Awoo.

ElectricAngel

Actually, the game was a retelling of the PK story originally in the comics. The comics have been around since 1969. It's just that recently a new series came out under the title of "The New Adventures".

It's sad though that the US doesn't get many Disney comics. I believe the PK stories are under the title Superduck digitally but there are very few available. I hope Disney decided to release more digitally as there are plenty of great stories around.

Edit: Ninja'd

PK was created in 1969. That's the year his first comic issue was printed. The game is just a very loose (VERY LOOSE) adaptation of the comic book series that ran from 1996 to 2001.

Oh, it's a very loose adaption. Alright then, I guess it may as well be considered a video game reboot instead of adaption.

Edited by SwiftWinds

It's sad though that the US doesn't get many Disney comics. I believe the PK stories are under the title Superduck digitally but there are very few available. I hope Disney decided to release more digitally as there are plenty of great stories around.

Sadly, the stories available digitally in the US are from the horrible reboot ("PK") that completely ignored all enstablished continuity (even the one before the 1996 series. Instead of being the long time superhero of Duckburg, Donald was recruited in some kind of Green Lantern Corps-expy called the Galaxy Guardians, where every member dressed just like him). Don't buy those. They are awful. Trust me.

Sadly, the stories available digitally in the US are from the horrible reboot ("PK") that completely ignored all enstablished continuity (even the one before the 1996 series. Instead of being the long time superhero of Duckburg, Donald was recruited in some kind of Green Lantern Corps-expy called the Galaxy Guardians, where every member dressed just like him). Don't buy those. They are awful. Trust me.

Well damn. Disney really needs to get their shit together in the US. Didn't they have Boom Studios publish in the past? What happened to that deal? Don't tell me they got cut off because Disney bought Marvel. Because that'd be ridiculous.

Well damn. Disney really needs to get their shit together in the US. Didn't they have Boom Studios publish in the past? What happened to that deal? Don't tell me they got cut off because Disney bought Marvel. Because that'd be ridiculous.

That's exactly what happened. That's why the Darkwing Duck comic book series, alongside many others, was cut short.

The name "Fantomiald" cracks me up. I always thought Donald's secret identity was pretty obvious as it is (having the same exact sailor's hat like Donald does and noone else wears in Duckburg, having the same exact car with a different license plate, Donald being the only one who knows Phantom Duck), "Fantomiald" even contains half of his first name! That's hilarious to me. :D

Also, add the german "Phantomias"  to the list of names for Phantom Duck xP

The name "Fantomiald" cracks me up. I always thought Donald's secret identity was pretty obvious as it is (having the same exact sailor's hat like Donald does and noone else wears in Duckburg, having the same exact car with a different license plate, Donald being the only one who knows Phantom Duck), "Fantomiald" even contains half of his first name! That's hilarious to me. biggrin.png

Also, add the german "Phantomias"  to the list of names for Phantom Duck xP

You think that THAT is obvious?

His name in his native country, Italy, is Paperinik. That is, Paperino (Donald's Italian name) + ik, like in Diabolik. He was created as a parody of that character, and in his first stories he was a thief and out-law, not a superhero.

EDIT: Heck, in his first story, "Paperinik Il Diabolico Vendicatore" ("Phantom Duck, the devilish avenger) he didn't even had a mask on.

Oh RIGHT, I completely forgot he had no mask in the first comic!

As for his italian Name - yeah, that is probably even worse than the French one in Terms of Obviousness. The French one just sticks out to me because I always grew up with "Phantomias", so Hearing the same Name with half Donald's Name attached to it is just funny. :D

Out of curiousity, what is Daisy's alter ego called? Paperinika, maybe? I guess it would be fitting if it was equally as obvious. :D

Oh RIGHT, I completely forgot he had no mask in the first comic!

As for his italian Name - yeah, that is probably even worse than the French one in Terms of Obviousness. The French one just sticks out to me because I always grew up with "Phantomias", so Hearing the same Name with half Donald's Name attached to it is just funny. biggrin.png

Out of curiousity, what is Daisy's alter ego called? Paperinika, maybe? I guess it would be fitting if it was equally as obvious. biggrin.png

Yup. Paperinika. Right on spot.

