Awoo.

ElectricAngel

A little late on this but there are new solicits out for February 2016!

Silly Symphonies, Vol. 1: The Complete Disney Classics

After more than 80 years—the complete Silly Symphonynewspaper strips are collected in English for the first time ever! The artwork for these rare strips has come straight from the Disney vaults. Each page has been meticulously colored using as a guide the original bound file copies that belonged to Walt Disney himself! This first of four volumes includes all the strips featuring Bucky Bug, the first Disney character to be originated in newspaper comics. The book also includes the very first Donald Duck newspaper strip—an adaptation of The Wise Little Hen. Other classic adaptations are Birds of a Feather, Penguin Isle, The Boarding School Mystery, The Robber Kitten, and Cookieland. Plus, the “Mickey Mouse Movies” bonus toppers!

Writers and Interior Artists: Earl Duvall, Al Taliaferro, Ted Osborne, and Merrill DeMaris 
Cover Artist: Al Taliaferro

SillyDisney1_cvr.jpg?1447855368

Release Date: March 16, 2016
Price: $49.99
Pre-Order Code: DEC150502

Uncle Scrooge: Peril of Pandora's Box

She’s mystical! She's maniacal! She’s Magica De Spell, the saucy sorceress–and she’s after Scrooge McDuck’s Number One Dime, with mythology’s oldest surprise package to help her! Enjoy two new Magica vs. McDuck tales... then stick around for epics pitting Scrooge against deep-woods danger, a menacing mummy... and super spendthrift John D. Rockerduck, foe of all penny-pinchers! Collects issues #7–9.

Writers: Romano Scarpa, Joe Torcivia, Arno Buitink, Daan Jippes, Tito Faraci, Gary Leach
Interior Artists: Romano Scarpa, Bas Heymans, Daan Jippes, Giorgio Cavazzano
Cover Artist: Michel Nadorp

ScroogeTPBv3_MOCKONLY.jpg?1447855361

Release Date: Feb. 3, 2016
Price: $12.99
Pre-Order Code: DEC150503

Donald and Mickey: The Walt Disney's Comics and Stories 75th Anniversary Collection

75 years ago, Disney’s flagship funnybook–Walt Disney’s Comics and Stories–first landed in the shops. Now dive into its history and heritage with this thrilling collection of tales. Donald Duck, Mickey, Goofy, and even Big Bad Wolf, Scamp and Oswald the Lucky Rabbit make appearances in this landmark collection! Reprints segments of IDW issues #721–726 plus IDW's WDCS 75th Anniversary Special.

Writers and Interior Artists: Carl Barks, Daan Jippes, Paul Murry, Fred Milton, William Van Horn, Gil Turner, Walt Kelly 
Cover Artist: Daan Jippes

WDCS_75thAn_TPB-MOCKONLY.jpg?1447855795

Price: $12.99
Pre-Order Code: DEC150504

And now onto the juicy stuff.

Donald Duck #10

Bad Day at Black Water!”Why do torch-wielding mobs want Donald and Uncle Scrooge out of their remote mountain town? Is it something in the springwater? Or scarier?

Writers: Paul McGreal and Carol McGreal
Interior Artist: Giorgio Cavazzano
Cover Artists: Giorgio Cavazzano and Patrick Block

Now this story is a very pleasant surprise! It's one of the more recent stories produced in Italy, and with art by the legendary Giorgio Cavazzano. I love his style so much, I just associate him with Disney comics these days. It's got a classic Disney feel to it, but his characters are more "rounded" I guess you could say than others, but I think it looks very charming. Now, the story in this issue is Paperino e i segreti di Acquanera which actually had an original title in English, known as Bad Day at Black Water. In fact, it was written by US writers and illustrated in Italy, which I find very interesting. The story was first published in Italy in issue #2986 of Topolino in 2013.

Original Publication Cover by Vitale Mangiatordi:
it_tl_2986a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Giorgio Cavazzano:
DonaldDuck10_cvrA_MOCKONLY.jpg?144785420

Release Date: Feb. 17, 2016
Price: $3.99
Pre-Order Code (REG Cover): DEC150505
Pre-Order Code (SUB Cover): DEC150506

Mickey Mouse #9

The Chirikawa Necklace,”Part 2 of 2! Pegleg Pete’s new partner, Trudy Van Tubb, is running a brutal gangster-training school—and Mickey must turn mobster to take it down!

Writer and Interior Artist: Romano Scarpa
Cover Artists: Henrieke Goorhuis and Alessandro Perina

Nothing all that new here. Just continuing the story Topolino e la collana Chirikawa from the last issue. But I will say there seems to be a mistake with the cover art credit, I think. This art is not Henrieke Goorhuis's. And I don't think it's Alessandro Perina's either. I haven't seen this cover before so maybe it's new? It does have an Italian feel to it though. Perhaps it is Henrieke's and he just changed his artstyle but I doubt it. For reference, he did the cover for #724 of WDCS, as seen here:

us_wdc_724aa_001.jpg

As you can see, there's a distinct difference. However, there's not much art he's made. Really, he's only done two covers, with the one above being the only one in recent years. Perhaps it's just the colouring throwing me off, but I don't know.

