Awoo.

Christopher Evan Welch, R.I.P. (NOT TAILS VOICE)

Big Panda

Yeah I didn't think he was either, it's probably an error on the site. The only other thing I can think of is checking out this guys old school websites and see if they've done a tribute to him?

The Variety piece has several people who went to school with Christopher and they do not dispute the age.

I think his age at being 48 is correct.

The question is if he did indeed voice Tails. Which is looking less and less like he did.

Also where is the source that says Tails' VA was 11 at the time? And the reason for Chris Turner replacing him? I know it's mentioned on retro, but whats the source for that?

I think his age at being 48 is correct.

The question is if he did indeed voice Tails. Which is looking less and less like he did.

Also where is the source that says Tails' VA was 11 at the time? And the reason for Chris Turner replacing him? I know it's mentioned on retro, but whats the source for that?

There is no source that I am aware of. It may have been speculation. However, if the series Tails was indeed voiced by a child, then it would make total sense to replace him with a different child three years later. It can be confirmed that Chris Turner was a child in 1996, and since he continued acting we can confirm that he is the same Chris Turner. 

Update: a friend of the family replied to my inquiry stating "I believe this is a miscredit", and I was directed to his agents who could potentially give me a solid answer. At the moment, it looks like Christopher Evan Welch did not voice Tails.

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/12/05/op-ed-was-christopher-evan-welch-the-same-christopher-welch-that-voiced-tails/

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/12/05/op-ed-was-christopher-evan-welch-the-same-christopher-welch-that-voiced-tails/

I have reached out to Christopher Evan Welch’s talent agency Paradigm in New York and the credit of Tails attributed to Christopher Evan Welch is “not accurate”. Thank you to Courtney of Paradigm for her help.

This means that the voice actor for Tails, Christopher Welch, is a different person entirely and may still be out there.

• Thumbs Up 1

I am so proud of myself. Tastefully contacting friends, getting in touch with a New York talent agency. :)

Sad that a great actor is dead, but this means Tails is still a mystery.

What a riot that was.

Well at least the voice of Tails might be alive and well, though it's still unfortunate to see someone go regardless.

To be honest, we don't know what happened to the AoStH Tails VA. We don't know where he lives or his job or even if he himself is alive or dead. Though I suspect he is from British Columbia and was around 11 in 1993.

My guess... either he's left the business (acting) or is working under a completely different name and doesn't want to be credited to it.

Well, it's good to hear that Tails' VA might still be alive after all.

But still, my condolences to the friends and loved ones of Christopher Evan Welch.  I'm sure he'll be missed dearly. :c

Yeah, it is sad that this guy is dead, but if he wasn't the Tails VA, it is good to hear he may still be around. If he has never worked again and doesn't want to be found, it could always be a case of, he is embarrassed that he did it as a kid and doesn't want people knowing it was him to where they may make fun of him or something for being some kiddie VA. It also could simply, he just never realized any of this has happened or that the  shows was popular and still has people that think of it. Either way, sad for the departed actor, but nice that the Tails VA may still be around.

UPDATE 3: Another confirmation, this time from Christopher Evan Welch himself. A friend of his contacted me and told me “I asked Chris about it a couple of years ago and he said it was a mistake.” Also the voice of Coconuts, Ian James Corlett, informed us that the recording for the show took place in British Columbia, meaning Christopher Welch was likely a young boy from that area much like his 1996 replacement.

I wanted to present a great scene featuring him and Philip Seymour Hoffman in The Master:

• Thumbs Up 1

The silver lining in all this is that the mistake brought him to the attention of millions of people who otherwise might not have heard of him. His passing is still tragic, as are all passings, but now even more people have been able to express their condolences for the family. Rest in Peace.

Kudos to Barry and all others for having worked to clear up the confusion.

• Thumbs Up 1

The silver lining in all this is that the mistake brought him to the attention of millions of people who otherwise might not have heard of him. His passing is still tragic, as are all passings, but now even more people have been able to express their condolences for the family. Rest in Peace.

Kudos to Barry and all others for having worked to clear up the confusion.

Thanks! And I agree. If it wasn't for the Tails miscredit, I would not have noticed that Chris appeared in some of my favorite movies including "The Master", which I still say was the best film of 2012.

So someone has pointed this out.

Theres 2 sites online which have the following as Tails' VA Christopher Stephen Welch.

http://www.sonicdream.net/anime/aosth/

http://en.wikifur.com/wiki/Miles_%22Tails%22_Prower

Have no idea where they got that middle name from, but this is the first time I've ever seen that middle name batted about. Not that it really matters since if the guy doesn't want to be found, probably best to leave him be.

IMDB really needs to update their page on AoSTH he is still listed as the voice actor for Tails but if go on his own IMDB page he is not listed as the voice actor of tails.

I got to admit when first heard about the news I thought it was really impressive for a male in their mid 20's back in 1991 to do a pitch perfect impression of a 11 year old boy.

Then I thought somehow I don't see a then upon and coming actor who went on to star in Law & Order, among other dramas as well as Shakespearian stage performances. Would voice act great lines like "Goo, Goo, Poo, Poo" and if he did I doubt it would be a career highlight.   

Seriously RIP to the Christopher Evan Welch and condolences to his family. 

• Thumbs Up 1

IMDB really needs to update their page on AoSTH he is still listed as the voice actor for Tails but if go on his own IMDB page he is not listed as the voice actor of tails.

I got to admit when first heard about the news I thought it was really impressive for a male in their mid 20's back in 1991 to do a pitch perfect impression of a 11 year old boy.

Then I thought somehow I don't see a then upon and coming actor who went on to star in Law & Order, among other dramas as well as Shakespearian stage performances. Would voice act great lines like "Goo, Goo, Poo, Poo" and if he did it I doubt it would be a career highlight.   

Seriously RIP to the Christopher Evan Welch and condolences to his family. 

That was me. I removed all 65 of the AoStH credits from his profile, but can't figure out how to edit crew info on the AoStH page.

Also, more info from the voice of Coconuts: https://twitter.com/IanJames007/status/408986083406254081

Voice of Tails was from Seattle, likely recorded in LA with Jaleel

• Thumbs Up 1

• 4 months later...

I wanna say Detective SSMB strikes again.

But this is more Inspector SEGABits is on the case.

• Thumbs Up 4

Dont forget Detective Big is backing him up

boombig_copy.png

• Thumbs Up 2

Update: I've found the real Chris Welch! I'm hoping to get a interview or at least a comment from him. What I can say is he still lives in Canada, and gave up acting when he was 13. He was in various commercials, and of course played Tails. He sounds alive and well, though!

Awesome! <3 - I hope he'll agree to an interview.  I'd love to hear his thoughts on AoSTH.

Haha! Thanks! Well he sent me a friendly reply with a few behind the scenes details and his thoughts on the Evan Welch mix-up - I'll post a story up on SEGAbits tomorrow morning. 

But everybody keep clicking over to SEGAbits in anticipation so we can obtain more hits!

• Thumbs Up 4