Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I can imagine another explanation, but it's bad enough that I hesitate to even bring it up.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

Ken’s constant justifications and fixation of underage material is really getting unsettling.  Why does he still have a following of 4000 people still??

To be fair, I'm pretty most of his followers are people who just want to see how crazy he gets or how much of train wreck the Lara-Su Chronicles will be. 

• Thumbs Up 4

12 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

Ken’s constant justifications and fixation of underage material is really getting unsettling.  Why does he still have a following of 4000 people still??

Roughly half for the trainwreck, half because  he was an insider for the day with some behind the scenes photos and maybe he'll post more with the remainder being true believers.

Well, he's colored in the "chameleon" and while what was shown from the first sketch was less obvious than before, probably still not going to post it here, just to be safe.

And yeah, it's all good, looking at the Taylor lineup of faces, aside from Anthony Mackie, I think there's a couple where he looked like Eddie Murphy (third from the right) and maybe Richard Pryor (far right).

And yeah, that's a good split on who is still following him, though also some might be spam accounts too, but I digress...

OK so you've no reason to trust me any more than Ken but, as a man who wasted a decade lost up the backside of comic collecting and has 'kept a hand in' despite himself since: something about what Kenders said about that weird ownership split with lisenced comics sounds really familiar. 

Maybe i'm just getting it mixed up with something else, like Marvel's old agreement that allowed them to own all the original characters they created for lisenced books like Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Godzilla and Rom Spaceknight - which is otherwise a good example of a company not using the standard work for hire set up detailed earlier in this thread (though I'm sure most companies today - IDW, Boom!, Dark Horse etc - DO have that set up). I've got this feeling that what Penders was describing WAS a deal that used to be used, I've got this weird notion that a lesser known (today) company - Charlton or Fawcett or someone - used to use it way back when, and with Arrchie always being so behind-the-times it's possible that this is the deal they did (if i'm right about it), which is the deal Ken is familiar with because it was in effect when he worked there and so he knew about it/learnt about it during his court case/DC had done it with Star Trek when he worked on that. IDW has reprinted other books from other companies but not many from Archie, the main exception is TMNT Adventures but that was all produced in-house at Mirage, not at Archie (the exception being, I believe, the Year of the Turtle mini-series, which hasn't been reprinted). However it's just as likley that while this was a real deal, Archie never did it with Sega and Ken's talking out of his arse again, or Archie had changed the details of thier agreement with Sega by the reboot (do I remember somene saying about how Archie made sure everyone was properly contracted up properly after/during the court case?). If those documents are half-way accurate then theoreticaly they must have *shrug*. 

Again, grains of salt needs to be taken with this post. 

1 hour ago, dwitefry666 said:

OK so you've no reason to trust me any more than Ken but, as a man who wasted a decade lost up the backside of comic collecting and has 'kept a hand in' despite himself since: something about what Kenders said about that weird ownership split with lisenced comics sounds really familiar. 

Maybe i'm just getting it mixed up with something else, like Marvel's old agreement that allowed them to own all the original characters they created for lisenced books like Micronauts, Shogun Warriors, Godzilla and Rom Spaceknight - which is otherwise a good example of a company not using the standard work for hire set up detailed earlier in this thread (though I'm sure most companies today - IDW, Boom!, Dark Horse etc - DO have that set up). I've got this feeling that what Penders was describing WAS a deal that used to be used, I've got this weird notion that a lesser known (today) company - Charlton or Fawcett or someone - used to use it way back when, and with Arrchie always being so behind-the-times it's possible that this is the deal they did (if i'm right about it), which is the deal Ken is familiar with because it was in effect when he worked there and so he knew about it/learnt about it during his court case/DC had done it with Star Trek when he worked on that. IDW has reprinted other books from other companies but not many from Archie, the main exception is TMNT Adventures but that was all produced in-house at Mirage, not at Archie (the exception being, I believe, the Year of the Turtle mini-series, which hasn't been reprinted). However it's just as likley that while this was a real deal, Archie never did it with Sega and Ken's talking out of his arse again, or Archie had changed the details of thier agreement with Sega by the reboot (do I remember somene saying about how Archie made sure everyone was properly contracted up properly after/during the court case?). If those documents are half-way accurate then theoreticaly they must have *shrug*. 

Again, grains of salt needs to be taken with this post. 

I found this admittedly a little hard to follow.  But our sticking point was whether the reprint issues would even be relevant to him, since they’d be well after he stopped work for the company.

Looks like he started the coloring on Lara-Su and of course, he's got her in the Sukini because...who knows? Survival? Gotta love that attempt at a "powerful" pose, maybe trying to take a page out of Ganondorf's book.

And I don't see her nose ring either.

Also, a blast from the past on Sonic's former "name":

Well, aside from the tweets regarding Rotor's sexuality, he had this "interesting" tidbit to say:

1 minute ago, Promethean0416 said:

Well, aside from the tweets regarding Rotor's sexuality, he had this "interesting" tidbit to say:

So, Julie-Su is non binary?

1 hour ago, Promethean0416 said:

Kinda curious then what the binary in this equation is meant to be if this is a civilization without gender designations at all. Given what happened when people tried to explain asexuality to him, I really don't foresee this ending well.

