Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/618441115780317184

So Ken made a T-Shirt Design, and he's going to be taking Orders for it at Comic-Con. Could this be what he meant would be done in time for Comic-Con?

GET. YOUR. FUCKING. BOOK. RELEASED. BEFORE. MAKING. MERCHANDISE. 

What else is there to say? The art as usual looks incredibly horrid, and if I saw someone wearing this, I would probably burst out in laughter that anyone would be seen in public with something so horrible on. 

While we're at it, how about we take a look at the IPhone cases again:

IPhone Cases: All 3 are still unsold.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'm actually surprised that most of the art on that is new. Except for the ship (I believe) and the ghost of Lien-Da floating around in the back there*. So I suppose congratulations are in order for defying my expectations. Good on you, Pen.

That said, the shading is nonsensical and I don't know what's going on with Lara-Su's entire body.

And Lara-Su's shadow looks like a tree. The shadows in general don't make sense due to the lighting, but that one looks like a tree.

*A friend brought up that Lara-Su is actually reused- that's the sketch he did of her earlier but colored. It's interesting despite people telling him that her limbs were mangled that he made no move to fix them before proceeding to color the image.

Also I'm glad this time Lara-Su isn't in the super duper plot important Su-kini.

• Thumbs Up 4

Hahahaha wow. Juuust wow. As is always the case, this is just atrocious; and as predicted by most, there are at least three images re-used in that picture from other sources, namely the ship, shadowy Lien-Da, and that Lara-Su is from a sketch that was released months back. And Xero and Taylor just look.... unnatural. Then again so does everything else, as per usual. 

Seriously though, guy, release your damn book first. 

Edit: Ninja'd regarding the re-used imagery. 

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm actually surprised that most of the art on that is new. Except for the ship (I believe) and the ghost of Lien-Da floating around in the back there*. So I suppose congratulations are in order for defying my expectations. Good on you, Pen.

That said, the shading is nonsensical and I don't know what's going on with Lara-Su's entire body.

And Lara-Su's shadow looks like a tree. The shadows in general don't make sense due to the lighting, but that one looks like a tree.

*A friend brought up that Lara-Su is actually reused- that's the sketch he did of her earlier but colored. It's interesting despite people telling him that her limbs were mangled that he made no move to fix them before proceeding to color the image.

• Thumbs Up 1

Are you sure? That looks like a new pose and I can only remember one other image of him just standing there fiddling with his tech stick. Did I miss that image before?

If I'm wrong than take my relatively tepid praise down another notch.

No wait, you're right. It's a slightly new pose.

That said, is the Lara-Su pose new? It looks familiar.

• Thumbs Up 2

Because of course he couldn't actually make a original piece of work for it, no no, he had to throw together a bunch of crappy renders together.

release the book first

RelEASE the BOOK FiRST

ugghghhghghgh

Even if I didn't know what the Lara-Su Chronicles was, I would be very weirded out if I saw someone wearing that shirt. Because the art is so...well...not very good, as I think we've established :P

If he actually managed to get all those colors to print properly, it would be sort of impressive, just because of all the different colors and details and whatnot. But of course, it's ruined by the fact that...well...you know...the characters are ugly, horribly designed, and badly drawn.

Is it just me, or is Xero holding his weapon backwards? ...Because that's the major issue with this shirt right.

• Thumbs Up 8

In the interests of thread balance, I'll play Devil's Advocate and say that I think it could be worse.  It gets a lot right in comparison to previous material; as noted, Lara-Su is front and centre, the elements themselves are less numerous and cluttered even if the level of detail in the backgrounds makes the whole image look saturated, and the title is actually positioned sensibly and legibly.  I think it's an improvement.

The poses, unfortunately, are... very stiff.  Mikhael Taelor or whatever his name is in particular looks like he's just jiving there, rather than presumably running dramatically forwards.  Hard to believe I'm saying this, but Ken might pick up some tips from the Boom: Fire & Ice cover art.

Is it just me, or is Xero holding his weapon backwards? ...Because that's the major issue with this shirt right.

Looking at it, it might be double-ended?  The two ends seem sufficiently different that I could see it being like the dagon, a single weapon with multiple uses.

• Thumbs Up 2

"Hmm... So my patches didn't sell, my iPhone cases didn't sell, and I don't have the book out... I know! I'll make T-shirts."

I don't understand this man, he needs to have something from the book, not a shirt. How does he expect anyone to take this seriously?

Instead of taking a break from drawing, he should try to take a break from tweeting. I know it can be addicting, but I think he could get more work done if he'd lay off the social media.

He also needs to stop making merchandise until after this is out, whenever that's going to be.
  • Thumbs Up 6

Eh, that's not the worst art released for this thing. It's not good but still not as horrid as it could be.

• Thumbs Up 3

For a t-shirt design, it's bloody awful. Who'd even want to wear that? You'd be stared at in public because of how gross the artwork looks!

And er, Penders, have you got any more pages done? Because it looks like you have once again not kept to your promise of finishing it before SDCC.

• Thumbs Up 4

Oh yeah, I forgot the Lara-Su Chronicles is a thing.

...That T-Shirt design...

Okay back to forgetting.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm going to say it:

The black guy in the Ken Penders 'shirt' design looks like an early-mid 90s Eddie Murphy. Maaaybe late 80s.

• Thumbs Up 6

More updates from Penders. He's in San Diego now and has announced that on his iPad, at his table, he will have the Prototype versions of not one, but two different Apps that go with The Lara-Su Chronicles, one being the TLSC App he's been talking about, and the other is an app exclusive to the Royal Secret Service.

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/618574462414249984

• Thumbs Up 2

Hm. That is funny. You see, now I know this is shocking. But since it bares repeating.

GET. YOUR. FUCKING. BOOK. OUT. BEFORE. MAKING APPS/MERCHANDISE.

How many fucking times does this need to be said!?

• Thumbs Up 8

Apparently a lot, but that might be because I think he doesn't really browse this forum...