Awoo.

Christopher Evan Welch, R.I.P. (NOT TAILS VOICE)

Big Panda

This hasn't been reported anywhere else here as far as I can see.

Christopher Welch, who played Tails in the Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, has passed away. He was 48. So young...

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/christopher-evan-welch-actor-on-stage-and-screen-and-tv-dies-in-l-a-1200911109/

A moment of silence for one of the earliest vocal talents to bring our favourite fox to life.

UPDATE: So after some suspicion concerning the article due to inaccuracies, it's been confirmed by Welch's agency that this is NOT the Chris Welch who played Tails in the show.

But all the same, this guy was a respected actor with quite a few roles under his belt, and 48 is still a hell of a young age to go, and we should still feel sympathy and give our condolences to his loved ones.

• Thumbs Up 9

Um, Mr Welch is/was 30/31, not 48. He was a youngster when he voiced AoStH Tails.

Is there two Christopher Welch's in the acting field and if so they may have gotten mixed-up?

The article says he was believed to be 48 (implying they whern't sure of his age) It also lists his first TV role as being Tails. I'll have to look into that one...

EDIT: Yeah, this is the same guy. Christopher Evan Welch.

Um, Mr Welch is/was 30/31, not 48. He was a youngster when he voiced AoStH Tails.

Is there two Christopher Welch's in the acting field and if so they may have gotten mixed-up?

It seems that Jolly is right about being the same Christopher because even IMDb has him as being Tails back in the day.

Oh my :(

This is sad. AoStH was a part of my childhood and it's portrayal of Tails highly endearing due in part to Mr Welch's awesome VA'ing. 48 is no age to depart this world at.

RIP.

• Thumbs Up 3

Oh God part of my soul's just died reading this.

What a young age to go out on. This doesn't feel right at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

AoSTH's Tails was always one of my favorite (if not my absolute favorite) renditions of that character. That being said, I'm pretty upset by this news. Rest in peace: neither you or your work will be forgotten.

It seems a bit secretive and also a bit sad that someone passed away in hospital without explaining very much. 48 is pretty young to die so it must have been something serious. It is upsetting to write this actually...

So long Chris Welch, while I don't really know from your other roles I knew that you did, you were important enough to be in Broadway and Law and Order (Dun-dun) entertaining people to make them happy or enjoyed. I give condolences to your family and your friends.

Update: Sorry that I got the wrong Christopher Welch and edited as such. It's like the time where there were two people called Matt Furniss, both in the video game industry (one was a video game composer, the other wasn't) and places like Mobygames got them confused.

Damn that's depressing, and so suddenly at such a young age. <=( I liked his voice for Tails too, it was sweet...

RIP Chris Welch.

I watched AoSth dubbed in Italian, so I don't have nostalgic feelings for his voice, but I would lie if I said that his Tails wasn't an adorable little furball. And being 48 years old (if that was really his age) is still being too darn young to die. R.I.P.

I've always liked Tails voice in AOSTH:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBLDG-WB54U

So young to go at 48. sad.png

RIP. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ouch. :/

Admittedly, the only part of this that makes me raise an eyebrow... 48? That means he'd have been in his mid to late twenties when he voiced Tails, who I'd always believed and as far as I'm aware, was voiced by a child at the time. So it feels like they've either got the wrong guy or the wrong age. That, or the guy had a crazy good vocal range.

I feel like another piece of my childhood has vanished from this plain of existence.  Welch's portrayal of Tails was simply adorable and probably one of my favorite takes on the role.

Rest in peace.  48 is far too young.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay, what the hell is with people dying so fucking YOUNG?! Agh!

Geez what a crazy world we're in nowadays!

Not my favorite tails VA but one of the better ones. his best job as tails is tails new home but dang may he R.I.P.

Now every time I watch "Tails's New Home," also known as my favorite episode of AoStH, I'm gonna think of the bad ending of Sonic 2. Rest in peace, fellow Tails voice actor.

That really sucks :( He was easily my favorite cartoon Tails voice, second to only Kate Higgins. RIP buddy, you were awesome.

OK I am going to play the slight skeptic here... I am not sure this is the same Christopher Evan Welch. I thought it was a kid that played him in AOSTH, not a then-20 something year old.

I wonder if someone like Jaleel White or another AOSTH cast member could confirm this is the same one...?

OK I am going to play the slight skeptic here... I am not sure this is the same Christopher Evan Welch. I thought it was a kid that played him in AOSTH, not a then-20 something year old.

I wonder if someone like Jaleel White or another AOSTH cast member could confirm this is the same one...?

The journalists are pulling a number out of their backsides. He was 31, he did Tails when he was 11.

The journalists are pulling a number out of their backsides. He was 31, he did Tails when he was 11.

Well it is articles like these that make me question the validity of it: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/artspage/2013/12/03/actor-christopher-evan-welch-had-deep-seattle-roots

Based on those pictures of him on stage back in 1993/95, he certainly is a lot older than 13-15 he would have been at the time. Hence the reason for my skepticism that there is a DIFFERENT actor with the same name that somehow got mistaken for this one.

The article also says he had been battling cancer. It still is a sad story - I remember seeing him on the short-lived Rubicon - but my skepticism still stands.

Well it is articles like these that make me question the validity of it: http://blogs.seattletimes.com/artspage/2013/12/03/actor-christopher-evan-welch-had-deep-seattle-roots

Based on those pictures of him on stage back in 1993/95, he certainly is a lot older than 13-15 he would have been at the time. Hence the reason for my skepticism that there is a DIFFERENT actor with the same name that somehow got mistaken for this one.

The article also says he had been battling cancer. It still is a sad story - I remember seeing him on the short-lived Rubicon - but my skepticism still stands.

It's awfully strange since those photos don't look like him at all...at least, I can't see any resemblance.

This feels like a massive mystery because there's definitely a mix up.

So I dug up two recent pictures, down in the spoilers

The Christopher Evan Welch from that Rubicon:

rgrant.jpg

And Christopher Evan Welch who died:

446508_1.jpg

The nose doesn't match, the chin doesn't match, the Rubicon one has a retreating hairline while the other has anything but that.

Ehh, uhh...yeah. What do you think?