Awoo.

Sonic Live Action Movie Thread (Read OP for topic rules) "Trailer 2 on Page 482)

Badnik Mechanic

Oh my god what even is this film? Im gonna need to see it just to behold this wreck personally haha. This is gonna be the best cast 

• Chuckle 1

Oh his supervillain name will absolutely be barely in there. We know how Hollywood is.

"It's like you're some kind of Eggman."

• Chuckle 1

9 minutes ago, Operationgamer17 said:

Apparently, to my understanding, he’s only in NEGOTIATIONS for the role and doesn’t actually have it (yet). Wonder how they’re going to pull the live-action role off. Use makeup for the actor, or use motion capture? 

*Final negotiations. I.e he's pretty close to signing on to the movie.

Ok so this is my take in some bizarre meta commentary for Carrey being Robotnik. I am torn between knowing this will be a bizarre fever dream of a movie before it's released due on the details we have already. The other half of me is totally psyched for Carrey AS Robotnik because of how he played Riddler in Forever (and that total Batcave scene may be screaming Waluigi moment, but the overall sheer hamminess and flamboyancy of him in the rest of the movie is also pure Dr. Eggman.) My brain however just cannot move past that THE RIDDLER will be DR. EGGMAN. Riddler and Penguin were totally the two characters that leaded me into loving Robotnik as a character and there is this...strange phantasmagorical series to these events wherein how everything came ritualistically full circle like a cosmic joke I was onto since childhood. 

Another detail to add onto this is HOW will they pull this off? Carrey has the physical profile fitting more of Waluigi than a Robotnik (which is why he got picked for Riddler - elongated chin, flexibility and wiriness mostly) and while we know a fat suit will be used, I am just wondering how they will use prosthetics to offset his long chin for this to make his face appear more squat?

Aside from that in a sense, I hate that it will be live action but I am just stoked BEYOND curiosity.

Now if they got Danny DeVito and Jim Carrey to play Wario and Waluigi in another live action Mario movie, my meta commentary will collapse on itself and I could die an amused person.

• Thumbs Up 1

Can Christopher Walken be Tails?

I mean, so long as we're not giving a shit, why not? I'd love that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Promotion 1
  • Chuckle 3

Outside of build....I could honestly see Jim Carrey potentially doing the role well. He has all the energy and ham needed for the role....and then some to go.

3 hours ago, Tracker_TD said:

Well.

Well, bandaid had to be ripped at some point. He gonna weight or at least have a fat suit?

2 hours ago, Diogenes said:

I mean, that question is why, dude. Carrey absolutely does not have Eggman's body type. Probably no actual person does, but Carrey's really not even close. I could buy him voicing Eggman, I could buy him being a mocap actor for a CG Eggman, but I'm really having trouble imagining how they could make him look like Eggman.

Just use this as a base

Spoiler

Image result for 06 eggman

• Thumbs Up 1

Well I never thought I'd hear this about the Sonic Movie, I may have to make a video update to describe how I feel about this.

Now I haven' seen very many of carrey's films outside of Horton Hears A Who or Mr. Popper's Penguins. Both of which I really enjoyed, but he doesn't really match Eggman as far as design goes. Unless they do a CG motion-capture appearance like how davy jones in Pirates of the Caribbean was done.

I don't know, but like I've been saying we'll most certainly find out a lot more at SDCC 2018, Maybe.

Wow, uhhh, didn't see that one coming.

But as far as the fit goes, I think JC is a fantastic choice. He can be so eccentric and pronounced. He's at his best when he is hamming it up.

As far as how his body shape with play into things, I think that while Eggman's defining characteristic is his girth, the Doc is also exceedingly lanky with long arms and legs - which Jim has. A good costume job in the middle could make him an ideal live action Eggy.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Nice Smile 1
  • Fist Bump 1

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to say. But, um... You do that, Sonic movie production team. You do your thing, and I'll watch from here on the sidelines.

I really need to see what this movie is gonna be now...

Jim Carrey has evolved so much as an actor, especially for his serious roles.  Whats weird is how they got a 90s actor to be a part of a 90s franchise.  Im getting Batman Forever vibes but in a good way.  
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Fist Bump 2

I just wanna know now whether Eggman is going to be reinvented as some sort of Earth scientist who becomes obsessed with Sonic 

• Thumbs Up 1

Jim Carrey made a great Grinch and I can’t wait for this role of his.

Is this going to end up being some kind of weird twist where it turns out the whole movie is about Carrey's Robotnik and Tom the Cop being people who believe they are who they are role-wise, but in reality are stuck in a fictional town in a Truman Show esque reality with a talking hedgehog?

Also I still can't picture Jim Carrey as Robotnik. Does not compute.

I wonder how much of an impact this would have on the Sonic fan base, as we have been used to Mike Pollock voicing Eggman since 2005 in Shadow (2003 if you count Sonic X).

This isn't the first time I seen a lot of disliking when a long established voice actor gets replaced as seen in this trailer compared to the games.

