Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

2 minutes ago, Myst said:

I hadn't considered commercials. They might make changes there. I don't think the shoes will change though. They look fine, IMO.

We're not going to get a complete redesign anyway. I really doubt they are going to start off from scratch. We don't know the extent of these 'changes' Jeff promised. They might just change the eyes and leave everything else untouched. They might just give him.apair of gloves. They might just make his arms the correct color. The changes will be minimal, imo.

I mean, there are Nike shoes that resemble the classic Michael Jackson/Buckle shoes that Sonic usually has and they considered an agreement with Nike early on

2_of_3_my_future_shoes_by_hafu_inuyasha-d4kesuk.thumb.jpg.a81ee14842cebbaf3a961fc97203d1eb.jpgThey could have went with custom Nike shoes like those. Even Puma

ay6kxipa5gy01.thumb.jpg.c7f475a133be6b00fcefda6b08249947.jpg

Changing the color of the arms will be pretty easy considering they don't have to alter the rig. But they should add gloves. If they don't want the cartoon gloves, they could just give him custom Puma pro gloves i.e

041236_02.thumb.jpg.d11fa6ced685a7deb7ce7571b690da6d.jpg

And Sonic drifts so it makes sense that he'd want to protect his hands. 

• Thumbs Up 3

5 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Realistically speaking...Sonic would look exactly how he does in the games

Haha no he wouldn't. If he was a real anthro he wouldn't look like a noodle limb stylistic cartoon character. Which is exactly why they shouldn't had tried making him real nor made this a live action movie because it changes far to much and ruins the series iconic imagery.

1 minute ago, Lord-Dreamerz said:

Haha no he wouldn't. If he was a real anthro he wouldn't look like a noodle limb stylistic cartoon character. Which is exactly why they shouldn't had tried making him real nor made this a live action movie because it changes far to much.

I'm not treating him as some real life Earth animal, just like the movie...he's an alien or whatever.

Otherwise he doesn't exist.

41 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Realistically speaking...Sonic would look exactly how he does in the games and that in itself would be weird and gross.

Maybe some people wouldn't care and think he looks cool or cute.

I think his movie-self is actually a logical realistic transition.

Hear me out: Eggman, a human, has noodle limbs. So Sonic's design is a result of the art-style, not his biology. So, in-universe, Sonic is a short, blue man with a vaguely hedgehog head. His movie design is the closest approximation to what the people of Sonic's World and Human World see everyday.

..of course, actually making such a thing was a terrible idea, but still. Imagine if Detective Pikachu looked more like an actual rat than a fluffy Pikachu.

• Thumbs Up 7
  • Fist Bump 1

11 minutes ago, Razule said:

Imagine if Detective Pikachu looked more like an actual rat than a fluffy Pikachu. 

Rattata already exists for that.

• Chuckle 1

40 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

Rattata already exists for that.

Turning Rattata into an actual rat that vaguely resembles Rattata would also be a bad idea.

• Thumbs Up 4

So, design arguments aside, I have a question about this movie that I haven't really seen get brought up.

Now then, this film is supposedly an origin story detailing how Sonic and Eggman met as well as the antagonism between them (of course just capturing animals and sticking them in machines as hostages or batteries really kind of covers Sonic's end). But there is one major problem that is just really bugging me about everything presented so far; I don't see Eggman's world domination obsession. All I've been presented with even with the stinger is his obsession with Sonic and the strange energy Sonic has. In fact, being someone that the military is only unhappy working with due his ego does the complete opposite of sell me the idea that he wants to rule the world and is so narcissistic that every thing he builds he has to slap his face on somewhere. Honestly, for as boring as the movie Eggman starts his introduction in the trailer would have been so much better even without his name if as the truck pulled into the scene and the cinematography panned to the opening side panel a logo with his face had been lingered on for just a moment. It would have done so much.

On other matters, I was thinking about the whole alien hedgehog, deep human relationship, and military involvement similarities with Shadow 05 and 06 with Blur Studio and Tim Miller and Jeff Fowler working on it and realize that I blame those games for this mess even more so then I thought. As has been pointed out by numerous users already you had realistic humans next to Sonic in those games and it was jarring in most cases, but what if Tim Miller and Jeff Fowler felt the same way? That got me thinking was this realistic take on Sonic born from a desire then to make Sonic look like he belonged next to humans instead of having the existing contrast played straight? He was rather emphatic in his IGN interview about how it was always going to be what it was from the get go and not a Pixar-esque character which reads to me looking at it now as a deep seated desire to do Sonic next to people "right". Of course regardless on any truth in my hypotheticals and wonderings, this design has proven at the very least even more so than Shadow 05 and 06 that it wasn't Sonic that needed to change, but everything else so that way it belongs next to Sonic. He has his identity and style, so everything else just needs to be made to match it. Changing him to match everything else is the wrong direction in my opinion.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Sonic Fan J said:

But there is one major problem that is just really bugging me about everything presented so far; I don't see Eggman's world domination obsession.

Unless the various leaks have shed some light onto this, we still don't know exactly what Sonic is attempting to save the world from. If the trailer is anything to go by, he is the biggest threat to the planet so far, with all that unchecked energy from running about.

In the car scene, he is convinced he is saving the world from something, but there isn't much of a clue as to what that is just yet. Eggy seems more concerned with dissecting Sonic that world conquering - but perhaps those two are connected too. Maybe he wants to use the energy to make "Chaos Drives" for some next generation robos or something.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, it's kind of a case of weird marketing again. The trailer really didn't do a good job of setting up the premise of the movie and was really just a mishmash of scenes that didn't really establish any hints of goals of Sonic, Tom, or Eggman. It's like I've been saying for a while that this movie really seems to not know what it wants to be, that or the marketing team really has no idea how to sell what they have. It's really such a head scratching mess to me.

