Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

So does Lyric sing?

If he doesn't I'll be so disappointed.

NO SING NO BUY!

Ps. He's pretty awesome though.

This early footage definitely has a clumsiness to it. I hope things are more ironed out in the final game, and if SEGA listens, maybe things can be sped up a little.

So the 3ds game reminds me of Sonic Generations 3ds with the graphics (but with way more detail) and Sonic Rivals with the gameplay, looks pretty good though. The wii u game on the other hand looks well like a standard cash in brawler, which is kinda sad even though I don't have a wii u, I still think the 3d console game should be better than a 2d handheld game and true 3d doesn't mean it better, but generally in this day and age it usually is.

Wow the Speed levels look incredibly shallow and automated, even more so then Unleashed, not a fan.

Hmmm, I'm actually really diggin' the general look of both versions.

Though I'm not pleased with how in general they both look pretty slow aside from designated speed areas. And Amy gets kidnapped on 3DS so we're stuck with Sticks in her spot? Fuck that noise.

3DS version looks uncomfortable, but the idea of a Metroidvania Sonic doesn't sound so bad.

Wii U version looks like it'd be fun in it's own right, but not a really good Sonic game.. as I've said before. Also, baBOOM, I was right about the speed sections being mostly automated. Game's looking pretty slow, clunky and brawler-oriented right about now. At least the amount of personality in the cutscenes and background talk seems to shine a bit (the "rings nomnomnom" thing though... ewwwww, ewwwwwwww).

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm disappointed in the pace of the Wii U version, I'm still hoping they'll be good games in their own merits but man the combat looks slow and repetitive and I'm usually not about that at all. I hope they know what they're doing.

3DS version looks.. interesting. It also looks kinda ugly though.

As expected, the game seems fun enough but not really much of a "Sonic" game. Oh well, still looks like it'll be worth buying i guess

Can't watch the videos right now because my internet is slow.

I don't really like Lyric. He doesn't look like a Sonic character.

The Wii U description doesn't fill me with hope. We knew it'd have more combat and stuff, but I don't want that to be the main focus. We'll see, I guess.

Going by the screenshots and description, the 3DS version is like Sonic Rush, which could go either way. I liked the Rush games, though they aren't totally what I want from Sonic games.

“This is a new Sonic, with gameplay built on action-adventure and collaborative play. They are unlike any previous games featuring the iconic blue blur,” said Hiroyuki Miyazaki, Chief Content Officer for the Sonic Bran, SEGA of America.

Oh my God.. Sonic cereal!

• Thumbs Up 5

This is cool, I guess.

Was hoping for something more out of the 3DS version. As it is, it kinda sounds like Subspace Emisarry from Super Smash Bros Brawl.

WiiU version on the other hand, I'm waiting for more on before I even think of saying anything.

The game really doesn't look appealing. Hope they fix the graphics. The new models for Sonic and co. look much better though. The boss battles look like fun as well.....but it just seems like something that will be panned universally.

Urgh not liking that huge emphasis on combat talked about.  Also the villian looks kinda generic to me - after how spot-on they got Sticks' design to fit in the Sonic world, Lyric looks like he could've come out of any vaguely steampunk platformer series.

The speed gameplay and 3DS gameplay looks nice - though the 3DS could do with stylising its environments more, trying to pull off the "stylised realism" look does not work with lower-grade graphics - it just looks dreary and lifeless.

• Thumbs Up 1

This Lyric reminds me of Thaddeus E. Klang, a menacing villain from Talespin

klang05.jpg

Who. under his armor, looked like a real snake

Thaddeus_E._Klang%27s_defeat.jpg

"The characters move very slow, and I kept looking for a run button"

I think I'll be skipping this one.

• Thumbs Up 4

Welcome to stage 2 of the Sonic Cycle ladies and gentlemen, not even different developers can change fate.

• Thumbs Up 2

So Amy is a playable strong fighter in the Wii U version but becomes a non-playable, damsel in distress character in the 3DS version. Are you for real, SEGA.

• Thumbs Up 8

Why did SEGA think it was a good idea to bring back Werehog gameplay? Even the enerbeam screams Werehog's stretchy arms to me.

3DS version looks like a lot of fun, but Wii U version looks really disappointing. Slow-paced gameplay, focus on combat, poor platforming and automated speed sections? Not what I expect in a Sonic game.

EDIT:

Also disappointed to see Amy being a damsel in distress in the 3DS version.

More previews.

ScreenShot0000_1401485539.jpg

Sonic still looks bad. The way he's running looks like a parody. laugh.png

• Thumbs Up 3

The Wii U version looks pretty cool. The brawler style kinda reminds me of the Arkham games, if only because I was playing Arkham City just now. It look like a lot of fun though. The speed sections seemed pretty automated, but what little platforming was there looked interesting. I'm also digging how you can platform with Amy.

In contrast, I'm not feeling the 3DS version too much. It looks less interesting, more sluggish, and the graphics suck even by 3DS standards. I know the system is capable of much better. Also, those "rival" races which remind me of a certain game...

Sonic_Rivals.jpg

...egh.

Sticks seems to be a 3DS exclusive. Her gameplay looked pretty interesting, having a boomerang you're incomplete control of for a limited time (again, like the remote control batarang in the Arkham games).

Overall, though, I wasn't too impressed. I'm looking forward to the Wii U version way more than the 3DS version.

>mfw everyone was outrighted told from the start that there would be combat emphasis and people act shocked at said combat emphasis.

Its almost like this is a spin off and not a mainline Sonic game, but that can't be right :V

• Thumbs Up 4