Awoo.

ElectricAngel

OHSHITSHITSHITSHIT!

That's one of Disney Italia's finest comic book ark! 12 issues, each one with a different main character. Think about that "Legend of the Chaos God" American guys got in the 90s but done right.

Also, episode 5 (or was it 6?) features Paperinik in the main role. Wonder how they'll translate his name this time. Duck Avenger? Phantom Duck?

Edit: Only now I notice Duck Avenger's mask lying at Donald's feet in that cover. Nice touch. Also, how are the two scientists with the time machine called in this version? Their original Italian names are Zapotec and Marlin.

One of the best arcs and I missed it because I wasn't into Disney comics back when it was published in Greece. :V I might be able to find the graphic novel of it though... 

But yeah I kinda figured Paperinik would be featured because of the regular cover. As you mentioned, you can see his mask. I am honestly hoping they will name him Phantom Duck. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I think it's the best of the names he's gotten around the world. Duck Avenger just sounds generic. Hm.. maybe I could send a tweet to Jonathan Gray and ask him... 

Also hey hey hey! Uncle Scrooge #1 came out in the USA. Does anyone from SSMB living in the States get the issue? I'm curious as to how they put it all together. I'm sure it's great quality but I still wanna hear reviews from people. >_< I have to wait 1-2 months to get mine because you know.. international customer and all.

One of the best arcs and I missed it because I wasn't into Disney comics back when it was published in Greece. :V I might be able to find the graphic novel of it though... 

But yeah I kinda figured Paperinik would be featured because of the regular cover. As you mentioned, you can see his mask. I am honestly hoping they will name him Phantom Duck. Maybe it's just nostalgia but I think it's the best of the names he's gotten around the world. Duck Avenger just sounds generic. Hm.. maybe I could send a tweet to Jonathan Gray and ask him... 

Not to mention that you can shorten that name to PK, just like you can with his Italian name.

Not to mention that you can shorten that name to PK, just like you can with his Italian name.

True. Also one thing I never mentioned about the Greek comics. They hide his identity better in them. I'm not sure how it is in the Italian or English publications, but in the Greek ones, Duck is a last name. So when Donald refers to Phantom Duck, he says "My friend Phantom" which is not suspicious at all. I feel they could do that with the English version too if they were to use that name. 

True. Also one thing I never mentioned about the Greek comics. They hide his identity better in them. I'm not sure how it is in the Italian or English publications, but in the Greek ones, Duck is a last name. So when Donald refers to Phantom Duck, he says "My friend Phantom" which is not suspicious at all. I feel they could do that with the English version too if they were to use that name. 

Eh....I'm not gonna lie, even though Paperinik is my favourite superhero period. His name is a son of his times, when characters like Diabolik and phantom thieves in general were huge in Italy. His name is just Donald's Italian name, Paperino, with a -ik at the end, thus Paperinik. Whenever we read his stories, we don't ask why Duckburg people are so stupid they can't figure that out. Because that's how things are. In his more "serious" stories, the ones from PKNA,  this is just ignored, with the full name of the hero rarely mentioned and by using the abbreviation PK in its place.

Because seriously, Paperino going "My friend Paperinik" is still stupid no matter how you put it.

lol in the Dutch Donald Duck comics, they just call him Super Donald. That's even more generic than the Duck Avenger IMO, and it totally spoils the identity. XD Same goes for Daisy's, who is called Super Katrien (that's Daisy's Dutch name).

I got two Pocket books with tons of Super Donald stories when I visited Holland a few weeks ago actually. I'm always mesmerised by how popular the character is there! Tons of Pocket books, various comics to collect...sometimes I really wish I was living there again.

Sooo, Jonathan Gray replied to me and confirmed it's going to be Duck Avenger. Looks like it's just to keep things consistent. It doesn't really bother me that much though. I mean he does refer to himself as "The masked avenger of the night", (at least in the Greek publications) so Duck Avenger makes sense in that regard. 

Sooo, Jonathan Gray replied to me and confirmed it's going to be Duck Avenger. Looks like it's just to keep things consistent. It doesn't really bother me that much though. I mean he does refer to himself as "The masked avenger of the night", (at least in the Greek publications) so Duck Avenger makes sense in that regard.