Or rather, it wouldn't if he were to actually publish this. Until we actually see any of this in action, none of these statements mean anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

>A definitive statement

reminder that this 'definitive statement' was Rotor being called 'my dear' literally one time and that's it, and the intention of this literally only became evident because Penders himself later confirmed what the line was meant to be saying.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

>A definitive statement

reminder that this 'definitive statement' was Rotor being called 'my dear' literally one time and that's it, and the intention of this literally only became evident because Penders himself later confirmed what the line was meant to be saying.

With Cobar using the same language also supposedly meant to be a similar indicator. Revelations that came only after Cobar had been killed off and Rotor brutalized in 30YL, the timing of which lead to labels of homophobia being lobbed Flynn's way by some. Which was surely just a coincidence on the part of Penders, who would NEVER engage in behavior that would defame his successor in the comics.

• Absolutely 1

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

So, Julie-Su is non binary?

He’s just pulling that out of his ass.  He refers to Julie Su and Knuckles/Knox by their genders and clearly establishes that they’re Lara Su’s mother and father.  In addition, he has them act stereotypically in their gender roles.  He’s just being dumb, as always.

• Thumbs Up 1

If a system is "binary and non," that's a binary system. Nonbinary, by definition, exists out of a binary. This man has no idea what he's talking about.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, babsiwuff said:

He’s just pulling that out of his ass.  He refers to Julie Su and Knuckles/Knox by their genders and clearly establishes that they’re Lara Su’s mother and father.  In addition, he has them act stereotypically in their gender roles.  He’s just being dumb, as always.

He believed in their gender roles so much he made Julie a trad-wife in 25YL (despite being part of a common-law marriage). Hell, he made Queen of Mobius Sally into a trad-wife.

It's s just opportunism, plain and simple, and yet another example of how Penders doesn't really see any of the characters he writes as having set, defined character traits. Everything is mutable depending on whatever he thinks will earn him praise or attention or Progressive Brownie Points, but in the end it just means that nothing he writes has any real substance.

It's an incredibly clinical and utilitarian view of fiction, bordering on corporate.

53 minutes ago, Mega said:

If a system is "binary and non," that's a binary system. Nonbinary, by definition, exists out of a binary. This man has no idea what he's talking about.

When has he ever?

• Thumbs Up 2

Seems he has made progress on the shirt drawing design (still debating if I can post that here after seeing its sketch first) and he gave Lara-Su some extra accessories, including a familiar one which looks like a gem that Knuckles once used in the comics. Was that gem something Penders came up with or someone else?

Seems he has made progress on the shirt drawing design (still debating if I can post that here after seeing its sketch first) and he gave Lara-Su some extra accessories, including a familiar one which looks like a gem that Knuckles once used in the comics. Was that gem something Penders came up with or someone else?

That's the Guiding Star Gem.

image.png.3bffa51816032269dcfb2276f05c9ad5.png

image.png.547037a457e9828abf33352e89bc32d7.png

It's a magic McGuffin that never really went anywhere- it was given to Knuckles by Athair after the big Lost Tribe adventure as a way to get him back to the Floating Island quickly, as it has the power to teleport the owner across Mobius. It can also grant a small degree of precognitive power, as holding it in his hand and concentrating allowed Knuckles to glide down a path in Echidnapolis with his eyes closed, having 'seen' the flight path before him.

Despite these useful abilities it never really got much play in the book. Its only major appearance after its initial introduction was being used by Merlin to bring Amadeus and Rosemary back to Mobius. Either way though, Penders did indeed make that one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Back to this "commission" again:

Am I missing something, or didn't he say a few tweets ago the character was nonbinary now (apparently)? Also, why not focus on finishing one character on this lineup before jumping to the next one? Seems his attention span is all over the place, but I digress...

Back to this "commission" again:

Am I missing something, or didn't he say a few tweets ago the character was nonbinary now (apparently)? Also, why not focus on finishing one character on this lineup before jumping to the next one? Seems his attention span is all over the place, but I digress...

He’s definitely favouring his characters over Sega’s. Sally’s hair looks so flat, yet he puts like individual strands with his echidna girls.

I believe this is safe to post, so update on that shirt design of his again, bouncing to that from his "commission". Looks like he went for Ernie Hud-excuse me, Commander Taelor:

Aside from the Eddie Murphy look (third from the right) and I don't know if the second from the left counts (maybe that's Michael B. Jordan, I don't know), I don't think he ever gave him a mustache...

TNimbUE.jpg

Edited by Promethean0416

55 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

I believe this is safe to post, so update on that shirt design of his again, bouncing to that from his "commission". Looks like he went for Ernie Hud-excuse me, Commander Taelor:

Aside from the Eddie Murphy look (third from the right) and I don't know if the second from the left counts (maybe that's Michael B. Jordan, I don't know), I don't think he ever gave him a mustache...

TNimbUE.jpg

Yeah, Ernie Hudson was my first guess too.  Also, what the hell is going on with Remington?  His face looks gross, and he looks like he has a lazy eye.

• Thumbs Up 2

56 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

Oh my god, Ken just shut up. 

Ken...just stop...