Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

I think it's all the excessive wrinkles on their faces and the shading bringing it out.  The effect doesn't work partly because it's pseudorealism on obviously cartoonish characters, but I think it's overemphasised even on top of that.  I wouldn't call myself an artistic or visual design expert by any means, but it's easy to see when something is wrong, even if you can't quite articulate what it is.  ...I feel like Ken's art would benefit from being much simpler in style.  It's unfortunate that he wants to produce a serious and realistic comic about Sonic characters wearing human wigs.

• Thumbs Up 8

Sweet merciful *Christ*. Their lips. Their collagen infused *lips*...! Good God is that meant to be Julie-Su? To make her look like a working mom he had to  switch gears and turn her into an old granny?? Cripes. When people were asking for redesigns, this isn't what they were talking about.... geeezum crow, man, how does he just keep getting worse at this. 

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

...And yet, somehow, the new art for Xero actually looks decent.  Odd proportions aside, it's actually not bad at all, especially for Ken.  It's just a shame it's shoved behind quite possibly the worst picture of Julie-Su he's ever drawn.

Ah, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't new art- it's art from a T-Shirt image he made a while back.

CJUk6uJUYAAL6r0.jpg

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

xgNb4uQ.png

Lara Su and Julie Su's art is the only new thing here. 

And it still dosent look good. The shading looks metallic, it also makes some proportions look really weird. (Lara Su's shoulder looks more bony.) Wrinkles are making both Lara and Julie look really old. Which isn't supposed to be the case, Lara Su is supposed to be a teenager right?

Proportions aside, the muscles really don't work for Xero. In fact the artwork here is just really badly drawn human proportions with the Sega echidna head on it. Weren't these dudes supposed to be aliens? E'chynidas or something?! (Screw this, I'm calling them echidnas).

And Julie Su's designs keep getting worse and inconsistent? From a pink echidna to a red one, I thought it was some other echidna at first.

The hair makes things worse! For Julie Su it looks fused and with the locks coming out it just looks really bad.

• Thumbs Up 7

Yep, they're supposedly aliens now, even though they still retain the Human based names that most of them possess, and you are quite correct, they are now called 'Echyd'nya'... because evidently that's easier to read and pronounce than 'Echidna'. The fact that they are SEGA Echidna squeezed into a more human shape is a little detail that Penders would rather pretend is not so. Because that might indicate that, despite past statements, Penders is in fact still trying to ride the coattails of a franchise he claims he doesn't need. 

Aaand yeah, Julie's design is just... atrocious. I'm astounded that he keeps getting worse and worse at this. Rather than a 'party girl', she now looks like someone's grandmother. At this rate it's a wonder she's even called Julie-Su when she looks *totally* different from who she was. 

• Thumbs Up 7

6 hours ago, horridus said:

Ah, hate to be the bearer of bad news, but that isn't new art- it's art from a T-Shirt image he made a while back.

...Oh.  I forgot about that.  Welp, so much for it being the only decent 'new' art.

3 hours ago, horridus said:

At this rate it's a wonder she's even called Julie-Su when she looks *totally* different from who she was. 

I still buy it more than I buy that the mustached deliveryman in a trucker hat is Remington.

• Thumbs Up 4

That is quite frankly one of the worst pieces of art I have ever seen in my life. Like, most artists typically improve as time goes on but Penders manages to be in that rare category of artist that somehow systematically keeps getting worse and worse as time goes on and his art wasn't even very good to begin with.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Because she's a mom, duh.

I have the same question but aimed at Lara-Su herself.

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe she's pregnant then? That would make her mother sooner than later at least...

I've seen R34 artists with more talent than what's shown in that picture.

...not that I would know anything about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, FFWF said:

I think it's all the excessive wrinkles on their faces and the shading bringing it out.  The effect doesn't work partly because it's pseudorealism on obviously cartoonish characters, but I think it's overemphasised even on top of that.  I wouldn't call myself an artistic or visual design expert by any means, but it's easy to see when something is wrong, even if you can't quite articulate what it is.  ...I feel like Ken's art would benefit from being much simpler in style.  It's unfortunate that he wants to produce a serious and realistic comic about Sonic characters wearing human wigs.

I feel like Ken's art would benefit from being on fire.

I want to say something about trying again, but unfortunately, Penders has proven that practice doesn't make perfect.

Looks like it might be time for me to dig out my version of Lara-Su again. Geez that art is just... ehh it's like looking at a bad painting. *shudders thinking about my paintings I did at TAFE*

• Thumbs Up 2

20 hours ago, Tylinos said:

So, Ken updated his Twitter header.

xgNb4uQ.png

How the heck did the art for Lara-Su and Julie-Su manage to get worse?  Okay, Lara-Su I can give a pass to because it's a weird pose, but Julie-Su is just...  That's not even remotely how hair works!  How did that even happen?  I guess "makeover to make it clear she's a working mom and not a party girl" means "completely change her appearance and toss some weird fabric on her head".

...And yet, somehow, the new art for Xero actually looks decent.  Odd proportions aside, it's actually not bad at all, especially for Ken.  It's just a shame it's shoved behind quite possibly the worst picture of Julie-Su he's ever drawn.

For a teen Lara Su  looks a lot older, and as for Julie su, that just goes against the character, at least in M25YL, she was out of character, but decent enough, now she looks too much of a working mom,I think a bit too much eldery, and the wig?? I still think the way ken drew his visor is amateurish, I thought that when Dawn Best was helping Ken, although perhaps in a minor way, that she might prove to be a good example for ken, guess he's not one for learning =(

And yes, you're right, that is the worst picture of Julie su i have ever seen

• Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, Flyinpenguin117 said:

I've seen R34 artists with more talent than what's shown in that picture.

...not that I would know anything about that.

Agreed.

...Not that I Know anything about that. <_< >_>

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

LOOK AT HER WEIST

Her Why-st?

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, chaosjam said:

I hate to do this to everyone...I really do but...Good Morning:

Jeezum Crow. Her waist. What the hell is wrong with her *waist*???

• Thumbs Up 2