IDW Regular Cover by Henrieke Goorhuis:
Mickey08_cvrRI-MOCKONLY.jpg?1447855070

Release Date: Feb. 10, 2016
Pre-Order Code (REG Cover): 
DEC150507
Pre-Order Code (SUB Cover): DEC150508

Uncle Scrooge #11

“Scrooge’s Ark!”Is Duckburg about to drown in the mother of all floods? Will Scrooge McDuck build a giant boat to rescue his money? Only the Beagle Boys know for sure!

Writers: Giovan Battista Carpi and Joe Torcivia
Interior Artist: Giovan Battista Carpi
Cover Artists: 
Mark De Jonge and Massimo Fecchi

This issue features the story Zio Paperone e l'arca deposito which was originally published in Italy in issue #273 of Almanacco Topolino in 1979. I've never read this story, but it sounds downright hilarious! Also the solicits are wrong for this issue. The story was actually written by Giorgio Pezzin, not Giovan Battista Carpi. And I have no idea why they credited Joe Torcivia! He has nothing to do with this story! 

Original Publication Cover by Marco Roto:
it_at_0273a_001.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Mark De Jonge:
Scrooge11_cvr-MOCKONLY.jpg?1447855354

Pre-Order Code (REG Cover): DEC150509
Pre-Order Code (SUB Cover): DEC150510

Walt Disney’s Comics & Stories #728

What’s scarier than mad sorceress Magica De Spell? Magica De Spell with amnesia—becoming Uncle Scrooge’s ally in William Van Horn’s new “Woe Is He!” Then Donald dons his Duck Avenger cape and cowl in “The Search For the Zodiac Stone: Chapter 8!”

Writers: William Van Horn and Jonathan Gray
Interior Artists: William Van Horn and Massimo De Vita
Cover Artists: Jonathan Gray and Marco Gervasio

So.. William Van Horn is an American writer. And Woe Is He is a new story. That's all fine and dandy. But this issue is also continuing the story Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale  and that's fine but Bruno Sarda is not credited. Also let's look at the cover.

IDW Regular Cover by Andrea Freccero:
WDCS_728_cvr-MOCKONLY.jpg?1447855803

This cover is credited to be made by Jonathan Gray in the solicits. But, it was actually made by Andrea Freccero and used for issue 1 of the Paperinik Appgrande series in Italy, which to my knowledge collected past stories featuring Paperinik. Some new stories were supposedly added according to INDUCKS. In addition to that, they have Marco Gervasio credited. But he didn't do this cover either. And it's most likely for the subscriber's variant, but still. This mistake bugs me. I admire IDW's attempt at trying to bring over European talent to the American market but when they make mistakes with the crediting, it really bothers me. And there have been far too many in this month's released solicitations. 

Release Date: Feb. 24, 2016
Pre-Order Code (REG Cover): DEC150511
Pre-Order Code (SUB Cover): DEC150512

Edited by ElectricAngel
  • Thumbs Up 4

• 1 month later...

Bumping just because I recently read the Portuguese edition of I TL 3099-2, a story about Scrooge and Dickie Duck going in one of the typical treasure hunts. It's not much to write home about, but having wanted to see more of her since Brazil doesn't do their stuff much anymore and having wanted to see someone address somehow that she's supposed to be Scrooge's ward of sorts, I quite liked it. It doesn't explore the characters as much as I'd wanted, but hey, if it leads to more stories of them both, I'm glad.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hm, it seems that story has also been published in Greece. I have the issue, but I haven't read it yet. Still catching up on the series. @_@ (I'm so slow). But Dickie Duck seems like an interesting character. I've never really read any stories with her, but since you've said she's a tad rare now, it's nice to see her in more recent publications. 

Now, thank you also for bumping this thread because I wanted to share some news (although a little old). Régis Loisel, Bernard Cosey, Tébo, Lewis Trondheim, and Nicolas Keramidas have joined the Disney Comics team! Four graphic novels are to be published in 2016, inspired by the 30s Floyd Gottfredson comics. 

q2jM0sW.jpg

I'm just in love with this art! It looks so reminiscent of the old newspaper strips Disney had back in the day. I can't wait for the graphic novels to come out, hopefully translated in Greek too. Or English. Either work for me. ^^ It's always great to see new talent come in, and this definitely took me by surprise. I feel Disney is really trying to expand their comic monopoly. First, they revamped and relaunched the comics in Greece (they are SO much better now), then they team up with 3 publishers in America (yes, 3!) IDW, Joe Books, and Papercutz. And now we're getting some new books in France too! This is awesome! Really excited for the future of Disney comics! 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh wow, that's actually huge news- as far as I know that's the first time you have a new producer of Duck Comics since, day, the... Possibly the 60's, even? I suppose there was that one story made in Galiza in 2004, but it was a one-off. A bit mindblowing.

(Darkwing Duck, btw, is considered a separate license, Disney Afternoons.)

• Thumbs Up 1