Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Yeah, it's very odd for Ken to push apps when the book has yet to be released. Personally, the whole thing doesn't anger me. I just find everything up to this point to be incredibly perplexing. He's going about this completely the wrong way. I understand the need to generate buzz for your material, but there's no material on the market. There's no demand yet for any of these bells and whistles. That's why none of them have sold. He's doing everything backward. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that Ken is far more interested in the idea of making money then creating material that stands the test of time. Everything about TL-SC feels like it was put together with only the most soulless intentions driving its creation. I just feel like the end result of all his effort will be a disposable form of creative expression with no real love poured into its production. 

I don't want to attack Ken as a human being. I may not appreciate his antics, but he's still a human being with feelings and a family. I simply don't understand why he does all the stuff he's done for the whole world to see. I just find most of what he does to be truly baffling. The man is utterly fascinating to me. 

• Thumbs Up 6

To be fair, I'm sure people have told him on Twitter and/or his own forum not to get ahead of himself. But once he's made up his mind, none of that matters.

Stupidly tiny complain compared to the rest of this; I really wish Ken would change her dress color.

So much light, soft pastels colors on the main character of an action comic seems really jarring, and the purple of her dress and pink of her body seem a bit too close to each other to me, they almost blend together at places. It's not even like the two colors aren't good enough together; why not just make her dress a dark purple, just for some contrast? 

On an unrelated note, looks like he's still going with the stock real life photos for backgrounds. Xero and Mykal look like they're floating. 

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm going to say it:

The black guy in the Ken Penders 'shirt' design looks like an early-mid 90s Eddie Murphy. Maaaybe late 80s.

Ironically enough, someone on twitter made this precise joke.... and it would seem that Penders has considered this very subject, namely an actor to play the role of Taelor. 

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/618595065598849024

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/618596173654310912

Evidently, Anthony Mackie would be the 'lucky' guy. I find it notable that he mentions an actor who recently got a pretty big boost in the public eye for playing Falcon in Captain America 2. 

Ugh. That shirt. Who would want to pay $20-30 for that?

I'm just waiting for the inevitable excuse for him not having the book ready/having a release date for Comic-Con, despite him saying up and down that he would do so.

• Thumbs Up 2

At this point, it would be surprising if he DID have the book out by his date.

That probably won't happen, of course. At this point, I'm wondering if it'll even be finished in his lifetime.

• Thumbs Up 1

If it didn't, would anyone be around to dig up the old debates if archie started using characters related to him again?

I will say this, at least his art has gotten so bad that the characters don't really resemble Sonic characters anymore.

• Thumbs Up 8

Just chiming in to say that, since so many other people have mentioned it, I also was struck by the resemblance between Taelor and Eddie Murphy.  ...It's not possible that he could have used Eddie Murphy as a photo reference, is it?

Stupidly tiny complain compared to the rest of this; I really wish Ken would change her dress color.

So much light, soft pastels colors on the main character of an action comic seems really jarring, and the purple of her dress and pink of her body seem a bit too close to each other to me, they almost blend together at places. It's not even like the two colors aren't good enough together; why not just make her dress a dark purple, just for some contrast?

I agree. Though in my opinion, her entire outfit should be changed. It's just so completely and utterly bland. It makes me think that Ken really didn't have any ideas for outfits for her and so did the most generic thing possible.

I agree. Though in my opinion, her entire outfit should be changed. It's just so completely and utterly bland. It makes me think that Ken really didn't have any ideas for outfits for her and so did the most generic thing possible.

This is the image that comes to mind when I think about his choice in outfit for Lara-Su: 

1019585765.jpg

It's a still from Logan's Run, a sci-fi movie from 1976. As you easily tell, the aesthetics used here haven't aged well. I know I've said this before, but I can't help but feel that Ken is specifically using this dated style of clothing from a film like Logan's Run. I just can't get it out of my head. It wouldn't surprise me if everyone in the cast looked like they lived in the future envisioned by 1970's media. My impression from what we've seen is that TL-SC will come across an incredibly dated even if it came out twenty years ago. 

• Thumbs Up 5

Penders' designs have always looked dated, not to mention ripping off Star Trek and Star Wars (see Winmacher's Darth Vader outfit). He just can't get with the times! All the artwork for LSC looks like something from the 90's, the ugly side of the 90's.