His Italian title is "the devilish avenger", so it's not far off.

So, I got a copy of Uncle Scrooge #1 in Australia from my local comic shop on Friday. (Australia gets new comics slightly later than the US) And, for someone who's a brand new reader of Disney Comics in general, this issue has made me want to keep reading this one and the other ones they have coming out (Donald, Mickey). The page count of the issue is I think 44 or 48 pages devoted to story. (I think it's 44 though). The issue has 3 stories (I assume each future issue and the other series will have this structure for each issue as well). Also, even though it's issue 1 of the IDW Uncle Scrooge, the issue is also issue 405 of the old series.

So, I got a copy of Uncle Scrooge #1 in Australia from my local comic shop on Friday. (Australia gets new comics slightly later than the US) And, for someone who's a brand new reader of Disney Comics in general, this issue has made me want to keep reading this one and the other ones they have coming out (Donald, Mickey). The page count of the issue is I think 44 or 48 pages devoted to story. (I think it's 44 though). The issue has 3 stories (I assume each future issue and the other series will have this structure for each issue as well). Also, even though it's issue 1 of the IDW Uncle Scrooge, the issue is also issue 405 of the old series.

Yay! A new fan on board! I'm glad you enjoyed the small taste of what the world of Disney comics has to offer. I, too, am looking forward to everything else IDW is publishing as it seems they really know what stories to pick out for these first few issues. Or rather, Jonathan Gray does. Or whoever is in charge of selecting stories. :L

I have a question though, what's the overall format of the comic? Do they give you any background on where the stories originated from or what people were involved? And what's the paper quality like? Do they also mention any plans for a fan section like letters and fan art similar to the way Archie does it? I know IDW is a different company but still...

Let me give some brief answers to those questions. First one, at the start there's in an intro page telling who the story name, the translator and the writer. But, If you want know if they give where they originated from, I don't think they do that. perhaps another look through would be good for that one. Next, the paper quality. I've never read a comic from IDW before, but I do think the cover feels pretty nice. The pages inside feel good but paper quality is a subjective thing. Also, at the end there is a column with some text from the editor but no letters, at least, not yet. I imagine it will turn into a letters page though. Also, if you're interested, the actual stories have no ads. They're at the end.

Also, the overall format is two normal length stories  (I'm not sure about page count)  and the second one is a one page strip thing.

Let me give some brief answers to those questions. First one, at the start there's in an intro page telling who the story name, the translator and the writer. But, If you want know if they give where they originated from, I don't think they do that. perhaps another look through would be good for that one. Next, the paper quality. I've never read a comic from IDW before, but I do think the cover feels pretty nice. The pages inside feel good but paper quality is a subjective thing. Also, at the end there is a column with some text from the editor but no letters, at least, not yet. I imagine it will turn into a letters page though. Also, if you're interested, the actual stories have no ads. They're at the end.

Also, the overall format is two normal length stories  (I'm not sure about page count)  and the second one is a one page strip thing.

Ah, ok. If the original writer is credited, that's fine. It's rather nice they put an intro page. And the fact that they have all ads at the end is nice too. I find myself bothered by Archie's constant need to put an ad every few pages. Sounds like IDW knows how to do it right. But yeah the text from the editor at the end, that's usually where letters are. I assume after the first 4 or so issues, they'll start putting letters there. 

Man, 44 pages feels so... small. I haven't seen Disney comics in such small magazines since the late 90's when the Mickey magazine was cancelled here. Otherwise, 120 pages is the minimum :V

Maybe 44 pages are the norm in America. But are those magazines monthly? 44 pages per month? Seems a little...too little.

I mean, we have "Topolino", weekly, 120-140 pages. Maybe Americans aren't too used to the weekly format?

I think this has to do more with how the American comic book market is. I believe there is a rule that comic books need to be a certain size (as in dimensions) and certain length (number of pages) and have to be monthly. At least, that's the only reason I can think of. Because in Europe you see comics of all sorts of different sizes and lengths. 

Maybe 44 pages are the norm in America. But are those magazines monthly? 44 pages per month? Seems a little...too little.

I mean, we have "Topolino", weekly, 120-140 pages. Maybe Americans aren't too used to the weekly format?

