Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

I'm kind of concerned about this choice, like, is he a good actor?

I'm not familiar with him, I know he's played roles in The Mask, Batman Forever, Grinch, etc. but does he still have the charm? I've heard bad comments about him, as a person and as an actor, honestly, from Deadline. I'm not sure if he's a good fit, probably yeah, I don't really know... 

But I knew Eggman would be live action so I'm not surprised, he is a big name actor though, so that gets me excited, waiting for the confirmation.

Edit: Okay, from this pic posted by Segabits, I could already see him more into the role, uhm...

L'immagine può contenere: 1 persona

Every single piece of info on this movie that comes out sounds like a parody. You really can't make this shit up. I like Jim Carrey, but this is beyond surreal.

It's worth mentioning, though, that it all probably seems weirder to Sonic fans than it would the average moviegoer who's just looking for a night of family-friendly fun at the cinema. 

1 hour ago, Marcello said:

tenor.gif?itemid=9201481

So, the biggest disappointment with this is that it means Mike Pollock won't be hitting the big screen as Dr Eggman. But all things considered, Jim Carrey could fit the bill pretty well as long as they have him acting bombastic and and a bit unhinged. His performance in A Series of Unfortunate Events as Count Olaf is close to how I predict he'll portray Eggman, so I think it'll be fine. They'll probably just shave him bald, put him in a fatsuit and give him a prosthetic mustache so he looks the part. 

The question is how they'll exposit his origins. Is Sonic trapped in the real world due to Chaos Control shenanigans and Eggman got warped with him and he just looks human in this world? Or are both of them already a part of this setting and Eggman working with the government to catch Sonic? I don't expect them to respect any of the lore beyond "Sonic fast and Eggman bad", so there's no telling what we'll end up with.

Honestly, Jim Carrey could save this for me. I can't believe I'm writing this. Then again, I can't believe the Sonic movie is live action.

I can't believe there's a Sonic movie at all, really. 

I think casting Jim Carrey is a good choice. We've seen in many of his previous films (Dumb and Dumber, The Mask, Ace Ventura etc) that he has the kind of manic energy which suits Eggman, and (in theory) should compliment Mike Pollock's portrayal in the games. Also, on the plus side casting Carrey is bound to generate a lot more interest in the movie. So lets hope it doesn't turn out complete shit.

I am so thrown by replies about a lack of familiarity with Jim Carrey, lol. /90skid

But yeah. This is a surprise. He's a great actor, so if the direction gives him everything he needs, he'll at the very least be entertaining. There are bound to be practical effects involved, but I wonder if he'll be heavily CGI'ed too? It wouldn't be the first time. Even outside of that, he's had a slew of experience with portraying cartoonish men.

image.png.98a4720d8efb151393380c879bc015e7.png

image.png.f0243b966ed4d99cba71f834a1872661.png

image.png.394cac62b4e74d707157ab9d45b38fbd.png

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, Solly said:

Every single piece of info on this movie that comes out sounds like a parody. You really can't make this shit up. I like Jim Carrey, but this is beyond surreal.

It's worth mentioning, though, that it all probably seems weirder to Sonic fans than it would the average moviegoer who's just looking for a night of family-friendly fun at the cinema. 

tenor.gif?itemid=9201481

You're right. This news is being received by positively by everyone except angry fans. This is just proving my point about the disconnect between the fanbase and the wider audience. Everybody knows Jim Carrey, he's an A-list actor

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm sorry if I'm not familiar with him. He could be a good choice and he is definitely a big name that could bring viewers. I'm just concerned, I don't wanna be one of those angry fans.

6 minutes ago, Drifting Jack said:

I'm sorry if I'm not familiar with him. He could be a good choice and he is definitely a big name that could bring viewers. I'm just concerned, I don't wanna be one of those angry fans.

Not you, dude. I mean the fans who are raging because it's not Mike Pollock ala Segabits, Sonic Reddit and other reactions on Sonic fan sites. Compare their anger to the praise this casting choice is getting on Screen Rant, Movie Reddit and other forums. I dont mean all fans but certain ones and the contrast of reactions

3 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

How do you know they're being wasted? We barely know anything about the movie.  I dont get the hate so many have for something they know virtually nothing about. 

And this movie can still be good while taking liberties. Spider-Man: Homecoming took MANY liberties with the characters but it was still a great movie 

Because, logically speaking, most films of this type turn out rubbish.  Smurfs, Alvin, Grinch, the list goes on and that's before the part where being a video game movie almost automatically means running a huge risk in quality.  I'm not saying Jim can't play Eggman, or that this film should be played painfully safe, just that I see plenty of red flags that this is going very possibly suck.

