Awoo.

My Little Pony's Justice 2 - Official MLP Thread v2

Sean

Well, with Season 4 being my first new season of this show I just got into, the middle of last year, I'm delighted to report no disappointment and astronomical enjoyment attained from the viewings of Season 4. I certainly have no regrets getting into this show!

The episode was really funny. The only thing was this creature, thing, it, that kinda creeped me out a bit

d70.gif

And something else

c40.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, Discord pretty much stole the show in this one and has second best song of the season right behind Apples to the Core. 

Though a few minor issues involving how nearly 1/3 to almost 1/2 of the episode to set up the scenario and it kinda dragged a bit. The plot did feel like a repeat of Bird in a Hoof where one that is 'sick' trolls two ponies throughout, though Discord made this premise better, and of course, the whole faking sick thing was predictable. Not to mention Twi and Cadence's roles didn't contribute much and were basically the strawmen/mares and could have been replace with anypony honestly even with Celestia and Luna. Also, my opinion on Cadence hasn't changed much after that is said and done which is a resounding 'meh' and one of the show's uninteresting characters. 

The rest of the Mane cast didn't overstayed their welcome, but contributed little. Though honestly the Pinkie nursing Discord sounded like something very interesting to see as their random comedic traits would have provided great moments and chemistry between the two. I'll be surprised if they managed to turn the whole thing into a Misery spoof. I bet Discord and the Equestrian version of Santa Claus would have greater chemistry if the two just hanged out together and pranked ponies in their sleep (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v428C8teGY0) too compared to the princesses. Also, an episode surrounding the Starswirl Con could have been interesting as well as a stand alone episode just for gaining more knowledge of Equestrian history itself. 

But at least, Discord is still devious as ever and seems to have an agenda with breaking up the bonds between princesses even after his so called 'reformation'. Though hoping that he'll go above and beyond that and maybe start a war between nations and make an grandeur and somewhat compassionate speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUB9QGKCNmI) about how 'war is great' to him.

Again, I still liked this episode and prefer it over last week's and of course, without Discord, this episode would have fallen flat. I would place this on par with Pinkie Apple Pie, though maybe second after it because that one had a better song.

I know I'll get called out from saying this, but... Am I the only one here who really doesn't care much for Discord? I mean, I kind of found Discord to be a little more annoying than funny in this episode which was probably the only thing I was concerned about for this episode. :/

I mean, I can't really say I hate the character, don't get me wrong, but really, when you get down to it, he's really a ponified Q with the powers of Aladdin's genie. I don't mind if characters are inspired by other existing ones but sometimes Discord feels like a copy of Q, and it doesn't help that Lauren Faust said that this was intentional. This kinda makes him less interesting to me.  It's a similar reason as to why I don't really care much for the Doctor Whooves fanon.

Well, I for one thoroughly enjoyed that episode.

Pros:

- Discord is back, always a plus in my book. I love how he both retained his "reformed" nature (we see that he's actually been sending letters to Fluttershy which was a nice little touch) and his more chaotic tendencies. John de Lancie is also as marvelous as always in the role.

- Loved that callback to Rarity's faint chair.

-Nice to see Cadance again in a role that isn't either a mentor or a main plot point. I wish they would do this more with characters like Celestia and Luna... especially with Luna.

- I like the way they just casually placed Flash in there. A nice little nod to EQG without being too blatant... though (and this is kind of off topic) I never really disliked the character as much as the rest of the fanbase seems to. The only thing I really hated was that he had little to no actual character traits besides just being a love interest for Twilight. I actually want to see his character expanded upon. Who knows, a little more depth may just change the opinions of some of the more negative viewers of this character.

- The animation during that musical number... my God. This may be one of my favorite sequences in the series thus far. Definitely up there with the Nightmare Moon flashback and the changeling fight.

- The song wasn't half bad either. It's no Winter Wrap up for me but it is definitely one of my favorites from the season thus far.

- Quite a few neat little references in this song as well. I especially liked the Harry Potter reference.

- Alicorns fighting a giant snake monster? Ah, yes please.

- That necklace made me chuckle a bit.

