Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - April 8 [11PM BST / 6PM EST]

Carbo

On the upside, more features could basically mean the 3DS will serve as temptation to get a Wii U for even more once we've played that one to death.

Or people will have gotten the hype out of their system by the time the Wii U version's out. It goes both ways. I mean I'll be playing both but I don't know how it's gonna play out.

I still view the Wii U version as the definitive but I'm kinda happy that at least one version's coming out in Summer. We'll know all the characters sooner rather than later and I'm gonna be playing a bunch of Smash Bros City Trial. 

pacman confirmed?

We'll see. I wonder if there will be more Namco representation in the future.

We'll see. I wonder if there will be more Namco representation in the future.

Actually just remembered Namco is co-developing SSB4. Haha, just a reference added by them.

Actually just remembered Namco is co-developing SSB4. Haha, just a reference added by them.

I know they are. Still, one minor reference? (And a tiny one at that.)

Honestly, I'm not seeing the 3DS version as a watered down version of the "superior" game. This isn't a Unwiished/HD comparison. These both offer great amounts of replay value and fun on their own. You can play smash on the go with different stages and features, or console smash with different stages and features. Both seem to be crammed with as much as they can. The only major difference I'm seeing honestly that makes them stick out is the graphics jump. And even then, smash 3DS looks just as good or better than Brawl.(the thing is running at 60 FPS, that's quite a accomplishment.)

I'm usually not one to bitch at such great new info revelations, wbut what the fuck is Nintendo thinking releasing the 3DS version first? The WiiU is already selling abysmally, it absolutely NEEDS this game. My fear is that many people will think that since they already have the game on one system(although it's the watered down version) they won't need to get the superior version on the WiiU and thus, not buy the WiiU. I already feared this before, but this gap between release periods will justify that even more. That said, game's looking great at least.

The 3DS is in decline and needs a game to keep momentum up. People will buy a 3DS just to play this game this summer.

The Wii U version will be seen as the upgraded version. Releasing the 3DS version after could cause the 3DS version to crash in sales due to not wanting to buy a game seen as watered down. People WILL buy the upgraded version. The Wii U version is releasing in Christmas so this will cause lots of holiday sales. People will buy a Wii U and a copy of Smash Bros/Mario Kart.

Wii U has Mario Kart coming up soon to cover the spring/summer period.

• Thumbs Up 3

Releasing the 3DS version earlier is basically Nintendo wanting people to double-dip.  The 3DS version will be good on its own, but it will also be a taster for the more powerful Wii U version, which will certainly have its own unique features to draw people in.  There is a slight element of a gamble about it, but I would imagine Nintendo have something up their sleeve to try and make sure the 3DS doesn't cannibalise the potential sales of the Wii U version.

• Thumbs Up 4

Alrighty then, time to finally post my impressions!

In a word... wowzers! There was so much crammed into that Direct, definitely far more in-depth and comprehensive than I thought it was going to be. While it didn't have quite as many "OMFG SURPRISE!" moments as I thought it might - though, of course, it still had its fair share of shockers - it made up for it with a really detailed look at the gameplay, showing off pretty much every aspect of it in some shape or form. Plus there's undoubtedly still more to come, like the Wii U's solo modes, but they'll come nearer to that version's Winter release and they'll instead focus on revealing the 3DS stuff for now. I must admit, I was a bit surprised that the 3DS version is going to launch first (and so soon!), but I suppose it'd be a gamble for Nintendo whichever way they sliced it. At least this way, they give the "lesser" version to the console with the bigger install base first by way of an appetiser, and when people are hooked on that then BAM! they bring out the much more definitive HD big brother on Wii U. Kerching!

Regarding the characters - good to finally see some confirmation for the veterans. Intrigued by the fact that Sheik and Zero Suit Samus (oh my gawd she so hawt) will be their own separate characters this time around rather than transformations, but I like what they've done with them - especially the latter - and getting to grips with their own individual playstyles will help to make them feel more unique rather than complete changes of pace you have to deal with halfway through a match. Charizard being on his own is a reasonable decision as far as I'm concerned, as I never really cared for Ivysaur and Squirtle when using Pokemon Trainer in Brawl. Charizard was always the best one, and the fact he's bringing Mega Charizard X along with him for the ride is absolutely a-ok by me.

