Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

In the video that GameXplain uploaded of the 3DS, I'm pretty sure I saw a 3D level. Maybe there are both 2D and 3D adventure levels? I really hope so, that would be the icing on the cake for me.

You mean that autorun level that might as well be a special stage?

Yeah.

I'm not even sure I should bother with this since it seems like you're actually trying to avoid the point.

We knew from the get-go that Boom would be different, and not least because it would be slower with a focus on combat. To some that was a problem in itself. But to others, myself included, that was room for an exciting change. The actual result though is painfully slow to the point it doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to a Sonic game outside of the limited speed sections. And the combat is as shallow, frequent and repetitive as the Werehog, with the same arbitrary platforming shoe-horned in in a meagre attempt to break it up. That's too much change. And regardless of how different it is, it doesn't look like anything more than a generic TV/movie tie in platformer, you know, the constant atrocities that sell on name alone only to kids who don't know better. 

Nobody is "blaming the game for not being something it was never trying to be". We're blaming the game for looking shit.

Yes, you are. Complaining about speed in a series that isn't and won't focus on speed is just holding it to the standards of the main franchise. Again, the M&L series can be criticized for not having enough platforming, and be deemed boring, but only when holding it to the standards of the main series. You're blaming it for not being something it's not trying to be, which is unfair.

The battle frequency would be a valid complaint, if it wasn't a trailer that mashed sections together to emphasize on one point only. Naughty Dog and Insomniac devs know how to space out the combat and platforming sections well enough, so I doubt this will be true for the actual stages. The combat looks amazing from what I've seen, and the platforming from certain screenshots looks abundant and fine and dandy.

So no, from what it's trying to do, it's not absolutely terrible. It's just your focus on the main series is altering your viewpoint.

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if they didn't want game footage out because it's from a previous build? And E3 will show the game as it currently stands?

Or the people they gave the demo to just weren't supposed to post gameplay footage, just their commentary?! :D

Yes, you are. Complaining about speed in a series that isn't and won't focus on speed is just holding it to the standards of the main franchise. Again, the M&L series can be criticized for not having enough platforming, and be deemed boring, but only when holding it to the standards of the main series. You're blaming it for not being something it's not trying to be, which is unfair.

The battle frequency would be a valid complaint, if it wasn't a trailer that mashed sections together to emphasize on one point only. Naughty Dog and Insomniac devs know how to space out the combat and platforming sections well enough, so I doubt this will be true for the actual stages. The combat looks amazing from what I've seen, and the platforming from certain screenshots looks abundant and fine and dandy.

So no, from what it's trying to do, it's not absolutely terrible. It's just your focus on the main series is altering your viewpoint.

He hasn't said that...  He doesn't like it because it looks so poorly executed. 

He's even said on several occasions that he hasn't had a problem with the lack of focus on speed.

• Thumbs Up 5

In the video that GameXplain uploaded of the 3DS, I'm pretty sure I saw a 3D level. Maybe there are both 2D and 3D adventure levels? I really hope so, that would be the icing on the cake for me.

There will be auto-running 3D tube levels which GameExplain described as Temple Run-esque.  Looks to be "Unleashed gameplay as described by people who don't like Unleashed" stuff.

But he's Sonic's most powerful enemy yet!

I can't believe a Snake cosplaying as Bomberman act zero is this game's chief antagonist. Oh well, hopefully they make him a proper character. At the very least he's got to be better than the Deadly Six.

If we're talking the Wii U version, then I totally get what you mean. It's that exact same sort of uninspired 3D platformer with one little gimmick tacked on. It's much like Pac Man Ghostly Adventures. All the same sort of tat.

Yeah I was talking about the Wii U version, the 3DS version reminds me more of Rivals in that it looks okay but nothing I'm seeing makes me want to invest time in it.

You mean that autorun level that might as well be a special stage?

Yeah.

It's an auto run stage? Aww shucks. :(

Oh well, the adventure stages look fun anyway.

Just to say, Mario & Luigi have plenty of platforming in them and their battle systems are built around that.

He hasn't said that...  He doesn't like it because it looks so poorly executed. 

He's even said on several occasions that he hasn't had a problem with the lack of focus on speed.

That comment was directed more towards everyone rather than only him, but yeah, I guess I dun goofed.

Though I saw both a dash move and the spindash executed outside of a ramp, and there are multiple aerial and ground attacks you can use, so I don't see where he's coming from.

Just to say, Mario & Luigi have plenty of platforming in them and their battle systems are built around that.

Bowser's Inside story sure didn't have a lot of it. And... how is the battle system built around platforming if it's a basic RPG fight sequence?

• Thumbs Up 1

I will say though, that the American nature of this game is showing through the choice of villain. How do I mean?