From what I know, this is actually larger than usual, it's normally some 26 or something.

There's no regulation on periodicy or size as far as I know, Marvel has some biweekly comics like Spider-Man, Archie does those big reprint issues of old Archie stories. It's more how the publishing culture evolved, basically. That said, considering that these IDW comics will mostly be reprints as far as I know, I WAS expecting something a bit bigger, I think.

Eh. I guess it isn't that odd even to the Disney context- as I mentioned, some 20 years ago shorter mags were more common, instead of nowadays where the minimum, in Portugal at least, is a biweekly 160.

Still, the Archie ads are way better than how often Marvel have ads in their books. Also, most American comic books are 32 pages long although there are longer first issues. Also, the 32 pages counts the ads I think not just the story.

Okay, so straying away from American releases for now, I've been wondering about a certain comic book series named W.I.T.C.H. Hoo, the nostalgia just came flowing back.

Anyway, yeah. W.I.T.C.H. It's a comic book series made in Italy and I know for sure many have at least heard of the animated adaption that was airing on Jetix way back when. I was wondering if anyone here had read the original comics? My sister used to read them often in the early 2000s and I only got to read 1 or 2 issues (she was stingy and didn't let me touch them :U). However now I'm tempted to check out the series again after a loooong while. In Greece the series has been made available to purchase again, so I may buy the first few issues to see what it's like.

Any SSMBers here have any history with this series? Comics or animated adaption? I used to be obsessed with the show back in the day. And funnily enough, I thought it was American produced. I dunno why, but back when I was young I just assumed stuff like the PK comics and W.I.T.C.H. were from the US since Disney is an American company. A lot of this stuff is European produced which is quite impressive, I must say. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay so looks like there's zero interest on the W.I.T.C.H. comics here on SSMB. Oh well.

Moving on to Uncle Scrooge #1 and #2. I got both issues around a week ago. I'm really impressed with the quality of these titles. The books are sturdy, the paper is nice, and the format is great. Story after story with no interruptions until the end. One thing that stuck out to me is just how fat these comics are. They are huge! Even Uncle Scrooge #2 which had less pages still felt packed. At least, for American comic standards. 

One thing that threw me off a bit was the amount of references in these stories. Oh my god. I don't hate them but it was a tad strange at first. But I guess it's to give the American releases their own identity? Or so that kids can get more fun out of them? I dunno, but it was still a strange but nice surprise. You can tell they're not going for a 1 to 1 translation here, but it works. I can't recall exactly what references there were but I believe they were all Disney related, mostly to DuckTales and the old Disney shorts. 

It's honestly a bit of a pain getting the comics here and I missed the pre-order deadlines for the June and July ones so the last one I have on order I believe is Donald #1 and maybe #2? I'm not sure. I still plan on collecting these, though. My inner Disney fangirl needs as much Disney merch as possible. And the comics count as they are collectible and fun to read!

Really though, if there are any American or Canadian SSMBers looking to dive into the world of Disney comics, I'd highly recommend IDW's lineup. They are doing a fantastic job so far! (And I kinda need more people posting in this topic :V)

One thing that threw me off a bit was the amount of references in these stories. Oh my god. I don't hate them but it was a tad strange at first. But I guess it's to give the American releases their own identity? Or so that kids can get more fun out of them? I dunno, but it was still a strange but nice surprise. You can tell they're not going for a 1 to 1 translation here, but it works. I can't recall exactly what references there were but I believe they were all Disney related, mostly to DuckTales and the old Disney shorts. 

...yeah, they were probably put in for American audiences only. Rarely they have references to the old Disney shorts (some of them are handwaved as being part of a particular character's younger days) in the Italian stories, and they never used characters or concepts from Ducktales.

...yeah, they were probably put in for American audiences only. Rarely they have references to the old Disney shorts (some of them are handwaved as being part of a particular character's younger days) in the Italian stories, and they never used characters or concepts from Ducktales.

