Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

I've realized that (understandably sans Luigi) we haven't seen any clone characters. Either they're all in hiding or Sakurai decided they should do away with them altogether.

If the latter, then I'm right beside him on it. As long as characters that happen to be clones and are worthy of their own movesets (Ganondorf, Falco) get their own, that is.

I've realized that (understandably sans Luigi) we haven't seen any clone characters. Either they're all in hiding or Sakurai decided they should do away with them altogether.

If the latter, then I'm right beside him on it. As long as characters that happen to be clones and are worthy of their own movesets (Ganondorf, Falco) get their own, that is.

Toon Link is still around. 

Really, the only ones that are missing are the Star Fox guys and Lucas, and we haven't actually seen any Earthbound characters period yet, so I wouldn't count him out yet.

And Toon Link, don't forget Toon Link. We have nothing to suggest that Toon Link isn't a clone at this point.

Ganondorf needs his own moveset. Falco's a bit questionable. I'd be disappointed to lose Falco, but I think Wolf and Krystal are better choices really. They could find a new moveset for Falco, but Krystal would be far more interesting if she used her staff and basically Fox's moveset from Adventures (since it is her staff and he's just borrowing it).

Right, right, completely forgot. Gomen.

If we're going by a cast of approx. between 40 - 45 characters though, that leaves around 11 to 16 characters left to fill in the spots since we've already filled up 29 of those (or well, 27 if ZS Samus and Shiek are still on the same selection slot as their base characters). I'd like to see a decent amount of people return, but at the same time I'd like more space for a few more original characters. Cutting the fat a bit would help, really.

I really don't want Wolf back, honestly. Wolf and Fox (and Krystal if she was there) are all canine people. Having Falco adds that variety that the original Star Fox team reflects. Plus, I thought Wolf didn't control that well. XD

As for Lucas.. I'm highly doubting his return, even if I wouldn't mind him there. Ness is a no-brainer though. Him, Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers are practically confirmed.

Yes, he can come up with moves, but in an existing franchise I think moveset potential and relevance does matter. Wii Fit Trainer, new franchise. Villager, new franchise. A lot of characters that lacked moveset potential were before established franchises were actually used.

When taking into consideration choosing between different characters in an established franchise, especially one like The Legend of Zelda, I think moveset potential is very relevant.

What characters do we have that didn't have moveset potential before they were added? Fox McCloud, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Villager, and arguably Wii Fit Trainer. I don't even think Wii Fit Trainer is a valid argument actually, because Wii Fit Trainer is using all kinds of Yoga moves. That right there is potential. Yeah, they had fun with it a bit, but...

And in the case of all of these characters, they were the first character in the franchise. From the franchises that did have new characters added, they were drawn from existing characters, namely both Falco and Wolf.

Sakurai could give Tingle a moveset, but that's still something that would hurt Tingle's chances over another Zelda character who'd be far easier to give a moveset to, such as Vaati, Impa, Ghirahim, or Demise.

Again, as noted, I don't really think WFT was a very odd choice when you think about it, and using Yoga moves for attacks is actually quite brilliant. You also have to compare the fact that the Zelda series is already established and there's a lot of characters with far better moveset potentials than Tingle. Yes Sakurai could create one for him, but comparatively speaking there's tons of reasons to choose another character over Tingle, moveset potential just being one of them.

EDIT: The reason I pick Vaati is because he's the second-most recurring villain in the series. I honestly don't think they'd pick a one-off character when there's plenty of recurring characters to choose from. Malon would be a better pick than Demise, honestly (she's appeared in about 4-5 games; Marin and Romani/Cremia are basically just variations of Malon as well).

EDIT 2: Not that I think Malon has any chance of getting in.

But again, moveset potential is not something you, or me, or anyone of us has the right to define because we're not the ones designing the game, regardless of what franchise the character is from.  I also don't quite understand how Sakurai creating a moveset for Tingle would hurt the character's chances.  Sakurai and his team clearly don't construct their characters based on how easy they're moveset would be to make, but what kind of unique flavour it would add to the game.  Tingle's relevancy and popularity are questionable yes, but that's not what I'm arguing here.  

• Thumbs Up 3

Honestly the average fan's conception of "moveset potential" is pathetically shallow. If someone says a character doesn't have "moveset potential", it's because they haven't actually thought about it, at least not beyond trying to find 4 "obvious" special moves from existing character abilities. We probably wouldn't even have half the characters we do if things were driven by that kind of shallow thinking.