-Discord's explanation for all this was so delightfully devious and legit that I can't help but at least point it out.

Cons... I don't really have any.... just a nitpick really.

- It did take a while to get to the actual meat of the episode. Though, the scene with Discord interacting with the 4 remaining manes was a joy to watch so I guess I can't really complain.

Side Notes:

- Yet another episode where half of the main six seemed to have been put there just for the sake of being there.

- So is Discord still evil or what? I'm not putting this as a con because this is really what I wanted the character to be after he was reformed (good but still pulls some tricks from time to time). It's just that here I can't really understand what his goal was. To ruin Twilight's day with Cadence? Seems rather anti-climatic. It felt as if he was hoping to gain something more from the whole event... but it could just be me overlooking it.

Yep, this is definitely another highlight of the show for me. This season is already better than 3 for me and is steadily rising up the list. Can't wait till next week's episode.

I think it's a Pinkie one... but then again I thought this week's ep was suppose to be that. XD

Oh, and about the whole possibility of there being a second EQG... I actually wouldn't mind it too much. Especially if it doesn't delay/ hinder another season of the actual show. I like how EQG has pretty much stayed in it's own bubble as something that did happen but isn't really called back to. If they do the same with the second one then I can't really see any harm coming from it. We might even get a few worth while concepts and songs (with it possibly being band themed and all) out of it. 

• Thumbs Up 2

This season was a little slow out of the gate for me, but it definitely seems to be getting it's act together with the last few episodes.  Here's hoping that's a sign of things to come.  I really enjoyed "Three's A Crowd" and the Discord song was just awesome.  And how can I not mention this:

533854__safe_solo_applejack_animated_hub

They are just going nuts with the new and awesome facial expressions this season.

• Thumbs Up 2

Wow, this really is depressing...

Quoting from EQD

We here at EqD have received sad news today. Michael Morones, an 11 year old boy in North Carolina, recently attempted to take his own life due to bullying received on account of being a brony. Fortunately, the attempt was caught and halted in time to save his life, but he sustained severe brain damage. The family has reached out and is asking if the community from the show he loves can help out with the medical expenses.

Source: http://www.equestriadaily.com/2014/01/michael-morones-recovery-fund.html

This makes me utterly sick that people bullied this poor boy to the point of almost killing himself. 

Really!? Just really!? I hope the goddamn bullies feel terrible for almost costing this boy his life but I DOUBT they do. 

The family should really make the bullies and their families apologize to him because this is downright ridiculous. 

I'm about to rant I need to stop

I feel bad for him, I know how he feels. Bullies are fucked up, man.

Though I'm kind of mad that a lot of bronies are, frankly, using him as a "hey look, we ARE oppressed!!!!" sort of thing. Ugh. At least some people are genuinely trying to help him, I guess..

• Thumbs Up 3

Okay, I didn't get the show, but I wouldn't bully someone over it. I hope those bullies get a proper punishment.

So, uh... tomorrow's episode was leaked.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1aoxop_my-little-pony-season-4-episode-12-pinkie-pride-mid-hd_shortfilms?search_algo=1

This episode is bloody amazing. Pinkie is finally done justice. Every song was just a joy to listen to. The humour and gags had me giggling quite a bit. And let's not forget about Cheese Sandwich, who was a fantastic character (I wouldn't expect anything less from Weird Al).

Can legitimately say this is my favourite episode of Season 4 so far. It's good to see the old Pinkie back.

Edited by TheCakeMeister
  • Thumbs Up 1

The other ponies were kind of assholes here, I don't blame Pinkie for reacting the way she did.

It definitely look a bit of a departure from reality in that goof off. Dat puppet Boneless and real life Gummy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Pretty cool episode, not much storywise, but it was fun. I think there were more songs here than in MMC, but I might be wrong.

Best birthiversary ever!