But I hate that character, so I always try to forget her existence.

Yeah, Paperinika's appearences I found either detestable or bearable, there wasn't a story of her I really liked. Shame, she could have potential, but she always seemed so shallow to me.

Speaking of secret identities of other characters - there was this "Ultrahero" Comic in which literally every major character had a secret identity. It was kind of fun, yet kind of odd. I dunno, the fact that they gave everyone a secret identity just cause seemed off to me.

Yeah, Paperinika's appearences I found either detestable or bearable, there wasn't a story of her I really liked. Shame, she could have potential, but she always seemed so shallow to me.

Speaking of secret identities of other characters - there was this "Ultrahero" Comic in which literally every major character had a secret identity. It was kind of fun, yet kind of odd. I dunno, the fact that they gave everyone a secret identity just cause seemed off to me.

That one was a horrible stinking pile of shit. They tried to mimick the American superhero comics and they failed miserably. At least PKNA was something, you know, ORIGINAL, in its own way.

Not to mention that they completely ruined Villa Rosa, the place where Paperinik had his origin, by turning it into a high-tech HQ.

It was something that they clearly created for the American market, no doubt. One of the big hints was in the way Mickey talked to Scrooge McDuck; normally, in Italian stories, Mickey talks to Scrooge in the same way you would talk to an old friend (i.e. he calls him "Scrooge")  In that series of stories, however, he addressed Scrooge by his last name. Just like in the American comics.

You know, it's the same problem I had with Ducktales when I was a kid; Gyro calling Scrooge "Mr. McDuck" instead of using his first name like it's usual in Italy.

I only vaguely remember Superdonald (as he's known in Dutch...yeah great job trying to hide your identity there XP) since he doesn't actually appear in the main comic books. I've never even read his stories, I only recognise the character because I've seen him around a few times on Donald Duck merchandise and of course on this very forum. Apparently, the Superdonald stories are only published in the Donald Duck Pocket books, and that includes the Double Pocket books too which are extra big!

I'd love to read them though if I ever get the chance to, because he looks awesome! =D

Actually, I'm in the UK which pretty much means there is no Disney Comics here plain and simple. I think I actually did get one of the PK issues although I'm not sure but it was a story about Donald being a superhero and being forced to work for The Beatle Boys. It's been a while since I read the story and I can't remember the exact story so I'll fire up my PSP comic app later and reread it. If anyone knows the story I'm talking about, is it a PK story or just another comic series where Donald's a superhero?

That one was a horrible stinking pile of shit. They tried to mimick the American superhero comics and they failed miserably. At least PKNA was something, you know, ORIGINAL, in its own way.

Not to mention that they completely ruined Villa Rosa, the place where Paperinik had his origin, by turning it into a high-tech HQ.

It was something that they clearly created for the American market, no doubt. One of the big hints was in the way Mickey talked to Scrooge McDuck; normally, in Italian stories, Mickey talks to Scrooge in the same way you would talk to an old friend (i.e. he calls him "Scrooge")  In that series of stories, however, he addressed Scrooge by his last name. Just like in the American comics.

You know, it's the same problem I had with Ducktales when I was a kid; Gyro calling Scrooge "Mr. McDuck" instead of using his first name like it's usual in Italy.

I didn't find it too offensive, it was okay when reading it once and not thinking much about it while doing so. My main gripe was the fact that they pretty much devalued Phantomduck and the other original Disney superheroes by making just anyone a superhero - it made them less special for the sake of making a Justice League rip off. The Villa Rosa thing was bullshit as well. I enjoyed seeing the old villains though, so I guess that's a plus..? (just noticing - the more I think about the Ultrahero stuff, the angrier I become. oO)

Also, in the German Comics, pretty much everyone speaks of and with Gyro by his last name, even Donald, who is portrayed as a rather close friend to him, calls him in this polite manner. Never got that.

Also, in the German Comics, pretty much everyone speaks of and with Gyro by his last name, even Donald, who is portrayed as a rather close friend to him, calls him in this polite manner. Never got that.