14 minutes ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Unless the various leaks have shed some light onto this, we still don't know exactly what Sonic is attempting to save the world from. If the trailer is anything to go by, he is the biggest threat to the planet so far, with all that unchecked energy from running about.

It was implied in the leaks:

Spoiler

There is a threat that causes Sonic to escape from his world to Earth when he was a kid.

My guess is the threat that Sonic ran away from follows him to Earth at some point. 

ATTENTION EVERYONE! ANOTHER FULL CGI MYSTERY CHARACTER CONFIRMED!

But why not just went ahead an showed that character in the trailer, so this character's redesign would possibly line up with Sonic's?

• Fist Bump 1

5 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

It was implied in the leaks:

Hide contents

There is a threat that causes Sonic to escape from his world to Earth when he was a kid.

My guess is the threat that Sonic ran away from follows him to Earth at some point. 

Spoiler

Meaning that Eggman is going to be upstaged in the final act just like in the games if true. Well at least they got that accurate I guess.

2 minutes ago, Blueknight V2.0 said:

ATTENTION EVERYONE! ANOTHER FULL CGI MYSTERY CHARACTER CONFIRMED!

But why not just went ahead an showed that character in the trailer, so this character's redesign would possibly line up with Sonic's?

Well, it probably would have helped tie Sonic into the setting by having another CG character for him to match up with him, but again it just leaves me baffled by the film's marketing approach.

Oh no, it's

Spoiler

Sophocles the Owl, isn't it

• Chuckle 1

It looks like Carreynik appears in Mushroom Hill Zone in the trailer. Maybe Knuckles will be appearing in another stinger for a live-action Sonic movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

This would imply that Knuckles is voiced by Riff Raff...

...I need to lie down.

It is rather upsetting to me personally that they find a role for a rapper that the target audience sure doesn't know, let alone or care about, but couldn't even contact Yuji Naka, one of three men who are pretty much the only reason this franchise ever got off the ground, for a small cameo.

17 minutes ago, Indigo Rush said:

...I need to lie down.

And its probably all for a reference of Knuckles SA1 theme with "not chuckle" line involved.

28 minutes ago, AdventChild said:

And its probably all for a reference of Knuckles SA1 theme with "not chuckle" line involved.

Wasn't even thinking of that but, yeah, he's definitely Knuckles then

Maybe Knuckles will have conjointed fingers and white hands to create the boxing glove effect.

Gotta really drive home that alien effect.

Conjoined fingers? Who would think that'd be more realistic than regular boxing gloves?

What about his spikes?

1 hour ago, Indigo Rush said:

...I need to lie down.

Yeah, probably Knuckles, though Vector also sounds like a possibility. Or maybe a new character given the merchandise not having anyone but Sonic and Robotnik.

Calling it Now: Shadow is sent from Sonic's planet to hunt down Sonic and destroy the world in the process.

I know it's out of character, but with all the liberties taken so far, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

Would they dare feature another design that's meant to be a surprise after how poorly received Sonic was? Like, if Knux is meant to be a cameo at the end of the movie in the hopes he'd hype people up for a sequel, and he looks awful... they have to be aware of that possibility, if not before certainly now.

From the trailer it's pretty clear that Eggman is going to clone Sonic by analyzing those blue fur/quills he leaves around. It's gonna be Shadow or Metal Sonic, but since he seems to be "cloning" him it's most likely Shadow.

But seriously, I'm fine with the design being changed, I disliked it as well, but now I'm concerned about how the real final design will look like... there won't be another chance.

2 hours ago, Sonic Fan J said:

Yeah, it's kind of a case of weird marketing again. The trailer really didn't do a good job of setting up the premise of the movie and was really just a mishmash of scenes that didn't really establish any hints of goals of Sonic, Tom, or Eggman. It's like I've been saying for a while that this movie really seems to not know what it wants to be, that or the marketing team really has no idea how to sell what they have. It's really such a head scratching mess to me.

Not really the trailer is easy to put together. Sonic is now in our world. Trying to either get away from or stop whatever is now in our world. He can not control his speed and has been living on his own for some time. The worn shoe pile shows he is struggling to find anything to keep up with the wear of his speed on them. The cop is most likely in a new town and it is a rather boring job till sonic comes by. Sonics speed and energy are affecting the energy grid in the country from him speeding around *now this part is a bit confusing for now. One more trailer would help. Either sonics current speed is affecting the grid, or when he gets a new pair of shoes he starts to affect it but most likely the first thing* this leads to eggman being called in by the government to track down whatever is doing this. Eggman sends out the drones and they eventually find sonic *you see one at the end in a house* most likely finding sonic in the cops house and trying to attack him *you see bullet holes all around the house* eggman then finds one of his quills before leaving and sees the incredible energy just one contains. Sonic and the cop eventually find that girl. no idea who she is. cops gf? or just a friend? She learns of sonic also.

Granted I can not guess at everything so the mid point is fuzzy. Mostly them sneaking sonic into the building.

Cop goes awol with sonic and eggman tries to attack them. I see the climax coming with the sky scrapper attack with sonic most likely having more control on his speed. He will race eggman across the world through warp rings as he tries to capture sonic, the film will either end with eggman in sonics world continuing his mission to gain his power and conquer his world or him being stopped in the human world. Though I had another theory that eggman came from sonics world from the start years ago and just forgot him till he was called in by the government and is putting on an act as he wants him for himself and not going to hand him over.

that is what i pulled from the trailer. Again just my thoughts with lots missing of course till more trailers come out.