to shove.

In the end, There's a lot to process. I feel like the narration's a tad too jumpy for its own sake, but I didn't think it was terribly distracting. I'm not sold on Luthor, but everyone else is ultimately fine. There are a number of concerns I have [i.e. Batman's degraded moral compass, Superman's mopey attitude, Luthor's unclear motives, etc.] but I don't want to write my full review just yet. But thankfully, the final fight took place on an uninhabited island. There was no repeat of Metropolis from Man of Steel.

Lastly, I want to see the Director's Cut when it's released. I feel like there are a number of scenes that are absent. And these scenes may have helped illuminate a few hidden truths.

All in all, see this movie and reach your own conclusion. It wasn't bad, but it had enough issues to keep me from loving it. I just feel like it's not worthy of a 30% on RT.

EDIT: One issue about Lex Luthor that some people may have missed:

Spoiler

He came to know about Darkseid from the Kryptonian space craft. He asked for the ship's computer to share its data with him in regard to the conditions of outer space. It's a blink-and-you'll-miss-it moment, but you can infer from that scene that's where he understand the threat Darkseid poses.

• Thumbs Up 1

So after seeing the movie yesterday, I walked out with two main things on my mind. One, my ability to dislike people grows significantly every time I have a horrible experience. Seriously though, the showing I went to had everything. People talking loudly during the movie, people on their phones, kids crying (a 10pm showing mind you DX), people walking in halfway through the movie, people sitting in the isles, the theater apparently not having set up the projector correctly and producing a noticeably split 3D image (though I guess that's my fault for giving 3D another chance in anything outside an animated film)... it was a mess.

Second, and more importantly, I don't know what the hell reviewers and RT are on about currently. I honestly didn't find the movie that bad but actually rather enjoyable. It was a bit darker than I thought it would be but, going off of the animated movies, I felt it still had the tone right. It had some noticeable pacing issues and some of the creative liberties Snyder took with the characters were idiotic in the end but it's no where near an 3/10 movie. I honestly found it to be quite a bit better than MoS or even Ant-Man. The action scenes were very well done and even some of the dialogue heavy scenes were well told. They solidly set up the Justice League in a pretty interesting way and I feel that every character was well cast. The only other thing, besides pacing, that I can honestly put to this film was just the way Superman was handled. It's not even the usual problem I have with the character where he's just a overpowered boy scout who's boring to watch. It's more of that he barely ever says more than 3 words at a time and gets into so much shit because of it. It makes him seem like a dumb ass as half the issues in this movie could have easily been solved with him saying more than a sentence at a time. There were honestly times where I thought to myself "So, when are we cutting back to Batman?" because his sections in the movie ended up being far more entertaining.

Overall, I'd honestly give the movie a 6.5/10. It certainly wasn't as good as I was hoping but definitely wasn't as bad as some are making it out to be. I mean, a lower rating than Spider Man 3 (which is somehow at a 63% on RT)? Come on people.

Well I'm back from seeing Batman v Superman and its still fresh in my mind. I like it but I do have a few issues with it.

My biggest one is that the movie kind of lacks focus. It likes to jump in between everything. And I was honestly confused on what was going on during the first half. I didn't know who was who or what they're doing, though it does clear up later but I did noticed that...

They are definitely hyping Justice League as a lot of its members were teased for 5 seconds.

It was definitely dark and gritty, its comparable to the Flashpoint Paradox in tone. Lex Luthor, whom I wasn't sold onto first, did pretty well and he was pretty funny. Affleck as Bruce/Batman was another big surprise since he fit pretty well into the role. He didn't sound forced nor narmy as Bale did when being Batman.

Remember how I just said its comparable to Flashpoint? Well this version of Batman uses guns and doesn't seem to regard criminal lives much like that universe's Batman. Also there was a scene where Flash mentions Bruce was right about Professor Zoom whom also important in that storyline. So I wonder if they're tying Flashpoint to the movie series.

I'm just rambling now. I don't think its worth the low rating it gotten but its not the best thing I've seen either. It can be enjoyable for the most part.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I'm all for people having opinions. If you enjoyed the film, good for you, but this kind of shit right here, screams denial, plugging your ears, and not being willing to listen to people that have fair complaints. Acting like people that have problems with are being unfair and are "Marvel babies" really REALLY makes you out as the obvious fanboy here.

image.jpeg

Everyones blaming the Director for the story....

I'll admit, Snyder chokes during interviews and rambles about nothing which makes me question his knowledge. But this movie was potentially doomed from the start when David S. Goyer was hired to write it. 

Ditch him, and pick out any great DC comic writer and let the future films flourish!

This film makes the same mistakes Iron Man 2 did.

Story that lacks focus, stopping the film to shove the big crossover film in people's faces, etc