And I know he's trying to promote the comic with merchandise but he's getting ahead of himself way too quickly. T-shirts, phone cases and now bloody apps too? Release your comic before you think big, because it might just blow up in your face!

The idea of a Lara-Su dating simulation is becoming scarily more likely with every piece of shit merchandise and app he releases.

Just chiming in to say that, since so many other people have mentioned it, I also was struck by the resemblance between Taelor and Eddie Murphy.  ...It's not possible that he could have used Eddie Murphy as a photo reference, is it?

Entirely possible.

He's already ripped off Knuckles so why not go and rip off Eddie Murphy as well?

Penders has no originality in him 

♫ Lara-Su likes to party all the time party all the time party are all the time ♫

So I asked him on Twitter if he was going to be showing anything from the book at Comic-Con, he says he'll let me know after he sees his programmer later today. He mentions apps, but nothing about the book, so I'm taking that as a no. If you want to sabatoge a project, hire this man. You won't find any one more qualified.

• Thumbs Up 1

The idea of a Lara-Su dating simulation is becoming scarily more likely with every piece of shit merchandise and app he releases.

Please do not jinx us.

Hm. That is funny. You see, now I know this is shocking. But since it bares repeating.

GET. YOUR. FUCKING. BOOK. OUT. BEFORE. MAKING APPS/MERCHANDISE.

How many fucking times does this need to be said!?

Remind me again how long has he been planning this book? Since 2010? We're in 2015

I have an idea for a T-Shirt

''I read this terrible terrible book and all I got was this lousy T-Shirt!''

Remind me again how long has he been planning this book? Since 2010? We're in 2015

He could always use the excuse that he's a Kubrick level perfectionist.  Takes a long time to make, but when it comes, critics sing.

Yeeeeah, I'm not feeling it.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know, I just realized something really really sad.

In the five/six years he's been doing, how many pages has he done in total? One. That page being the released page of the Geoffrey prelude. Other than that, it's all terrible model sketches, and one short part of a script.

That's really sad Penders. 

• Thumbs Up 2

In the five/six years he's been doing, how many pages has he done in total? One. That page being the released page of the Geoffrey prelude. Other than that, it's all terrible model sketches, and one short part of a script.

That page isn't even going to be in the book is it? I thought it was just a web exclusive or some rubbish. The man needs to learn scheduling better.

• Thumbs Up 1

I actually don't think there's anything inherently wrong with releasing some merchandise before the thing is released. It actually seems to be a fairly common thing to do, and it could probably be a decent way to build up hype. It's just that for it to really have a point first you need a set release date and people already interested in the project. Neither of which Ken has.

Really, the patches or the phone cases could have been a smart move. They could have been used to gauge interest, and depending on what happens he could have acted accordingly (if they sold, make a couple more things, if they didn't, stop).  But, of course, that's not what happened. 

There's not really any reason to believe he's only done one page. Yeah, we haven't seen any others, but he has no reasons to show us his completed images. The only reason he showed that one page was because it was supposed to be part of a free prequel. 

If the guy had the idea that he'd have it done by Comic-Con, even if he missed that date, it seems extremely unlikely he has absolutely nothing done of the main book.

• Thumbs Up 3

I actually don't think there's anything inherently wrong with releasing some merchandise before the thing is released. It actually seems to be a fairly common thing to do, and it could probably be a decent way to build up hype. It's just that for it to really have a point first you need a set release date and people already interested in the project. Neither of which Ken has.

Really, the patches or the phone cases could have been a smart move. They could have been used to gauge interest, and depending on what happens he could have acted accordingly (if they sold, make a couple more things, if they didn't stop).  But, of course, that's not what happened. 

There's not really any reason to believe he's only done one page. Yeah, we haven't seen any others, but he has no reasons to show us his completed images. The only reason he showed that one page was because it was supposed to be part of a free prequel. 

If the guy had the idea that he'd have it done by Comic-Con, even if he missed that date, it seems extremely unlikely he has absolutely nothing done of the main book.

Just keep in mind that he's been realizing plot details and such only as far back as a few months ago, meaning completed pages would have to be redone and reworked in order to include those new ''plot important characters''