Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Just now, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Can't tell if you're being facetious, since he more or less did precisely that.

No, I legitimately did not know he did that, or at least do not remember it. He does so much idiotic nonsense that it becomes difficult to recount all of it.

Good lord, I was just trying to state something downright utterly ridiculous. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Absolutely 1

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No, I legitimately did not know he did that, or at least do not remember it. He does so much idiotic nonsense that it becomes difficult to recount all of it.

For reference:

Tried to link to this, since direct exposure to Penders' Twitter is ill-advised, and it just popped up like this instead. Hope that's okay.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 2

9 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Endgame had everyone get hit with the idioticy ball as they believed Sonic is capable of murder, capable of murdering someone he loved, and the only reason anyone stops believing that is because dragons now suddenly have magical truth detection abilities (never brought up before). This is coming from the man who also believes he should own Knuckles because "his stories brought value to the character".

Not to mention the truly brilliant plot where Robotnik concocts a plan to frame Sonic for murder, which involves inventing a Sonic suit that makes anyone wearing it see people as Snively, teaming up with a Mobian despite his hatred of them, trusting that Mobian to convince his girlfriend to wear the suit and kill "Snively" so Sonic would be hailed as a hero, and hope that the person wearing the suit never happened to look at anyone other than Sally while wearing it.

All while he could've just, you know, put a Sonic suit on a Metal Sonic instead.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Absolutely 1

On 5/15/2019 at 5:58 AM, horridus said:

Aaand we have a tiny LSC update. Oh, nothing as substantial as a new page, but that "Dr. Zephyr" has been sketched out.

Though I wish to God he hadn't been. God, I mistook the collar of his outfit as being his neck folds...!

You know, as a side note, but I cannot help but feel that this guy exists purely because Dr. Starline is enjoying a great deal of popularity thanks to IDW. 

I don't think so.

Dr Zephyr is in the rough pages I translated a little more than one year ago, with no design though.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

10 hours ago, Tylinos said:

Not to mention the truly brilliant plot where Robotnik concocts a plan to frame Sonic for murder, which involves inventing a Sonic suit that makes anyone wearing it see people as Snively, teaming up with a Mobian despite his hatred of them, trusting that Mobian to convince his girlfriend to wear the suit and kill "Snively" so Sonic would be hailed as a hero, and hope that the person wearing the suit never happened to look at anyone other than Sally while wearing it.

All while he could've just, you know, put a Sonic suit on a Metal Sonic instead.

Indeed. To say nothing of the fact that Sonic by that point had been framed at least THREE times in the past, and the FFs were aware that Robotnik could make robot duplicates that look exactly like real people. Or the fact that the arc takes several beats directly from 'The Fugitive'. Or the fact that the outcome of Endgame was more thanks to Snively than Sonic. 

Like, from an objective standpoint, as far as 'Greatest Storylines' go, this one is pretty shoddily executed and haphazard. A lot of it only works because Penders as the author forces it to, without regard for anything beyond seeing the story get from point A to point B. Likewise, his given logic for what makes it the 'greatest', that it reset the status quo and as such everything that came after is based upon it, rings pretty hollow given the other issues where the status quo was reset, such as Issue 75, Issue 125, Eggman Empire and so forth. He's essentially demanding that he be recognized as having greater importance and influence over subsequent storylines than he has rightfully earned. 

7 hours ago, Adamis said:

I don't think so.

Dr Zephyr is in the rough pages I translated a little more than one year ago, with no design though.

Duly noted, but I maintain that it's still not a good look to suddenly go on about his own Doctor character while IDW is getting praise for the one that they introduced in the comics, between his history of ragging on the book and cheerfully lifting shit from other franchises. 

• My Emmerdoods 1

On 5/14/2019 at 10:58 PM, horridus said:

Aaand we have a tiny LSC update. Oh, nothing as substantial as a new page, but that "Dr. Zephyr" has been sketched out.

Though I wish to God he hadn't been. God, I mistook the collar of his outfit as being his neck folds...!

You know, as a side note, but I cannot help but feel that this guy exists purely because Dr. Starline is enjoying a great deal of popularity thanks to IDW. 