Yeah same with the Greek ones. Also there was apparently a Gundam reference in the first issue? Someone pointed it out on Twitter and Jonathan Gray made a happy response that someone got the reference. Having not seen Gundam it flew over my head so I guess it was really subtle.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Latest Issue news time: Uncle Scrooge #3. Now this is slightly interesting. Unlike the last two issues of the series, this only has 2 stories in it. The first one is Duckburg 100 which is a full 32 page story I think and the next one is a two page short story about Donald called Donald's Gabby Quest. No Idea why there's only 2 stories this month. I also have Donald Duck #1 but I haven't read that yet. When I do, I'll edit this.

So, Latest Issue news time: Uncle Scrooge #3. Now this is slightly interesting. Unlike the last two issues of the series, this only has 2 stories in it. The first one is Duckburg 100 which is a full 32 page story I think and the next one is a two page short story about Donald called Donald's Gabby Quest. No Idea why there's only 2 stories this month. I also have Donald Duck #1 but I haven't read that yet. When I do, I'll edit this.

Huh. Well Scrooge #1 and #2 had 3 stories but one of the three were short. So I'm guessing they just had slightly longer stories? Maybe each was 2? 

Anyway, my issue of Donald #1 just shipped last week so I'll probably get it later this month. (Or in August since I'll be in Greece for summer :V) But yeah I didn't get the chance to pre-order any of the other issues. I'll get them later this year though. It's kinda tough getting American comics, especially with no subscription service. 

Also I can't believe I missed last month's solicits. Urgh, I was in Italy when they were released with no form of Internet access so I'll just post them now.

IDW Disney Comics Solicits for August 2015:

Walt Disney's Donald Duck: The Newspaper Comics, Vol. 1 

From the Disney Vaults! The early Donald Duck daily strips are collected for the first time ever! The daily newspaper comics premiered on February 7, 1938, and within eight weeks became the all-time fastest growing syndicated comic strip in the world. This premiere volume includes more than 800 sequential daily comic strips from 1938 to 1940 drawn by Al Taliaferro and written by Bob Karp, and reproduced from pristine original material in the Disney Vaults!

Writer: Bob Karp

Cover and Interior Artist: Al Taliaferro 

Cover:

rU6cVzO.jpg

Donald Duck #4 

Sick of the mayhem that his temper wreaks, Donald seeks "The Perfect Calm" from a remote mountain guru. But duck-eating yetis may get in the way!

Writer: Rodolfo Cimino

Interior Artist: Romano Scarpa

Cover Artist: Dave Alvarez

Subscription Cover Artist: Derek Charm

Jeez, I really have no idea what story this is. I couldn't even find it on Inducks. :U If anyone knows, tell me so I can update this. Gosh, I feel bad I can't find the original story.

IDW Regular Cover by Dave Alvarez:

V1R3GPY.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Derek Charm: 

pR5eT9p.jpg

Uncle Scrooge #5

"The Grand Canyon Conquest" wraps this month with a pulse-pounding cliffside showdown between Scrooge and schemers!

Writers: Miquel Pijol and Freddy Milton

Interior and Cover Artist: Miquel Pijol

This issue wraps up the story "Grand Canyon", which part 1 was included in Uncle Scrooge #4. It was originally published in Germany in 1986 in issue #5 of Abenteuer aus Onkel Dagoberts Schatztruhe (Uncle Scrooge's Treasure Adventures). The story received an average rating of 7.5 from readers. 

IDW Regular Cover by Miquel Pijol:

EWJjFzl.jpg

IDW Subscription Cover by Derek Charm: 

LeVLllx.jpg

Walt Disney's Comics and Stories #722

Mickey battles Scorpion Valley's giant bugs in Part 2 of the epic "Search for the Zodiac Stone!" Then it's Scrooge versus Beagle Boys in a new Freddy Milton tale!

Writers: Bruno Sarda and Jonathan Gray

Interior Artists: Massimo De Vita, Freddy Milton, and Al Taliaferro

Cover Artist: Giorgio Cavazzano

This issue continues the story "Alla ricerca della pietra zodiacale" (In Search for the Zodiac Stone) with part 2 out of 12. Part 2 was originally published in Italy in 1990 in issue #1781 of Topolino (Mickey Mouse). The completed story received an average rating of 7.7/10 by readers. 

Original Publication Cover:

b7eIdCX.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Giorgio Cavazzano:

8xcJVwP.jpg

IDW Retail Incentive Cover by Derek Charm:

plZqu9c.jpg

Edit: Wow, my post was so big it didn't fit everything. :V Gonna make a second post continuing stuff.

