Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Unsurprisingly, the criticism went over his head.

[Edit] I mean, its a plus(?) that he's finally got something tangible produced. However... this isn't ending well. At best, this will be Morbius, maybe Manos, popular.

Also, unrelated to the topic, viewing any Sonic discussion forums for me seemed to bring up... everything, I guess. I've seen roleplay and even trash topics listed for some reason. Not sure if its just me.

Edited by captobvious42
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, captobvious42 said:

Unsurprisingly, the criticism went over his head.

It's a pretty standard tactic of his to purposefully 'misunderstand'/misconstrue was it being said to him so he can avoid actually addressing a criticism. His adeptness at being disingenuous is nothing short of impressive.

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, new update of sorts:

https://kenpenders.com/a-quick-update/

Reading it, seems that the numbers were a bit off on sales, so going off what is being said now, he seems to be at 177 sold vice the 190 that I thought was the case from the previous update. Also, he seems to have made another change to his first book with adding extra pages, so seems like a longer wait, but at this point, it's pretty much what everyone still following this guy is doing: waiting.

Guess we will see if he follows up with March 20th, but like the last 4 updates on this, I am not holding my breath. 

Also of note, my computer is down, so I am not able to get into breaking down his statements like usual, so I am limited on that until it is fixed.

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.

12 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Well, new update of sorts:

https://kenpenders.com/a-quick-update/

Reading it, seems that the numbers were a bit off on sales, so going off what is being said now, he seems to be at 177 sold vice the 190 that I thought was the case from the previous update. Also, he seems to have made another change to his first book with adding extra pages, so seems like a longer wait, but at this point, it's pretty much what everyone still following this guy is doing: waiting.

Guess we will see if he follows up with March 20th, but like the last 4 updates on this, I am not holding my breath. 

Also of note, my computer is down, so I am not able to get into breaking down his statements like usual, so I am limited on that until it is fixed.

So, his goal is to reach 200 books sold?

8 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

That was what he was trying for with the incentive of having those that did so on his "special thanks" page, among other things. 

On another note, it's a day late, but this topic is now over 10 years old! And since that time, absolutely no books/apps/chapters have been released, just previews, concept art, T-shirts and other nicknacks, and multiple missed deadlines, to name a few.

Where has the time gone?

Edited by Promethean0416

Man, he'll barely make 200 in time for the "special thanks" incentive, if at all.

SEGA must be quaking in their boots at everything they've lost out on by not working with him.

People are going to be fired, executives leaping from windows...

indignation-jump.gif.33a334177b61e9a37a063d52c0201567.gif

So much regret to go around the SEGA offices.

Sonic Team must be kicking themselves for not being able to enrich their game worlds with... uh, something from this.

And so on and so forth. You get the bit.

Edited by King Scoopa Koopa
  • Chuckle 4

22 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Two-Hundred Preorders with a special 'thank you' page attached, to be precise. He's become fixated with hitting that magic 200, for reasons I can only guess at. So much so that he's repeatedly delayed the deadline for the pre-orders in the hopes of hitting 200. I think he's either doing it so he can boast about how 'in-demand' it is, or because he was expecting the proceeds to cover some other expense of his. Either way though, he's struggling to meet that number, which kinda makes one question what the actual proper sales will look like once he finally gets around to the proper release.

2 hours ago, horridus said:

Two-Hundred Preorders with a special 'thank you' page attached, to be precise. He's become fixated with hitting that magic 200, for reasons I can only guess at. So much so that he's repeatedly delayed the deadline for the pre-orders in the hopes of hitting 200. I think he's either doing it so he can boast about how 'in-demand' it is, or because he was expecting the proceeds to cover some other expense of his. Either way though, he's struggling to meet that number, which kinda makes one question what the actual proper sales will look like once he finally gets around to the proper release.

I wonder why he chose 200?  Why not a higher number than that?

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I wonder why he chose 200?  Why not a higher number than that?

I guess even witle-- er, unending optimism can only stretch believability so far.