In the Italian comics Gyro is one of Donald's best friends, if not his best friend relatives aside. One author in particular, Corrado Mastantuono , has made a point to feature Donald, Gyro, and a character of his named Bum Bum Ghigno  (Sergei in German, Μπαμ Μπαμ in Greek ) as the main focus in almost every story he has written.

Donald calling Gyro with his last name is really strange, unless it is some German habit I'm unaware of.

It's really not a German habit. In the Comics with Sergei/Bum Bum Ghigno, Donald STILL talks in the polite manner to Gyro, while he speaks in a normal manner with Bum Bum Ghigno. It is REALLY odd.

Oh, and in case you are wondering,  Gyro calls Donald "Mr. Duck", so it's not one-sided.

I'm not too familiar with Ultraheroes. I'm not even sure when it came out in Greece. It completely flew over my head. All I know is that the story was published in a massive volume alongside Wizards of Mickey, another story I haven't read. But I wouldn't be surprised if Ultraheroes wasn't that good. It looks pretty meh compared to what we already have. Though I did hear people in the US liked it, and considering it was made to mimic US comics, it seems logical.

And as for Gyro, or Κύρο (Kiro) as he's called in Greek is a very close friend with Donald. You mentioned Bum Bum (called Μπαμ Μπαμ/Bam Bam in Greek) is also a friend, and I honestly haven't read a story with him in years. Perhaps I'll see him soon now that I'm just getting back into Disney comics. Though if I recall correctly, he's the clumsy one that gets into trouble, right?

Oh and about how Donald acts towards Gyro in German. Perhaps in Germany they have a thing similar to Greece where when one talks to someone older, you have to mention him/her by their last name as a sign of respect and politeness? Though, it's usually when you're unfamiliar or not on close terms with another. And Donald is close to Gyro, so it wouldn't make much sense either way. Heck, I wasn't even aware he had a last name, because in the Greek publications they always call him by his first name. Not just Donald, but Scrooge, and Mickey too.

And as for Gyro, or Κύρο (Kiro) as he's called in Greek is a very close friend with Donald. You mentioned Bum Bum (called Μπαμ Μπαμ/Bam Bam in Greek) is also a friend, and I honestly haven't read a story with him in years. Perhaps I'll see him soon now that I'm just getting back into Disney comics. Though if I recall correctly, he's the clumsy one that gets into trouble, right?

Oh and about how Donald acts towards Gyro in German. Perhaps in Germany they have a thing similar to Greece where when one talks to someone older, you have to mention him/her by their last name as a sign of respect and politeness?

1) Yes, it's him. The ugly guy with big eyebrows.

2) It wouldn't make sense either way. The way Italian comics portray Donald and Gyro, they are about the same age.

Edit: Speaking of Gyro, his Italian name is nothing short of genius (pun totally intended).

See, in his first appearnce, Gyro's name was just a literal translation of his English name, Giro Rotalibera. But things changed few years after that. His name now (starting with the 60s here) is Archimede Pitagorico. You know, as in  Archimedes of Syracuse and Pythagoras of Samos?

Yep, Bum Bum is the clumsy one. I quite like him. My favorite Scene with him, Gyro and Donald is the one when he and Donald argue against Gyro that a part of France is actually just a part of Duckburg, and when they accidentally end up in France, Bum Bum and Donald act hilariously smug about it while Gyro is speechless.

I always thought Gyro and Donald were about the same age, so that can't be it. You could also argue that, when you speak with a higher intellectual Person, you usually refer to him by his last name, but stuff like this just doesn't apply when you are friends with someone. I kind of get it with Scrooge and Gyro since Scrooge mostly visits Gyro for business purposes (Fixing his Alarm Equipment, looking for inventions he can sell) or Mickey, since they don't know eachother that well, but Donald and Gyro? It makes no sense for them at all to act this way. It's a shame because it makes them feel less close to eachother than they actually are.

Yep, Bum Bum is the clumsy one. I quite like him. My favorite Scene with him, Gyro and Donald is the one when he and Donald argue against Gyro that a part of France is actually just a part of Duckburg, and when they accidentally end up in France, Bum Bum and Donald act hilariously smug about it while Gyro is speechless.