And to be honest, using Homecoming as an example isn't the best one to use on me, since I haven't seen it and what I have seen of it doesn't really interest me.  Spidey films peaked with Raimi's second entry and it's been lacklustre since.

What pisses me off is that "fans" will only use these comparisons to make it look sure that this movie will suck, not because of the news it has received, not because of what it is but because of what other movie are... and frankly it's not a convincing argument.

Don't compare it to anything, please, this movie may be its own thing.

• Fist Bump 1

Casting Jim Carrey makes a lot of sense as far as nostalgia is concerned, too. He was at the height of his popularity soon after the Sonic franchise was at its, so parents who grew up in the 90s will have even more reason to go see it.

The more angry part of the dedicated fanbase needs to realise that this whole thing isn't for them.

While I still wonder why they didn't go the Indiana Jones way since that type of movie I think would have better fit source material then what they are doing (mystical artifacts, power hungry madmen, globetrotting adventure, a balance of comedic moments with more weighty ones, dynamic relationships, etc...), the Jim Carrey news is probably the first news about this movie which has not left me apprehensive. From a purely physical comedy standpoint I find Jim Carrey the perfect fit, especially if considering Eggman's classic design and the OVA to an extent. Just make him wear a ball around his torso to get that Classic Eggman shape and add the impressive 'stache plus the pince-nez glasses and I can actually see it working. You keep the classic character design without compromising the realistic look that way and you get Jim Carrey's physical comedy skills all in one round package (XD).

Funny how despite being one of the most cynical people here about the movie I feel like I'm one of the most positive and optimistic about the potential Jim Carrey casting.

Jim Carrey is a very expressive, over-the-top actor. I think he can make it work like he did with the Grinch. Although, I'm not sure he still has that charm. 

Now, I'm curious on who's voicing sonic. I wouldn't be surprise if they gave the role to a celebrity. It is Hollywood after all.

Sonic is not for Jim Carrey.   I don't think he has what it takes to portray a character like Eggman...Eggman has a deeper, gruff voice and Carrey's is more on the squeaky side.  I like some of his movies, but with the way he's been acting lately(in real life, not in his movies) and the fact that he really hasn't done anything major in quite awhile just makes me think that he won't have his heart in this.

I'm pretty surprised they picked Jim Carrey to play Eggman. Maybe the more die-hard fans will be angry that they didn't pick Mike Pollock, but as much as I enjoy his work in giving voice to the doc, he is a voice actor and the movie role demands for other skills to visually communicate with the audience such as facial and body expressions, things that Jim Carrey can pull off.

Isn't it funny how in those cheesy/bad live action adaptations of cartoons/games, the role of the bad guy is the main redeeming quality and what probably will end up being the most enjoyable part to watch.

I'm pretty surprised they picked Jim Carrey to play Eggman. Maybe the more die-hard fans will be angry that they didn't pick Mike Pollock, but as much as I enjoy his work in giving voice to the doc, he is a voice actor and the movie role demands for other skills to visually communicate with the audience such as facial and body expressions, things that Jim Carrey can pull off.

Isn't it funny how in those cheesy/bad live action adaptations of cartoons/games, the role of the bad guy is the main redeeming quality and what probably will end up being the most enjoyable part to watch.

What's funny is that he and James both appear in Anchorman 2. However, he was uncredited in the credits, but you can tell that's him.:

maxresdefault.jpg

Paul who was considered for the role of the cop also appear in the movie too. He also appear in the first one.

4 hours ago, Drifting Jack said:

What pisses me off is that "fans" will only use these comparisons to make it look sure that this movie will suck, not because of the news it has received, not because of what it is but because of what other movie are... and frankly it's not a convincing argument.

Don't compare it to anything, please, this movie may be its own thing.

When you're trying to make an adaption, of course there's going to be comparisons to other properties - adaptions aren't a new thing and they've been done right before, and wrong before. Comparison is a key point of discussion - since it can allow us to gauge things either positively or negatively based on previous experience. Any movie can arguably be it's own thing, but that still doesn't mean it can't be compared to other things trying similar things, and considering that comparisons have been just as used by defenders as detractors. Trying to pretend it's only detractor who have some kind of hatred for this movie for no reason is absolutely silly and as you put it - it's not a convincing argument to chalk it all up to "it is it's own thing".

