Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Aaaand now in purple!

Well, I'll give him this- it looks SOMEWHAT less incompetent thanks to it no longer looking like he can't blend the image background with the shirt itself. 

• Nice Smile 1

That looks literally like you stuck a square picture onto a T-Shirt without even trying to make it look seamless. It literally looks like you glued a piece of paper on a standard top.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1

"I've got shirts, mugs, pens, and an app to plug my awesome comic series!"

"Awesome man. Can I read it?"

"Oh, it doesn't exist."

• Thumbs Up 6
  • Chuckle 3

Geez Ken, not only do you rip off existing backgrounds if you look up things like "sunset background" on google images....you're ripping off album covers and using the same font.  Totally original, don't copyright, it's mine...

7 minutes ago, SatAMhog said:

Geez Ken, not only do you rip off existing backgrounds if you look up things like "sunset background" on google images....you're ripping off album covers and using the same font.  Totally original, don't copyright, it's mine...

To be fair, Sonic comic have been doing that for years. 

2 hours ago, DabigRG said:

To be fair, Sonic comic have been doing that for years. 

When Ken was working on Archie, yes!  The amount of Star Wars references alone in the main book and the photo backgrounds he used when writing and doing the art on certain back up stories with Knuckles alone was bad enough.  At least any references in the main book are more inspired by other sources and not straight rips of an existing cover with matching font. 😕

Come on, he's getting better.

Every face on shirt is half hidden, thus making whole thing 50% less ugly.

In fact, remember when Penders drew "Naugus Games"?

Spoiler

QWmr5bym3GWnDtzfy99pRXLuX4UMfZ6zZ5HzFsDi

Honestly that approach could be an improvement. Plus he might actually finish the damn thing.

• Chuckle 1

42 minutes ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

Come on, he's getting better.

Every face on shirt is half hidden, thus making whole thing 50% less ugly.

In fact, remember when Penders drew "Naugus Games"?

Hide contents

QWmr5bym3GWnDtzfy99pRXLuX4UMfZ6zZ5HzFsDi

Honestly that approach could be an improvement. Plus he might actually finish the damn thing.

To be fair, that wasn't Penders, that was Many Hands.

• Nice Smile 1
  • Chuckle 1

2 hours ago, PublicEnemy1 said:

To be fair, that wasn't Penders, that was Many Hands.

Many Hands was, as far as I know, the first instance of Ken trying to color his own art and showing how absolutely god-awful he was at it. I don't think he ever officially owned up to it, but the similarities between the two Many Hands issues and his current Lara-Su art are too glaring to be a coincidence.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Legendary Emerald said:

Many Hands was, as far as I know, the first instance of Ken trying to color his own art and showing how absolutely god-awful he was at it. I don't think he ever officially owned up to it, but the similarities between the two Many Hands issues and his current Lara-Su art are too glaring to be a coincidence.

What are you talking about? Ken had nothing to do with Many Hands art.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Legendary Emerald said:

Ken was not the artist Many Hands, Many Hands was most likely someone at Archie that was asked to full in due to a lack of artist avaibale and they lacked the budget to get one one their better guest artist, Penders art style was always pretty obvious as you could tell he struggled making the cartoon characters not too human 

mxyl84.thumb.jpg.454f6e8828b1a95a8158c48f3ff3e2e6.jpg

I think I know what you mean with the coloring because yes when Penders colors his own work he tends to abuse the dodge and burn tools, and it seems to happen in the Many Hands issue of the Satam episode

1751671089_download(3).jpeg.f780f6507e98516b78536d43a61e77c6.jpeg( example of Ken doing his own coloring)

RCO026.thumb.jpg.ceded100f4d40590ee4efe9595475af5.jpg

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, SatAMhog said:

When Ken was working on Archie, yes!  The amount of Star Wars references alone in the main book and the photo backgrounds he used when writing and doing the art on certain back up stories with Knuckles alone was bad enough.  At least any references in the main book are more inspired by other sources and not straight rips of an existing cover with matching font. 😕

To be a little fair, at least the Millenium Falcon was more on Manny Galan or whoever did the Fiona and Ray story. Unless it showed up after that.

And I was referring to the covers in general.

12 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

Ken was not the artist Many Hands, Many Hands was most likely someone at Archie that was asked to full in due to a lack of artist avaibale and they lacked the budget to get one one their better guest artist, Penders art style was always pretty obvious as you could tell he struggled making the cartoon characters not too human 

mxyl84.thumb.jpg.454f6e8828b1a95a8158c48f3ff3e2e6.jpg

I almost asked what issue that was until I saw the Kragok-esque eye. I was also intending on commenting on how sorta touching that panel seems. 

18 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

I think I know what you mean with the coloring because yes when Penders colors his own work he tends to abuse the dodge and burn tools, and it seems to happen in the Many Hands issue of the Satam episode

1751671089_download(3).jpeg.f780f6507e98516b78536d43a61e77c6.jpeg( example of Ken doing his own coloring)

Oh yeah, I remember coming across those somewhat. That cover with Myotismon in particular.