Double posting because my last post was too massive apparently. Continuing from last time with the IDW solicits:

Mickey Mouse #3

"The Mysterious Crystal Ball" can tell Mickey anything—even where crimes are about to strike! So why does our adventurous Mouse smell a rat?

Writers: Carl Fallberg and Floyd Norman

Interior Artist: Paul Murray 

Cover Artist: Jonathan Gray

This story is actually a strange inclusion. It originates from the USA and was published originally across issues #203 and #204 of Walt Disney Comics and Stories back in 1957. A bit odd to reprint a story that was already published in the USA but I assume it's just rare? Anyway, the story originally had the title of "The Crystal Ball Quest" which I actually like better. The story received an average rating of 7.4/10 by readers.

Original Publication Covers:

5OskO6B.jpg

dbhoSqB.jpg

IDW Regular Cover by Jonathan Gray:

U65dXip.jpg

Uncle Scrooge: Pure Viewing Satisfaction

The adventures of Uncle Scrooge return in these kid-friendly-sized collections. Includes the stories "The Wraith of Gigabeagle," "Shiver Me Timebers," "The Duckburg 100," and more!

Writers: Jonathan Gray, Rodolfo Cimino, Jan Kruse, Romano Scarpa, and Joe Torcivia

Interior Artists: Romano Scarpa, Bas Heymans, and Tony Strobl

Cover Artist: Derek Charm

So here we have Volume 1 of the Uncle Scrooge trade paperback series. Looks to be collecting 3 issues at once instead of the typical 4. Unless IDW does 3 at a time normally, I'm not too familiar with them. Since these include previous stories already covered in the solicits, I won't bother talking about them and just present the description and cover. 

Vol 1 TBP Cover:

OFnHd4v.jpg

And now time for a little something new! Introducing the

International Spotlight!

Yup, you heard that right. Why look at just Disney comics published in the USA? I think it would be fun to present some foreign stories in this thread. If any new, big story comes out at any part of the world the same time IDW solicits come out, I'll be presenting them here. They'll mostly be Italian or Greek since those are the ones I follow mostly but that doesn't mean I won't be looking at others too. Anyone can post about stories from their country (or even translated versions) or PM me to include them in next month's spotlight. So without further ado, here we goooo!

Italian Spotlight:

Topolino #3107 featuring "Le strabilianti imprese di Fantomius – Il nobile dietro la maschera", or "The Amazing Adventures of Fantomius - The Noble Behind the Mask" (correct me if I'm wrong, Nald :L). 

Writer and Artist: Gervasio Marco

Cover: 

O3X6sl3.jpg

Fantomius is one of those Disney characters you don't see much in comics these days. He's had a story every now and then, but he used to be who we know now as PK, Paperinik, or Phantom Duck. Donald Duck's superhero alterego in other words. At least, that's what I've been told from people who have read his stories. Now, I have yet to read a Fantomius story. Greece had one last year but I was unable to get my hands of a copy of the issue. It was sold out everywhere. Even the publisher didn't have any copies left, so that goes to show just how popular his stories can be. So I can imagine this is a big deal. Having no access to the Italian books and so far with no information on this issue yet online I can't say what it's about or what it's like but I'm sure some Italian Disney comic fans can share their insight on the story. Looks to be pretty exciting though, judging by the cover. 

Greek Spotlight: 

Μίκυ Μάους #51 featuring "Φάντομ Ντάκ - Μάχη στον Ωκεανό" or "Phantom Duck - Battle in the Ocean"

Writer and Artist: Andrea Freccero 

Cover:

gDSvWbz.jpg

So, last week Greece started publishing the 4 part story "Paperinik sull'oceano scombinato" (Paperinik and the messed up ocean I think?) originally published in Italy in July 2013 in Topolino starting with issue #3006. The complete story got an average rating of 7.2/10 by readers. So far I've seen people rave about how good the story is and the folks at GreekComics Forums are giving the parts a 7.5 to 8.0 (so far 2 have been published). Can't wait until I go to Greece next week and read the story for myself. ^^ I always love a good Phantom Duck story. 