Super Mario Bros is arguably more of it's own thing. The movie is vastly different from the games, the characters are insanely different from their original counterparts - Luigi especially who's lost any pre-established personality at the time period, Bowser himself is as in name only as you get. You can give the characters their names and pretend that's them, but it doesn't make it any better of an adaption or even a movie as a whole. Even today, it's watched as something that's just so insane and terrible that it circles back around to being good again. 

You can say as much as you want that "oh stop hating on the movie, you haven't seen a trailer yet, you haven't given it a chance, you haven't given it this, that or the other" and yet that can be directly flipped back on defenders to say that defenders are blindly defending something that legitimately has things that raises concerns due to previous experiences, and it isn't just Sonic fans but general critics and film-goers that will notice these cliches and have that impact their viewing on the movie. The likes of previous adaptions of movies, shows, and books are well-established, especially in the era of the internet that has numerous videos and articles from well-known and high end uploaders that go into the top 10 worse of a given genre, why they failed, they're bad etc. They're more informed now, and those comparisons are more than enough to breath an air of caution around the movie.

If you're fine with being optimistic, then whatever - go ahead and hope for the best, that's perfectly fine. I've been there plenty of times before -  Rise of Lyric, Forces, Lost World. But if you're going to play the card of "don't hate on it, we don't know anything about it", then we might as well just not have a discussion topic on the movie as a whole til the trailer releases, because otherwise the same argument of "don't do this for this reason" falls to both sides. Defenders can be criticized for plainly ignoring things that very clearly did not work out in the past for movies in a similar manner while detractors can be criticized for hating on every single thing present with the movie (Personally, I'm not against Jim in the movie, just more iffy and cautious about it as it can go either way).

This is why I hate this whole line of "don't hate on it, give it a chance", you're essentially trying to shut off a line of discussion because it's something you personally disagree with because you want to be optimistic about it, and considering these scraps of news is literally the only kind of discussion beyond plain speculation in years then there's no much point of discussion once again if it's going to turn into a game of "Wait and See". Either way, both detractors and defenders have fair reasons for discussing the movie and why they like/dislike whatever about it. It's pretty silly to try strawman all concerns into a wait and see game when both sides only have comparison to lead to any credible discussion beyond speculation. The same way defenders can point to Deadpool, Fast and the Furious and whatever else to provide their arguments for giving it a chance, it's only fair that detractors can do the same thing to give reason and explanation as to why they're worried and iffy about the film going forward. It's not particularly fair to use the "wait and see" argument to shut down either side of the debate here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways - seeing as Jim Carrey is now confirmed for Eggman, I'm still cautious about it. It can fit, but it depends how they decide to integrate him into the movie. I don't want a situation with TMNT where Eggman is some random army/government worker who has a completely different personality and motive for doing what he does and just so happens to get entangled with the main character.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Drifting Jack said:

Wait...You've never heard of Jim Carrey? In Living Color? Ace Ventura? The Mask? The Cable Guy? Dumb and Dumber? ...The Grinch? Nothing? I...I'm just kinda surprised there are people who have never seen a Jim Carrey movie. It's legitimately mind blowing.

• Thumbs Up 2

No disrespect to Mike Pollock, but you can't be mad that when it comes to the major motion picture for the character they're going with an A list, household name whose one of the greatest comedic performers of all-time for the role. 

18 hours ago, PeterPancake said:

I just wanna know now whether Eggman is going to be reinvented as some sort of Earth scientist who becomes obsessed with Sonic 

THAT would be interesting. What if Sonic becomes his ideal way of ruling the world? He wants Sonic to join him maybe?

12 minutes ago, Spooks said:

THAT would be interesting. What if Sonic becomes his ideal way of ruling the world? He wants Sonic to join him maybe?

Ideal way? You mean he could like, want to use Sonic to help him rule the world? That would be interesting.  I was thinking more he wants to dissect/kill Sonic. Maybe he's putting on a facade and Sonic knows the truth about his plans to rule the world and Robotnik doesn't want it getting out. I'm kinda spitballing ideas here.

It would be really cool if Carrey portrayed Eggman in a similar way to Count Olaf from Unfortunate Events 

• Thumbs Up 1

43 minutes ago, Sonicfan7 said:

No disrespect to Mike Pollock, but you can't be mad that when it comes to the major motion picture for the character they're going with an A list, household name whose one of the greatest comedic performers of all-time for the role. 

To be honest I'm shocked so many people actually thought Mike would play him.

Like I don't know of all the cast I was kinda expecting the human character to not be played by his voice actor. 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think the one thing that surprises me about the Carrey casting is that I was kind of more thinking this was going to be in Jack Black's wheelhouse and that he was an easy pick for this role. 

So Carrey was somehow both a very reasonable yet out of the blue choice.