Awoo.

Sonic Boom announced (Wii U/3DS)

Carbo

So I did a bit of digging on Big Red Button's website, and I found some interesting info on the 'Careers' page:http://brbent.com/careers/

The part about working with a deadline concerns me. Rushing comes to mind, but it does look like they are aiming for a high amount of polish.

That's just saying that the want someone that can with reason deliver a good product on time. Like say their task is to design and program an enemy. They want someone that can hopefully get it in working conditions but not someone who is still drawing the enemy on paper by the time a deadline is needed

Ah okay then. Some of Steven Frost's tweets seem to say that they are currently going back over everything, play testing it and balancing it. That would probably mean that they are close to finished, but reviewing and going over everything until they're happy with it.

My bet is he doesn't have it at first but will get it later in gameplay

We don't know how late in the game some of the levels in that trailer were. Sonic might just wear that communicator in the show whenever a scene or plot calls for it.

Is it a possibility that Frostman means that his newer model has the communicator?

• Thumbs Up 1

Is it a possibility that Frostman means that his newer model has the communicator?

My bet is he doesn't have it at first but will get it later in gameplay

These sound legitimately likely and meant to be.

Is the 3DS version meant to have different gameplay to the Wii U version?

Apparently so, along with a different story; I've heard something about the 3DS version having Adventure-esque gameplay to boot.

I'd rather see screenshots or footage of the 3DS version before getting excited for an SA-style game.

Unless it was confirmed by BRB and/or Sanzaru.

Well same here, but a Sonic adventure-type game on a portable platform is something I've wanted most of my life.

There's been no sources saying what the 3DS version is like at all. I don't know where you've for this info from, but unless it can be backed up you're best off ignoring it for now.

"Adventure gameplay" might be referring to the adventure genre and not Sonic Adventure.

Precisely the form of meaning I was going with. Granted, I can see why some might of misunderstood me there.

Like, a slow find-object-solve-puzzle type game? God I hope not, that would completely soil it! Sonic is an action game!

Action/Adventure would be a better example. The "Adventure" genre specifically refers to point-and-click games like King's Quest, Zork and are more about puzzle solving as opposed to action.

What they probably meant is "Action/Adventure." Action/Adventure is not the same as Adventure, and I believe the Sonic Adventure games were really Action/Adventure games as opposed to Platformers. Pretty sure the Wii U Sonic Boom is Action/Adventure as well. Commonly I think people mix up the terms Action, Adventure, and Action/Adventure, and Action/Adventure is a very BROAD term which encompasses a large amount of games.

Not to say that the Adventure Sonic games didn't have Platformer elements, but they were really more Action/Adventure than Platformer. It wasn't until Unleashed and Colors where Platform gameplay started to come back full-scale to 3D Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 2

It would be silly for them to give this version such drastically different gameplay.

Speaking of gameplay, I bought one of the games that BRB obviously took inspiration from, Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, a couple of days ago. Looks like Soniv and his team of fellow anthros are be running around giant open areas, completing missions, main and optional, and using quick combat with fluid animations. Sounds great, but I do hope that we have the series' signature mid-air spin attack (I'm still curious about that spin ball animation in the teaser) and Sonic's spin dash to keep the Sonic feel. I'm sure the game would still be fun without those traditional Sonic moves, seeing the Naughty Dog members' past with platformers, but controversy over the game not feeling like a Sonic game at all is inevitable. (Hell it's already happening)

Sounds great, but I do hope that we have the series' signature mid-air spin attack (I'm still curious about that spin ball animation in the teaser)

I believe it was stated in an interview that they're being careful not to make a Jak game with Sonic characters. Sonic still has his homing attack, and if the developers bothered to keep that, I'm sure he can still do his spin jump, if that's what you were asking. 

and Sonic's spin dash to keep the Sonic feel. I'm sure the game would still be fun without those traditional Sonic moves, seeing the Naughty Dog members' past with platformers, but controversy over the game not feeling like a Sonic game at all is inevitable. (Hell it's already happening)

Yeah, we can't be as sure about that spin dash. Sonic could spin in Unleashed, but only if you hit a dash pad while boosting or something.

I personally find it easier to trust that this game will have at least some of the Sonic staples and feel than some other people here after seeing that interview where all these people talked about how much they loved Sonic growing up and how unique they thought it was. It makes me feel more like they really do just want to make a Sonic game with their own spin (heh) on it, rather than just being content to make a "good game" and move on to making other "good games".

• Thumbs Up 1

I believe it was stated in an interview that they're being careful not to make a Jak game with Sonic characters. Sonic still has his homing attack, and if the developers bothered to keep that, I'm sure he can still do his spin jump, if that's what you were asking. 

Yeah, we can't be as sure about that spin dash. Sonic could spin in Unleashed, but only if you hit a dash pad while boosting or something.

I personally find it easier to trust that this game will have at least some of the Sonic staples and feel than some other people here after seeing that interview where all these people talked about how much they loved Sonic growing up and how unique they thought it was. It makes me feel more like they really do just want to make a Sonic game with their own spin (heh) on it, rather than just being content to make a "good game" and move on to making other "good games".

That was only in UnWiished actually but was added to Generations.