Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

I would not be surprised if they bring back the mario bros stage to show off the wraparound affect.

They don't specifically need that stage....

I may be late for the 3Ds/Wii U different release dates discussion but I'd like to say that because of one releasing later, Nintendo may also be able to advertise for the 3DS version again during Christmas because Smash Bros would be relevant again because of another release and IIRC there were perks for owning both versions of the game.

They don't specifically need that stage....

But it makes sense, doesn't it? After all, the original Mario Bros Arcade game used the wraparound effect as an integral part of its gameplay.

That said, it might be a LOT harder to K.O. someone...

Actualy, you guys about THIS:

meta_ridley_confirmed.jpg

I do think its the Other M ridley, however I take that as an EXTREMELY good and positive sign myself, and you know why? Because that means that CLONE Ridley is the boss, which means one of the forms of the REAL Ridley could quite easily be playable, and it could be any of his forms(cause meta/omega ridley would give him an even more unique moveset)!

we have 2 playable links, why do you guys think we couldnt have a boss ridley, AND a playable ridley?

Well, let's be fair, the Zero Suit wasn't the start of this.

WyUmmYO.jpg

Does anyboy else want the super Metroid and Justin Bailey oufits as alternate costumes for Zero Suit Samus?! I mean little Mac has wireframe, why couldnt we get one of these callbacks XD specialy with Namco helping

People are griping loudly over ZSS's new heels. I doubt having the SM two-piece as an alt. will make things any better.

If an alt. for ZSS is an absolute necessity for whatever reason, use her Galactic Federation get-up.

20100826104430!Samus_in_Galactic_Federat

It's a visually appealing attire, and it fits with the Other M focus in Smash 4. Win-win.

Does anyboy else want the super Metroid and Justin Bailey oufits as alternate costumes for Zero Suit Samus?! I mean little Mac has wireframe, why couldnt we get one of these callbacks XD specialy with Namco helping

I don't know about you, but I want to see this as a alt.

metroid_characters_adam_large.png

He authorizes Samus to make him a alt.

At 32:55 of the Direct. 

Guess 3DS version gets Jungle Japes 2.0.:/

We already knew that. It was listed with the 3DS stages like Halberd was with the Wii U stages.

Sakurai could scream "Ridley is not playable" at the top of his lungs and people would still argue he might be.

I wouldn't. He's doing everything but saying that right now.

I just thought of this.

Shiek and Zelda have their own separate character slots this time around. This probably means no Toon Zelda or Tetra unless they want 3 versions of Zelda. To me, that would be overkill though. Especially if you put her in over other characters that could represent the series. Heck, if you want a Toon character Nintendo, use Toon Ganondorf!

Sakurai could scream "Ridley is not playable" at the top of his lungs and people would still argue he might be.

"I'm sorry, but it looks like RIDLEY IS NOT PLAYABLE!!!"

"...."

"Just kidding." :-}

I just thought of this.

Shiek and Zelda have their own separate character slots this time around. This probably means no Toon Zelda or Tetra unless they want versions of Zelda. To me, that would be overkill though. Especially if you put her in over other characters that could represent the series. Heck, if you want a Toon character Nintendo, use Toon Ganondorf!

That really does please me, Toon Zelda has got to be one of my most HATED character suggestions. We shouldn't have Toon Link, either, personally. I'd have rather had Impa outright replace Sheik and have Sheik as an alt, but 'eh, I think this is an improvement over having characters that switch when no one wants to actually switch them at all.

And I definitely don't want Toon Ganodorf. I wouldn't mind Ganondorf taking a nod from WW Ganondorf by giving him dual swords or something, but that's about it. I'd like Ganondorf to have a revamped moveset and draw from all his different versions.

• Thumbs Up 1

Please no more duplicates.

What are you referring to? Toon Ganondorf? I think the idea was replacing current Ganondorf with Toon Ganondorf, not having both. But I fully agree, no more duplicates, we have enough.

I'm content with ZSS and Sheik being separate characters only because they were switching characters before and simply removing them would remove a whole playstyle from the game. I can't see them removing unique playable characters (which is why I can't see Ike going anywhere, either), but I can see them removing clones or un-cloning characters.

I wouldn't mind having Ganondorf take inspiration from other versions actually. All of them have things to offer. 

However....you know how certain assist trophies from brawl haven't shown up yet.

I wonder

maybe

just maybe....

tingle_2___amecon_2012_by_paper_plate-d5

• Thumbs Up 1

When he mention toon Zelda.

Even though we got ZZS and sheik they are still the same characters.

But its a good thing they have a complete different move set.

But when I hear toon Zelda, I see a clone of Zelda.

I wouldn't mind having Ganondorf take inspiration from other versions actually. All of them have things to offer. 

However....you know how certain assist trophies from brawl haven't shown up yet.

I wonder

maybe

just maybe....

tingle_2___amecon_2012_by_paper_plate-d5

Tingle would be the f--ing worst character to ever add to Smash. Not only does he not have very good moveset potential, he'd be a widely hated and reviled choice. It'd be the most trollish thing ever to do, I like to think that Tingle was outright removed because he's too hated to get in, not because they made him playable.

