Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

As if most FPS games voice chat channels aren't flooded with inane bullshit, some guy singing/loudly playing music over the mic, or whatever. 

Most people aren't going to be cooperating with you. Occasionally yes, but the average pub player? no fucking way. 

Another option would be to have a "quick chat" option where you can ping teammates. On Battlefield 4 for example, a lot of people don't actually use the voice chat but the ping system. That's a game that has what, over 64 players on a map at a time and not a single one is using voice chat?

Mmm. Or like in CS where the basic macros (going B/A whatever) usually do the job. If Splatoon even requires you to tell people stuff that the game itself doesn't already tell you that would be a good way of doing it.

It seems to me the game is being designed around not having to need voice chat in the first place, a lot of the mechanics are very clear, as your player goals and it seems to me it'd be pretty hard to not contribute to the team if you're playing it- so even as a new player you probably don't need someone shouting down a mic telling you what to do. 

That's is what game admins are for. That is what you hire moderators for. That is what bans are for.

You can't hire moderators to sit in on voice chats for thousands upon thousands of games just to filter out  if some idiot was calling another idiot a cock fucking shit stain or whatever. It's completely impractical. 

Every game lobby is supposed to have one person who can kick players or ban them. Usually the person who started the lobby.

What makes that player suitable to moderate? What's stopping them from being an asshole themselves? You can't kick out king asshole if he's holding the boot. 

Making every game an ogliarchy isn't exactly fun, which is why gaming on shitty servers on PC is horrible. 

• Thumbs Up 2

It's better than nothing. I never had problems with it on Halo PC, and on the rare occasion I did I just picked a different room.

You're going to run into shitty people in online gaming no matter what you do, there's no universal solution to it.

Every game lobby is supposed to have one person who can kick players or ban them.

Woah woah woah...

Game lobbies????

One step at a time Solkia. You're going too fast for Nintendo.

• Thumbs Up 8

Shauna actually just reminded me that I kind of want to get a pro controller for Splatoon. It looks so nice to use and it would be perfect for this kind of game. Problem is, I don't have much money to spend what with this and Batman releasing soon. Would anyone happen to know a place selling pro controllers on the cheap?

Shauna actually just reminded me that I kind of want to get a pro controller for Splatoon. It looks so nice to use and it would be perfect for this kind of game. Problem is, I don't have much money to spend what with this and Batman releasing soon. Would anyone happen to know a place selling pro controllers on the cheap?

There's a Bestbuy coupon going out to get 10% off a controller. Back when the Wii U came out, the controllers were less than $25 a piece. Sales are incredibly rare now unfortunately. The great thing is the Pro Controller is amazing. 80 hour battery life is just phenomenal.

Pro Controller is pretty decent yeah. I didn't like the stick placement or the "triggers" but otherwise it's solid.

All aboard the Game Truck!

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/251199-splatoon-nintendo-partners-with-gametruck-this-summer-press-release

Splatoon- Nintendo partners with GameTruck this summer press release

Apr 16, 2015 by br26

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo and GameTruck are teaming up to deliver truckloads of squids and ink to parties across the country this summer. Starting this June, the entire fleet of more than 100 GameTruck vehicles will be splattered in the bright, bold colors of Splatoon, the upcoming action shooter video game exclusively for Nintendo’s Wii U system. The vehicles will all feature ink splashes and squid characters called Inklings from the game. And on the inside, some TVs on every truck will be outfitted with a Wii U system and the game.

GameTruck delivers a fun video game experience to major metropolitan areas in 25 states around the country. The trucks bring gaming experiences directly to private consumer events and parties with over 100 trucks fully equipped with the latest video games. There are even game experts on board to give tips, tricks and training. The trucks roll right up to the location of the party to provide a no-hassle way for party planners to give their attendees a fun experience they’ll never forget.

Splatoon gives players the goal of covering as much territory as possible with their ink-spewing weapons. The game, which is scheduled to launch exclusively for Wii U on May 29, features four-on-four online team matches, as well as a full single-player mode that takes players deeper into the game’s unique world and characters.

The inky action of Splatoon delivers a burst of fun to any party. GameTruck’s onboard Splatoon experts are ready to run kids through a rigorous Splatoon Training program, arming them with the best strategies to take them to victory. The birthday kid will also receive a Splatoon series amiibo figure, while supplies last.