As for Greninja... holy shit, just WHAT?! :lol: I was not expecting that! I didn't know what to think at first. It certainly wasn't disappointment, it was more... excited confusion. All throughout that trailer I could've sworn it was Mewtwo, and then suddenly... Greninja! Of all the Pokemon that could have appeared, I would not have laid money on him, but he looks like a freakin' badass and I can't wait to give him a try. 

Other highlights from the Direct - the Pong assist trophy, Mega Man's Final Smash, Final Destination for pretty much everything, Sakurai's Ridley trolling... the list goes on!

Oh, and Pseudo-Palutena fakeout aside, I'd actually say Palutena's chances of being playable have increased now. Pit's Final Smash has been changed to the Three Sacred Treasures rather than Palutena's Army... meaning Palutena can quite easily show up on her own, possibly with her army intact as well. I live in hope!

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm super stoked that Sakurai decided to revisit the City Trial formula.  I had so much fun with that mode in Kirby's Air Ride.  I also hope that means the Wii U version has something even bigger and better...

Honestly, I'm not seeing the 3DS version as a watered down version of the "superior" game. This isn't a Unwiished/HD comparison. These both offer great amounts of replay value and fun on their own. You can play smash on the go with different stages and features, or console smash with different stages and features. Both seem to be crammed with as much as they can. The only major difference I'm seeing honestly that makes them stick out is the graphics jump. And even then, smash 3DS looks just as good or better than Brawl.(the thing is running at 60 FPS, that's quite a accomplishment.)

I don't think anyone is seeing the 3DS version as lesser in terms of fun, don't worry.  The only things I expect will be "lesser" here is just stuff that is sheer limitations of storage space.  I imagine the newcomer videos won't be included for example, and obviously only two songs for each stage.  It'll prolly have less stages overall and perhaps be missing a mode or two that requires unique, large maps (like I'd be impressed if both games have identical amounts of single player/co-op content).  But generally... yeah I expect this to be no less than a full game that could have released standalone and still be satisfying (we'd just be wondering where all the non-handheld-related stages were at lol).

You only need to play Kid Icarus to discover how much Sakurai knows what he's doing with 3DS games in terms of quality and content.  That game felt like a home console game in terms of scope and content.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm glad to see that the 3DS version is not an after-thought for the Wii U one, since I'm going to buy just that.  Also, it comes first and that's awesome.

You know what else is awesome? Megaman's Final Smash. I actually thought that they were going to use the Super Adapter from  Megaman 7 but...yeah...this one works too.

May I just say that this has to be the funniest new screenshot:

23vkvo7.jpg

Zero Suit Samus: "Hey! Who put me in these ridiculous bunny ears? Don't you think I'm being sexualised enough?!"

Luigi & Dedede: *teehee*

• Thumbs Up 1

I must say, this Direct. was amazing.

Characters : Holy hell, I mean -- I did expect a few more new reveals, but I can't say I'm disappointed with Greninja -- or not happy for that matter! The moment I first heard he was announced I thought "meh" to that, but then seeing the trailer, the screens, all that awesome, I can't say I don't look forward to playing as him. Yoshi being FINALLY announced to return was fine as well, bout' time he actually stood-up straight. :U

Sheik and Zero Suit Samus returning as separates made me smile, I don't know, I never really liked having to switch, nor did I like having to hunt down one of those Smash Balls just to get some Zero Suit' -- And speaking of ZSS, I like these new boots they gave her, I could definitely feel more strength coming from her kicks with them on now. Oh and Sheik has a cool acrobatic jump attack and some bombs, neat.

Megaman's Final smash is quite something and Greninja's FS is just boss.

Kinda sucks that Sakurai didn't talk much else about changing movesets, but the feature sounds interesting.

Stages : Never knew that Balloon Flight was a stage for the 3DS.Version, so that's pretty neat.

Almost all stages having a Final Destination form sounds interesting, and by the way, the Final Destination for this game is just breathtaking.

Modes: So..If I'm getting right..The 3DS version will have a semi adventure mode where you have a mix of enemies with from various games along with some from Brawl's SE..Oh god, where's my Adventure fix for the Wii U version!? ;O;

Oh well, it looks interesting and I'm sure to get the 3DS one at some point.