Plus Tingle has been outright ignored in recent years.

When he mention toon Zelda.

Even though we got ZZS and sheik they are still the same characters.

But its a good thing they have a complete different move set.

But when I hear toon Zelda, I see a clone of Zelda.

He wasn't advocating for Toon Zelda, he was saying that with Zelda and Sheik separate that gives us a next-to-nil chance of seeing Toon Zelda otherwise we'd have three versions of Zelda in the game.

Tingle would be the f--ing worst character to ever add to Smash. Not only does he not have very good moveset potential, he'd be a widely hated and reviled choice. 

How many times are we going to go through this circular "moveset potential" argument before people begin to understand that we aren't in the position to dictate what has moveset potential and what doesn't?  The fucking Wii Fit Trainer is in the game, a character nobody would have thought had moveset potential prior to her reveal at E3.  Part of what's interesting about Smash is how Sakurai and his team are able to take rather unorthodox characters and give them moveset potential.   

I'm not advocating Tingle mind you, not in the slightest.  I just think this moveset potential argument is a stupid one.  

• Thumbs Up 7

It'd be the most trollish thing ever to do

This is Sakurai we're talking about here. 

Tingle's troll potential alone makes him viable.

Tingle would be the f--ing worst character to ever add to Smash. Not only does he not have very good moveset potential, he'd be a widely hated and reviled choice. It'd be the most trollish thing ever to do, I like to think that Tingle was outright removed because he's too hated to get in, not because they made him playable.

Plus Tingle has been outright ignored in recent years.

He wasn't advocating for Toon Zelda, he was saying that with Zelda and Sheik separate that gives us a next-to-nil chance of seeing Toon Zelda otherwise we'd have three versions of Zelda in the game.

Okay I was joking, but a few things.

1. Move potential literally can't be called when characters like WFT get in.

and 2. WFT was "Widely reviled and hated" until people saw her in action. What would make Tingle any different?

If I was to pick a new Zelda character for real though, It'd either be Impa or Demise.

Had they not brought Toon Link back,I wouldn't have minded Zora Link. But that's just a wish character.

Actually, I wouldn't mind Vaati being a villain choice for the Zelda series.

How many times are we going to go through this circular "moveset potential" argument before people begin to understand that we aren't in the position to dictate what has moveset potential and what doesn't?  The fucking Wii Fit Trainer is in the game, a character nobody would have thought had moveset potential prior to her reveal at E3.  Part of what's interesting about Smash is how Sakurai and his team are able to take rather unorthodox characters and give them moveset potential.   

I'm not advocating Tingle mind you, not in the slightest.  I just think this moveset potential argument is a stupid one.  

Yes, he can come up with moves, but in an existing franchise I think moveset potential and relevance does matter. Wii Fit Trainer, new franchise. Villager, new franchise. A lot of characters that lacked moveset potential were before established franchises were actually used.

When taking into consideration choosing between different characters in an established franchise, especially one like The Legend of Zelda, I think moveset potential is very relevant.

What characters do we have that didn't have moveset potential before they were added? Fox McCloud, Captain Falcon, Mr. Game and Watch, ROB, Villager, and arguably Wii Fit Trainer. I don't even think Wii Fit Trainer is a valid argument actually, because Wii Fit Trainer is using all kinds of Yoga moves. That right there is potential. Yeah, they had fun with it a bit, but...

And in the case of all of these characters, they were the first character in the franchise. From the franchises that did have new characters added, they were drawn from existing characters, namely both Falco and Wolf.

Sakurai could give Tingle a moveset, but that's still something that would hurt Tingle's chances over another Zelda character who'd be far easier to give a moveset to, such as Vaati, Impa, Ghirahim, or Demise.

Okay I was joking, but a few things.

1. Move potential literally can't be called when characters like WFT get in.

and 2. WFT was "Widely reviled and hated" until people saw her in action. What would make Tingle any different?

If I was to pick a new Zelda character for real though, It'd either be Impa or Demise.

Had they not brought Toon Link back,I wouldn't have minded Zora Link. But that's just a wish character.

Actually, I wouldn't Vaati being a villain choice for the Zelda series.

Again, as noted, I don't really think WFT was a very odd choice when you think about it, and using Yoga moves for attacks is actually quite brilliant. You also have to compare the fact that the Zelda series is already established and there's a lot of characters with far better moveset potentials than Tingle. Yes Sakurai could create one for him, but comparatively speaking there's tons of reasons to choose another character over Tingle, moveset potential just being one of them.

EDIT: The reason I pick Vaati is because he's the second-most recurring villain in the series. I honestly don't think they'd pick a one-off character when there's plenty of recurring characters to choose from. Malon would be a better pick than Demise, honestly (she's appeared in about 4-5 games; Marin and Romani/Cremia are basically just variations of Malon as well).

EDIT 2: Not that I think Malon has any chance of getting in.