For those who don't know Sly's voice in this trailer is Not the same voice actor from the games (games trailers is below the movie trailer). Kevin Miller voiced Sly since 2002 and has voiced Sly in every game up to 2013. Then this trailer was released with another voice actor, going by the name of Ian James Cortlett. This caused a lot of negativity in the Sly community, but a lot of people looked over this and still enjoyed the trailer. But since the film is put on hold, we got the TV show which should release later this year. Now Kevin Miller has said that he would be open to doing the show, so we may still get Sly's original voice actor in the show.

But anyways guys we all knew this was coming that the current Sonic voice cast was going to be replaced for the Sonic film. They might keep some of the current voice cast in the film (like Ratchet & Clank) but it's Not very likely.

Now this could be a repeat of the Paul Rudd situation so I think it'd be better if we wait 24 hours or so before getting excited for this bit of Sonic Movie news.

So, I think the reason why they casted Jim instead of keeping Mike as an Eggman for the movie is that Mike never acted in movies. He is an voice actor.

So, I’m not sure about this guy, but hopefully he can pull it off well.

I expected him to look similar to like this in the movie.:

34A4F0B8-4CC3-46E8-A035-BEB926289467.thumb.jpeg.f866b91c94d99af3e37bb552a36dd6a0.jpeg

• Thumbs Up 1

I... am shocked, in all the right ways. xDD

I was already going to see this movie no matter what, but with this news… I absolutely MUST see this movie.

If it goes through, of course - I’m half expecting this news to be shot down or proven false tomorrow. xD 

1 hour ago, SenEDDtor Missile said:

Is this going to end up being some kind of weird twist where it turns out the whole movie is about Carrey's Robotnik and Tom the Cop being people who believe they are who they are role-wise, but in reality are stuck in a fictional town in a Truman Show esque reality with a talking hedgehog?

Also I still can't picture Jim Carrey as Robotnik. Does not compute.

So this Onion article but as the plot of an official Sonic the Hedgehog movie? I admit to being interested in it and the reveal being that Sonic was playing Bugs Bunny behind the curtains would fit this Meta Era of Sonic the Hedgehog a little too well

I am still utterly baffled by this but I'm hoping that it's the plot of all of these bad movies from the last decade but taken up to 11 with someone who subverts all of it. Which given Tim Miller's track record with Deadpool and his previous experience with Sonic sounds like it could actually work maybe. 

I just have to hope that it would also have about the same amount of dedication to heart where something actually does happen to matter in the grand scheme of things to help it all add up to a fun movie at the very least with something meaningful to say. What that could be is... hmm. I just hope whatever it is pans better than Pontac and Graff's writing setup of being given a plot and characters to stand around and quip. Because Marvel characters may quip a lot but hell, they do big meaningful stuff while doing  Cosmic Space Dad Eldritch Horrors, a duo who play Ant Farm, a man with monumental anxiety problems who turns into a giant, and making that all work on film and getting people invested into the universe somehow (even as someone here may want to point out that it's a "fad" and surely it's going to go away at some point, but to be honest that happens for a lot of things). 

After nailing comic book movies is getting video game movies to go right and Rampage did a surprisingly good job of being a big monster movie where animals smash stuff up and fight stuff. It was better than the last Godzilla (okay by that I mean from Warner Bros and Gareth Edwards, Shin Godzilla is incredible) at being a monster movie. 

I'm kind of hoping for the connections of the team to past Sonic stuff to pan out for the best here to help give us some kind of surprisingly good movie but that hope's a little too high to be realistic so I'm settling on something around being the Batman Forever of videogame movies. Maybe this is the Street Fighter of today's generation. Eheheheheheheheee.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Who the hell at Sega seriously allowed this project to happen?  Are they actually trying to make this century's Super Mario Bros. movie?  I mean the similarities are getting scary now.  An otherwise great cast being totally wasted in a film that has virtually no understanding of the source material it's adapting.  Is it really too much to ask for a decent animated feature instead, or has the fanbase, or even the franchise not suffered enough for its sins?

1 hour ago, QuantumEdge said:

Who the hell at Sega seriously allowed this project to happen?  Are they actually trying to make this century's Super Mario Bros. movie?  I mean the similarities are getting scary now.  An otherwise great cast being totally wasted in a film that has virtually no understanding of the source material it's adapting.  Is it really too much to ask for a decent animated feature instead, or has the fanbase, or even the franchise not suffered enough for its sins?

How do you know they're being wasted? We barely know anything about the movie.  I dont get the hate so many have for something they know virtually nothing about. 

And this movie can still be good while taking liberties. Spider-Man: Homecoming took MANY liberties with the characters but it was still a great movie 

Jim Carrey confirms he is the Eggman.

I think this could work out. Carrey's a good actor. It was predictable Eggman wouldn't look like his game counterpart once we found out it was live-action/CG hybrid, so I'd expect something more along the lines of 06's design.

• Thumbs Up 3