Are DHX timelords? how did they many to fit that much horse in just 22 minutes? I was very forgiving of the short comings in Three's a Crowd (which I still love) but Pinkies Pride seemed to do everything it did but better.
Better Pacing           
pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
Better character development           pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
Pinkie written with a brain                        pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
Less pop culture references                           pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
More songs                                       pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
More Derpy/Less Brad                             pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
Rainbow "Keys"                                 pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot
Celebrity Guest Star not hogging screen time   pinkie_holding_a_check_mark_by_felix_kot

This is seriously close to beating Pinkie Apple Pie for best of Season 4 and Party of One for best Pinkie episode ever.

• Thumbs Up 2

Episode was amazing.  Everything about it was perfect.

I was actually surprised to see Pinkie's family party photo.  I know the book authors are given some insight as to what is going to happen in the actual show (emphasis on some, because "Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell" had some glaring inconsistencies when it came to Trixie if I recall correctly), but I was still surprised to see that they actually included Pinkie's third sister (mentioned in "Pinkie Pie and the Rockin' Ponypalooza Party!") in it. 

• Thumbs Up 5

"Pinkie Pride" takes a strong second place for me, right after "Rarity Takes Manehattan" as one of season 4's best. This episode was a joy to watch from start to finish, and much like Pinkie Apple Pie, gave Pinkie some much-needed depth beyond sight gags and comic relief. This is why we like Pinkie; Not just because she's funny, but because she's also a great character, with her own conflicts and insecurities to overcome, as well as a genuine love for her friends. "Pinkie Pride" absolutely exemplifies this, and might just replace "A Friend In Deed" as my favorite Pinkie Pie episode.

Cheese Sandwich himself was a ton of fun, and was used just enough to be an entertaining foil for Pinkie without overstaying his welcome. I enjoyed his backstory as an admirer of Pinkie's own party-planning expertise, and was glad to see him as a well-meaning rival rather than a truly malicious antagonist.

Songs were fantastic, and I really got a kick out of Pinkie's "Smile" getting the Weird Al treatment in particular. The visual gags were as over-the-top as you'd expect from a Pinkie episode, and all in all, the whole 22 minutes was extremely fun and brimming with high energy. I really appreciated all the continuity nods to earlier episodes too. A lot of love went into this episode, and it shows.

You just keep being awesome, season 4.

• Thumbs Up 6

I really loved that episode, so many songs and they were all pretty awesome

:D

So far this is my favourite episode of S4!

• Thumbs Up 2

That was a pretty good episode, my favourite one in season 4 so far. And the songs were awesome. But it was weird how Twilight and the others kind of acted like assholes to Pinkie, her reaction is justified. 

And I don't get that western motif though. I love westerns but it feels a bit underused.

That was incredible! This ranks up there as being one of my favorite episode of the series!

We all knew that Weird Al was going to be in this episode, but we still got so many surprises. Pinkie speaking Spanish, the live action sequences, Derpy making more appearances (great to know they kept their word of her staying), even Diamond Tiara singing! The songs in this episode were all great too!

This has to be some of the deepest characterization of Pinkie we've seen so far. For example, Pinkie is upset but she puts on a mask of enthusiasm for Twilight because she knew it would make Twilight upset if she saw Pinkie upset. They sure weren't holding back!

• Thumbs Up 3

Yes yes yes yes yes. It really says something that this episode actually EXCEEDED my expectations since those were pretty damn high to begin with. My only worry was the possibility that Weird Al would completely steal the spotlight and essentially get the episode to himself, but thankfully the focus on Pinkie was really strong. It feels like forever since we've seen her as being more than just the really crazy, wacky character so this feels like a return to form for her, so to speak.

And holy hell this music.

Side note I like how young Cheese Sandwich had the classic Weird Al afro, thought that was a nice nod XP

• Thumbs Up 6

I'm pretty sure I have my new favourite episode. Season 4 and otherwise.

I guess we're all spoiler-tagging this time because it's a leak. I might talk more tomorrow, but I wanted to say two quick things.

I liked how, during the Goof Off, Cheese began singing a polka, high-speed Smile Smile Smile. Definitely a nod to Weird Al's career. Perfect.

Also Pinkie was great in this episode and while I never stopped liking her character, it's still really, really nice to see this side of her again. Hopefully the writers don't drop the ball again.

• Thumbs Up 4