Ok forget how ungodly awful he looks...why is there still a Mysterious CAT Country when every one either has scientific animal names or stupid Sci-Fi terms for species names? I guess "Mysterious Feline Country" doesn't have the same ring.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

29 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

Ok forget how ungodly awful he looks...why is there still a Mysterious CAT Country when every one either has scientific animal names or stupid Sci-Fi terms for species names? I guess "Mysterious Feline Country" doesn't have the same ring.

Too much of a nice ring to change.

Also, they weren't actually major characters.

• My Emmerdoods 1

6 hours ago, horridus said:

To say nothing of the fact that Sonic by that point had been framed at least THREE times in the past, and the FFs were aware that Robotnik could make robot duplicates that look exactly like real people. 

Yeah, my young thoughts at the time we're that Sonic and Tails should just leave the Freedom Fighters after that, since they apparently didn't trust him.

• Way Past Cool 1

I actually like the Endgame saga. Not to say any of the criticisms aren't valid, there are plotholes you can drive trucks through, the whole Sonic disguise thing especially is very bizarrely convoluted and seems like could of been replaced with something far more simple. Not to mention my complaint with it is that for essentially a climatic storyline, I do think Sally should of been a part of it since at this point in the Archie series, she is the second main character behind Sonic.

But I dunno, I like how much of a climax it is. Robotnik comes so close to winning, the Freedom Fighters are torn apart, Sonic is on the run, Sally is presumed dead, all the major characters at the time get to do a little something. I think it does try to pull out all the stops for an end of an era story and in that respect, I think it works. I actually really like the ending when Sonic finds Sally and kisses her, even if it is cliche.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 2

It was very much a product of its time. You appreciate it for what it was trying to be, but flinch at the ridiculousness of what actually comprised it.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

I can't wait until I eventually reach Endgame in my back-log reading. 

Again, I'm mostly familiar with Issues 160 and beyond.

I have 10 issues before that, from 150 to 159 but I hated all of those and they all looked ugly. 

• Nice Smile 1

14 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I have 10 issues before that, from 150 to 159 but I hated all of those and they all looked ugly. 

Oof. My sympathies. That period is literally the WORST period in the comic, bar none. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

Oof. My sympathies. That period is literally the WORST period in the comic, bar none. 

It was interesting to say the least. When I finally decided I wanted to catch up on the comic, my grandpa ordered the issues from as far back as they offered and 150 onward is where it landed. I've never read any of what happened before 150 but those 10 issues were some of the worst, most confusing, horrendous looking, vomit inducing things I'd ever seen in association with Sonic. It sucked even more knowing that some of the covers actually had the characters looking right on them.

I had no clue what the deal was with the Golden Gamma robot clone that was guarding a corpse was about or why everyone looked like they were made of silly string and melted skin. 

So when things started to look better at 160, I just put those in the binder as my starting point and left the other 10 out. I still have them. They're collecting dust in a dresser next to me. 

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

27 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It was interesting to say the least. When I finally decided I wanted to catch up on the comic, my grandpa ordered the issues from as far back as they offered and 150 onward is where it landed. I've never read any of what happened before 150 but those 10 issues were some of the worst, most confusing, horrendous looking, vomit inducing things I'd ever seen in association with Sonic. It sucked even more knowing that some of the covers actually had the characters looking right on them.

I had no clue what the deal was with the Golden Gamma robot clone that was guarding a corpse was about or why everyone looked like they were made of silly string and melted skin. 

So when things started to look better at 160, I just put those in the binder as my starting point and left the other 10 out. I still have them. They're collecting dust in a dresser next to me. 

Something about protecting Robotnik's distant ancestor after he froze himself before the Xorda retaliated. 

• Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, DabigRG said:

Something about protecting Robotnik's distant ancestor after he froze himself before the Xorda retaliated. 

The "Xorda" were a thing I've heard whispers about too. Again though, I only remember them being mentioned and shown fighting with the Black Arms. There was an issue where Gerald explained that the Black Arms were coming back but then someone, I think it was Sonic, said they were fighting with the Xorda.

Which to me was code for "We can't put the Black Arms in the book so here's our explanation for why we're not doing the Shadow the Hedgehog adaptation". 