Although the trucks with Splatoon won’t hit the road until June, party planners can start reserving them now. For more information about how to reserve a GameTruck packed with Splatoon fun, please visit www.gametruck.com. For more information about Splatoon, visit http://splatoon.nintendo.comor contact:

Kathryn Green Kristie Tomkins

Golin Golin

415-318-4308 213-438-8730

kgreen@golin.com ktomkins@golin.com

Splatoon is getting a Wii U Deluxe bundle for US. US bundle will be exclusive to Best Buy and features download codes for Splatoon and Nintendoland pre-installed on the system, will be available May 29th (same date the game launches). Europe is getting a bundle too, in contrast to the US version it launches June 19th and features a retail copy of Splatoon and a trial for Wii U Karaoke.

Press release statement on US bundle from Business Wire below.

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--People who can’t wait to get their tentacles on Nintendo’s upcoming action shooter, Splatoon, are in luck! The Wii U Special Edition Splatoon Deluxe Set launches exclusively in Best Buy stores across the country and online at BestBuy.com starting on May 29. This inkredible bundle includes a Wii U Deluxe console and both the Splatoon (via included download code) and Nintendo Land (pre-installed) games for a suggested retail price of only $299.99.

Splatoon is a wild new game from Nintendo that combines the creative and family-friendly fun Nintendo is known for, with ink-spraying, turf claiming action. In the game, players take on the role of the Inklings, customizable characters that can transform into squids at the touch of a button. After splatting opponents and covering a level with colorful ink, players can transform into squids and swim quickly through their own ink or use it to take cover and hide from enemies.

Splatoon overflows with lots of ways to play: Teams of players from around the world will enjoy the frenetic four-on-four online “Turf War” mode, which tasks players to cover the most ground with their team’s ink while using the Wii U GamePad controller to see a top-down view of the map as it is covered in ink in real-time. Ranked Battle, which will be made available a short time after launch, will offer skill-based online rule sets, while in “Battle Dojo,” players enjoy local one-on-one matches with friends. Splatoon also features a robust single-player campaign that cleverly teaches players how to splatter, swim, leap, hide and climb walls, all using ink to try to thwart the nefarious Octarian army. Players can also use Splatoon amiibo figures (sold separately) to gain access to special challenge stages that will make it possible to earn special gear not found elsewhere in the game.

Splatoon and the Wii U Special Edition Splatoon Deluxe Set launch on May 29. For more information about the game, visit http://splatoon.nintendo.com/.

You know what? I'm good for previews on this game. I'd actually seen more than enough to want to pre-order it back when it was announced last year, but now I'm just not gonna bother watching anything else.

Who wouldn't want a gamepad that looks like it has ink splat on it? That would be rad.

Glad to see a Splatoon bundle, I only wish it was a Splatoon themed Wii U with ink splatters all over it. =P

So while voice chat is an arguably passable feature.....this is not;

Splatoon to not include custom lobbies

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1034170

I.....what the actual fuck Nintendo?! This is a standard feature in games like this, and has also been featured in Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros. How are you supposed to play with friends now if not locally? I think this has killed a fair chunk of the hype I had for this game, really disappointed actually. There go my plans of playing it on release with friends. :(

EDIT: There might still be friend lobbies, but you are relegated to using the options given to you.

• Thumbs Up 3

This news, if true could potentially derail any hope for a SSMB tourney too.

Reinventing the Shooter genre Nintendo? By removing key online features? I know they don't think much of online titles but come on.

• Thumbs Up 2

This better be fucking patched in after EAD-2 realise how fucking dumb this decision is.

EDIT: I'm also dumb.

It doesn't matter which development team it is. Its 2015 and Nintendo still don't know what online is.

• Thumbs Up 1

So even if they do include friend lobbies, you will not be able to change options that should otherwise be variable, such as match time and things like that. Not sure about changing modes either, but leaving out custom lobbies and voice chat has somewhat deflated my hype for the game. The main aspect of the game is that it is a multiplayer shooter. Why is it missing features that other multiplayer shooters have had for years? I have no idea why Nintendo are so adamant about doing this, it's not innovation, it's degradation.

I'm sorry Splatoon, but you're trying to be a online game without all of the features that make online games both enjoyable and engaging with friends. That's totally not something I would pay 60 bucks in my book, so until Splatoon offers any alternative options for online play or the game itself has even more substancial content to be worth 60 bucks, this is off of my radar. A lot of announcements regarding Splatoon have seem to be nothing but news regarding them not adding features available in so many shooters that have been out for years.