Awoo.

Splatoon! Bow to your immortal queen, and indisputed best girl- Marie

YoshiUnity

I named my amiibos after the Pac Man ghosts.

Squid Girl is Inky

Squid Guy is Blinky

and Squid Squid is Clyde

I don't even know why.

I did a few online matches though.  Two of which were with higher level players and my team destroyed them on the last match and I got MVP to boot.  Feels good man.  Still level 3 though and totally unfresh and stuff.

Splatoon is pretty much perfect for me.  The art direction and music are top notch.  The gameplay is a delightful spin on TPS's while still keeping a lot of the things that made those so fun to begin with.  The Miiverse integration is super cool too with drawings being converted into graffiti art all around the world.  Also, Gyro Controls master race is the best control scheme for anything and anyone who chooses otherwise should feel bad.  Depending on how the post-release support goes, it might be one of my most favorite games ever.

Also this game's lore is hysterical.  I'm definitely going to find all the Sunken Scrolls in single player.

He said hell in mine. o .o How strange.

Minor language can actually push ESRB ratings forward in America, it's that stupid.

the ESRB used to be more lenient. They allowed words like damn to slip by in some Mega Man X games (including the Mega Man X Collection) and even Puyo Pop Fever. ESRB gave them E ratings.

Now? Not so much from what I can tell. I can't blame them, honestly, and in fact, I'm surprised they let it slip in the past.

IGN gave its verdict http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/05/27/splatoon-review 7.9 seems a little low and again with the voice chat complaints. Is it me, or do they seem obsessed with it?

I'd give it a 7.5 tbh, the lack of maps and modes is kinda jarring, and yes, the lack of voice chat is still an issue. There's not working around how big a misstep that is. Maybe once the game has all of its content patches by August it'd be an 8. Maybe 8.5.

when Call of Duty comes around, IGN might lower the review score for too much voice chat 

7.9 seems fair, though the voice chat complaints are very where now. Yes it's a crying shame that there is no voice chat but if anything that would just knock one point off for me. The real issue is the lack of content at launch, which knocks another point off for me. So an 8/10 from me, and maybe I'll bump the score up to 9 when more content is added. The game is a hell of a lot of fun though, I played all day yesterday and intend to do the same today.

Nintendo should really just create a party chat option for Wii U though.

I can't believe Sonic and SEGA were playing Splatoon today. 

tumblr_np6e8hNnEe1tlfjtro1_r1_1280.jpg

On another note, loving Splatoon so much. I have a few minor issues here and there, but certainly not enough to ruin my experience of a great game. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Got the game yesterday and properly spent a good few hours with the game today - and I'm loving it! Not had this much fun with a Nintendo game since Mario Kart or Smash Bros, and I've certainly never been so invested in a shooter before. Usually I find the genre to be incredibly dull and generic, but here, I'm jumping into turf wars like nobody's business!

Blasted through the single player campaign from beginning to end and it is a delight. The bosses are really inventive - particularly the final battle - and the stages themselves are full of creativity, bringing in unique concepts and tossing them aside before they grow stale, very akin to the Mario Galaxy games and 3D World in recent memory. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I was going to and it's a very worthwhile addition to the title, and an excellent means of training for the multiplayer modes.

Tried out a few amiibo challenges as well (after all the fiasco of the GAME lorry hijacking, I'm pleased to say I managed to get my hands on all three of the Splatoon amiibo!) and they add a nice spin to the single player levels, plus the extra cash and gear is a welcome reward for shelling out for the figures.

I'm sure the turf wars will grow a bit repetitive with the limited handful of stages eventually, but Mario Kart 8 had a similar burnout period as well - as long as I pace myself and don't go too mad with the online battles, I feel confident the game will keep me going for a long time to come... and when the new added content arrives, well, Nintendo will definitely be onto a winner!

Tell me if anyone agrees with this idea.

I think Nintendo needs to make the spawn shield protection cover a bigger area to make it more fair. So many times I had to deal with the opposite team ganging up on the spawn point and killing whoever steps of the spawn point. I think Nintendo should make the shield bigger to avoid this and make it where the opponents can't enter that area, to make the game more fair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iCLyOfKMFk

Peebins loves Splatoon. Makes me wish I had a Wii U for it.

So I unlocked the robot armour from the Squid Amiibo today, and it looks awesome. I like the perks it gives you as well, such as the shorter spawn time. I also switched from the Splat Roller to the Aerosplat MG, and I'm doing much better with it. It's good for stopping rollers, so it's somewhat ironic for me to be using one now...

Tell me if anyone agrees with this idea.