To his credit, he got pretty close... though I don't think that was meant to be the entire customer base. XD

If I had to guess, it might have been a set print run since it doesn't sound like this is a print-on-demand project. I don't know if indie books usually have an initial run THAT high but he might have also been overestimating the demand.

• Thumbs Up 3

200 is just a clean 10% of the 2000 order I'm guessing the importance is now tied to perception. Like being 80 off in January looks embarassing compared to dragging it on for 2 months to finish a more respectable 20 away

• Thumbs Up 3

You know, while I don't agree with this man or what he did, I do think it was a golden opportunity for Sega AND the fanbase, particularly in regards to knuckles.

Okay, so this guy ran off with all of his echidna lore and characters? Fine! SO WHAT? Hey Sega, Hey fans..... this is a golden opportunity to explore Knuckle's REAL backstory and heritage. Not the 'Brotherhood of Guardians/Downunda' crud, but the Knuckles clan from sonic adventure. The movies have already introduced a new father for knuckles that fits the style of his people from sonic adventure,why not some more members of his family and friends with the Mayan- inspired theming of the Knuckles clan? His mother, friends, etc? How about a new echidna mentor for him, that trained him to be a guardian- heck, Mike Gallagher doesn't give a flying fig about the characters he created for Archie- bring back the sonic underground version of Athair. What an echidna love interest? Princess Alucion from the french Sonic comic. A new pale white echinda antagonist? Make Wenchnia a real character, in the spirit of Dr. Finitevus and Dr. Zachery- make him an alchemist and a sorcerer who hates knuckles, to make him different. Want a supporting cast? Classic Chaotix lineup, similar to Archie; Knux, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Mighty,  Honey and Alucion to replace Julie-su and Saffron. They cease being detectives,and become mercenaries who help Knuckles guard the master emerald.

I could think of a MILLION ways to make a scenario like that -or even a radically different premise or scenario- work as a hit movie or TV  series, introducing both new villains and characters, as well as expies for characters that need legally replacing due to mandates. Such a thing would be a hit as a comic or TV show, or even a fan work, and you-know-who couldn't do blasted thing about it.  But Sega is obsessed with their mandates, and the fanbase who clings to what they can't have, such ideas are but the stuff of dreams.  I even tried putting together a fanfic reboot  of my own similar to this, and got ripped anew one by a reader for not using Pender's stuff. I'll never understand my fellow fans, or Sega, for as long as I live.  It is possible to do another background/scenario and premise for knuckles, without using the Sega one... but everyone is too busy yelling and a guy whose irrelevant, and clinging to a past that got Super genesis waved out. 

(Oh, just wanted to make clear, I'm not coming down on Sonic fans or Archie Sonic fans who are angry about what happened, I'm coming down more on Sega's dumb mandates, and one or two people who just can't let go of the past on both sides of this mess)

Edited by Mobius_Historian
  • Fist Bump 1

The problem with that perspective is that Ken Penders has outright jumped on the second Sonic movie claiming that because they gave Knuckles a father, they used 'his' character -- despite not having actually watched the second Sonic movie at the time. So no matter what Sega does do with Knuckles' backstory, there's still gonna be trouble from Penders just because he thinks he has a monopoly on a character he didn't even create.

That being said, I don't think any lawsuit he files against the movie would hold up in court in the slightest, so at worst I expect he'll just waste a lot of time and money and make himself look like the biggest prick imaginable, assuming he hasn't done that already.

1 hour ago, Mobius_Historian said:

You know, while I don't agree with this man or what he did, I do think it was a golden opportunity for Sega AND the fanbase, particularly in regards to knuckles.

