Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

Oh my lord, just gave Splat Zones a quick whirl and my team got absolutely creamed every time. The first couple of tries, we didn't even get a single point! It's definitely a much more intense and skilled mode than Turf War, I can see why they locked it away until you reach Level 10.

Note to self: get good!

I made level 9 last night.  I got the Kraken because people kept killing me with it, but I can't figure it out.  I turn into the beastie and then collide with people (on the other team, yes,) and  . . . nothing happens, until I eventually turn back kidwise and they kill me.  How do I take someone out as the Kraken?  Every time I tried, I just lay there drilling against the opponent (who didn't have a shield) until I turned back into a kid and they killed me!  So I mostly just splatted people with the roller, which is especially fun when you didn't know they were there.

Finally got a fair percentage of runs with folks who knew what was about, though; last night most everyone was into marking turf more than hitting the other team.  Still a few where everyone ran off past the midpoint and left no trail behind though.

Yeah I didn't know how to attack as the Kraken at first either, hehe.

Ranked Battles sound pretty difficult! I have to share the Wii U so I'm not level 10 yet, but I'll get there eventually.

On the subject ofadding new things over time... I think it's a great idea. If they put everything in at once I'd get burned out pretty quickly. But with the smaller amount of content and adding things in later, I always come back for more. Unlike MK8 where I stopped playing after doing the Grand Prix's and didn't start again until the DLC released.

I'll admit that I haven't played too many Ranked Matches (Maybe six or seven), but I have won most of them. It's fun and Splat Zones is definitely a different dynamic from the basic Turf Wars mode but I'm not sure I find it as enjoyable despite loving serious competitive play.

I went in thinking I'd have to switch weapon load outs since the Krak-On Splat Roller and Rollers in general seemed like they'd be useless but they aren't. You just have to play them much differently. You kind of have to trust your other team members to push ahead and hold the fort down while you build up your Special bar for Kraken. After that you use Kraken to shift the tide when needed and help maintain control of the zones. On the fly switching between building Special and maintaining control is the name of the game for Roller and probably every other load out honestly.

…did the update change anything?

The main hubs framerate was ironed out and runs a bit faster.

There was also a bug that got patched involving being able to basically get free rerolls on abilities at level 20 due to Judd giving you cash after going to Spyke for said rerolls.

I've given up on Ranked Battles. The highest I managed to get was a C rank which I struggled to hold on to. I guess turf wars is my only true calling. *sigh*

Even though I do enjoy Splat Zone, I find it a tad annoying that you don't get jack if your team get "knocked out". There were many matches where the other team stole a win when my team got 10 seconds left and no one got any battle points. It felt that your efforts doesn't really matter and you just wasted your time. It honestly discouraging for a newcomer.

I do feel ranting a bit for now.

The fuck was the idea of putting Shuffle all the time in ranked? why can't they made a Party System. i lost 20 in streak because of some idiots Japanese players with less common sense when it come to king of the hill. overall am pretty done for this mode, not worth of my time.

also am fucking playing all the time with Japanese, give me some NA players for fuck sake.

The fuck was the idea of putting Shuffle all the time in ranked? why can't they made a Party System. i lost 20 in streak because of some idiots Japanese players with less common sense when it come to king of the hill. overall am pretty done for this mode, not worth of my time.

also am fucking playing all the time with Japanese, give me some NA players for fuck sake.

I feel the shuffle system is probably there to stop creating a party and boosting your rank by playing with friends who are better than you are. 

What time of the day are you playing online? That's kind of a major factor. I always get matched with a wealth of foreign players either really early in the morning or late a night because I'm in Eastern.

I feel the shuffle system is probably there to stop creating a party and boosting your rank by playing with friends who are better than you are. 

eh i wont say shit. but none of my partners in shuffle weren't good mate.

When the game lacks voice communication, getting ticked off at having to play with Japanese players is kiiiind of a teensy bit racist so you should prolly get over that.  You've probably played with people from all sorts of countries but you're only noticing the Japanese players because they have Japanese names.  You've prolly played with a bunch of JP players with English text names too and thought nothing of it.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've played with plenty of Japanese players and they've performed about as well as another other nationality of player would. You were probably just grouped with bad players who happened to be Japanese. I will also agree on your sentiment sounding...well....a bit racist to say the least.

What's everyone's opinion on playing Turf Wars with 2-3 people on your team against a full team of 4?

At first it seems a little unfair, but on some matches we still won with less people and it does kind of give a challenge.

I finished story mode, will do the Amiibo challenges when I have the time (yes, I got the three-pack), and I started playing multiplayer after that, wearing the Hero Headset, the Octoling Armor, and the Hero Shoes, the combination actually looks pretty sweet, and just the standard Splattershot Jr. is serving me as well as it did during the Testfire.

Also, I've been getting MvPs all but once in my experience. Even the one time my team lost I still had the best score.

• Thumbs Up 1

Splatoon sold 144k (Media Create) / 156k (Famitsu) units in Japan it's first week and moved around 17,000 Wii U units.

Game is currently heavily supply constrained in Japan.

I haven't tried out Ranked Battles yet. I suck enough when I play ranked battles. XD

I'm still trying to find a weapon I'm comfortable with, but as of now, It looks like it might be the Splattershot Pro. I've covered good ground with the paintroller, but so many people use it. At one point, while playing around with the paint roller, I found myself on a team with nothing but paintrollers... I still can't believe we actually won that one...

Finished story mode.  Wow did the finale live up to the hype regarding both it's awesomeness and intensity!  There was so much hype I was starting to doubt it'd manage it but nope, totally did.

My only disappointment with the story mode was the soundtrack really.  It's all good stuff but did get a bit repetitive and lacking in atmosphere.  I don't think 5 songs was quite enough to spread across 27 levels.  I admit there is a charm that harkens back to the old soundtracks of NES games where something like that was the norm, but... still.  I also found the music overall weaker than the online Battle music.  The online music is like, quirky but damn cool.  The Single Player music is all quirky and a lot more video-gamey lol.  I missed the cool factor.

Other than that the ending kind of surprised me in the sense that:

We get all this depressing backstory that honestly made me pity the Octolings just a little bit, and yet at the end... despite the fact that Inklings and Octolings used to get along, the Octolings are left still living underground, they still have no power, their society is still collapsing... and the Inklings are like "yep good".  And considering the Octolings chose to invade and steal over asking for help, the Inklings have every right to feel that way but... I guess I really expected the Inklings to be the bigger people and find a solution where both parties benefitted or... something!  But nope it was pretty much a straight up good vs evil story in the end lol.

Dang that credits music (and artwork!) was so so good though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Man! I'm having a lot of fun with this game! I've beaten the single player not too long ago and I'm still putting the work in for the multi-player. I feel ready to write a review about this game.

But for now, I just wanted to say that despite whatever little nitpicks I have. I'm going to playing this game for quite some time. Especially for the multi-player! I'm still trying out as many weapons as I can, and came to the conclusion to while I can make the charge weapons work a little, I'm definitely more of a rapid fire kind of player. So anything from the Splattershot Jr to the Aerospray guns works well for me. The only other weapon I feel good using -- that doesn't shoot rapidly -- is the Blaster. It gets results since it doesn't use a lot of ink and hits hard, but it's lob-like shot can be problematic sometimes and it's so-so for covering ground.

And yet another one! This time in Splatoon's style.

CGDiQFRUoAIL5Dx.jpg

Costume, when.

Ink's happening! (Does that work as a pun?)

Anyway, we're getting a costume, in Japan, that is.

Maybe it'll get in the west? Is Squid Girl even a thing here?