I think Nintendo needs to make the spawn shield protection cover a bigger area to make it more fair. So many times I had to deal with the opposite team ganging up on the spawn point and killing whoever steps of the spawn point. I think Nintendo should make the shield bigger to avoid this and make it where the opponents can't enter that area, to make the game more fair.

While I haven't had to deal with this myself, I assumed the idea was if the other team are doing this, they're easy pickings for you as you shoot from within the shield.  If they can hit you, you can hit them, more or less.

Wouldn't go amiss to have the shield deflect damage back on anyone who shoots it, maybe, to prevent snipers at least.

Does anyone else dislike the camera control in this game? I find it too erratic. Even so much as slightly moving the gamepad will make the camera go all over the shop and with no proper lock on feature (at least not from what I've seen so far) both stages and boss fights can become more frustrating than fun.

You can adjust the camera sensitivity or disable the gyroscope controls in the options and just use the right analogue stick instead.

Some things that do bug me:

-You can't set your color for the hub/singleplayer. I understand that for teams you're a specific color, but it's kinda weird when you're not on a team.

-No way to go back to the title screen. I was confused on how to "save and quit" the first time I booted up the game, eventually figured out I could just quicksave by doing pretty much anything anywhere, and then I could just close the game.

-You can't skip the Squid Idols cutscene on launch/map rotation. That'll get annoying real fast... In fact it already has.

-Finding the new stages can be kind of confusing, since there's little indication of where they are.

-Lackluster amount of content for the price (I'd argue part of the problem is that ranked battles and modes other than turf war/friend lobbies should've been features from launch). 

Things I like:

-Gender, skin and eye color customization.

-The miiverse posts being grafitti on things, or conversations from players in the hub.

-The difficulty curve and how new mechanics are introduced pretty much every level.

-The creativity and fun of the game despite of being a shooter (I find most shooters to be very much fitting the same kind of mold).

-The collectibles offering some replay value for the admittedly short (but really fun) singleplayer campaign.

-The bosses are fun and creative, and moderately challenging.

All in all, I do think that this game is very good. Like any game, it has its shortcomings. To me though, the game's problems are very "weird" ones, because they're pretty much things that are staples of other games of its kind. But I guess that's Nintendo- breaking the mold, and not always in the best ways.

• Thumbs Up 1

Does anyone else dislike the camera control in this game? I find it too erratic. Even so much as slightly moving the gamepad will make the camera go all over the shop and with no proper lock on feature (at least not from what I've seen so far) both stages and boss fights can become more frustrating than fun.

• Thumbs Up 2

Have to say that Splatoon's single player mode's final boss was absolutely creative and a blast to fight. Love how you must use everything you've learn throughout the campaign to take him out.

God how can anyone play with gyro controls off

like I cannot use this game without gyro controls

Honestly it's a bit weird though. I've never been too big a fan of gyro controls but playing without them in this game is near impossible for me.

I've managed fine. More than fine really. Using gyro controls disrupts how I normally hold the controller, and as such have never really found them too great unless I'm holding the Gamepad up vertical instead of horizontal, and even then I'm still not using them to that great an effect.

Considering I used them on two of three testfire's, as well as about half of my time yesterday, you'd think I'd have got used to them. Instead I'm still having better success with just the dual sticks.

Maybe it's just me though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly can't imagine going back to standard shooter controls after this. It was weird at first, but the gyro just feels so much more responsive and accurate at high speed than fiddling around with the thumbsticks.

• Thumbs Up 2

I use a combo of the gyro and thumbstick.  I can get faster and wider left/right swings by using both, and the gyro by itself is great for vertical shifts.  I'm having a great time with the game - my main complaint is that I had so much going on this weekend that I can't get a lot of block time to play - but on the other hand, that forces me to spread it out some, which is probably a good thing.  (At least, I'll keep telling myself that! ;) )  Amiibos should arrive Tuesday, so I can check those out then.

My biggest problem with console shooters is just plain accuracy. It's hard tor really adjust aiming to your liking, and I've just gotten accustomed to shooters with a keyboard/mouse set-up that going to a controller is kind of a pain. The motion controls do take some getting used to but it seriously benefits Splatoon for the better: It gives me the accuracy that I need to skillfully play the game. 

I got the game, and it's fun so far. Feels like an older game...which I have absolutely no problem with.

The camera is a tad wonky, though. Got used to it fast enough, though.

I should ask, though; why do you need to connect to the internet simply to shop? I could understand it for being for additional items some time after release, but just shopping, period?

Otherwise, though, I'm having much fun.

I got the game, and it's fun so far. Feels like an older game...which I have absolutely no problem with.

The camera is a tad wonky, though. Got used to it fast enough, though.

I should ask, though; why do you need to connect to the internet simply to shop? I could understand it for being for additional items some time after release, but just shopping, period?

Otherwise, though, I'm having much fun.