Yeah, that one was a riot. It even featured blatant expies of Tin Tin characters! (seriously, the original Italian called the Tin Tin expy Den Den)

Edit: and when I say "blatant" I mean  "Tin Tin and Company with just a few letters changed in their names"

quezpIp.jpg

"Accidentally end up in France" I'd love to see how that played out. Oh man, I feel so behind when it comes to Disney comics, although I've read my fair share. I wish they'd release some graphic novels containing stories here. Besides "The Big Carl Barks Library" we only get "The Mega Series" which every summer, for a limited time, featured stories published in the weekly Mickey Mouse magazine get their collected in one volume. You can be sure next year they'll have one for "Scrooge McDuck's Last Adventure". 

Speaking of which, the third part of that story came out today along with a side story "The Song of Sirens" in issue #3 of New!Mickey Mouse. Sadly, my local comic book store didn't have it in. Gotta wait 'till tomorrow. But the next issue is gonna have "Fantasma City" as seen in the preview below as well as the final part of "The Last Adventure":

130.jpg

Looks to be really interesting. Some new characters and a (presumably) mysterious new city with... let me guess, hidden treasure? If anyone who's read this story could tell me what it's like, please go ahead. I'm very intrigued in the new stories we're getting over here and I'm really hoping we can get continue the streak of great stories with this new one coming out soon.

Edit:

Edit: and when I say "blatant" I mean  "Tin Tin and Company with just a few letters changed in their names"

quezpIp.jpg

That is amazing. XD Hopefully they didn't cause too much trouble with copyright issues and such?

Edited by SwiftWinds

The story doesn't involve treasure, but I won't spoil too much. I thought the story was alright, had some pretty funny jokes and some fun characters, but it wasn't something special. Still, I'd say it's a good read you'll probably enjoy.

That is amazing. XD Hopefully they didn't cause too much trouble with copyright issues and such?

As far as I know, there were no such things as copyright issues. European comics do that kind of stuff all the time.

The story doesn't involve treasure, but I won't spoil too much. I thought the story was alright, had some pretty funny jokes and some fun characters, but it wasn't something special. Still, I'd say it's a good read you'll probably enjoy.

Oh, well I assumed there'd be treasure since Donald appears to be holding what looks like a treasure map. >_> Maybe it's just something else then. But yeah, it's fine if it's nothing special. It is a side story after all. "The Last Adventure" is the main event, and if "Fantasma City" is enjoyable, then i'd be fine as a little something extra.

• 9 months later...

This thread will liiiiivveeeee! Can't believe all the sweet IDW stuff was lost from the server wipe but hey, I'm still gonna cover the solicits. 

So here we gooooo! IDW July 2015 Disney comic solicits!! Now for some reason, when the solicits get released on CBR, they don't include all the covers. I will update this post as the rest of the covers will get revealed. And yes, I will spoiler them so the post won't be massive.

Uncle Scrooge #4

"The Grand Canyon Conquest" Part 1 of 2: When an old Klondike debt spirals out of control, Scrooge fears his fortune will be colonized by con men!

Writers: Miquel Pujol, Dick Kinney, Jonathan Gray

Interior Artists: Miquel Pujol, Al Hubbard

Cover Artist: Miquel Pujol

This issue features part 1 of the story "Grand Canyon", originally published in Germany in 1986 in issue #5 of Abenteuer aus Onkel Dagoberts Schatztruhe # 5 (Uncle Scrooge's Treasure Adventures). The story received an average rating of 7.5/10 from readers.

Original publication cover:

bZYQvEL.jpg

IDW Subscription Variant by James Silvani:

MJTCUkn.jpg

IDW Retail Initiative Cover by unknown artist:

oDsOAqP.jpg

Donald Duck #3

"The Siege of Nothing Atoll": When an island dwelling mad scientist sics his super-weapons on Scrooge's Money Bin, it's up to Donald to take the bad guy down!

