Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

At this point I would add Sonic to Netflix sooner as well, to make people stay home, and Paramount would still make tons of money out of it, since everyone who missed it at theatres (which are closing now) could watch it there!

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Jack at the Cinema said:

At this point I would add Sonic to Netflix sooner as well, to make people stay home, and Paramount would still make tons of money out of it, since everyone who missed it at theatres (which are closing now) could watch it there!

Doubt it, Frozen 2 is a Disney movie going on a Disney platform giving them all the money. A Paramount movie going on Netflix would be a much smaller revenue stream for the studio.

Rushing an early digital release would be bigger money for them.

7 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

Sonic crossed 300m! Let's go blue blur!

Not only that, but going to pass by Detective Pikachu domestically today given the numbers listed now on box office mojo and will take the crown for highest box office video game movie here.

Check this thread out lol https://www.resetera.com/threads/sonic-the-hedgehog-will-gross-more-domestically-than-detective-pikachu-who-will-make-an-avatar-bet-up-sonic-beats-out-detective-pikachu.166398/page-40

Depending on how long the coronavirus problem lasts, it's entirely possible that Sonic the Hedgehog might be one of the few movie successes for 2020. I havn't seen it myself, don't really know anyone else who would go and see it with me, I try and keep my fandom to myself, but I am glad it is doing well.

20 hours ago, MetalSkulkBane said:

On nerdy (read: irrational, not really harming movie at any way) complains, a lot of lore doesn't seems to fit with games or work well for the future. How Sonic/Tails dynamic will work if Tom exists? If Sonic's power is infinite (according to Eggman's readings), doesn't that make Chaos Emeralds useless? And how Tails will ever keep up if Sonic's speed is so magical?

Also my headcannon is ruined: I always like to think Sonic used to be fast, but but not magic-fast, that any brave Mobian in good condition can spin attack into badnik. And due to events of Sonic 1-2, exposure to Rings, Emeralds and Special Zone his power grew, till he could  I liked it, cause that meant Sonic became the hero by being a hero and not because he was born special. But you know, that's THE most nerdy-irrational complain.

Well the way it ends definitely sets up a Sonic3&K scenario and Sonic can have 2 best friends. He obviously needs one from his planet because he’s going to return sometime.

I don’t mind Sonic being so fast but I had a similar thought. It (especially the book) implies his powers come from emeralds but they don’t specify if it’s his speed, electricity or both. I don’t mind the electricity coming emeralds but if that’s the source of his speed it kind of lessens his ability if it was not natural. Are they saying he’s only fast because he came in contact with an emerald?

I doubt this is the case though because it’s never been done that way. I think their explanation might be that the emerald just enhanced his speed...if it even has anything to do with that. Could just be the electricity.

22 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Well the way it ends definitely sets up a Sonic3&K scenario and Sonic can have 2 best friends. He obviously needs one from his planet because he’s going to return sometime.

I don’t mind Sonic being so fast but I had a similar thought. It (especially the book) implies his powers come from emeralds but they don’t specify if it’s his speed, electricity or both. I don’t mind the electricity coming emeralds but if that’s the source of his speed it kind of lessens his ability if it was not natural. Are they saying he’s only fast because he came in contact with an emerald?

I doubt this is the case though because it’s never been done that way. I think their explanation might be that the emerald just enhanced his speed...if it even has anything to do with that. Could just be the electricity.

I don't think it never being done this way neccesarily precludes it from being done. The movie and game universes are separate continuity..

Sonic's speed and the electricity are the same thing, its literally the energy from his speed. Sonic is intrinsically linked to the emeralds and he's the chosen one. He's the only one who can harness the power of the Emeralds and this is why the Echidnas are after him

Ya it’s true the movie could be first version to do this. Each continuity has its specific differences but I hope this is not the way they’re going with his speed. If it’s just enhanced by emeralds I’m good with that. I think that’s a really good explanation for the “quicksilver” moments.

I think Sonic should naturally be fast though, to certain point since each character has always had their own natural ability to begin with...Sonic - Speed, Tails - Flight, Knuckles - Strength and so on within the types.

I don’t think Sonic is the only one that can harness the emeralds powers (unless it’s a movie thing). They already exist regardless of Sonic and other characters have used them. Maybe just not properly or responsibly.

51 minutes ago, Wildcat said:

Ya it’s true the movie could be first version to do this. Each continuity has its specific differences but I hope this is not the way they’re going with his speed. If it’s just enhanced by emeralds I’m good with that. I think that’s a really good explanation for the “quicksilver” moments.

I think Sonic should naturally be fast though, to certain point since each character has always had their own natural ability to begin with...Sonic - Speed, Tails - Flight, Knuckles - Strength and so on within the types.

I don’t think Sonic is the only one that can harness the emeralds powers (unless it’s a movie thing). They already exist regardless of Sonic and other characters have used them. Maybe just not properly or responsibly.

Maybe the Chaos Emeralds gave everyone their powers at birth, because of mutation or something.

Someone on another board suggested that idea too. Personally I do not like it. I prefer they have their own natural abilities. It’s part of their individuality imo. That they’re unique in someway, like everybody is, regardless of outside sources.