• Thumbs Up 5

Hey you guys, apperantly we arent looking hard enough

http://www.gonintendo.com/s/225879-nintendo-employee-says-yesterday-s-smash-bros-direct-is-hiding-a-few-things

JC Rodrigo@JCDotface9h

If you didn't see the Smash Bros. Direct: http://youtu.be/7xUWnQu2Grs . Also, you guys are missing a few things. Look closer.

9:56 AM - 9 Apr 2014

• Samurai Gorah found as an assist trophy. Captain Falcon will be returning.
  • Polar Bear enemy from Ice Climbers. Not sure if that confirms Ice Climbers to be returning too but they are veterans since Melee...
  • Waluigi and Ashley were listed as WarioWare characters. Wario should be returning.

That's all I got.

The only clone character I want to see return with a complete overhaul in the moveset department is Ganondorf. It would be an outrage if he still kept the Captain Falcon moveset and not actually utilise some of his own moves from previous Zelda games. Make him unique for once!

• Thumbs Up 4

If we're going by a cast of approx. between 40 - 45 characters though, that leaves around 11 to 16 characters left to fill in the spots since we've already filled up 29 of those (or well, 27 if ZS Samus and Shiek are still on the same selection slot as their base characters). I'd like to see a decent amount of people return, but at the same time I'd like more space for a few more original characters. Cutting the fat a bit would help, really.

I really don't want Wolf back, honestly. Wolf and Fox (and Krystal if she was there) are all canine people. Having Falco adds that variety that the original Star Fox team reflects. Plus, I thought Wolf didn't control that well. XD

As for Lucas.. I'm highly doubting his return, even if I wouldn't mind him there. Ness is a no-brainer though. Him, Captain Falcon and Ice Climbers are practically confirmed.

Falco brought animal variety....but yet didn't bring the moveset variety, quite the predicament.

Am I the only one who spotted Kremlings during the city trial thing?

No, have you not been seeing the other posters' post?

The main thing I noticed is that Isaac wasn't shown as an Assist Trophy. I was really holding my breath when it got to the Assist Trophies, especially after I saw Lyn and Saki (disproving both of them; I kinda doubted Saki, but I was really hoping for Lyn).

I'm personally speculating 45-50, and I do think they'll cut the fat and remove most of the clone characters. The characters are getting far, far more effort put into them now, so I can't imagine them keeping a lot of the clones in. I anticipate Lucas and Falco or Wolf to both vanish, and Ganondorf to get an overhaul. Snake is probably gone, so I still anticipate an Advance Wars character so his basic moveset stays in the game.

One thing that bothers me about Greninja, even though he looks cool, is that I wanted more variety of franchises to be represented. We might still get that, its just annoying they're focusing on the more popular ones first. At this rate, the next new character will be Isaac and then we'll get a new Zelda character announcement (covering all three of the main franchises Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon).

FE will probably get 1 (personally I think its big enough to warrant 2 but they already cut Lyn), Zelda 1, DK 1-2 (both Dixie and King K. Rool are possible), Kid Icarus one, and after that maybe a couple of new franchises represented.

The problem with Star Fox representation is both Falco and Wolf are more iconic and popular than Krystal, despite Krystal having a great moveset and would be the only known staff user in the game (unless the Palutena leaks are accurate) and both Falco/Wolf being clones (with Wolf only a semi-clone). Going based on current movesets, it'd be better to keep Wolf, plus he'd be a more villain character representation, but Falco is a great character as well.

Its a very tough call to make...

• Thumbs Up 1

Personally expecting Waddle Dee to be in the game.

King Dedede no longer throws Waddle Dees and instead throws Gordos. Meanwhile, Waddle Dee was a character in Return to Dreamland and having him would mean not only having a spear/staff member, but also would make the entire playable cast of RtD as playable in Smash.

• Thumbs Up 2

Personally expecting Waddle Dee to be in the game.

King Dedede no longer throws Waddle Dees and instead throws Gordos. Meanwhile, Waddle Dee was a character in Return to Dreamland and having him would mean not only having a spear/staff member, but also would make the entire playable cast of RtD as playable in Smash.

I don't think we'll get another Kirby character. Waddle Dee isn't anything special really. If anything they probably made Waddle Dee a random enemy and that's why they dropped him from Dedede's moveset.