Writer: Giorgio Pezzin

Interior Artist & Cover Artist: Giorgio Cavazzano

This issue features the story "Zio Paperone e le rapine ecologiche" (Uncle Scrooge and the Environmental Robbery), originally published in Italy in 1976 in issue #1070 of Topolino (Mickey Mouse). The story received an average rating of 7.4/10 by readers.

6x5r8z2.jpg

IDW Subscription Variant by Derek Charm:

ng5rmSg.jpg

Mickey Mouse #2

"The Sound-Blot Plot": When the evil Phantom Blot fries Mickey's eardrums with a high-tech laser ray, he unwittingly gives Mickey super hearing!

Writers: Bruno Enna, Bill Walsh, Joe Torcivia

Interior Artists: Giorgio Cavazzano, Manuel Gonzales

Cover Artist: Dave Alvarez

This issue features the story "Topolino e il dilemma parabolico" (Mickey Mouse and the Parabolic Dilemma), originally published in Italy in 2009 in issue #2784 of Topolino (Mickey Mouse). The story received an average rating of 7.4/10 by readers.

WTDUELC.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Dave Alvarez:

LtLRtGG.jpg

IDW Subscription Variant by Amy Mebberson:

M3cCy1O.jpg

IDW Retail Initiative Cover by James Silvani:

YnRtR7i.jpg

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #721

"The Search For the Zodiac Stone," Part 1 of 12: In the start of a legendary Disney epic, Mickey and Goofy seek a mystic treasure that will soon ensnare Donald, Scrooge, and the Phantom Blot! Wild short stories with Donald, Gremlin Gus and more round out our first big issue!

Writers: Daan Jippes, Freddy Milton, Walt Kelly, Bruno Sarda, Jonathan Gray, Thad Komorowski

Interior Artists: Massimo De Vita, Daan Jippes, Freddy Milton, Al Taliaferro

Cover Artist: Jonathan Gray

This issue features part 1 of the story "Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale" (In Search for the Zodiac Stone). Part 1 was originally published in Italy in 1990 in issue #1780 of Topolino (Mickey Mouse). The complete story received an average rating of 7.7/10 by readers.

YExrxXB.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Jonathan Gray:

R5Cql0H.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Amy Mebberson:

jYtnboJ.jpg

IDW Retail Initiative Cover by unknown artist:

NbJn1xU.jpg

Also yes, I plan on doing this every month. This post took forever but I don't care. I enjoyed making this post and I wanna spread some Disney comic love around SSMB. If I mistranslate anything please let me know. And I know it may be a bit redundant to translate the original titles when IDW provides the already translated and localized ones but I feel it's a fun way to see how they changed from the original title to English. Some didn't change much, and others did so I find that interesting enough to share.

Edit: Added final version of Walt Disney's Comics and Stories' #721 cover, and added the actual subscription variant. Seems I mixed up the RI cover with that one.

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #721

"The Search For the Zodiac Stone," Part 1 of 12: In the start of a legendary Disney epic, Mickey and Goofy seek a mystic treasure that will soon ensnare Donald, Scrooge, and the Phantom Blot!

Writers: Daan Jippes, Freddy Milton, Walt Kelly, Bruno Sarda, Jonathan Gray, Thad Komorowski

Interior Artists: Massimo De Vita, Daan Jippes, Freddy Milton, Al Taliaferro

Cover Artist: Jonathan Gray

This issue features part 1 of the story "Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale" (In Search for the Zodiac Stone), originally published in Italy in 1990 in issue #1783 of Topolino (Mickey Mouse). The story received an average rating of 7.8/10 by readers.

IDW Regular Cover by Jonathan Gray:

IDW Subscription Cover by Amy Mebberson:

OHSHITSHITSHITSHIT!

That's one of Disney Italia's finest comic book ark! 12 issues, each one with a different main character. Think about that "Legend of the Chaos God" American guys got in the 90s but done right.

Also, episode 5 (or was it 6?) features Paperinik in the main role. Wonder how they'll translate his name this time. Duck Avenger? Phantom Duck?

Edit: Only now I notice Duck Avenger's mask lying at Donald's feet in that cover. Nice touch. Also, how are the two scientists with the time machine called in this version? Their original Italian names are Zapotec and Marlin.