If they do that or something similar I can’t help it. I don’t think it’ll ruin the movies. I just think having the emeralds basically be their origins takes away from the characters.

I could always be wrong I guess. Maybe they’d come up with a good way of doing it. If that’s their plan.

The speed would be natural, though. Because it's a byproduct of Sonic's connection to the Emeralds. He was *born with this connection so it is natural. Sonic's power is clearly unique from everybody else's as everybody is after him. He should be the only one who can utilize all seven together 

I imagine It'll be like the Infinity Gauntlet except Sonic himself is the Gauntlet and his connection to the Emeralds is why they want him. It's also the reason why he's the only one who can become Super Sonic 

Welp. The deed is done. Had this film been released even a week later, it probably would have fallen short, but in the end, it remains a bright spot in a pretty dismal box office. 

• Promotion 2

Damn, pretty impressive that it has surpassed Detective Pikachu in the domestic box office but worldwide isn’t looking likely what with the Coronavirus and all. Still, a great success considering the low budget and poor merchandising (seriously I haven’t seen any Sonic movie books around, where are they??).

I’m surprised Paramount hasn’t made an announcement for a sequel, but it could be because of the virus. 

I just saw the Sonic the Hedgehog movie and I really ENJOYED IT!  I loved the way that they portrayed Sonic in this movie as they made Sonic much more emotional and I loved seeing how his lightning powers activate whenever he's upset.  I also liked that despite the fact that they have a human character with Sonic, Tom surprisingly doesn't take the spotlight from Sonic and he was a pretty good supportive character for Sonic.  I was also surprised by Jim Carrey's performance as Dr. Robotnik as he made Dr. Robotnik into a comical character who is still threatening, just like in the games.

My biggest issue with the movie though is the plot.  We've already seen the "CGI character interacts with a human character" a million times before and it was no different in this movie (except that Sonic is actually the main character, while Tom is a secondary character, which is a nice change of pace).  Also, there were a couple of characters that didn't get a lot of development, the biggest one being Longclaw the Owl herself, who was a surprisingly interesting character who was only on screen for a few minutes.

Overall, while the movie could have been a bit better in the plotting, it was still a fun and enjoyable film to watch and I can't wait for the sequel to arrive!

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh shit, the lizard warrior was actually gonna be something? Well, I guess that movie description wasn't a mistake, it was just outdated. How much you wanna bet the change from lizards to echidnas was yet another of Tyson's suggestions? This man is a god.

• Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, Jango said:

Oh shit, the lizard warrior was actually gonna be something? Well, I guess that movie description wasn't a mistake, it was just outdated. How much you wanna bet the change from lizards to echidnas was yet another of Tyson's suggestions? This man is a god.

What's pathetic is that the lizard warrior looks cooler than the old Sonic design. But yeah was a good change for sure because while the lizard warrior looks cool it's a really generic look as it's been done a lot. For instance from recent memory the anime Overlord has a lizard tribe and there is more like I want to say TMNT too but yeah goes to show lizards aren't anything special. Echidnas on the other hand are definitely Sonic only and haven't been anthropomorphic anywhere else so it's just way more unique so definitely a change for the better.

Longclaw rocking dual Katana's?! 

Owl Mom = Certified BadAss lol

33 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Longclaw rocking dual Katana's?! 

Owl Mom = Certified BadAss lol

The movie novelisation says she comes from a race of warrior owls from another planet from sonic’s

Honestly, I'm glad that they replaced the lizards with the echidnas as the ones who were chasing Sonic down because this could lead to some interesting plot points regarding Knuckles if he shows up in the sequel. Like maybe he and Sonic would start fighting each other and Sonic recognizes Knuckles as being apart of the echidna group who hunted him down when he was a child and it might cause Sonic to ask Knuckles where Longclaw is or something like that.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Honestly, I'm glad that they replaced the lizards with the echidnas as the ones who were chasing Sonic down because this could lead to some interesting plot points regarding Knuckles if he shows up in the sequel. Like maybe he and Sonic would start fighting each other and Sonic recognizes Knuckles as being apart of the echidna group who hunted him down when he was a child and it might cause Sonic to ask Knuckles where Longclaw is or something like that.

He might recognise him as an echidna but how could he possibly recognise him as one of the clan that attacked considering he was about 3 or 4 at the time and they all had masks

17 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

He might recognise him as an echidna but how could he possibly recognise him as one of the clan that attacked considering he was about 3 or 4 at the time and they all had masks

I'm guessing that Knuckles will probably wear a similar mask that the other echidnas had worn when Sonic was young, although if they are planning on doing that in the movie is unknown.

Those pieces of concept art really shows how misguided the direction of the film was before changing things, as it leaned heavily into the realistic bent. None of those pieces of concept art felt like anything you'd find in the Sonic franchise, even if they look cool. I'm glad things changed around and the lizards were replaced with the Echidna tribe, but sheesh, the fact that those designs were ever a thing is extremely telling for the development of the film.

At the very least, I hope the film's change to closely reflect the designs from the original (and still very successful) property serve as a wakeup call to Paramount executives, and Hollywood film executives everywhere. If it ain't broke and so on.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1