Wasn't Many Hands an artist/penciler, though?

20 minutes ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

RCO026.thumb.jpg.ceded100f4d40590ee4efe9595475af5.jpg

.image.png.4b5cf65314ab5f32245d20bee1939216.png

• Chuckle 1

45 minutes ago, DabigRG said:

To be a little fair, at least the Millenium Falcon was more on Manny Galan or whoever did the Fiona and Ray story. Unless it showed up after that.

The dialogue acknowledges it vaguely, if I remember correctly, which would seem to imply it was in the script Penders wrote.

1 hour ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

The dialogue acknowledges it vaguely, if I remember correctly, which would seem to imply it was in the script Penders wrote.

Indeed.

yKGXsQG.png

It is difficult to ascertain. That being said, I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that the artist in question, Steven Butler, would simply wholesale add the Millenium Falcon on a whim. Particularly given that this tidbit of information comes from Penders himself, a man who has a somewhat strained relationship with the truth. 

There was a mini-series dedicated to its launch and subsequent downing.

Image result for DEath Egg archie

Rather true to the source at that.

Well, the design was anyway, the story on the other hand was an entirely different matter. 

3 hours ago, Kellodrawsalot said:

That issue was colored by Josh and Aimee Ray, who were regular colorists around then so it wasn't unique to any particular colorist. Yeah, Penders does it a lot too, but it's not really a surprise his approach is probably on the dated side.

Archie around this time also was just obsessed with digital techniques that were sometimes a detriment to the art. Just look at most of Spaz's covers that have tons of overlays and transparencies that are confused and muddled with the coloring and you'll probably see it.

• Nice Smile 1

2 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Oh does it? 

43 minutes ago, horridus said:

Indeed.

yKGXsQG.png

It is difficult to ascertain. That being said, I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that the artist in question, Steven Butler, would simply wholesale add the Millenium Falcon on a whim. Particularly given that this tidbit of information comes from Penders himself, a man who has a somewhat strained relationship with the truth. 

Hmm...that is a bit ambiguous, but since that's presumably from the Chaos Knuckles arc, I suppose there's some objective credence to be had there. 

Also, dat pink ponytail. 

24 minutes ago, horridus said:

There was a mini-series dedicated to its launch and subsequent downing.

Image result for DEath Egg archie

Rather true to the source at that.

Well, the design was anyway, the story on the other hand was an entirely different matter. 

To be fair, the Death Egg didn't do much in the games proper. The comic just filled in the blanks as usual with what could be plausible for context. 

The first Death Egg was such a waste in the comics. At least Ian got some good use out of the second one.

This is just a personal opinion, but I didn’t really like how Ken Represented relationships in the comics either. I love romance stories but sonic the hedgehog ISN’T a series you want to center romance around the way ken penders did. He took relationships way too far, including the introduction of banging furries. If some young  female animal wasn’t banging another male older animal then he would lose his MIND. I like romantic spins on things, sure, but sometimes the romance included was just... poorly written and uncalled for. I wasn’t the biggest Archie comic fan so I can’t claim I know EVERYTHING about the Archie comics, but expert or not, you kinda have to agree that Ken Penders did take it a littleeee too far when he made a 16 year old blue hedgehog into a womanizer...

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 2
  • Too Many Rings 1

4 hours ago, Zaysho said:

That issue was colored by Josh and Aimee Ray, who were regular colorists around then so it wasn't unique to any particular colorist. Yeah, Penders does it a lot too, but it's not really a surprise his approach is probably on the dated side.

Archie around this time also was just obsessed with digital techniques that were sometimes a detriment to the art. Just look at most of Spaz's covers that have tons of overlays and transparencies that are confused and muddled with the coloring and you'll probably see it.

Ah you are very much right, its sort of puzzeling that Penders still uses that coloring technique for his Lara Su Chronicles

Going back to Many Hands for a second: I’m pretty sure Many Hands isn’t a single person, as in, the art under that name is literally just a bunch of random people doing bits and pieces.

Because “many hands make light work”.

• Thumbs Up 6

11 hours ago, Ernest the Panda said:

Going back to Many Hands for a second: I’m pretty sure Many Hands isn’t a single person, as in, the art under that name is literally just a bunch of random people doing bits and pieces.

Because “many hands make light work”.

I believe that.

I also believe that no one would want their name associated with such trash. And I still suspect Ken had the biggest yaoi hand in the pot.

350?cb=20170705031955

It's not often brought up, because its far from Ken's worst, but this was the cover art he produced for the SatAM dvd boxset. Wonder how many hands were on this one.

36 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1140676613534703616

Penders plans to release the "Remastered" version of Mobius 25 Years Later with a new ending and "More Surprises" hopefully one of which is that it's made not mind numbingly dull.

No clue how he plans to do this without getting sued or anything but ok. 

Remastered in the sense that he removes what characters and elements won't be in the Lara-SU Chronicles, one hopes.

But hey, at least he's working to get something else released.