Oh yeah, the Online. I never played Brawl online so I kinda don't care, but man did it make me laugh when I heard of the "For Glory" mode for online: 1vs1, No Items, Final Destination. The joke has practically become an official mode. :V

Everything else so far was great and happy to hear that the 3DS version is coming this summer, didn't expect that at all.

And gotta love the Flickr page with all the other goodies, Sonic looks more improved with better expressions, we get the tanooki leaf, some items returning and..Blue Shell? Oh..Ehm..Okay..

When the Wii U version comes out, I expect everyone to choose For Glory and only pick Fox.

When the Wii U version comes out, I expect everyone to choose For Glory and only pick Fox.

There'll be that one asshole that picks Little Mac.

I must say, this Direct. was amazing.

Characters : Holy hell, I mean -- I did expect a few more new reveals, but I can't say I'm disappointed with Greninja -- or not happy for that matter! The moment I first heard he was announced I thought "meh" to that, but then seeing the trailer, the screens, all that awesome, I can't say I don't look forward to playing as him. Yoshi being FINALLY announced to return was fine as well, bout' time he actually stood-up straight. :U

Sheik and Zero Suit Samus returning as separates made me smile, I don't know, I never really liked having to switch, nor did I like having to hunt down one of those Smash Balls just to get some Zero Suit' -- And speaking of ZSS, I like these new boots they gave her, I could definitely feel more strength coming from her kicks with them on now. Oh and Sheik has a cool acrobatic jump attack and some bombs, neat.

Megaman's Final smash is quite something and Greninja's FS is just boss.

Kinda sucks that Sakurai didn't talk much else about changing movesets, but the feature sounds interesting.

Stages : Never knew that Balloon Flight was a stage for the 3DS.Version, so that's pretty neat.

Almost all stages having a Final Destination form sounds interesting, and by the way, the Final Destination for this game is just breathtaking.

Modes: So..If I'm getting right..The 3DS version will have a semi adventure mode where you have a mix of enemies with from various games along with some from Brawl's SE..Oh god, where's my Adventure fix for the Wii U version!? ;O;

Oh well, it looks interesting and I'm sure to get the 3DS one at some point.

Oh yeah, the Online. I never played Brawl online so I kinda don't care, but man did it make me laugh when I heard of the "For Glory" mode for online: 1vs1, No Items, Final Destination. The joke has practically become an official mode. :V

Everything else so far was great and happy to hear that the 3DS version is coming this summer, didn't expect that at all.

And gotta love the Flickr page with all the other goodies, Sonic looks more improved with better expressions, we get the tanooki leaf, some items returning and..Blue Shell? Oh..Ehm..Okay..

For Glory isn't always 1vs1, they just said 1vs1 was POSSIBLE.

I don't understand the Blue Shell. I'll probably always turn that item off.

What's not to understand about the Blue Shell? It's an item that deliberately homes in on whoever has the higher stock count or KO count in Time matches.

Theoretically, you can always target 1st place when you have a Ray Gun, Steel Diver, Fire Flower, w/e. The Blue Shell merely makes that action computer controlled.

What's not to understand about the Blue Shell? It's an item that deliberately homes in on whoever has the higher stock count or KO count in Time matches.

Theoretically, you can always target 1st place when you have a Ray Gun, Steel Diver, Fire Flower, w/e. The Blue Shell merely makes that action computer controlled.

What's not to understand? What's not to understand is why they included the infuriating thing. That's what's not to understand.

Because it's fun.

It's not like you're going to get pounded with them throughout the match like you do in Mario Kart. And we don't even really know how it works yet.

The Blue Shell is one of the easiest "source material-to-Smash" translations I can think of; it's more faithful to the source material than the Fire Flower is, even.

Just because it drives Mario Kart players into a frenzy doesn't mean it can't be a viable concept in Smash Bros.

You also forget that trying to tactfully catch as many people in the blast and go down in a blaze of glory is going to be significantly more doable in a small 2D platforming environment than a wide open 3D racetrack.

Can someone explain the problem? I see a lot of people complaining about ZSS and I don't entirely see why.

cREnu40.png