I don't think we'll get another Kirby character. Waddle Dee isn't anything special really. If anything they probably made Waddle Dee a random enemy and that's why they dropped him from Dedede's moveset.

That wouldn't really be why, since Waddle Dee can be many things. A playable character, an ally, a sailor, a bandanna dee, a master Spear fighter...and enemies, also Gordos are enemies in Smash Run too.

• Thumbs Up 1

That's what I'm saying though. It just seems really convenient that he's the fourth character from a game that came out so recently, and Dedede happens to be not using Waddle Dees anymore at the same time.

That's what I'm saying though. It just seems really convenient that he's the fourth character from a game that came out so recently, and Dedede happens to be not using Waddle Dees anymore at the same time.

ehhh I dont really want him in for the same reason I dont want Toad as playabe: there are still a ton of other unique characters from that world that can be used, including legacy ones, not to mention there are still a tone of other unique nintendo francise with a wide variety of characters that deserve representation, before he should ever come in

Considering we got room for nearabout 5 or 6 newcomers past the ones we've already got, I think Waddle Dee would make a good entry. Especially since it'd be like, the only spear/staff character on the whoooole board.

I kinda feel like a bad person for thinking that thing Sakurai did with his hands at the end was his shoulder locking up.

Waddle Dee is cool and all, but a Waddle Dee is already in Smash Run. Parasol Waddle Dee to be specific.

82SSU.jpg

So unless we want to get into Red Toad/Blue Toad levels of discussion, Bandana Waddle Dee's not gonna happen because of PWD there.

I doubt it might happen, but is there any chance that we'll see any Badniks from the Sonic's series' in Smash Run along with the enemies from other game franchises, like say Motobug or Crabmeat?

Considering we got room for nearabout 5 or 6 newcomers past the ones we've already got, I think Waddle Dee would make a good entry. Especially since it'd be like, the only spear/staff character on the whoooole board.

I don't see how. There's tons of other far better choices. Isaac, an FE character, K. Rool and/or Dixie Kong, Shulk, an Advance Wars character (to replace Snake), very likely a Namco character (probably Pac-Man but Lloyd is a good secondary choice), and as all of Nintendo's big three have a new character, a Zelda character as well.

I don't like the idea of including generic enemies/NPC's as playables. I wouldn't want Toad to be playable, for example. Pokemon is the exception because that's all Pokemon are.

Perhaps the argument of Waddle Dee being removed isn't because of them appearing as generic enemies, but rather because it makes more sense for Dedede to throw the other enemy than Waddle Dee and they're trying to improve Dedede by lessening the random factor on him. Kirby is already well represented with Kirby, Dedede, and Metaknight.

I doubt it might happen, but is there any chance that we'll see any Badniks from the Sonic's series' in Smash Run along with the enemies from other game franchises, like say Motobug or Crabmeat?

I don't see why not. Mettaurs are in, we should have a Sonic enemy as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well, the Met things from Mega Man appear, so it's possible. I could see a Motobug showing it's face in Smash Run (and whatever Adventure-y mode the Wii U gets, maybe?). Egg Pawns could be another contender since they're basically iconic for Modern Sonic at this point.

Honestly the average fan's conception of "moveset potential" is pathetically shallow. If someone says a character doesn't have "moveset potential", it's because they haven't actually thought about it, at least not beyond trying to find 4 "obvious" special moves from existing character abilities. We probably wouldn't even have half the characters we do if things were driven by that kind of shallow thinking.

The way I see it, it's either that or people are using "moveset potential" as a shallow excuse for denying a certain character being in the game.

At the end, either the character makes it as a playable fighter or they don't. Nothing more, nothing less. That's it. No excuses. Bottom line.

You'd think, after 3 previous titles and reveals out of nowhere that people would have gotten this through our heads, but nope, they still go on. I don't see how hard it is to understand this simple detail, or to at least recognize that if you can't see it either someone else or even Sakurai himself probably can. Because regardless of whether it's a whole franchise in itself, who the fuck really saw WFT trainer as being playable until reveal? And even considering that most Pokemon by default have movesets, who the fuck saw them bringing in Greninja over the dozens of other Pokemon candidates they could have chosen? (who I find awesome despite stopping at Gen 2)

We all have lists and ideas, but it's obviously not us making the shots here.

• Thumbs Up 1