Okay, so this guy ran off with all of his echidna lore and characters? Fine! SO WHAT? Hey Sega, Hey fans..... this is a golden opportunity to explore Knuckle's REAL backstory and heritage. Not the 'Brotherhood of Guardians/Downunda' crud, but the Knuckles clan from sonic adventure. The movies have already introduced a new father for knuckles that fits the style of his people from sonic adventure,why not some more members of his family and friends with the Mayan- inspired theming of the Knuckles clan? His mother, friends, etc? How about a new echidna mentor for him, that trained him to be a guardian- heck, Mike Gallagher doesn't give a flying fig about the characters he created for Archie- bring back the sonic underground version of Athair. What an echidna love interest? Princess Alucion from the french Sonic comic. A new pale white echinda antagonist? Make Wenchnia a real character, in the spirit of Dr. Finitevus and Dr. Zachery- make him an alchemist and a sorcerer who hates knuckles, to make him different. Want a supporting cast? Classic Chaotix lineup, similar to Archie; Knux, Vector, Espio, Charmy, Mighty,  Honey and Alucion to replace Julie-su and Saffron. They cease being detectives,and become mercenaries who help Knuckles guard the master emerald.

I could think of a MILLION ways to make a scenario like that -or even a radically different premise or scenario- work as a hit movie or TV  series, introducing both new villains and characters, as well as expies for characters that need legally replacing due to mandates. Such a thing would be a hit as a comic or TV show, or even a fan work, and you-know-who couldn't do blasted thing about it.  But Sega is obsessed with their mandates, and the fanbase who clings to what they can't have, such ideas are but the stuff of dreams.  I even tried putting together a fanfic reboot  of my own similar to this, and got ripped anew one by a reader for not using Pender's stuff. I'll never understand my fellow fans, or Sega, for as long as I live.  It is possible to do another background/scenario and premise for knuckles, without using the Sega one... but everyone is too busy yelling and a guy whose irrelevant, and clinging to a past that got Super genesis waved out. 

(Oh, just wanted to make clear, I'm not coming down on Sonic fans or Archie Sonic fans who are angry about what happened, I'm coming down more on Sega's dumb mandates, and one or two people who just can't let go of the past on both sides of this mess)

Can I please ask if the fanfic is still up?

3 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Can I please ask if the fanfic is still up?

Edit: I'll see if I can dig the fic off of my hard drive

The main fic is gone, but parts of it were incorporated into my fic on this board, Sonic: Aftergame, in the creative works section:

9 hours ago, Mobius_Historian said:

Edit: I'll see if I can dig the fic off of my hard drive

The main fic is gone, but parts of it were incorporated into my fic on this board, Sonic: Aftergame, in the creative works section:

Thanks 

9 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Thanks 

Here you go, I'm going to re-edit and re-post it in pieces in the fan-works section. Fans of The Archie knuckles and echidnas flamed me for writing this, but I don't care anymore.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Mobius_Historian said:

Fans of The Archie knuckles and echidnas flamed me for writing this, but I don't care anymore.

I have my own experience with people not liking my fan fiction and being pretty nasty about it (let's just say that the Twitch Plays Pokemon userbase hasn't always been kind to me, and to be fair my overblown and regretful reactions were part of the problem), so I say good on you for not letting your haters define your work.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Lorekitten said:

I have my own experience with people not liking my fan fiction and being pretty nasty about it (let's just say that the Twitch Plays Pokemon userbase hasn't always been kind to me, and to be fair my overblown and regretful reactions were part of the problem), so I say good on you for not letting your haters define your work.

Thank you, it's just nice to write a father for knuckles who loves him, and didn't microwave the baby' because of a bad dream, as well as writing a echidna clan who is flawed, but not a bunch of evil psychos.

good luck with your future writing projects too, Lorekitten.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Mobius_Historian said:

Here you go, I'm going to re-edit and re-post it in pieces in the fan-works section. Fans of The Archie knuckles and echidnas flamed me for writing this, but I don't care anymore.

Thanks again

Well, it seems he is going to be a day late, but:

https://kenpenders.com/last-call/

Also with update is more uncanny valley Lara-Su art, which might represent something important, I don't know at this point...

Edited by Promethean0416

All that hair detail really makes it look like the rest of her hasn't loaded in properly.

Why is she wiping the lenses of her glasses while crying?  I swear this guy's art makes no sense.

• Thumbs Up 2

Jesus, every time I look at it, I feel a bit of recoil. It's really confronting.