I don't know who or what the Xorda really are though but I'll find out on my journey through these old ass books.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • My Emmerdoods 1

1 minute ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

The "Xorda" were a thing I've heard whispers about too. Again though, I only remember them being mentioned and shown fighting with the Black Arms. There was an issue where Gerald explained that the Black Arms were coming back but then someone, I think it was Sonic, said they were fighting with the Xorda.

Which to me was code for "We can't put the Black Arms in the book so here's our explanation for why we're not doing the Shadow the Hedgehog adaptation". 

I don't know who or what the Xorda really are though but I'll find out on my journey through these old ass books.

They're not that complicated,to be honest. Just call them Minor Major Characters. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Promotion 1

24 minutes ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Oh-ho, you're gonna 'love' this- that Golden Gamma clone was called "Isaac", and it was created by Dr. Ivan Robotnik, the ancestor of Eggman born June 6, 2006 (06/06/06... yes, really). Ivan Robotnik was the scientist who abducted the Xorda emissary (those one eyed alien squid things), and as such is indirectly responsible for the creation of Mobius given that they gene-bombed the planet in retaliation, which resulted in the creation of Mobians and everything else. He squirreled himself away in a cryo-chamber, and Isaac was deployed to guard and eventually re-awaken him.

It's pretty clear that Penders was intending on him becoming a new major villain, given the oh so subtle birth-date of '666', buuut when Flynn came on board, he basically retconned that Ivan had been dead for a while now and that Isaac's robotic mind had rotted to the point where he was basically crazy. 

• Thumbs Up 5
  • My Emmerdoods 1

3 minutes ago, horridus said:

Oh-ho, you're gonna 'love' this- that Golden Gamma clone was called "Isaac", and it was created by Dr. Ivan Robotnik, the ancestor of Eggman born June 6, 2006 (06/06/06... yes, really). Ivan Robotnik was the scientist who abducted the Xorda emissary (those one eyed alien squid things), and as such is indirectly responsible for the creation of Mobius given that they gene-bombed the planet in retaliation, which resulted in the creation of Mobians and everything else. He squirreled himself away in a cryo-chamber, and Isaac was deployed to guard and eventually re-awaken him.

It's pretty clear that Penders was intending on him becoming a new major villain, given the oh so subtle birth-date of '666', buuut when Flynn came on board, he basically retconned that Ivan had been dead for a while now and that Isaac's robotic mind had rotted to the point where he was basically crazy. 

I honestly did not know about the specific date. :lol

• My Emmerdoods 1

1 hour ago, horridus said:

I understood about half of that. I'm gonna need to get a bit further in my readings it looks like because laughing at that sounds like it'll be fun.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

On 5/15/2019 at 7:46 PM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

For reference:

Tried to link to this, since direct exposure to Penders' Twitter is ill-advised, and it just popped up like this instead. Hope that's okay.

"We're in the endgame now" whispers Dr.Strange, mentally congratulating himself for an obscure reference to an old Sonic the Hedgehog comic book.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Chuckle 4

1 hour ago, CleverSonicUsername said:

"We're in the endgame now" whispers Dr.Strange, mentally congratulating himself for an obscure reference to an old Sonic the Hedgehog comic book.

"You ever read that really old comic? Sonic the Hedgehog?" - Doctor Stephen Vincent Strange, M.D., Ph.D

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 4
  • My Emmerdoods 1
  • Way Past Cool 1

22 hours ago, Silvereyes said:

It was such an impressive story, they named a chess move after it.

Dr.Strange draws arcane symbols in the air and pulls forth from a pocket dimension his Sonic the Hedgehog chess set. Dormammu's first mistake was allowing Strange to pick the rules of engagement.

edit:

Strange: "Ok, I'll be playing as the Mobians, and you will be the Badniks..."
Dormammu: "What is a... 'badnik'?"

Strange, smirking: "Glad you asked."

• Chuckle 4
  • Fist Bump 2

On 5/18/2019 at 10:22 AM, Silvereyes said:

It was such an impressive story, they named a chess move after it.

Or which came first

On 5/17/2019 at 10:18 PM, CleverSonicUsername said:

This is a weird mcu and sonic crossover 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:24 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

I understood about half of that. I'm gonna need to get a bit further in my readings it looks like because laughing at that sounds like it'll be fun.