Edit: Okay wait what? Now the forum combines your posts if you double post? That's convenient.

• Thumbs Up 1

Italian Spotlight:

Topolino #3107 featuring "Le strabilianti imprese di Fantomius – Il nobile dietro la maschera", or "The Amazing Enterprise of Fantomius - The Noble Behind the Mask" (correct me if I'm wrong, Nald :L). 

Writer and Artist: Gervasio Marco

Cover: 

Fantomius is one of those Disney characters you don't see much in comics these days. He's had a story every now and then, but he used to be who we know now as PK, Paperinik, or Phantom Duck. Donald Duck's superhero alterego in other words. At least, that's what I've been told from people who have read his stories. Now, I have yet to read a Fantomius story. Greece had one last year but I was unable to get my hands of a copy of the issue. It was sold out everywhere. Even the publisher didn't have any copies left, so that goes to show just how popular his stories can be. So I can imagine this is a big deal. Having no access to the Italian books and so far with no information on this issue yet online I can't say what it's about or what it's like but I'm sure some Italian Disney comic fans can share their insight on the story. Looks to be pretty exciting though, judging by the cover. 

In this case, "Imprese" should be translated as "Feats, or Adventures". Because that's what he does in his stories. He steals stuff, humiliates both the police and the upper crust of Duckburg, and always gets away with it.

By the way, Fantomius and PK are two completely different characters. In his origin story, Donald became Paperinik after finding the secret diary of the (now dead) gentleman thief Fantomius, who lived during the first half of the 20th century in Duckburg.  The "Adventures of Fantomius" stories are focused on the guy who later became Donald's inspiration. In this particular story, we are shown Fantomius' origin and why he became a thief, the terror of Duckburg.

But how said origin is depicted is nothing short of poetic. Here's Donald becoming Paperinik for the first time, and Lord John Quackett becoming Fantomius for the first time. Notice any similarities, even if you don't speak Italian?

vPFB6gZ.jpg

"Donald the persecuted dies, and from his ashes, Paperinik, the devilish avenger, is born!"

In this case, "Imprese" should be translated as "Feats, or Adventures". Because that's what he does in his stories. He steals stuff, humiliates both the police and the upper crust of Duckburg, and always gets away with it.

By the way, Fantomius and PK are two completely different characters. In his origin story, Donald became Paperinik after finding the secret diary of the (now dead) gentleman thief Fantomius, who lived during the first half of the 20th century in Duckburg.  The "Adventures of Fantomius" stories are focused on the guy who later became Donald's inspiration. In this particular story, we are shown Fantomius' origin and why he became a thief, the terror of Duckburg.

But how said origin is depicted is nothing short of poetic. Here's Donald becoming Paperinik for the first time, and Lord John Quackett becoming Fantomius for the first time. Notice any similarities, even if you don't speak Italian?

"Donald the persecuted dies, and from his ashes, Paperinik, the devilish avenger, is born!"

Ok, edited. I had a feeling it would be Adventures since it would make sense but I didn't know Italian so it was a 50/50 guess. 

And wow, those are some stark similarities. I had no idea of Fantomius' origin, as I just took the word of a German student at my school who used to religiously read the Donald Duck comics. Apparently in the German version (according to him), Paperinik is still called Fantomius and is seen as the "new generation" Fantomius. Sort of similar to how you said that Donald got inspired by Fantomius. In the German version he took his name as well, and just changed his outfit. If the original Fantomius died, I can assume Donald wanted to keep his legacy alive by taking on his role. And that makes a bit more sense than becoming a new superhero, actually. Bravo, German writers.

Also, oh lordy, I should know this stuff about Paperinik's origin. X( I bought a graphic novel called "Phantom Duck - The Birth of a Legend" in Greece last year. 

g3y54OD.jpg

And surely enough, after flipping through a few pages I see this. :P

Jo2uK8N.jpg

Also there's one story with Fantomius and yeah, Donald seems to be in the same shot as him so that basically confirms they are indeed different people. 

14pWcgh.jpg

I should really get to reading all the graphic novels I bought. I haven't touched a single one yet. But since it's summer now, and I have no school I guess I'll get to reading it today! 

• Thumbs Up 2