Well, obviously they feel Eggman is too goofy to be a serious villain. So, in line with what SatAM (and earlier, SEGA America) did, they made a new one. This time around not being a new variant of Eggman.

This also speaks to the Jak influences, I think. While Ratchet villains usually have lots of comic relief, Jak villains are pretty serious from start to finish. On the flip side, Crash villains are also fairly wacky... but so far it looks like Boom is going the way of Jak with its villain.

I've only played the first two, mind you, but the "platforming" in M&L is hardly controlled the same way and doesn't have nearly as significant an impact on the overall gameplay as in the main series Mario games.  So, no, I don't think the brief platform sections, most of which only resemble Mario in spirit and not in gameplay, make it any better in terms of successful deviation.

• Thumbs Up 1

One thing I don't understand is people saying "it's not a Sonic game."

You see the title? Yes it is.

It's been labelled as part of the Year of Sonic. Yes it is.

It's not a part of the MAIN series but it's still just as much a Sonic game as Shadow the Hedgehog. So criticism about it being too slow is perfectly justified as well, it is a Sonic game.

• Thumbs Up 3

Guys remember when Sonic was running over water? Now that we have these reveals and know more of the gameplay style I wonder what that will be? Will be be in a normal stage>, most likely, will it be an autorun?, most likely no. Why I think this is because Sonic is moving in the straight line and does quick step (maybe that was an earlier build so I could be wrong) but I think maybe power ups like the say a speed increase power up (seeing as these games are supposed to have upgrades and things) kinda like Sonic can lightdash after getting the shoes. Also why are people complaining about upgrading Sonic through upgrades in SA1, SA2, Unleashed, their wasn't much a problem with this. I get that you don't want it like secret rings, yeah that'd be bad. But otherwise I didn't see much problem? ?_?

I will say though, that the American nature of this game is showing through the choice of villain. How do I mean?

Well, obviously they feel Eggman is too goofy to be a serious villain. So, in line with what SatAM (and earlier, SEGA America) did, they made a new one. This time around not being a new variant of Eggman.

This also speaks to the Jak influences, I think. While Ratchet villains usually have lots of comic relief, Jak villains are pretty serious from start to finish. On the flip side, Crash villains are also fairly wacky... but so far it looks like Boom is going the way of Jak with its villain.

You'd think that one day people would realize that being comedic and being competent don't have to be segregated.

• Thumbs Up 9

Bowser's Inside story sure didn't have a lot of it. And... how is the battle system built around platforming if it's a basic RPG fight sequence?

Ok, I phrased it badly, but the battles are built around timing jumps and hits.

I've only played the first two, mind you, but the "platforming" in M&L is hardly controlled the same way and doesn't have nearly as significant an impact on the overall gameplay as in the main series Mario games.  So, no, I don't think the brief platform sections, most of which only resemble Mario in spirit and not in gameplay, make it any better in terms of successful deviation.

Huh? The traversal is very different than typical RPGs and most certainly is platforming.

Okay, do those speed sections look stilted and jittery as all hell to anyone else or is that just me? Seriously I get no sense of flow, which at the very least Unleashed had

Did Sonic just say "up and over and gone" at the end of that video?

Nice reference. Very nice.

• Thumbs Up 4

New video preview from Polygon:

And another:

Watching that video gave me some stuff to think about:

1. That guy's voice is sooo annoying.

2. As bad as Sonic's ring nomming is, I dunno if Knuckles' "THERE ARE THINGS INSIDE THESE THINGS" is worse. It's like, eugh, they really did make him into the stupid character, didn't they?

3. The in-level banter sounds like it'd get annoying fast.

Looks like Eggman gets to be a side villain if nothing else.

I wish we could get a video free from commentary, though. I can hear some dialogue in the background but it's garbled by the comments.

• Thumbs Up 2

Did Sonic just say cowabunga?

SonicIssue10Turtles01.jpg

I'll have to admit.....the Wii U version is really growing on me. It's flawed from what we've seen, but it does actually look enjoyable. Of course, I still have my reservations, but what we've seen so far doesn't look that bad too me. However, I can totally understand why people don't like it or are mixed, and I don't blame them one bit. This is a radical departure from what Sonic usually is, and I'd eat crow if people weren't at least wary of the changes, let alone upset.

• Thumbs Up 8

Ok, I phrased it badly, but the battles are built around timing jumps and hits.

That's a bit of a stretch in terms of comparison.  Like, yeah, it's true, but it doesn't make it any less of a huge deviation.  No less so than saying that Sonic Boom is like the main series games because it involves running and jumping.

Huh? The traversal is very different than typical RPGs and most certainly is platforming.

It certainly didn't bring to mind the traditional Mario affair to me, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

I kinda think maybe repeated watches are helping me warm up to it all a bit. Still has it's fair share of issues but....it looks serviceable.

• Thumbs Up 7