Ok

On 5/17/2019 at 1:21 AM, DabigRG said:

I honestly did not know about the specific date. :lol

Me neither 

On 5/17/2019 at 1:17 AM, horridus said:

So Ken is the anti Chris or false prophet you make the call

On 5/17/2019 at 1:14 AM, DabigRG said:

They're not that complicated,to be honest. Just call them Minor Major Characters. 

Minor but they still have some stories but not enough to effect the plot

On 5/17/2019 at 1:12 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Ken ripped off 2001 a space odyssey!

On 5/17/2019 at 1:00 AM, DabigRG said:

Ok that was the most complicated evil plot I ever heard even for eggman 

On 5/17/2019 at 12:31 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

Good for you

On 5/17/2019 at 12:16 AM, horridus said:

Same here

On 5/17/2019 at 12:01 AM, Dr. Detective Mike said:

How ugly are we talking about?

On 5/16/2019 at 11:50 PM, DabigRG said:

It was very much a product of its time. You appreciate it for what it was trying to be, but flinch at the ridiculousness of what actually comprised it.

Yeah it has the late 90’s and early 2000’s written all over it the 90’s won’t dies

On 5/16/2019 at 10:46 PM, Silvereyes said:

I actually like the Endgame saga. Not to say any of the criticisms aren't valid, there are plotholes you can drive trucks through, the whole Sonic disguise thing especially is very bizarrely convoluted and seems like could of been replaced with something far more simple. Not to mention my complaint with it is that for essentially a climatic storyline, I do think Sally should of been a part of it since at this point in the Archie series, she is the second main character behind Sonic.

But I dunno, I like how much of a climax it is. Robotnik comes so close to winning, the Freedom Fighters are torn apart, Sonic is on the run, Sally is presumed dead, all the major characters at the time get to do a little something. I think it does try to pull out all the stops for an end of an era story and in that respect, I think it works. I actually really like the ending when Sonic finds Sally and kisses her, even if it is cliche.

That plot was shittiest eggman plots I ever seen in a while

On 5/16/2019 at 5:33 PM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Yeah, my young thoughts at the time we're that Sonic and Tails should just leave the Freedom Fighters after that, since they apparently didn't trust him.

Yeah he could of just left and Stared a new group of freedom fighters or something 

On 5/16/2019 at 5:23 PM, DabigRG said:

Too much of a nice ring to change.

Also, they weren't actually major characters.

Ok

On 5/16/2019 at 4:53 PM, SBR2 said:

I made me puke when I saw it

On 5/16/2019 at 11:04 AM, horridus said:

Indeed. To say nothing of the fact that Sonic by that point had been framed at least THREE times in the past, and the FFs were aware that Robotnik could make robot duplicates that look exactly like real people. Or the fact that the arc takes several beats directly from 'The Fugitive'. Or the fact that the outcome of Endgame was more thanks to Snively than Sonic. 

Like, from an objective standpoint, as far as 'Greatest Storylines' go, this one is pretty shoddily executed and haphazard. A lot of it only works because Penders as the author forces it to, without regard for anything beyond seeing the story get from point A to point B. Likewise, his given logic for what makes it the 'greatest', that it reset the status quo and as such everything that came after is based upon it, rings pretty hollow given the other issues where the status quo was reset, such as Issue 75, Issue 125, Eggman Empire and so forth. He's essentially demanding that he be recognized as having greater importance and influence over subsequent storylines than he has rightfully earned. 

Duly noted, but I maintain that it's still not a good look to suddenly go on about his own Doctor character while IDW is getting praise for the one that they introduced in the comics, between his history of ragging on the book and cheerfully lifting shit from other franchises. 

Great explanation 

On 5/16/2019 at 4:01 AM, Adamis said:

I don't think so.

Ok

On 5/16/2019 at 12:51 AM, Tylinos said:

Dammit robonik

On 5/15/2019 at 4:39 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

July 1966 is when the character was introduced into Fantastic Four before getting his own comic.

I know some it’s of that story

On 5/15/2019 at 4:40 PM, DabigRG said:

Woah, him too?

Yep

On 5/15/2019 at 4:43 PM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Can't tell if you're being facetious, since he more or less did precisely that.

I not so sure

On 5/15/2019 at 4:45 PM, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Dammit ken

On 5/15/2019 at 9:46 PM, KingScoopaKoopa said:

For reference:

I saw that and for some reason it made me hulk out