Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

>mfw everyone was outrighted told from the start that there would be combat emphasis and people act shocked at said combat emphasis.

Maybe people expected some fast-paced combat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Its almost like this is a spin off and not a mainline Sonic game, but that can't be right :V

Welll....technically it's not in a way.

>mfw everyone was outrighted told from the start that there would be combat emphasis and people act shocked at said combat emphasis.

That's not the point, Soniman.

People want different things from different series. This was told from the start that it would be different from Sonic, but people put hope that it'd have some resemblances. Of course people who came for a somewhat different Sonic game (like a faster game with faster combat) are disappointed it's completely different all around! 

The game itself doesn't look horrible, but it definitely isn't what people had come for. This is standard Jak-era Naughty Dog plus automated segments. It may suit to whoever, specifically kids who watch the show and Jak-era Naughty Dog fans, but not to who was looking for a Sonic game. I'm surprised that you're surprised.

• Thumbs Up 5

What an absolutely dreadful-looking game.

Spin-off or not, this looks like it's going to be a massive potato.  Even the previewers seem to struggle to say nice things about it.

I'm shocked that no one making this game seems to grasp that being fast and being combat intensive aren't mutually exclusive.

• Thumbs Up 1

The more I look at it, the more I wonder why SEGA didn't just create a new IP for this. Oh yeah, money... :-/

• Thumbs Up 5

I honestly can't tell if I like this or not.

On one hand, this ain't Sonic the Hedgehog.

On the other it's not supposed to be in the traditional sense.

But the soul of Sonic should still be there.

But maybe it kinda is?

But doesn't really look like it.

But maybe it's fun its own right, I mean it's kinda cool lookin'.

But also kinda shit looking at the same time.

But mayhaps it's fun?

But mayhaps it's not.

Eh...

• Thumbs Up 5

Welll....technically it's not in a way.

NO WAI, You mean this isn't a spin off? You're blowing my mind man :o

People want different things from different series. This was told from the start that it would be different from Sonic, but people put hope that it'd have some resemblances. Of course people who came for a somewhat different Sonic game (like a faster game with faster combat) are disappointed it's completely different all around! 

The game itself doesn't look horrible, but it definitely isn't what people had come for. This is standard Jak-era Naughty Dog plus automated segments. It may suit to whoever, specifically kids who watch the show and Jak-era Naughty Dog fans, but not to who was looking for a Sonic game. I'm surprised that you're surprised.

I know right, its almost like this isn't a Sonic game, but a derivative of it.

Real talk though, I seriously can't figure out why people were expecting something along the lines of a mainline Sonic game, when we were told from the very beginning that this isn't a mainline Sonic game. If the gameplay itself doesn't appeal to you, then fine, but god..getting upset over something we were told months in advance is lol to me.

Gameplay looks alright, but nothing really special. I really want to try the combat for myself being a fan of the likes of Ratchet and Clank and all, so I'll keep a close eye, still not really wowed though.

• Thumbs Up 6

Looks a lot like Sonic Unleashed to me in terms of gameplay style, and that isn't necessarily a bad thing, if they fix the clunkiness that's associated with that I honestly think it could work.

I'm loving everything about this game the more I hear about it. The gameplay looked very fun to me, though I'm mainly talking about the exploration and combat areas; the speed areas look more like something out of Colors. I enjoyed the little in-game dialogue I got to hear, and Lyric looks like a cool villain (very Ratchet and Clank-esque, but I'm not complaining. I'm very glad I got a Wii U, especially since I'm not too impressed with the 3DS screenshots.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm loving everything about this game the more I hear about it. The gameplay looked very fun to me, though I'm mainly talking about the exploration and combat areas; the speed areas look more like something out of Colors. I enjoyed the little in-game dialogue I got to hear, and Lyric looks like a cool villain (very Ratchet and Clank-esque, but I'm not complaining. I'm very glad I got a Wii U, especially since I'm not too impressed with the 3DS screenshots.

The 3DS screenshots look terrible, but the gameplay looks fun.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just hope that, being a western based developer, BRB are more than eager to take criticism on board? Esp at E3 if they get some less-than-stellar feedback. Of course the game could turn out great but right now it doesn't massively look it.

Also yeah we knew it'd be combat focused, but since when does combat inherently mean "regularly stopping the action for slow paced fights against hordes of samey enemies"? They could have at least tried to go closer to Bayonetta or MGR and make the "combat focus" actually exhilarating? But right now it just looks like time padding, it doesn't look very "fun". I hope I'm wrong.

• Thumbs Up 7

Basically what Omega said, I have to ask again, did people really expect something vastly diffrent then what was shown? I was expecting basically what I got. A JD esque platforming game with Sonic elements, I guess others where expecting some more Sonic stuff but yeah, im just not all that shocked by what we seen. It's basically everything I kinda guessed it would be.

I had to watch the 3DS video on mute because I'm at work so didn't catch that.

Amy isn't playable in the 3DS version?  She's a damsel in distress?

Wow fuck off Sanzaru Games.  That was the version that actually looked okay too.

Real talk though, I seriously can't figure out why people were expecting something along the lines of a mainline Sonic game, when we were told from the very beginning that this isn't a mainline Sonic game. If the gameplay itself doesn't appeal to you, then fine, but god..getting upset over something we were told months in advance is lol to me.

I play a Sonic game to play as Sonic The Hedgehog, not Jak and Daxter.

• Thumbs Up 7

I was expecting the 3DS version to have more...3D and Exploration. Guess Portable Sonic games are going back to 2D Rush-esque after LW's fail.

Slightly more in-depth complaining:

SBWiiU:

The speed sections are basically Unleashed, only shit(...ier). It's either 2D or quickstep-3D, and either autorun or might as well be, so it's everything I've complained about in the boost games. The "adventure" sections are slow, flat, combat-focused, slow, and also flat, basically the antithesis of what I want out of Sonic. Although the guy in the video calls the jokes funny, some of what we hear is fucking cringeworthy. Also, hey, it's apparently glitchy as shit. Even if they say it's still early and they'll surely fix it and blah blah blah I've heard enough of that out of this series. If they can't even make a stable demo I do not have faith in the final product.

SB3DS:

This actually has some resemblance to a Sonic game, but it's barely more than surface level. There's some springs and dash pads and rails and you can homing attack, but that's about it. Sonic doesn't spin, and the levels are flat and blocky. The characters' abilities look boring and flow-breaking, and the extreme focus on exploration feels like it's going to get in the way of any kind of fluidity too. The tube stages are just more stripped-down boost gameplay, and the rival races look like a stripped-down Rush. I'm inclined to call this the better of the two Booms, but I still don't see any reason to care about it.

So, basically Boom is everything I don't want and everything I worried it would be. The best thing I can say about it is that my expectations are so low that I can't possibly be disappointed in it.

• Thumbs Up 8

So, Amy's been kidnapped in the 3DS version. Wonder if this'll work like Knuckles' kidnapping in Chronicles and she'll become playable mid-game.

Basically what Omega said, I have to ask again, did people really expect something vastly diffrent then what was shown?

I was expecting a good-looking game.

• Thumbs Up 2

I play a Sonic game to play as Sonic The Hedgehog, not Jak and Daxter.

Then I guess its a good thing this isn't a traditional Sonic game is :P

So, Amy's been kidnapped in the 3DS version. Wonder if this'll work like Knuckles' kidnapping in Chronicles and she'll become playable mid-game.

Considering the character select menu looks packed with 4 characters, I seriously doubt it.